[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: SPFB33GPn.jpg (509KB, 4774x2254px) Image search: [Google]
SPFB33GPn.jpg
509KB, 4774x2254px
Hey y'all I got the gayle bradley bowie from spyderco. Paid $280 for it but the handle is a bit slick so I'm thinking about sanding the handle with some 80 or 100 grit sandpaper to add some texture, Is this a good or bad idea? Also what are some alternative ideas to add texture to a handle without tape
>>
I have that knife and love it. I'd only texture it with additional material (like tape, which you said you don't want). Tape would be my best choice.

They make texturizing spray paints which make it kinda grainy. You could test that on a different knife and see if it's ok... I've never used it for that personally.

They make rubber dips that you can texture after dipping. Again, I haven't done that on a knife.

I think sanding it is a bad idea, but it is your knife and your money.
>>
I did a wax cotten wrap on the handle but im still not 100 percent happy with it
>>
cant see why not op, as long as you do it consistently in all areas and don't take too much off. not speaking from experience.
>>
File: 20170201_192231.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170201_192231.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>
I would get cheep knives with similar handles and experiment. If you don't want to do anything anything perminant to the knife you can make a grip with shoelaces or thin rope and I know you said no tape but single sided hockey tape is made for making custom grips and the guck it leaves behind comes off very easily
>>
So do you think if I hit it with some 100 grit it could texture it appropriately? Or would it just make it look trashy?
>>
>>943054
Be careful. It might get better after some use with natural wear and some oils from your hands n shit.

But like everybody else said, it's your money. The knife already has a hole in the blade so it will only be slightly more defective after you sand the handle.
>>
Have any of you had any problems with slick handles in the past?
>>
>>943008
Why not just tape the sand paper to the handle instead of ruining it?
>>
>>943101
That would probably look stupid sorry
>>
>>943111
wtf did you buy a 280$ knife for if you're just going to fuck its shit up

kys my man
>>
File: busse_no.jpg (63KB, 656x268px) Image search: [Google]
busse_no.jpg
63KB, 656x268px
The buck 119 has a community of people who have figured out how to add traction, you could check of some of the custom checkering folks do on those. Also, you could do a braided finger guard from the two scale pins like pic related
>>
Ahahahahaha you spent 300 bucks on a knife with a shit handle are you serious

Fucking spidershills
>>
>>943008
I'd find heat shrink tubing large enough to fit around the handle and shrink it on. You should be able to find it in an appropriate diameter. Pretty sure you can find it up to 2"
>>
>>943008
Being that its such a high end knife, contact Spyderco and see if you can send it back to have them make the handle more textured. They might be able to bead blast it for you at no cost (except shipping). I've never dealt with Spyderco but I know for certain companies with knives of similar price like Bark River will customize your knife by reshaping the handle or changing the grind or whatever you ask at little or no charge.

This way you wouldn't void any warranty.

For future reference, G10 is slick unless bead blasted. Micarta is much more grippy and actually gets more grippy when wet because the fibers swell. It also costs less. The downside is it doesn't look quite as good as G10 to some people.
>>
>>943008
If I paid $300 for a knife it better be perfect in every way
I use a BK7 that I modded to my preferences and was okay with that because I only paid $100
>>
its slick to not cause blisters if you use it for hours.
you probably have greasy sweaty hands spit in them and wipe dirt into hands till dry or invest in some gloves i personally like to rub pine pitch when i need extra grip
>>
>>943008
Just lightly go over it with some rough grit sandpaper, it's perfectly fine and safe with G10.
>>
>>943253
yeah this
>>
Will wax cotten hold up over time? I used loctite super glue to hold the ends in place. Will loctite hold up over time as well? it's pretty much holding the cotten in place
>>
>>943008

>Spending 280$ on an ugly production knife with a hole drilled on the blade that doesnt fit your hand well.

Wew lad.

You bought into the spydershit meme.

I recommend you return it and ask for your money back
>>
>>943008
The correct answer is to sell the knife, get your $280 back, and put it toward an actually good knife.

But if you want to take sandpaper to your almost 300 dollars knife, then go right ahead.
>>
>>943056

That post made me laugh more than it should have.
>>
I just got the handle sandblasted it should get back to me by next weekend. Will post pics
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.