[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What have YOU done for the environment so far in your life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 27

Everyone here likes to be outside, but what exactly have you done to actively to preserve nature and the environment?
I regulary collect trash if I come by it, but of course it would be much better if I would not find any at all. I also helped planting trees for my local forester and from time to time I just bury some more exotic bushes and trees on the roadside.
(Note that "exotic" in this context only means I use those, that are not used as cash crops for the lack of a better word. They are not neophytes)
>>
File: IMG_1509.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1509.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>942887
Controlling invaisive species!
>>
File: 1462024448042.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1462024448042.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>942893
It's fine if you don't want to do anything, but at least don't actively destroy just to be contrarian.
I can understand that my post might sound up tight assholey, but that might be because english is not my first language, so I might sound over self righteous. Sorry for that.
>>
>>942907
Don't apologize. You're right and he's the asshole.
>>
I work as a bush regenerator.
I collect bags of trash in national parks sometimes.
I use a green energy provider.
>>
File: IMG_0306.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0306.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I saved some bushes by killing a moose last fall. Hopefully the bushes can live without fear of being eaten and grow up to happy healthy lives.
>>
I enjoy fracking
>>
Sometimes I go out of my way to pick up litter.
>>
>>942895
You should work on your English too.
>>
stopped eating beef. Things would be a lot better if most people did.
>>
>>942887
>what exactly have you done to actively to preserve nature and the environment?
Started a forest fire when I was 10 for shits n giggles
Nobody ever knew, burned quite a good amount of homes and forest
I shit on nature you faggot, it protects itself so quit being a hippy and enjoy it instead of walking on eggshells like you're Swedish
>>
>>942953
Ayyy
Might not be right thread but exactly what are the requirements and how do I go about becoming a park ranger?
>>
File: IMG_0247.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0247.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>942963
The extra "i" is for "invasive"
>>
>>942963
>You should work on your English too.
you should as well mang
>>
>>943005
>you should as well mang
And so should you.
>>
File: IMG_1362.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1362.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>943005
>>943007
You're*
>>942963
>>
File: PrHyeso.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
PrHyeso.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>942887
Does donating to the NPS count? They're professionals who would manage that stuff far better than me personally. I'm just there to enjoy it. Oh and I pick up litter when I go camping.
>>
>>942975
This but not for stupid emotional reasons some people have for it. I think it's fucking dumb to waste time and resources growing a ton of food to fatten something and spending years to raise it just to then eat the thing, when we could have used the time and space used to grow food for the damn thing to grow food for ourselves. It's an unnecessary middle man that could totally be cut out. Regardless, were I homesteading it would not be worth the extra effort to raise cattle. Much better to conserve space so I don't have to work to feed something bigger than I am. Because, I'm lazy and extra work I don't need to do is my personal hell.
>>
File: IMG_0836.gif (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0836.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>943014
>>
>>942887
Well, I try to recycle if it's available. I worked as forestry intern last summer helping manage timber as well as selecting leave trees in a harvest, and I clean up after myself when I go out.
>>
File: M0018355.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018355.jpg
1B, 486x500px
By placing natural rock substrate on barren, sandy sub-tidal land, I, and a few friends, have created a kelp forest.

Here is a photo of the kelp, it is growing on granite boulders that we moved with lift bags, and cargo nets
>>
File: M0018365.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018365.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Here is one particularly huge rock that we moved to deeper water, notice the amount of life growing on it, it really impacts the local environment as it ads cover for many species of fish and invertebrates.
>>
File: M0018366.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018366.jpg
1B, 486x500px
The kelp grows in a row because we made a simple wall with rock. After that nothing is needed, spores from existing kelp attached to hard surfaces, and the kelp reaches the surface in a matter of weeks in the spring months.
>>
File: M0018337.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018337.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Here is the payoff, a beautiful environment and habitat for fish. This is a copper rockfish, a slow growing, late maturing bottom fish. They live among the kelp and rocks, and their young love to live in the fronds of the kelp.
>>
File: M0018267.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018267.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Here is a rock cairn we made, if you look closely in the rocks you can see juvenile fish from many different species, crabs, shrimps, and hundreds of encrusting invertebrates.
Prior to being placed in the water, the rocks were perfectly smooth normal granite boulders, in the water, they become covered with life.
>>
File: M0018354.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018354.jpg
1B, 486x500px
All told we covered a huge area in rock, its hard to know exactly how much we added but the amount of rock we have taken out to date can be measured in tons.
If you look in the kelp fronds you can notice the small rockfish babies. This species is closed to fishing until their numbers recover. They abound in kelp forest.
>>
File: M0018230.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018230.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Another aspect of this man made kelp forest is nutrient mitigation, an aspect I don't know a lot about but seeing as how kelp is a very fast growing species that soaks up excess nutrients from the water and holds them for a season, our little forest has sequester quite a bit of nutrients and carbon.
>>
File: M0018246.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018246.jpg
1B, 486x500px
There is also the aesthetic beauty of the forest which I cannot get enough of. Diving through the kelp on a sunny day is so relaxing. Its like a flooded forest. Other divers in our area can as well. It brings be great joy to look out over the water between diving and notice the fronds of the kelp on the surface knowing I had a part in its existence.
>>
File: M0018255.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
M0018255.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>943196
Awesome work. Structure means life.
Did you buy those granite blocks or did you just take them from some abbandoned quarry?
>>
>>942887
i served on a conservation corps and was an intern a conservation non-profit for a summer
>>
>>943216
The rocks we basically salvage from a higher up on the beach, they are out of the water and there is no life on them. We have moved several boulders over 8,000 lbs, one of which was completely buried by sand, and beautifully clean. We moved it and placed it on a base of smaller rocks where it is in the water and supporting life.
No money spent, only man power and lift bags. We get pretty worn out by the end of our day, but the results speak for themselves.
>>
>>942975
Kill yourself. By far much better for the environment, make sure you are somewhere that carrion feeders can distribute you well in shit form for maximum impact.
>>
>>942932
If you don't purchase meat from a farm and only eat game meat that you hunt, that is a very environmentally friendly lifestyle
>>
>>943249
Though it is still better to support local farmers who keep their cattle free, then to just boycott factory farming. The small ones need to be supported so they can compete
>>
i plan to become fertilizer when i die.
so mother nature I.O.U. one meal.
>>
I push paper in the name of environmental regulations that accomplish nothing beside letting the guy emptying his honey wagon into a stream think he's standing up for the little guy by sticking it to the man. I recycle my vodka bottles.
>>
File: 8e7.png (1B, 486x500px)
8e7.png
1B, 486x500px
>>942979
>>
>>943248
If everyone who has enough farsight would kill himself or not get children, only those who don't give a shit would survive and breed on. Thus it is not a solution
>>
>>943183
that is amazing.
>>
>>942887
>what exactly have you done to actively to preserve nature and the environment?
I voted for Trumph
>>
>>943698
Enjoy nuclear annihilation of the entire world and seeing all the forests burned to ash. Everyone's going to fucknig die because of you shortsighted hicks.
>>
>>943699
Kek. How does it feel living in fear everyday? Doesn't seem very pleasant.
>>
>>943183
Quite impressive to say the least.

Worked in nature reserves on a voluntary basis quite often, spent a good deal of time eradicating exotic trees - removed thousands of Prunus Americana trees from a local forest. The place used to be full of them, some areas countaining dozens of saplings per square metre. Took a decade, but they're all gone now.

Occasionally remove litter as well, and then a bunch of everyday habits and choices to minimize environmental impact.
>>
>>942887
Environmental Consulting. Design, install, maintain ground water remediation systems. Monitor contamination and regulate industrial and agricultural processes to protect public health. Design and build wetland mitigation. Obtain EPA and USACoE permits for construction in protected areas. Monitor operational requirements of public infrastructure, mines, international transloads. Meet regularly with state and federal bureaucrats and politicians to discuss policy and implementation. I study case law and federal register to walk my clients through the rules.
I pretty much walk on water.
>>
I take other peoples trash with me when I'm out. One time I worked up the nerve to call someone out for throwing their cigarette butts on the ground.

I quit washing my hair about three years ago, but that was more about muh chemicals, but I'm using less water as a result.
>>
>>942887

Planted about 50,000 sapplings in the lat 1990s. They're pretty respectable woodlands mow.
>>
>>943196

Fucking cool dude. I hope to do something like that but on land one day. Keep it up!
>>
>>942887
I've done several invasive plant projects, several projects to address emerald ash borer and Asian longhorn beetle, and had a few jobs where I was actively working with critically endangered species.
>>
>>943723
Says the people stockpiling arms and building walls because "muh terrorists"
And you call us snowflakes..
>>
I am not going to have any kids.... Which is probably a bigger thing than anyone else here has stated(not saying others here dont also plan to be child-less.. Just that you guys might be under estimating just how big an impact having an extra person in the western world does to the environment.)

If we cleared out the bottom 20% of people in the world who dont actively contribute to civilization(especially ones in developed nations) we'd easily meet any environmental goals to curb climate change.
>>
>>942887
not reproducing by choice. my wife and i both feel the world now isn't somewhere we'd want the burden of kids ourselves ( were honestly selfish, we like the free time and money kids would gobble up) and both realise no matter how much recycling we do, however many flights we take how cleanly we live if by not having kids it is probably the most environmentally friendly thing we could ever do
>>
>>943699
But Hillary is the one who wanted nuclear war you yuppie faggot
>>
>>944467
>>943699
Day of the plow soon.
>>
>>944526
>>944477
But this way the people who are actually decent enough to care about the world will die out, while the rest reproduces idiocracy style.
If anything you defenitly need kids so your ethics survive a collaps.
>>
>>944526
If you ever change your mind consider adopting a newborn/infant. World population doesn't rise on your account and you'd probably bring the kid up to respect the environment, leading to a lessening of their own impact.
>>
>>944863
Also a good idea
>>
>>942975
This. Beef is one of the most inefficient meat sources. Pork is the most based meat.
>>
>>942887
I work for my state's branch of the EPA doing air permitting
>>
>>942887
I used to pick up trash all the time when I was younger. I'm too lazy to do it any more.
I encourage the usage and development of renewable and less polluting energy sources, but that's usually only to my friends and anons on here. I have mentioned it in some letter to congress members though, particularly fusion. There's a near-infinite, totally untapped, completely unpolluting energy source out there and it's stupid that we're not working harder to make it feasible.
>>
Im a NEET, so unlike people who work, I don't damage the environment. If you cunts have jobs you should kys or at least shut the fuck up about the environment
>>
>>944842
Usually kids believe the opposite of the parents so it's better for true progressives to not breed if they want to virtue signal without causing harm to father nature
>>
>>942930

>I use a green energy provider.

Thank you for helping support my private jets

t. Al Gore
>>
>>944842
this
although I think some people, probably including this poster, just use that as excuse to not spend time and money on, and I wouldn't want people that lazy and selfish to have kids
if I ever get the chance to have kids I'll do everything I can for them-- not spoil them, but provide for them
>>
>>942887
Spent a day shooting invasive squirrels in southern Oregon but to be honest that was mostly for my personal enjoyment nature just got a gimme.

Almost always leave a campsite/forest with a contractor bag worth of trash that ain't mine I carry one just for that goal anytime I go inawoods in a vehicle...15 years of regular camping/woodsroaming...gotta be a few tons of garbage removal by now.

Nock down those faggot rock stacks whenever I get the chance and ain't never left no orange peel nowhere.
>>
>>947090
I also switched to all leds...keep an eye anywhere I can save a watt...again mostly to keep my bills low but again nature gets a gimmie.

Also have a valve on my shower head to turn the water off while I shampoo/soap and back on to rinse....gotta be a few Olympic pools off clean water saved by now...I also only shower as needed every second or third day if I'm just lounging around not working up a sweat. Again to save money but the water thing is me actively caring about conserving our clean drinking water and unlike the led's taking less and shorter showers is free and created no new pollution to make.

Maybe some other stuff but not really made a weekend of actively working on helping nature out. Nature's a pretty bad ass bitch and if we go and fuck around in her to much she'll just kill us and take care of herself.
>>
>>943183
Wow, I didn't expect a legitimate answer from this thread. That's awesome, I'm going to look into doing that.

Have you ever considered building an artificial reef?
>>
>>947321
thats basically what the rocks are, a reef, and I suppose you can call it artificial, since it was placed their by people. But it is just one of the project we have been working on, others include artificial reef with concrete, small boats, and other materials we come across.
>>
>>947097
>I also switched to all leds...keep an eye anywhere I can save a watt...
Does absolutely nothing. Energy efficient lights at home are a meme, especially if you live in a cold environment. Just turn your fucking lights off when you're done with them.

>thing is me actively caring about conserving our clean drinking water
Once water is used to wash yourself no one will ever be able to use it again.
Again this shit is retarded and does absolutely nothing. It just makes idiots feel good thinking that they're doing something but they're not.
>>
I invested $1300 in solar panels @80cents/kwh. I'm getting free money while others are paying absurdly high prices in ontario for energy forcing them to cut back on their usage.
>>
>>944477
>Implying the west is the worst
Take a look at China buddy.
>>
>>947982
Whoops, don't know why I remembered developed as west
>>
>>947964

>I'm getting free money while others are paying absurdly high prices to pay for my free money
>>
>>944467
Nice strawman
>>
>>948006
Sounds like he made a good investment.
>>
>>948016
Not really, they will wear out before he gets his investment back. The only return he will get is virtue signalling to other retards that he can afford to waste money and harm the planet while pretending to do the opposite
>>
>>942895
Realistically, I only target invasives because there's no limit, no closed season and some of them are actually pretty damn good eating if you know what you're doing. Even if they aren't, a got dogs and cats that will eat it.

For my own part, I do the little things. Police my trash, pick up any litter I see, use as little gas/electric/water as possible within reason and avoid waste. Live simply and responsibly.
>>
>>943183
>>943185
>>943186
>>943189
>>943190
>>943191
>>943192
>>943194
>>943194
>>943196
Glad to see you are still on this board. Keeping kelping my friend.
>>
>>942887

I stopped burying my shit, instead I only shit in rivers when /out/
>>
>>942895
bonus points, NO BAGGING LIMITS ON THOSE!! Catch, fillet, cook, repeat.
>>
>>944842
>>947078
partly true. but with reason. 90% of all couples with kids we know are miserable, and more than a few have outright turned around and said they wish they hadn't had kids when they did or even not at all. there is a huge undertow of jealousy even within the family that we can pretty much do whatever we want by virtue of free time and financial resource that isn't pumped into children. we don't want to end up like most of the people we know - while they are goofing around with school runs, I'm fucking my wife in the kitchen, while they are ferrying a car full to the local under 11s footie club I'm baiting up for my 1st cast, while they are saving up for driving lessons ( yeah, we have to pay for 'em in the UK) my wife is checking out what new approach shoes she wants... and so on.

the Idiocracy thing is terrifying even more so as it is believable (if not taken to the comedic extent it was) but I genuinely feel something like that now is like trying to stop an avalanche with a spoon. Humans have had their shot and I honestly don't think there is more than 200-300 years left in the species without some kind of mass extinction event to wipe us and most other life out.

>>944863
so-so we have discussed this too. however adopting here in the UK is ridiculously difficult ( fostering is a relatively easy gig to get into though) and still doesn't fix the problem. Any kid in our care would go on to have kids of their own who in turn would have more kids. it's like a fracture running across a pane of glass the way it spreads- my wife is 1 of 9 ( a bit of an extreme example but no joke) and each of them bar her has had at least 2 kids, most have 3. From my wife's old man, one guy, there are now 9 kids and 23 grand kids- the grand kids will go off to have kids of their own and the cycle continues. If we stop with us then it ends here.
>>
>>942887
I keep my old '85 F250 diesel on the road and run it on waste oil.
>>
>>943003
pepsi, to ask as a young and obviously inferior human, when you stab those fishies like that, do you blink?
>>
>>943256
Supporting small farms is a good middle ground between cutting beef out entirely
>>
>>949322
How are the laws regarding voluntary sterilization over there? Vasectomies and ligation, that kind of stuff. We got some stupid laws over here keeping me from getting the snip, and can't afford a cruise to get it done in international waters like my buddy did. Least not if I want to go to europe any time soon...
>>
>>949341
Permanent sterilization is very difficult to get on public health in the UK. It is something we've looked at quite a lot because of our views.

I'm in my mid 30s and have a mobility restricting disability following an accident (as I used this as a chip to bargain that I couldn't cope with kids as well as not wanting them) my wife is also in her mid 30s and has no want to have kids. We're in a stable relationship of 15 years, married 3, but we've both been kicked back as we're still considered a 'risk' as we may want kids later in life and so the NHS won't entertain anything getting permanent done. I can privately pay to get myself 'fixed' for a around £500 very few questions asked. My brother in law had it done after he was accountable for 3 kids. From what he said it was very easy to book over the phone but he did have to travel out of Wales (which bizarrely doesn't have any walk in clinics that do it) and into England to get it done. Although he wasn't meant to, he drove home after it- that's how easy the procedure is apparently :/

To me £500 is a lot of money to spend on other stuff ( eg it's near 4/5 my annual gas and electricity bill )

They will however throw female contraception at you for free, my wife has a 5 year IUD which was booked in and done without a second thought. it was about the safest long term solution we found acceptable. It's great for us as it makes life a lot simpler busting a nut in her every screw with no worries about getting pregnant lol
>>
File: IMG_0722.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0722.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>949332
>do you blink?
Nah. First couple times I didn't really want to do it, but they can survive a long ass time outside of water so you gotta make sure they're dead. If they are moving a lot before the knoife, just gotta knock them real good in the head first and they will be completely out of it by the time you put a knife thru their brain.

The big ones always suck because the skulls are super thick. Made me contemplate getting a machete but I don't feel like carrying one around. The last 24"+ one I got, I ended up curb stomping him because I didn't feel like slicing open my hand trying to get through the thick ass head.

Plus they're just fish. Catching them and dragging them onto land is probably much more stressful than having a blade sever their entire nervous system within a second. They aren't smart animals, it's like swatting a fly.
>>
>>949335
Both of those things literally destroy the environment
>>
>>949374
>>949341
Vasectomy best thing I've ever done.

>Wife dropped me off went for coffee came back.
>Slowly out I walked holding my boys.
>Open car door.
>Wife looks confused
>takes a sip of her coffee
>Did you get it done?
>Look at her. Uhh yeah...
>She asks tha'ts it?
>Uhh yeah.
>Litterally a 12 minute procedure.

Why is it so hard to get done over there? If you don't want kids you don't want kids. End of story. I think most men have that figured out by the time they're 23 or so.
>>
>>949427

The idiom 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' seems wasted in the UK sadly.

For some crazy reason there seems to be a concern about my ability to reproduce 'if I should ever change my mind in the future, or I became involved with someone else who wanted kids' despite having a stable 15 year relationship, and there being a genuine physical argument about my ability to cope with bringing up children- it's nuts.

The only think we were able to come up with is that the contraceptives market must be a lucrative hidden economy to the powers that be and permanently removing two people from the need for it is a bad thing (even though contraception is free in the UK the meds/procedures would still technically be paid for by the state) it's a bit tinfoil hat-esque I know but there really isn't much else we could come up with :/
>>
>>949485
Why not kill yourself now and prevent all the harm you are doing to the environment? You do care, don't you?
>>
>>949491
Because I'm not a dumb fuck and I enjoy my life (or have you totally missed out my point on being child free lol). I realise that little I do while I'm alive will ever make a difference in real terms, not giving up beef, driving a car, buying electrical stuff, or or living in a eco commune full of crusty hippies. It would probably be the same negligible effect if I wasn't here either one person really ain't gonna tip the scales on environmental damage done over the past 150 years. I am minimising my footprint by not being responsible for producing (if I'd have stared with kids in my early 20s and that pattern followed) an extra 40 ish humans if we average 3 kids per generation in quite possibly my lifetime. if you eliminate that, and all the stuff that 40 humans will use over a lifetime it will make a difference- it's just a shame not having kids isn't financially incentivised the way popping out kids is out for welfare handouts here in the UK :/

I figure as I'm 34 now I've got realistically 40 years in left in me again, possibly 50 years if I'm lucky to enjoy...without the hassle of kids :)
>>
>>949485
Vasectomy can be reversed. Although expensive and not a 100% guarantee. Maybe they're trying to avoid paying for a bunch of reversals? They could just have a contract be fore the vasectomy that states something along the lines of "any reversal procedures to occur at the expense of patient having reversal done" I donno?
>>
>>949524
People that don't have kids

1. Shouldn't care about the planet and don't
2. Shouldn't be allowed to vote
3. Are selfish fucks as described by your post
>>
>>942887
I smoke a cigarette while running my snowthrower

I like to let it warm up for a while before I use it, and that way I can enjoy my tobaccy while looking at all the nice snow
>>
Doing something you get no benefit from is the definition of cuckoldry
>>
>>943027
That's fucking stupid, we can't farm on our property but we can raise cattle.
>>
File: 1445131279977.jpg (9KB, 283x164px) Image search: [Google]
1445131279977.jpg
9KB, 283x164px
>>949552
>yes people with kids are so rational polite and considerate all the time
>>
I have a degree in environmental science
>>
>>949683
Think of the carbon footprint to acquire that boat anchor
>>
>>949589
Does that mean you're a cuck for being on 4chan? :^^^^^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>949699
>all those wasted 15-page syllabuses (syllabi?) that went right into the trash

>>949562
That's a true human bean
>>
File: nutria.jpg (66KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
nutria.jpg
66KB, 500x394px
Obtained a fanatical hatred of nutria and go out of my way to explain to everyone I see that hunts anywhere close to them why it's in their best interest to slaughter them all.

All nutria must die, there are no exceptions.

Do not eat their shit meat,
Do not use their shit fur,
That only validates their shit existence.

Slaughter them all, let no nutria poison your view.
>>
>>949552

No, I'm not wearing a tin foil fedora, nor am I crusty eco warrior but why shouldn't I care? Granted it's not my primary concern but I'm realistic enough to understand as an individual I can do very, very, very little to stop the changes brought the global population.... and why does this mean I shouldn't vote? I have a full life to live of my own, on my own terms lol. What kind of nutter are you?

How the hell are people so brainwashed into thinking you must reproduce? In the past 100ish years the global population has gone from just over 1.5 billion to over 7.5 billion living in a time where pretty much all technology is oil based, a finite resource...and you think more people is a good idea?
>>
Anyone have tips for helping the preservation of nature?
>>
>>950368
Kill yourself is the only logical answer
>>
I've helped clear two riverbeds, one park, one forest path and a spring. I went to one of those fancy elite prestigious high schools and they needed to keep up appearances so they organized campaigns like this every year. And since I like the outdoors I always signed up.
Of course in the rest of my time I do small things like pick up litter, clear paths, saved a couple of injured animals and so on. I've also taught some of my drinking buddies who used to throw shit in the woods to stop doing it.
I've been thinking of starting a volunteer organization for cleaning up the woods around town when my finances are stable enough for me to afford some more free time. God knows we could use one. The nearby gypsy slum pollutes the hell out of some parts.
>>
>>942887

I own 40 acres of forest, and it's never getting cut down.

I don't drive.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (195KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
195KB, 1280x720px
I filled in some wetlands around my property to get rid of bugs and disease and made some changes to the shoreline of the creek so now it's a nice environment for the family to hang out, BBQ and swim
>>
In the spring/summer I go in a kayak with a bag and a spear and pick up garbage at my lake. It's getting harder and harder though as the place gets more popular. I can't pick up fucking tires in my kayak.

>>942975
Just every once in a while I need a juicy fat burger. I can leave behind steak and veal and meatloaf but I'd like a burger on my birthday.
>>
>>951439
>some picture you stole off of google images that still has its original filename

2/10 apply minimum effort
>>
I throw cigarette butts on the ground
>>
>>943835
I do the same thing, except for that last part.
>>
>>942887
I invested in Lockheed Martin so Skunkworks can finish their fusion reactor faster, and I volunteer for a local environmental stewardship organization in my spare time.
>>
>>950283
>we need to stop breeding
Wrong. Poor people in poor countries need to stop breeding because the vast majority of them are too stupid to care about the environment (don't believe me? fucking travel there and see for yourself). We should actively encourage the decline of their population by doing the following:
>seal our borders
>seal their borders
>cut all foreign aid
>stop personal donations to international aid agencies and invest that money in arms manufacturers and defense contractors instead
>as conflicts get increasingly more violent, invest more heavily in these companies and use the profits to fund more arms stocks
>get the Chinese on board because there just aren't enough sociopaths in western civilization to implement this solution
>>
>>951653
trump voter detected
>>
>>951812
Agreed, sounds like an informed voter
>>
>>942887

Pick up other peoples trash and bullshit. Call people out for littering when I can.
>>
>>951825
>t. Park ranger

fag
>>
>>951812
Not American, mate. Also how is reducing the world's population to 10-30% of current levels a bad thing?
>>
>>942887
I shoot stray cats and european starlings that come into my yard.
>>
>>943183
Congrats you just fumdementally altered the natural ecslosystem and now it's called completely changed. Prbly wiped out a few native species.
>>
>>942887
I try to educate people I go camping with on how to take care of the environment, leave no trace, don't burn your plastic, ect. as well as following those rules myself.

also the usual picking up of others trash, and planting native species in my yard, it and the woods behind it with permission of the land owner. it used to be all osage oranges, honey locust, and honeysuckle. Now Ive got some shagbark hickory, some oak, pine, pawpaws, ect. and while there not producing fruit yet, hopefully this will help the deer, squirrel, and bird populations grow.

aughta ask while I'm here, what other native trees should I plant in the Midwest region?
>>
>>952662

Don't be fucking stupid
>>
>>947069

I'm australian so no. And even if true, why is that worse than funding a coal ceo's jet?
>>
File: DSCN0603 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0603 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
Shooting pests that damage the land.
Taking any trash I find innawoods.
Got a friend to switch to solar power.
Not much else really, I might go and do some tree planting some time.
>>
>>953355
Why do you think filling landfills is helping the environment?
>>
>>953355
nice gorka
>>
>>952917
There was previously no kelp there. Then this jabroni comes in and makes a shitload of kelp. So whatever species were living there previously, even if there (appeared to be) less biodiversity, are now gone. Because thry were suited to the conditions of clear water and little rock cover. Also there can be such a thing as too much kelp. If the kelp naturally grow under conditions where there is only X amount of natural rock cover, then there will be a natural limit to how much kelp can grow in any area. So the species will be adapted to living in conditions up to the maximum amount of naturally occurring kelp. If op comes in and starts throwing down 20x more rock cover than what naturally occurs, then there will be way more kelp than there should be and the biodiversity will be lower than it should be. Maybe higher than with no rock cover, but I already pointed out that no rock cover is a natural condition and some species are adapted to it so you're wiping out those species and replacing them with kelp loving species.

So basically more kelp =/= automatically good
>>
>>953523
Holy fuck, here's somebody who actually knows what they're talking about. I brought up a similar concern in the original thread that those pics were posted in and my post was completely disregarded.

We have a similar problem here in Australia with people creating their own 'artificial reefs' (i.e. dumping shopping trolleys, concrete slabs, weighted crates, etc) in waterways for fishing and diving purposes. "But there's more fish around now" doesn't mean that you have improved upon the natural ecosystem. The natural environment should never be substantially altered to the point where there is a complete ecosystem change without many vigorous studies being undertaken beforehand
>>
>>953679
Not to mention the fact that they removed a large amount of sizeable rocks from further up the beach. Although these rocks were 'lifeless' they would have undoubtedly helped protect against erosion of the beach. A few big storms and not only could the artificial kelp forest be covered by sand removed from the beach, but dune vegetation can become completely uprooted and die.

Yes, the kelp forest is aesthetically pleasing, but this sort of thing could quickly and easily become an environmental disaster without the necessary research being done beforehand.
>>
>>942895
This desu
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to introduce european carp into australian waterways? They've become such a pest and fucked up our lakes and rivers.
We'll never be able to control them. They're talking about releasing a bioweapon to kill them off, but I'm skeptical
>>
>>953694
The 'herpes' virus that they plan on releasing into the waterways does look like it will have a negative effect on carp populations (so a positive effect overall). It certainly won't kill them all, and a massive fish die off can cause other environmental problems. Carp are unfortunately here to stay, as are tilapia and redfin perch. The best thing we can do is to continue restocking native fish species and dealing with pollution and overall degradation of waterways. A larger commercial industry for carp (such as fertiliser and pet food) could also be an interesting unconventional solution.
>>
>>953453
Better it in lainfill then out in forests and rivers ;^)
>>953460
thanks
>>
>>953679
>>953523
If they only created the structre and the kelp came from itself then it is already in the waters. And if you think about the space use it is not much of a problem when you remember that this little reef probably isn't created over the entire water bed. Plenty of room all around with the same rockless, plantless conditions. ONly now the biomes were doubled
>>
File: IMG_2456.jpg (118KB, 938x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2456.jpg
118KB, 938x598px
>>953694
At least you don't have the Asian carp invasion. They seem to be much more of an issue compared to the Yuro carp.
>>
I spend thirty minutes each week gathering my empty Fiji water bottles, washing them out and driving them to the local recycling center/landfill
>>
>>942887
I've been hunting for 4 years and following all the laws and getting the right permits and shit, which means I've actually contributed more to local preservation than most hippies will in their entire lives.
>>
>>953983
>I kill animals and finance buearacrats

t. typical envirotard
>>
>>953999
>killing animals is bad
t. typical envirotard indeed

Maybe you should pick up a book about ecology sometime
>>
>>954001

http://m.gazette.com/editorial-mr.-pruitt-save-colorado-from-the-epa/article/1597202

Are those books by fake environmentalists like at the EPA or real scientists like Al Gore?
>>
I like turtles
>>
Told a mate who wastes too much air to shut the fuck up the other day in Greggs
>>
>>953908
>the blue green algae was already IN the water, increasing its growth can't be bad!
>the crown of thorns native IS native to the Great Barrier Reef, increasing its populations can't be bad!
Completely altering an ecosystem like this is not a good idea without extensive research being done on an area beforehand.

Think about the cryptobiotic soil that /out/ loves so much. Somebody with a poor understanding of the natural environment might think "wow, look at all this bare dirt. I'd better plant a bunch of trees here to make use of the area."
>>
I'm an attorney specialized in environmental law. It's not as great as I thought it would be, but I think I do some good. Mostly stop oil exploration companies from fucking shit up worse than they have to. I could 5 times more dough if I worked for the Dark Side.
>>
>>954235
I was an environmental consultant for 10 years. Best thing you can do is work for the dark side for a couple of years to get some good cash behind you then use everything you know about them against them
>>
>>954235
>>954236
Two fags who are now out of work since the EPA is going away. Poor career choice granolaboys.
>>
>>954245
I'm in Australia buddy, but thanks anyway for your concern
>>
>>954251
That explains why your post was shit

http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/trump-s-epa-making-america-dirty-again/article_6ed5c8bf-0be1-54dd-b02f-c30b8a09cc88.html

You lost, get over it
>>
>>954245
S'okay. I still know how to sue your ass if you don't get my hamburger done.
>>
>>954236
Think about that often. Don't think I could hold it together. They would probably end up having to kill me.
>>
>>954236
how'd you get into that line of work if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>954315
>work for the dark side

What's that mean, a job that requires productive work?
>>
>>954315
>They would probably end up having to kill me.
With how serious I've seen the legal side of things is with environmental issues, I know that you're not really joking.

>>954316
Bachelor of Science with Honours in Environmental Health and shoehorning myself into GIS work to double the money I'd make as a field ecologist. Consulting agencies are everywhere here in Australia because the urban sprawl is continuous and we have a shitload of laws about land clearing and scope of development that can be done in certain areas.

Positions in consulting agencies are pretty much the main entry level job for straight-outta-undergrad students in environmental fields, but higher up positions are highly sought after and well paying
>>
File: 20170218_133107.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_133107.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I bought a piece of land that I will préserve from human expansion.

>inb4 you build a camp on it.
>>
>>954387

No humans were going there before you bought it, so you already failed. Add in the fossil fuels for you to travel back and forth, the gear from Chinese slave labor you will buy and the extra hours you will work to pay for it creating even more pollution makes you worse than HITLER who actually cared about the environment.
>>
Couple of years ago I moved out to the country, so no recycling there. I ended up seeing an article in the New York times about being green. They said to mail back any junk mail to the sender to reduce waste. Makes me feel good knowing it's not going to the landfill.
>>
>>954440
Is this a joke?
>>
File: 1_banner1.jpg (46KB, 424x238px) Image search: [Google]
1_banner1.jpg
46KB, 424x238px
I trap possums here in NZ. Possums have ruined most of our forest environment so it feels good to be doing my country a favor while making a little side cash.
>>
Third generation rancher near Salmon Idaho and we have a wolf problem. Shoot, shovel and shut up. When you bury them, the decomposition of the animal feeds the land like a slow release fertilizer
>>
>>943699
>>943699
>Trump has vastly improved relations with Russia, our most powerful nuclear opponent
>Hillary was threatening military action against them
>????????????
>EVUL DRUMPF IS NUCULAR WAR!!!!!!
>>
>>954530
Yum! Wolf fed taters!
>>
>>954391
>worse than HITLER
Is that supposed to be an insult?

>>954451
Well if it came from a larger city, after sending it back, it will likely get recycled. If anon threw it in his trash at home, it would go right to the landfill. At the very least, it will be in another landfill and not in the one by his home.

But if you want to look at the big picture, you now have useless mail traveling twice the distance and using up twice the fuel in the mail trucks. Also if any of it requires a stamp, think about all of the dead retired race horses used to make the adhesive on the back of those. Probably no stamps on the "Return To Sender" stuff tho so the race horses are ok but the dino juice is still burning.
>>
>>942887
pulled invasive species for a preserve as a volunteer
>>
>>954654
I could almost guarantee that it's ending up in landfill. The companies that send out junk mail generally don't give a fuck about recycling.
>>
>>953908
If he threw down that much rock then it's probably unusable to many species and low grade habitat for the rest, because that much rock is an unnatural condition. And yes, there is lots of bare ocean bottom, but just because it looks lifeless doesn't mean it is And he said this place wasn't completely bare beforehand, so clearly it had more biodiversity than a bare ocean bottom.

There are local species that used that area, and they are different from the local species which use bare areas in other parts of the world. Would you believe me if I told you that a grassy field in Africa is composed of different species than a grassy field in Australia?
>>
>>953679
I'm the guy who you replied to, I forgot to add that I think ecosystems probably can be "improved" (improved for what purpose is the question), but probably always to the detriment of some aspect or species of the ecosystem that existed prior.
>>
>>951931
needs to be more like 50%-60% down sizing really
>>
I've donated to oceana and some other charities if that counts
>>
>>955221
It doesn't. Charities are wasteful with cash and take lavish junkets to remote parts of the world. You are worse than that fag who changes his oil in the woods
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.