[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on pile/pertex purchase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1411723148-23218600.jpg (81KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1411723148-23218600.jpg
81KB, 1000x1000px
I need help guys,

I have the opportunity to buy pic related (Montane Extreme Smock) locally for £40 (RRP is about £120).

I wear a fleece/pertex smock in the cooler months and really rate the system.It's perfect for spring and autumn.

But I'm wondering what kind of useable temperature range I'm going to get out of the Montane.

It'll be for winter / alpine use. I run cold and I'm not a fan of adding / removing layers, don't own any shells currently. It's a kilo of pile fleece, will it be too warm in reality?

So what should I do, buy or pass?
>>
Grab it! Montane make gret gear abd that's a good price. Any chance you can get two? Id be very interested if so!
>>
Yeah I'm going to pick it up anyway. If it's too warm I can pass it on.

Srsly tho what's happened to /out/
if it's not about something shiny consumer shit like knives you get no activity...

Guess no one else is a fan of pile and pertex.
>>
Pile and pertex is a good combination, but the extreme smock is definitely for the winter only. Its its much above 0 you'll cook wearing it doing any real activity. However, strangely enough it doesn't feel that warm if you were just standing about.
>>
>>944485
>However, strangely enough it doesn't feel that warm if you were just standing about.

What makes you say that?
>>
>>944775

Because its no warmer than a decent fleece. Synthetic fill jackets with similar weight are far warmer than pile and pertex clothing. The pile is there to soak up sweat and move it to the outside to be evaporated off, if it was too thick it wouldn't be able to do this as well.
>>
>>944804
Yes but if you stop after activity wearing any clothing you usually need to layer up.

I wouldn't want another pile layer as a static layer.

The medium is a kilo so not too bad as long as you're wearing it most of the time.
>>
>>945111

And that's what i mean, its not as warm as you would think as an insulation layer, so you'll need another on top or as a replacement
>>
>>945308

It's not designed as an insulation layer really tho is it.

I'm sure it's plenty warm compared to an equiv weight fleece, added bonus of windproofness and venting options

but of course it's not going to be as warm weight for weight as primaloft or down filled jackets.

I wonder what a good static layer would be to pair with something like this. I was thinking maybe even a paclite type waterproof might be good
>>
>>943842
Seems like a good price. I wouldn't know much about the thermal properties of it but the "soft" kind of material in these things alway worries me; I always think that just a stray gorse needle or a scrape from a rock will ruin the outer layer....
>>
>>946938
Pertex classic is tough as shit. I think its classic six on the extreme, only problem with it is the shite dwr but durability is almost a non issue
>>
>>945424
Ive got a buffalo teclite shirt, so a little warmer than this, and ive found an oversized primaloft belay type jacket to work best. Stick it on when you stop, take it off when you go. Down jackets would get soaked too fast, and considerimg the pile/pertex works fine wet sticking a shell on just makes everything a bit sweatier
Shell pants is a no brainer tho
>>
>>946966

A Buffalo techlite is far thinner than the extreme. Its more like their tecmax
>>
>>947242

The extreme would still need an over layer if you stop in cold weather (Which it will be unless you enjoy sweating to death) otherwise you'll chill badly.
>>
>>946966
teclite looks roughly equivalent to my MOD PCS lightweight thermal smock - pertex and fleece.

Yeah I'm thinking a primaloft jacket. I have a down jacket atm, but wouldn't fit even if I wanted to use it over the top, nevermind the moisture considerations.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.