[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grizlly man - documentary, opinions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

So I was watching this documentary and I really enjoy it so far.
You really get a sence of this special man and what kinda stuff he wanted to do in his life.
But I gotta admit the main narrator's accent is kinda annoying to listen to, call me racist, but it's clear his english is poor and that he's just reading from a script, and that kinda ruins it.
But what do you guys think?
About the movie and also Timmothy Treadwell?
>>
I came at it like you would with one of those "to catch a killer" type docs. It was an interesting look into what motivated the guy to go out and get him and his wife eaten.
>>
>>944357
Racist? He's German you dumbass.
>>
>>944357
that dude was an idiot. im not surprised he was eaten....
>>
>But I gotta admit the main narrator's accent is kinda annoying to listen to, call me racist, but it's clear his english is poor and that he's just reading from a script, and that kinda ruins it.
It's Werner Herzog, he's known for his good documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF5xBtaL3YI

You're just a sheltered snowflake.
>>
>>944357
great documentary. treadwell was an absolute basket case. it is abvious he had a tons of mental problems coupled with the fact that he could not accept being gay.
>>
>>944392
what he had one fatal bear attack out of a thousand encounter? i agree tho he and his wife should have had bear spray at the very least.
you can still make friends with bears if you carry.
>>
>>944422
also i think what fucked him over is simple cultural misunderstanding. you see he thought the bears will accept him as one of them, but he seemed to forget that bears eat each other too if food is scarce.
>>
Bretty gud watch but a few thoughts:

Herzog has an agenda in that he's been making movies since the 70s showing the brutality of nature and how man is incompatible with it or something along those lines.

Treadwell was obviously a bit retarded and lived in a fantasy world.

Imo i think Herzog and Treadwell both had the wrong attitude towards nature. We're not violently opposed to it nor are we harmoniously connected to every aspect of it. There's some synthesis of these views where we must acknowledge our alienation from but also our interconnection woth nature. That probably means preserving the ecology of bears from a distance. Respect and reverence without delusion.
>>
>>944357

It's ok.

The perfect example of how humans are more alone than they think, and they make up all these stories and narratives to make sense of the world, but in the end nature runs parallel to them regardless and relentless.

The guy was lonely and invented the narrative that bears were humanoid and his friends, then who the fuck knows why nature kept on going. The bears are still there after this guy was gone.

I really like the pilot singing in the end.

We dont know anything about anything, I think this film was about that.
>>
>>944812
>We dont know anything about anything
well maybe you don't.
>>
Has the audio recording of the bear attack been released yet
>>
>>944821
Don't think so, would be fucking brutal, in the movie they say it should be destroyed.
>>
>>944412
Just cause he's known for making good stuff dosn' mean everything he makes is gold. Steven Spielberg made Jurassic park, yea, but he also made A.I.
>>
>>944852
You went with A.I and not Indiana Jones 4?
>>
>>944357
"Special" indeed.

His stay with the bears was his attempt to do something with his life after trying to drink himself to death. He was tactless and stupid and caused more damage than good to those bears and was completely delusional about how he was "saving" them.

Cool movie though.
>>
>>944357
I enjoyed it a lot, the same director also made Happy People in the Taiga, which is one of my favorite documentaries.

>>944430
I feel like Herzog is more so trying to say that natural living isn't easy. I don't really get the sense from him that he thinks we're incompatible with it, just that the homestead fantasy isn't what a lot of people think it is. It's been a while but I feel like he comments on it a bit in Cave of Forgotten Dreams, talking about how cave art was an expression of frustration or fear or something like that. He also brings up how people are more inclined to change their environment than to adapt to it (e.g. the nuclear powerplant upstream that caused albino crocodiles). Of all his subjects, the people interested in primitive skills seem to be cast in the best light, so I feel like he doesn't reject the idea that we can adapt, just that it's harder and less appealing to most people.
>>
>>944357
I love Herzogs stuff so first off it was really enjoyable

on another note i found it very interesting in terms of bear safety/behavior.
That timothy was able to interact for years with the bears is a bit of a testament to how relatively safe you are barring making a lot of mistakes. It was incredible that he pushed the envelope so far without catastrophe. But starving bears are starving bears and nature dont give a fuck
>>
Fucking retarded shit, why anyone would mess around with bears is beyond me.
>>
>>944821

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ
>>
>>945536
Why do i feel like that is fake
>>
>>945659
I don't know.

Why?
>>
Idk man it just seems.. Fake
The bear sounds sound weird to me idk
It doesn't sound as violent as I'd expect. Also the screaming girl in the background yelling "FIGHT BACK" doesn't help
>>
>>944424
Yea, he acted like a child, It's no surprise if he thought like one too. Animals can't think though, friends
>>
>>944819
WE DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHINGS SMARTYPANTS
>>
>>945659
Because humans this stage of the game don't think death is possible, and his voice sounds like a cartooon?
>>
>>946060
>Animals can't think
now you just betray your ignorance, animals have demonstrated learning and strategic thinking thousands of times in a scientifically documented manner.

they are not very smart but they do think and they to weigh options. some of them even understands basic economics.
>>
>>945858
Even if the real thing gets released, nobody will believe it. Its been sought after for too long. Either believe this is real or forget about it.

Its fake though.
>>
>>948618
Also carry bearmace and a ruger alaskan redhawk.

Shit if I'm gonna be mauled by bears while playing herpetologist.

Heck, I'll die via a venemous snake though.
>>
>>948619
>herpetologist
make snek noises to bear it will find a tree and climb it real fast
>>
>>946146

Conscious thought is a spectrum, not an either/or question. If people understood this, we wouldn't have this debate.

The blurred area between introspective analysis of actions and instictive motions is very difficult to describe with words. Most mammals are not conscious, but it is a mistake to say that they cannot have some limited cognitive understanding of the world around them that could be deemed 'intelligent'.
>>
>>949445
thinking, consciousness and intelligence is three totally different things.
way to go and muck the water up!
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.