[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boots for hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Walking-boots1.jpg (54KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
Walking-boots1.jpg
54KB, 250x225px
I'm going to go for a full out 7 day hike in Iceland in the summer (Laugavegur), anybody know what sort of boots would suit the climate and terrain? I have some in mind, but maybe someone knows better
>>
>>943537
Honestly, for a 7 day trip in those conditions it's going to come down to comfort, really. Your best bet is to go try on a few pairs and see what's good for you.
>>
>>943769
I'll be checking out different stores, any features I should look out for?
>>
>>943778
I don't know what brands you can come by where you live but I'll highly recommend Hanwag or Meindl.
How much does it rain in Iceland in the summer? I have been using leather boots similar to the ones in your pic without goretex for many years. Usually they're water-proof "enough" with the use of wax. But this summer I was on a long hike in Scotland and there I would really have loved some boots with a membrane
>>
>>943797
I live in Moscow, there's a good milsurp/militaria style store nearby, don't know if you're any good with Russian, but that's their site for boots http://natouniforma ru/index.php/ancle-boots.html As for the weather, it's unpredictable, but mostly not a lot of rain in the summer, although I will be crossing medium/small streams.
>>
>>943811
Yeah, my Russian is not that good (non-existant). The best advise I can give you is to talk to the people at the store and hope that they know their stuff. Be sure to tell them about what kind of activity you are going to be doing (hiking - on or off trail? How heavy backpack?). Be shure to get a boot that FEELS good on your foot. Make sure that your heel doesn't slip/rub when you walk. Make sure that your toes have enough space - they should never touch the tip of your boot, not even when walking down hill.
If the store allows it then take the boots home and try them for some time indoors, before deciding. And try several different kinds.

As I said, I have been using all-leather boots with no membrane for years now and have been happy with that, but a waterproof membrane would maybe be a good idea for your trip.
>>
File: Moab Vent.jpg (69KB, 790x657px) Image search: [Google]
Moab Vent.jpg
69KB, 790x657px
>>943537
I post this every boot thread - MOAB Ventilators by Merrell.

Hands down the best ever for 3 season hiking - not the best for winter. With winds exceeding 10mph you can actually feel the vents in your feet - not a good feeling when it's 20 degrees outside in the middle of the day.
>>
>>945409
Following up on the post; I've trekked through quite a few streams, and slipped into water while fishing even moreso. These fuckers will be dry faster than I can get a change of socks on. I have one pair now, but I'll be buying at least two more soon.
>>
>>945409
>>945411
They also have mid rise boots if you prefer that style. Depending on weather and terrain, the normal height works perfectly - If you feel like you're going to be quite adventurous and need the extra ankle support, go for the mid length.
>>
File: MOAB Vent MidRise.jpg (78KB, 790x657px) Image search: [Google]
MOAB Vent MidRise.jpg
78KB, 790x657px
>>945412
Forgot pic
>>
>>945409
Bought my 4th pair last week. had a devil of a time trying to find them. 2 local retailers were out of stock completely went to REI they had a pair on display. Only size 8 & 13 in stock. Went to amazon bought the last pair of 10. Contacted Merrell. Cuz wtf?

Response from merrell

>Hi Annon,

>Thank you for contacting Merrell. What we are doing is coming out with a New Moab 2 style, they will be coming out in Mid Feburary to March. The older styles are being phased out at this time.
>Have a great rest of your day.
>Kind Regards
>Chris B
>Merrell Consumer Relations

So get them while you can. By far the best shoes I've ever bought
>>
I'm seconding Merrell Moabs.

The absolute best shoe in general for anything that isnt specialized.

I wish they made slightly higher ones. You need gaiters with them sometimes.
>>
>>945369
>toes can't touch the tip of boot

I run into the problem that if I leave a thumb width space like you're supposed to, the boots are gigantic and clonky because size 13 feet.

So don't go overboard, OP. Maybe half a thumb's width or something if you have the same problem, but then again usually you cannot get size 12.5 in my case or something like that. Rip.
>>
Anybody have advice for boots that would work in Canadian spring, fall, and summer? It would mean it can be wet with slushy melting snow, rainy, or hot and dry. Am I asking too much for one pair of boots here?

Warmth is not an issue because I wouldn't use these below about -5C anyway.
>>
File: Hawag Tatra Wide.png (600KB, 750x550px) Image search: [Google]
Hawag Tatra Wide.png
600KB, 750x550px
>>945670
I guess that you'd want ones with membrane as well because of all that wetness. If you're going through bog then you wan't them to be kinda high or at least semi-high.
So depending on how tough contra how light you want them to be (leather is toughest, synthetic is lightest) either leather or synthetic boots with a semi-tall ancle and a water proof membrane. Don't get the stiffest boots since you want them to work well with lighter/no loads on your back - unless you do a lot of walking on loose rocks with a heavy pack of course.

I don't live in Canada or know the terrain, but I'm looking at these myself for my next boot. Maybe they'll interest you? Hanwags are pricy but top notch quality. This model is called Tatra Wide GTX. It has a "big brother" called Alaska GTX which is a bit stiffer and with higher ancle.
>>
>>945648

A higher moab boot would be perfect. I like Merrells because they make a true wide which fits my EEEE feet.
>>
File: howtochoosebootsoutstyle.jpg (133KB, 1009x378px) Image search: [Google]
howtochoosebootsoutstyle.jpg
133KB, 1009x378px
>>943778
>>
>>943811

This boards now are occupied by ruskies. How about met up in Moscow btw?
>>
File: IMG_20170208_174332_444.jpg (54KB, 428x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170208_174332_444.jpg
54KB, 428x640px
Kinda-sorta related. Anyone know where to get the repair parts for my Salomons? Fell apart on my first outing. I emailed Salomon but they said since the model is over 2 years old, I'm SOL... Which sucks cause this was the first real outting they went on.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.