[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner survival

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_4998.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4998.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /out/ I've always liked camping and hunting but lately it's gotten fairly boring. I'm looking into some more survival or "bushcrafty" type outings. I have plenty of gear from past experiences (pic related it's my basic camp stuff) and some basic survival knowledge but if anyone has advice or suggestion ns I'm all ears. Also are there any good places in Tennessee or in southern Appalachia good for overnighters or two day trips? Thanks for your time
Sincerely, a newfag
>>
>>942951
Long comment incoming (b/c bored)

Just go out with as little equipment as possible but don't go far from your vehicle OR pack stuff with you but only use as little as possible. If you can't hack it, cheat or go back to your car.

Every time use less and less, try different techniques.

Also just so you're not surprised beforehand, survival isn't a 'fun' activity (especially when you aren't practiced) by itself. Its challenging and hugely satisfying to test yourself and succeed but its not going to be enjoyable when you're doing it. It will be uncomfortable, tiring, and overall difficult even if you know what you're doing.

Lets say you decide you're only going to use a knife and ferro rod:
>a good natural shelter takes hours and hours to build depending on a lot of things like type, experience, resources
>firewood will be small diameter so you'll have to get up to add more wood every half hour or hour at the most
>small, Indian fire. bare minimum
>If its -20C, you'll have to get up several times in the night and start moving about doing jumping jacks and shit to warm up before going back to sleep
>If you're going to stay multiple nights, get as much work done as possible the first day b/c you'll be too fatigued to do much of anything useful after spending one night. Even more exhausted if winter.
>because the fire will be so small, you'll have to huddle around it closer than usual so you'll have more embers landing you. You'll get holes in your clothes unless you wear stuff that won't burn through like wool.
>If its -30C even, you don't necessarily need a shelter so long as your fire is big enough. I spend the many hours I would otherwise spend making a shelter instead gathering wood so I can have a large shelter. Its more efficient and it doesn't actually matter if snow lands on you all night. You build your firewood pile as high and narrow as a shelter if possible. Done.

I have more but this is getting really long.

Also noice plumb axe
>>
>>943025
oh yeah btw I enjoy it but most other people don't from my knowledge. They like the idea but then when it comes down to actually doing it, the discomfort isn't worth it to them.
>>
>>943028
I've built shelters before and I've been on one or two outings but I'm gonna try and work my way to the knife and fero rod only outings but for now I'm probably gonna go on some more simple spring and summer trips so I'll be ready by next fall or winter. Thanks man
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>942951
Don't forget your calculator. Or backup calculator.
>>
>>943058
You are an idiot.
>>
File: original.jpg (267KB, 608x922px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
267KB, 608x922px
>>943120
t. coke employee
>>
>>943058
>honey buns
fug
>>
>>943058
the cigarettes to food ratio is fucking retarded.
>>
>>943138
ikr needs a few more packs
>>
>>943058
>no backup jesus bobblehead
not gonna make it
>>
>>943058
>2 Cans of Off!
You're going to die of westnile if you go out there undergeared like that. And you need a memory foam pillow, too.
>>
Moderate hijack?

Are there any must-read survival manuals? Basic shelters and fires are pretty intuitive I'd say, but skills like dressing game and preserving the yield, or long-term strategies maybe? I'd imagine there are plenty of issues suburban youths like me wouldn't think of.
>>
So i'm thinking of going hiking innawoods with a few friends for a couple of days. Would it be worth bring a entrenching tool? We'll need to dig a hole to shit in right?
>>
File: IMG_1399.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1399.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>943138
>carton plus a pack
That's probably 3.5 days worth of menthol right there. Those Gatorade bars fill you up bretty gud, eat two of those fuckers at like 9am and you straight til dinner. I think it's pretty close.

If anything, the pack needs more caffienated beverages.

>>943563
Are there any rivers nearby?
>>
>>943572
>childsafe lighters
triggered
dood
break those fuckers off
>>
File: IMG_1349.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1349.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>943579
I used to pull them off when I was 15 and bored. I have adult thumbs now and I just don't care about it. Just like how I used to flip the one lucky cig when I opened a pack in high school. I aint got time for that shit these days.
>>
>>943572
Probably but I don't think any of us would be keen to shit in our water supply.
>>
>>943058
Fucking kek
>>
>>943266
Have you read Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft? Its pretty well the raw basics, no gimmicky bullshit like those many 'SAS survival manuals' that are full of 90% useless information. Its tailored to Northern Alberta's Boreal Forest but mostly all of the content is applicable to all Taiga.

Each chapter is split up into different headings that contain probably a diagram and then a paragraph or two of writing. You can see subject discussed with no ambiguity and select what you want to read.

Its not a tiring read either, I read certain sections I wanted to look at specifically and ended up reading the whole thing.

Cost me 18.95 CAD.
>>
>>943266
Careful throwing the word "youths" around. Mods are pretty liberal about banning
>>
>>943058
>40ft extension cord innawoods
Top kek.
>>
>>944208

>Not bringing a 60 foot cord instead.

Filth casual he is.
>>
>>944038

I have that but I had to give up 2/3rds in. I just couldn't get over his chicken scratch doodles.
>>
>>943058
Fucking hell m8
>>
>>943120
>he doesn't have a backup knife for his backup knifes backup knife

Enjoy your slow and lonely demise.
>>
>>943045
Take a field sharpener with you or even a whetstone. The kind of abuse those knives take can require some real TLC on down time. Something I learned the hard way. But I enjoy maintaining blades by the fireside. Gentle metal grinding relaxes me.
>>
File: 1486261162673.jpg (95KB, 1100x619px) Image search: [Google]
1486261162673.jpg
95KB, 1100x619px
>>944221

heresy, the doodles are the best, especially the skull and crossbones "do not do" marks.
>>
>>943266
Any pre-1976 BSA manual will do.

Check the old book stores for them, that's how I got one.

Or you can get a PDF and put it on your tablet or phone.

check the section on Trapping and hunting for non gimmicky bullshit.

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1014
>>
>>943058
lost
>>
>>943045
most forest services look a
1) how long all that brush and growth for that survival shelter took to grow
2) how long that ash and piss/shit you leave will take to break down and be usable for growth/shelter
3) how many idiots will come to do the same exact shit/ some times literal SHIT

survival is good to KNOW but to practice, you will usually have to ACTIVELY SEEK TO PRACTICE AKA WASTE WILDERNESS/RESOURCES/TIME/MONEY to do so.

So pack your tent/bivy/tarp and don't be a douch. Coolers and stoves are ok if done without being a douche Clean your shit/piss, bring/collect/filter your water/piss/etc. Increase the wildernesses resources/ don't reduce because you are a ass hattt. Solar first, Wind Second, Water third. Anything after these three requires resources. Light, heat, wind, water both actual resource and movement of said element are the most you can dependable/nondestructible depend on.
>>
>>943058
Shear amount of cat food needed is insurmounatbel for the fact it is all eaten by people instead with all the cigarettes for the hours of burning metal with lighters and the very blue packing tarp it all came prepared on. aka n0ot enough fuel/electricity for what was shown. unless it was all hidden in a massively compacted frozen chunk in that upper left corner cooler......
>>
>>943138
pfft. nicotine curbs hunger. try harder civilization fag.
>>
>>943599
Bruh, it flows downstream. The water you drink comes from upstream. That's the magic of it!
>>
File: 1406266562334.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1406266562334.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>948441
the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>942951
If you are bored of the normal hunting and camping I would suggest 18th century LARPing. It's real fun especially if you are into the historical aspect.
>>
>>949717
That's the kind of useful information that was taught in boy scouts back in the 80s, now all they do is gay and tranny indoctrination
>>
File: IMG_2418.png (2MB, 1597x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2418.png
2MB, 1597x1600px
>>950262
...and that is how America got to the point where we would elect somebody like Trump,
>>
>>949717
This is an /out/ meme, any newfags please don't shit in the river.
>>
>>950398
>don't shit in the river if you have close friends and family immediately downstream otherwise it is ok
ftfy.

Just tell them to bathe upstream and it will be all good.
>>
>>944038
>Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/16083429/Advanced_Bushcraft_(2015)_(Epub)_Gooner
>>
>>950267
obvious product placement is obvious. Fuck off cancer poster.
>>
>>950446
Shh, don't let them know I'm a CK model
>>
>>950267
We got any sauce on these hookers?
>>
>>950541
If you're an ugly president, you got that shit on lock, buddy!
>>
File: 1480830253667.jpg (37KB, 564x771px) Image search: [Google]
1480830253667.jpg
37KB, 564x771px
>>950551
That isn't helpful or funny.
>>
>>950446
Found me one of dem dare damned liburtards :D
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.