[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boot thread died and I had a question. I am looking at danner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 46

File: 61021.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
61021.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Boot thread died and I had a question. I am looking at danner elk hunters to replace my crap hunting boots. I wanted an insulated American made boot with welted soles. These fit the bill does anyone have any experience or opinion of these?
>>
File: DannerVicious.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DannerVicious.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>943352
I have the Danner Vicious model. They work well for me, so I have a good opinion of the brand. That's all I got for ya though.
>>
>>943368
good lookin boot
>>
>>943352
>>943368
/fa/ here. These boots are ugly af. Yuck!
>>
>>943703
fuck you /fa/

/out/ is a utilitarianist board you bourgeois scum
>>
im from Oregon
have worn a number of danners
not insulated but you should check out Wesco boots (oregon too) not insulated either but they are even better built than danners they are a favorite with loggers and wildfire guys. i own a pair of high liners (climbing ).
the packer and fir change estormer same quality better to change sox than to have boots too hot for warm foot days imho they very waterproof too.
>>
Made a thread here, but didn't get any replies, I'm sort of new to hiking, so I do not own a pair of boots for hiking. Can anyone recommend anything specifc? Companies/tips etc. I will be going to Iceland for a week
>>
>>943712
Thanks anon, will do.
>>943703
Boo hoo, and here I thought deer would be lured in by my style in boots.
>>
>>943703
Are you blind? The Elk Hunters are sexy as all hell
>>
>>943703
yep, that's why you faggots wind up wearing palladums (converse all-stars with shitty canvas) and BDSM boots with silly laces and zippers.
>>
>>943801
I don't get those /fa/gs either, not only is their shit less functional, but usually much more expensive AND looking like shit as well
>>
>>943801
> Googles palladium boots
Holy shit they are hipster Chuck Taylors
>>
not at all what you are looking for
but for life and death situation (cold weather) a all rubber boot can be swamped, removed and dried out with your undies wring out wool socks or put on your spares socks.
with insulated insides imagine them getting wet and then spending the rest of the day next to fire drying them out. if you can get fire started in the rain or snow. for ice fishing we only wear 100% rubber knee high type boots the boots in picture are $36 USD.
>>
>>943903
Are those comfortable to hike in? How do you overcome wetting out in those?

Also, where do you get those? Reverse image search was annoying.
>>
>>943809
That's the irony right? Less useful, less comfortable, more expensive and they STILL look like clowns.
>>
I haven't bought a boot in 6 years. I still have untouched sv2 in my closet. We used to get them free.

Personally, i think all welted sole waterproof rugged boots are a gimmick. Which is why light boots became a thing with the sappers and rangers. But i made fun of those fags too.

No boot is magic. Learn howto take care of your feet.

Sappers lead the way. Build and fight.
>>
Serious question from someone who has never been hunting

What's the difference between a pair of hiking boots and a pair of hunting boots? It looks like most hunting boots are taller, is that it? Why do you need taller boots, and could you hunt in hiking boots (or vice versa)
>>
>>943938
Definitely true sapper anon, no boot is magic. The more you try to get a "does everything boot" the less you get a boot that does one thing particularly well. I was a hardcore trail-runner fag for many years, would laugh at people making a go of Asolos & other heavy hiker models while out.

Not OP, but I've been getting interested in heavier boots lately though, I guess I'm getting more into footwear that lasts longer (I ain't on uncle sam's payroll) and that I could comfortably work in. I guess it comes from a desire to find the mythical happy medium of the "do everything that you will likely need to do comfortably boot"
>>
>>944031
Mostly taller and more insulation. Sitting in tree stands or blinds for hours on end in -10 wind chill doesn't really require freedom of movement and following a blood trail through thick undergrowth is a bit easier to just stomp it down. That is my personal experience.

>>943938
I was looking at welted for sake of years of use otherwise I was thinking of belleville 675 cold weather boots.
>>
>>943352

>American made

Why the fuck does that matter?

I buy the best I can get for the best price

I don't give a fuck where it's made

Your single purchase isn't going to turn the tides of globalisation, you do realise that right?
>>
>>944543
Personal preference, fuck stick.
>>
File: 1479760567605.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1479760567605.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>944543
Buy American if you're American or get the fuck out.
>>
>>944563
this
>>
>>943352
I have a buddy who works at Danner in Portland. Apparently they are awesome quality. And they have a great program for fixing them if you wreck em. But I've never owned a pair. Would love some though.
>>
File: 20170204_171218.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20170204_171218.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>944571
They're great. I was hesitant about dropping that kind of cash on hiking boots, but they're easily the most comfortable pair I've ever owned. Also the factory store is 30 min from my house and has insane discounts.
>>
Proud owner of the scarpa kailash
>>
File: Screenshot_21-1.png (1B, 486x500px)
Screenshot_21-1.png
1B, 486x500px
Gonna go hike in these tomorrow

Wish me luck
>>
>>943368
hmm I may gett these for myself. WHere can I get them cheap?
>>
>>943703
my man the first ones are gorgeous. the second pair i agree with you tho
>>
>>944631
Enjoy your sprained ankle!
>>
>>943926
those sound kind of miserable for hiking.
>breathability: zero
>sole likely quite uncomfortable
if you need hiking boots, i would suggest saving your money a bit longer. wear some old trainers for now or something. try to avoid puddles and streams.
>>
>>944631
Good luck! Report back, I want to see if they are completely worn out after one outing.
>>
>>944663
My ankles are too stronk from cheerleading

>>944671
I kinda hope they fall apart after 2 weeks so I can take them back to walmart and maybe the next pair will be tough.

I will report with how they fare
>>
>>944622
good boot, not indestructible though
>>
>>943703
Are you the anon that wanted "stylish" winter gear so they could walk their state in the snowy season and give off that "mysterious" vibe when they emerged from the storm? I ask because I wonder if he ever did it and if he DID did he die?
>>
>>944563
Buying American if American is a rip off. The quality is typically subpar for what you're getting on most imports. Though not for everything.
>>
>>943938
>>944045

Got a pair of these making love to my feet now and definitely agree with you two: good fit and light-weight uber allies. Gets soaked? Dump the water out, change socks and carry on. A boot that fits really well and is relatively light won't bother you nearly as much as some waterlogged meme boots that weigh as much as clogs and will rub your feet just as raw.

I've worn through the soles of 3 pairs of these without any failures in the upper.
>>
Hi /out/, first time to your board. I'm looking to buy a pair of hiking boots.

Often on other boards and generals you can find products that are generally agreed upon to be the best value for money. Do you guys have anything like that for hiking boots?
>>
>>944897
no.
Buy whatever is comfortable and practical for your needs.
>>
>>945057
I figured as much, given that it wasn't in the OP. Thanks anyway anon
>>
>>944631
>>944663
>>944671
Walked about 3 miles around a lake and wandered around Walmart for an hour and they held up fine
>>
>>944805
What is it like still living in the 90's?
>>
>>945073
Hell yeah dude! This board needs more people like you-
>buying gear that they can afford/that makes sense for them
>ACTUALLY USING IT
I really appreciate your post.

When I thru'd the Appalachian Trail I went through 7 pairs of shoes- one of which was a pair of Starter running shoes from wally world for like $15 (no other option, didn't wanna spend $$ on more expensive shit that didn't fit my needs). To be honest, they fell apart in three days. I was hiking 20+ miles a day, through PA at that point- the state is notorious for eating shoes because rocks rocks rocks. They basically fell apart so bad that I hiked the last few miles into the next town barefoot.

That said, your purpose made shoes might fair better. Keep us posted!
>>
File: boott.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
boott.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>944897
Salomon trail running or LaSportiva Wildcats are decent starting points. Trail runners/light hikers break in easy, are cheaper than full up hiking boots of the same quality, and are lighter.

Merrel Moabs seem to be pretty popular in the lightweight hiker category.

Or you could MAN THE FUCK UP AND BUY THE USGI JUNGLE BOOT. IF ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR OUR BOYS OVERSEAS ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOUR PANSY ASS. an' they like $30
'
>>
I need some lightweight boots with NO foot control. Heel cups hurt and arches make me under-pronate.

I've tried Merrell Moab Mid, Salomon Quest 4D 2, and Salomon Authentic LTR.

Who makes a fucking neutral hiking boot with modern materials?
>>
File: OC1069.png (1B, 486x500px)
OC1069.png
1B, 486x500px
>>945231
Will keep everyone updated on the 25$ walmart shoes

I have a bunch more time now that it's the second semester and I don't have shit except for practice 2x a week
>feels good man
>>
>>945083
I wouldn't know, I live in 2017.
>>
>>945243
just buy some adidas sambas and hike in them

sole is grippy enough and has no heel, cups, support or shanks
>>
>>945232
Oddly enough my Treemme logging boots have a triple stitch, it's not relevant to anything just interesting.
>>
>>943750
Yeah, if you'll be on trails, don't bother wearing boots.

Aside from needing time to break them in and allowing your feet to adjust to the new shape, which noobs never seem to do properly anyway, you also need to develop additional strength just to lift them with every step. Someone who walks 10 miles/day in tennis shoes will find that they can only do 4-6 miles in boots because their bodies aren't acclimated to initiating and arresting movement with such a large increase in weight.

On the other hand, if you're going to be climbing uneven and unstable terrain, well you probably shouldn't be going if you don't even know the basics about boots. Walk before you run as they say.
>>
File: Cheap.png (1B, 486x500px)
Cheap.png
1B, 486x500px
>>944677
>take them back to walmart
I'm a major proponent of this. They specifically request that manufacturers make products with early failure rates. They do this, not only because it forces the customer to need to purchase a replacement product sooner, but because when people begin to rely on these cheap products, the constant replacements force them further into poverty, reinforcing the customers' inabilities to buy more expensive quality products. Basically, shopping at WM is like getting addicted to cocaine, the more you do it, the more reliant you become on it.
>>
>>945419
This
The only things I buy from Walmart is ammo.
>>
>>945232
Trail runners are good only if you are on trail. lf you climb on snowy or rocky hills off road, if you like foraging for mushrooms, wild plants, asparagus you need stable ankles and protection to thorns, rocks roots etc so high cut technical boots are a better choose imho
>>
>>945232
No thank you I like my boots to have some cushioning
>>
>>945419
I figure if they shit out within the first month I'll be able to return them as defective and if I use them a lot and they last longer than a month I will think about a more permanent pair of hiking shoes
>>
Got a boot maintenence question- I scratched up one of my work boots by dropping a pallet of sheet metal on it and I'm worried that getting it soaked haswater has been making it worse. Should I be concerned? Is there a good sealing product I should apply? How should I take care of it? Pic related. They're timberland pro pit bosses steel toe, don't judge it's a very comfy boot.
>>
>>945597
Wow, this photo sucks. Sorry you know how phones are.
>>
>>945263
arches are too high and I want boots.

I have sneakers. What makes you think I don't have sneakers?
>>
>>945597
I wouldnt worry but you could always get sno-seal
>>
>>943801
Hey man don't knock palladiums. Pretty decent footwear there, better grip than chucks on rough surfaces, just not wet super smooth stuff.
>>
>>943809
>>943927
Ever talk to these people or just seen one of their "reviews" on youtube. Motherfuckers must have low iq or are just so self-absorbed they don't care to know anything else about the world or what they are talking about. I love that they do "reviews" of shit the moment they get them or after a day or two and don't talk at all about the details or personal experience other than "they good/comfy" then spend the large majority of video showing off.
>>
File: baroque-costume-musketeer-003.jpg (88KB, 618x900px) Image search: [Google]
baroque-costume-musketeer-003.jpg
88KB, 618x900px
>>946515
I mean, we're talking about a group of people who come together to talk about not only how to present themselves to the world, but how to do it in a self-interested/unuseful/pretentious way. They'd cut their nuts off if it meant looking better. They got no sense.

I see where you're coming from with the youtube shit. Sometimes, I appreciate people taking the effort just to put up content, but by and large you're right. Never checked out the /fa/ggots on there but I can only imagine where their self-interested/unuseful/pretentious would take the shit they post.
>>
File: 1486597583917.jpg (54KB, 428x640px) Image search: [Google]
1486597583917.jpg
54KB, 428x640px
Speaking of boot maintenance. Anyone know where to get the replacement parts to get these salomon usable again? Bought a while back, took one ONE excusion, and the eyelets popped off at 3 points(2 on one shoe, 1 on the other)
>>
>>943352
Dont buy insulated boots my friend, by a pair of good leather boots, treat them with obenaufs or mink oil etc and wear 1-2 pairs of 100% wool socks or put a felt wool liner inside them. You might want to go a size up with them so you can fit the liner/socks in them.

Reason being is that insulated boots, when you get them wet, you cant get them dry anytime soon. You can leave them by a fire, the lining will melt, they will take forever to dry on their own and so on. A removable liner made of wool will absorb water and keep your feet dry to a point and they dry really fast by a fire.
>>
File: 1464759773521.jpg (7KB, 192x195px) Image search: [Google]
1464759773521.jpg
7KB, 192x195px
>>
File: 1478606866615.jpg (43KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1478606866615.jpg
43KB, 344x344px
just a general question. Are mil boots/mil surp boot good for innawoods or am I /k/ucked for thinking they might be?
>>
File: muddybeuts.jpg (14KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
muddybeuts.jpg
14KB, 260x194px
>>947555
They are the most perfect boot for innawoods. They don't fight wars in your parent's basement afterall!
>>
File: Comfy_Pence.jpg (8KB, 226x283px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_Pence.jpg
8KB, 226x283px
>>944631
Went 4 miles in these today. I used waterproof spray on them yesterday and I think it worked well although I only stepped in a creek once by accident and immediately shook the water off of them. Toes were dry the whole time and it rained yesterday so everything was a bit muddy

The tread isn't coming off in chunks or anything but the soles are kinda hard. An insert would probably help a lot.

They've held up for maybe 8-10 miles of trail so far and they're not bad off-trail either. I've got pretty muscular calves though and I do lots of flips and shit for cheerleading so my ankles are used to high impact stuff

I do not yet regret this purchase
>>
File: 2016-05-25_12-38-28.jpg (420KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-25_12-38-28.jpg
420KB, 1200x800px
>>947555
Everything pre-1990s is pretty much shit for that, only since then they've made stuff more comfy. Went 10 years in my German Army model 2000 issue until they finally fell apart last year, then bought the 2005 model last March and now after around 300km in them they're already like a second skin, yet perfectly waterproof
>>
>>947742
where is a good place to buy these in the US?
>>
>>947764
Well I'm in Germoni so see them listed a lot on ebay. But then again I've seen Brazilians and the likes having them too, so you could probably find them once in a while on ebay too
>>
File: BEUTBEAUT.jpg (30KB, 500x472px) Image search: [Google]
BEUTBEAUT.jpg
30KB, 500x472px
>>947555
gotta get the USGI jungleboots
>>
>>944578
I've been wanting those danner light's for such a long time. Can't justify the $350 price tag though. I got a pair of patrols and seem to be about the same construction so idk why these go for so much more.
>>
>>947742
never bought milsurp boots before, do you need to break them in? and would 60 euros be a reasonable price for a pair?
>>
>>948758
Yeah leather boots like that definitely need some breaking in (just wear them at home/in the garden/walk around casually etc for a couple dozen km) and aren't as comfy right from the beginning as let's say Salomons, Lowas etc. from the beginning, but once that initial period is over you won't even notice you're wearing them any more, and as the big advantage over aforementioned more modern/synthetic/intricately designed boots, you'll get much better durability. Also absorb tons of sweat before feeling moist, compared to the others.
I had paid €105 for mine, but then again everything is a bit more expensive in Yurop
>>
Don't know if this is hijack but need advice. I'm planning a trip to Japan in the summer going to go from Osaka to Hokkaido. What pair of all purpose boots do you guys recommend that's still decent enough looking for casual or night out?

It's going to be humid hot and going to be walking on trails of various levels of maintenance and streets. Right now looking at Clark's Desert Boots or dr martens chelsea's(since I'll be taking my footwear off a lot going into places).
>>
>>948761
thanks for the help, anon
>>
File: IMG_0314.jpg (39KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0314.jpg
39KB, 460x460px
>>948826
Nike SFB Jungle

/fa/ as fuck AND good for outdoorsy stuff?
>>
Looking into purchasing a new field boot, wondering if the Forces Quest 4D's are any good, or worth it? The civy version I know has durability issues. They're $300 canadian, with that kind of money I could get a decent pair of AKU's.
>>
File: lems.jpg (7KB, 291x173px) Image search: [Google]
lems.jpg
7KB, 291x173px
>>948826
Lems Boulder Boot

Completely flat with no heel or arch support, super flexible outsole, and an extra wide toebox to spread out and articulate into

By far the comfiest shoes I've ever had on. I'll never go back to a rigid boot with a giant retarded heel again. Shoes like these promote more natural foot movement. Never understood why most footwear is built with all that extra "supportive" shit. That's what the muscles in your feet are for. Supporting them your whole life just causes muscle atrophy and makes you weak. Like wearing a cast on your arm for years at a time. What's the point?
>>
>>950211
Damn I never actually considered these. Always heard bad things about them durability wise.Not /fa/ enough to pull em off.

>>950224
No can do, my feet got plantar fascitis. Look nice though.
>>
>>950295
>plantar fasciitis
Case in point. A lifetime of wearing "supportive" shoes has led to degenerated ligaments in your feet. Cast analogy checks out.

Though going minimal once the damage is already done probably won't help(?).

Shit sucks, sorry bro.
>>
>>948826
blundstones?

timberland earthkeepers?
>>
File: 4955602FH_S14_2.png (216KB, 556x600px) Image search: [Google]
4955602FH_S14_2.png
216KB, 556x600px
I'm looking for something really durable.
I have had a multitude of walking boots and none of them have lasted all that well.
I've been using these for a year now and they're getting pretty worn out, leaking and whatnot.
>>
>>950337
I probably got it because I wasn't wearing supportive shoes most of my life. Only really cared about getting arch support and whatnot in the past 9 years.
>>
>>950215
You could save up, I got my Aku for 110€ last month.
>>
Does anyone use aftermarket insoles? My current favorite hikers tend to give me foot bed pain after 8-9 miles and I've been trying to figure out if some kind of fancy cushioning would help at all.
>>
File: 67200.jpg (184KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
67200.jpg
184KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: ss+(2017-02-16+at+03.35.35).jpg (63KB, 712x352px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-02-16+at+03.35.35).jpg
63KB, 712x352px
I've had this pair of boots for about four months and they've held up great. I think I may have just ordered half a size too big, because sometimes they feel a bit loose. Other than that, these are great for farm work and travel.
>>
>>952026
I never used them, I watched adv on a magazine. Ok it's feel like shilling but I hope it help...

https://www.drscholls.com/productsandbrands/massaginggelsportreplacementinsoles/
>>
>>952046
Have you taken them into hot and humid conditions? Been wondering how durable they would be if they were used for their intended purpose. I've been thinking of getting them for a trip to costa rica. Rothco is ass, Mcrae is too expensive, and Altama seems to have nothing ever in stock. So these seem to fit the middle ground. How's the fit too?
>>
>>952133
I got a pair of superfeet black for my danner's and they seem to work out great. Best insoles I've gotten so far and I've gone through dr. scholls(melted in boot), Spenco(Never fit right, always had to cut a lot of it off), Penguiin(same as spenco, but cheaper), powerstep(comfy but always wore a hole in the ball of foot area within a month) and some no name brands from Amazon(basically cardboard).
>>
File: 81AQFrmByXL._UX695_.jpg (47KB, 695x527px) Image search: [Google]
81AQFrmByXL._UX695_.jpg
47KB, 695x527px
Anyone have any thoughts about the Rockport XCS's
>>
>>952279
I haven't had them in a very warm or humid climate as I got them in october and it's been dry all season. They run a little wide for me, but I may just have narrow feet. Other than that, they fit great. I'm going to order a pair half a size down pretty soon to see if they fit better. These are a daily wear and they still feel like new.
>>
>>952304
Ugly like fuck
>>
>>952322
how does that vulcanized sole do on hard surfaces? I've heard of cheaper jungle boots not having much traction on tile floors and whatnot
>>
>>950224
Thank you for showing me this. Probably the only decent looking minimal boot I've seen.

Got any other recommendations?
>>
File: kenyan-barefoot-running.jpg (19KB, 430x188px) Image search: [Google]
kenyan-barefoot-running.jpg
19KB, 430x188px
>>950774
Not the same anon, but from what I understand it's kind of chicken and egg. Seen as pseudo new age bullshit science by a lot of people, but yeah a lot of shoes have way too much support and are far too narrow for our toes. Our feet end up pretty mangled because of it.

Plenty of good research out there if you want to make up your own mind
>>
>>952026
>>952285
I use a pair of Aetrex L405s because metatarsal pain and high arch; not cheap by any stretch of the word, but they're worth it.

I will say that they hurt like hell for the first week I wore them. After that, feels great.
>>
>>950215
The forces boots are exactly the same as the civilian boots, including build quality. Im pleased with the quality of mine, I think the majority of complaints come from people who don't realize that these boots are intended to last about two years and expected a pair of Asolo 520s
>>
>>952406
This seems to hold up pretty well. Went to six flags in the rain and both my sister and my brother fell over while I didn't. Felt sturdy enough to walk. However, I have fallen by slipping on a very slick surface. The ones at Six Flags were part wood, therefore partly absorbent. The one I fell on was a moving bus plastic that was slick with rainwater. If you walk determinately, you should be fine.
>>
File: smoky mountain chimney top.jpg (97KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
smoky mountain chimney top.jpg
97KB, 640x425px
Hey guys, I will be hiking in Tennessee's Smoky Mountains in about 3 weeks or so, so I'm looking to get a good pair of trail boots.

Last year I made the mistake of hiking in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park in tennis shoes, and really damaged my feet. No ankle support, and not enough padding to protect my arch when I stepped on a big stone at the end of our hike.

Granted, we did about 10 miles of varied terrain in about 8 hours and will be taking it easier this time, but I'd still like to get a good pair of boots.

Any recommendations for a good pair of light-duty hiking boots? I've been lurking the thread, but most of the boots I've seen seem more heavy-duty than what I think I need.

This >>950224 Lems Boulder Boot looks promising, but leads me to another question: I don't think I've ever been properly fitted for shoes, and I have wide feet so I usually get a size up so my shoes aren't too tight. This will be a problem buying online because I don't want to end up with badly fitted boots, but if I got to REI, get fitted, but don't buy there, does that make me an asshole?
>>
>>952304
>>952380
I like the aesthetics of rockport footwear
>>
File: tactical research khyber boots.jpg (207KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
tactical research khyber boots.jpg
207KB, 1500x1500px
Just got these, they're comfy as fuck.
>fits perfectly, i usually wear a 12 in tenis shoes and a 13 in work boots, i ordered a 13 and they fit perfectly
>vibram ibex sole is awesome, no deep gap inbetween the toe and heel so more of your arch touches the ground, traction is great even on ice and mud, i've stepped in plenty of mud, dog, and chicken poop, none of it stays in for more than a few steps, i don't even have to dig mud/poop out with a stick like regular vibram soles
>about as light as my tennis shoes that i usually hike in
>side zipper is always nice for saving time
>waterproof, can wade through shallow streams and deep puddles with no problems
My only problem is that they have some ugly black & white zebra coloring on the tongue and upper shaft, but whatever. They're also not very breathable, but that's to be expected with high waterproof boots with some off brand goretex. If it's too hot to wear these, I'll probably just wear sandals anyways.
>>
File: noko garden.jpg (1MB, 2896x1944px) Image search: [Google]
noko garden.jpg
1MB, 2896x1944px
this seems like it might be a good place to ask:

is there any use for hobnailed boots today? does anyone have experience with them? do they become annoying on pavement?
>>
>>943352
I got a few questions if its okay to ask, about 2 months ago I got new boots and have worn them every day since, there good boots well made and comfortable in the short term, but once I am walking 3+ miles in them I always get blisters on my right foot, I figured they would be broken in by now, so that shouldn't be it, what is causing the blisters? there really comfortable until the blisters start, so I don't understand. I figured I might as well ask here.

just encase its worth noting I have tried thick socks, thin socks, and doubled up thin socks. The only thing that I have managed to avoid blisters with is putting duct tape on my foot where the blisters usually form. I walk just fine without the boots too, walking 3 miles a day in flipflops is normal for me,

Also what's a good way to take care of blisters? I've heard a hot bath will let them be reabsorbed, does it work, or should I just lance them and be done with it?
>>
>>952688
>is there any use for hobnailed boots today? does anyone have experience with them? do they become annoying on pavement?

No, no, yes.
>>
>>952722
Everyone's different about blisters. My method is to force myself to take a break and pull the boot off. Set a timer, or think of a spot and force yourself to stop. Take the boot and sock off and let that shit air out & cool down, brush off any grit that may be there.

As for caring for blisters that have already formed, I don't pop them unless they are going to rupture anyways. If they do rupture, I cut off all the skin and try to air it out as best I can. A little cloth/gauze & a lot of some kind of secure tape (I've used medical, duct, gorilla whatever as long as you can wrap it around the foot and it largely keeps the shit from falling off) . The key is to build a callous up, and the key to doing that is to let the skin heal but while still exposing it to the friction.

As far as your boots go, I find experimenting with the lacing helps alot. Sometimes it's just a matter of tying your boot a little looser or tighter. Best of luck.
>>
File: 1487347541510773435323.jpg (2MB, 2144x3808px) Image search: [Google]
1487347541510773435323.jpg
2MB, 2144x3808px
How do you guys like to lace your boots? I sacrifice my top lace hooks for a loop around the top, keeps it tighter and more water resistant
>>
>>952463
these seem very promising to me, do they come in any colors other than black? How much did you pay for them? I am this anon >>952446, so you get an idea of what I'll be doing.
>>
>>943712
>Wesco
holy fuck, all those options for customization
>>
>>952808
Thanks that sounds like a plan, and it explains why I don't get blisters with dumb flipflops but my new boots cause trouble.

I'll keep that in mind, the ones I have now are under a deep callous so they shouldn't pop.

I'll try this too, seems like a good idea.
>>
Bumping again for help, I am >>952446. Would really appreciate y'all's knowledge.
>>
File: HOB THIS KNOB MOTHERFUCKER.jpg (200KB, 669x1000px) Image search: [Google]
HOB THIS KNOB MOTHERFUCKER.jpg
200KB, 669x1000px
>>952688
The only hobnailed boots I've ever been able to find on the internet are reenactor boots that cost a small fortune. I think there's a reason they fell out of favor, the only reason they really existed was because of a lack of good polymers/rubbers for soles, and maybe something to do with supply lines and industrial production not being what it is today.

I'd love to try a pair just to gain an even healthier appreciation for the boots I own, and to experience what those poor mother fuckers had to experience walking miles and miles everyday in those. Definitely not ready to spend serious cheddar making that half-baked whim a reality.

>If anyone finds a source for these boots on the cheaper side, post the link.
>>
File: Lacing.jpg (41KB, 700x280px) Image search: [Google]
Lacing.jpg
41KB, 700x280px
>>952826
I do something like that. I usually don't need that much ankle support, but like having the extra boot for things like snow or whatever. I usually do the "high instep" lacing in pic related, but never really felt I had one of those...
>>
>>943712
Christ they have some high heels.
>>
File: howtochoosebootsoutstyle.jpg (133KB, 1009x378px) Image search: [Google]
howtochoosebootsoutstyle.jpg
133KB, 1009x378px
Just gonna leave that here, maybe it helps someone.

Buying advice from a based anon.
>>
>>947827
Yea.
No.
I quit speaking cheapfuckese years ago when I paid $250+ for a pair of Italian Vasque Sundowners in 1998. Hurt like hell to drop three day's take home pay.
I wore those shoes 14 days walking Isle Royale, dozens of 3-5 day NCT hikes, Boundary Waters portages for two weeks... they never dried out, winter and summer day hikes. Chasing 2 dogs through Iowa cornfields and Michigan clearcuts.
Yesterday I wore them for 14 hours doing a wetland delineation and survey. They are on their third bird dog. The goretex is getting a little clogged. They don't breathe quite as well as they used to.
Pay for quality, regret soon leaves. Be a cheap fuck and the regret sticks around.
>>
>>953651
>Italian Vasque
I don't know in 1998 but today Vasque is not italian brand, it's own by Red Wing and shoes are made in China
>>
File: 1483190926926.gif (355KB, 540x543px) Image search: [Google]
1483190926926.gif
355KB, 540x543px
>>947742
Have them too, worn down the sole of my first pair after a year during service. That included constant walking and basics though.

>>947764
They are made by haix. They go here for around 130 or so.
>>
>>952826
Depends on the boot really. I do something similar to yours for my old Reichles except I think I also did the High-instep lacing as well from >>953070. I used that one in my military boots while in the army and it worked a treat for when you ever needed to get up into a run all of a sudden.
>>
anyone have some recommendations for wading boots?
>>
File: IMG_6961.jpg (114KB, 1029x580px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6961.jpg
114KB, 1029x580px
Hey there, Im going hiking in the atlantic forest in Brazil for a while, wet muddy terrain, are Timberlands or Northface any good for that? If not, what you recommend?
>>
>>95434
>in the jungle
>not choosing jungle boots
>>
File: 55a2d9cc0ee61.png (102KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
55a2d9cc0ee61.png
102KB, 256x256px
>>944543
Off yourself

No sense of nationalism.
>>
File: chinese-spongebob-o.gif (514KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
chinese-spongebob-o.gif
514KB, 320x240px
>>954496
But what if anon is Chinese tho?
>>
i'm a newfag when it comes to boots for outdoor,
do you really need at least 1cm of space between your toes and the tip of your shoe inside?
i really never gave thoughts about this when i was getting regular urban shoes.
>>
File: L37073100.jpg (108KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
L37073100.jpg
108KB, 680x680px
>>943352
>people pay 230 dollars for boots to use for day hiking
>i've day hiked for years with no problem in nike sneakers

someone explain this to me
>>
>>954763
PS let me add that this isn't a post about how I'm a "tough guy" or something. I'm genuinely wondering if I'm missing out on anything. I just bought the mid version of Salomon's trail runners because they were under 90 dollars on amazon so I'm wondering what I'm in for.
>>
File: yellow_boot.jpg (6KB, 307x204px) Image search: [Google]
yellow_boot.jpg
6KB, 307x204px
Is hiking in Timberlands a retarded idea?
>>
File: 1393081539712.gif (1017KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1393081539712.gif
1017KB, 500x700px
>>954732
Yes. After km 45 you will thank me.

>>954778
You did good, my dude, you did good.
>>
>>954785
Your feet will get stinky pretty fast since they won't breathe very well. But I mean people have been hiking and going to war in shoes that were just as stuffy if not more so if you don't mind it it's probably not a huge deal.

Also it's going to depend on how long you hike, etc. I wouldn't do the entire appalacian trail in them but I've had spur of the moment hikes in red wings before and that wasn't bad.
>>
File: 32571.jpg (126KB, 600x713px) Image search: [Google]
32571.jpg
126KB, 600x713px
Opinions on these boots by memesteleka? I really like the single layer concept in theory. No practical experience though.
>>
>>954790
where can i get boots like this in murrica? don't care if they suck for hiking just want them for /fa/
>>
>>943352
>Requesting fudd boots

Go to bed gramps.
>>
>>954862
Red wing iron rangers
Chippewa
LL Bean katahdin boots
>>
>>954785
No. They are really good for pretty much anything.
>>
>>954763
Depends what are you gonna do...
High cut boots make your ankles stable when you walk on steep trails; external materials like cordura, suede, leader give your feet greater protection from rocks, roots, thorns etc..Trekking soles help you to not slip. I paid my Aku Trekker 100€.
>>
>>955118
>High cut boots make your ankles stable when you walk on steep trails

Wrong!
>>
>>955171
Why wrong
>>
>>955191

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedBackpacking/comments/27ptbv/research_articles_from_ncbi_debunking_the_myth/
>>
>>954785
Yes, you will scuff them up.
>>
>>955300
A quick look here suggests that most of these studies looked at sports like basketball and volleyball (=not played on uneven ground or over long times). There's the israeli study comparing basketball shoes and "standard lightweight infantry boots" (from 1991). These do not necessarily compare to modern hiking boots. Though we need to remember that extending above the ankle is necessary, but not sufficient to provide stability.

Either way, the original argument was that for short hikes on relatively benign ground (=most of hikers) shoes are fully sufficient, which is true. More difficult ground requires more stability (though not as much as some would believe), that much is accepted by mountaineers.

I've also heard the claim that long hikes with weight, even on even ground, benefit from more supportive boots by relieving the exhausted foot and ankle. Dunno, no personal experience. Also, it would have to be balanced with the extra weight of the boot putting general strain on the body (though not on the foot and ankle, which makes it a worthwhile tradeoff when these are the limiting factor).
>>
>>955300
Like >>955365
said these articles don't handle trekking on rough ground with slope around 70%
>>
>>955300
what if I use boots with lots of ankle support just because I like it?
>>
Is there any recommended way to laces ankle boots for a first timer?
i never got shoes going higher than the ankle and i'm trying to get accustomed by having the heel not too floaty but not having too much ankle friction in the side.
>>
>>959539
forgot to mention i use ankle boots with eyelets,
pretty much using cheap surplus boots for financial reason right now
>>
>>943750

I had my trusty old Meindls and was happy with them. High ankle is a must because of all the volcanic rock if you intend to hike up even the smallest hills. Otherwise be prepared to strain your ankle.

Meindl makes kick ass hiking boots in general but anything which feels good in your feet and you can lace your ankle stiff will be OK.

Iceland pro tip: when the signs say volcanic area and do not touch/walk, just fucking believe it or become a crisp. When the signs say water is hot, it fucking is (near boiling). So don't be fucking stupid and stick your finger in to check if water really is 98C or 97C.
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.