[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gardening infographic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: 1485706949174.gif (411KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1485706949174.gif
411KB, 768x1024px
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but do you guys have infographics related to gardening on a small area like pic related.

I'll bump with what I have.
>>
File: 1485707073355.gif (407KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1485707073355.gif
407KB, 768x1024px
I'm a veggie so if it is only plants rather than livestock then that's fine by me.
>>
File: 1485559648472m.jpg (169KB, 1024x636px) Image search: [Google]
1485559648472m.jpg
169KB, 1024x636px
>>942695
Any information is useful information though
>>
File: 1485698881043m.jpg (88KB, 330x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1485698881043m.jpg
88KB, 330x1024px
>>942696
Oh and I will apologize for the quality of some of these I got them from /k/
>>
File: 1485698812995.jpg (79KB, 368x700px) Image search: [Google]
1485698812995.jpg
79KB, 368x700px
>>942698
When it comes to this, are there any specific sort of fish that you should use to help boost it and that they won't die
>>
>>942700
I'm a pet care guy, you can't go wrong with gold fish. they produce shit loads of solid waste, they're hardy, and if the water quality does kill them, they're cheap at most sizes under 5 inches.
>>
>>943130
So out of curiosity do you know what it is that feeds them?
>>
>>942695

Read that if the cows are getting 100% of their feed from the land, then it's 1 (2?) cows per 10 acres.
>>
>>943173
Honestly I'm not looking to try and raise livestock it's to much work I'm just looking for a large yeild of fruits and vegetables in a small area maybe 1/2 to 1 Acre
>>
>>943154
yeah. fish food. a tank that size, you can buy small pond pellets.

you could try having them feed off of insects as they would naturally, but I'm not sure that will be sustaining. and since you're genuinely asking questions, I'll list a couple more tips that come to mind.

The tank the fish are in can't be completely full, the water wont cycle properly if it can't move(splash) significantly from the water flowing in.

hydroponics is a theoretically sound process, but it requires a lot of fooling around with the water flow. too much and the plants don't get enough nutrients, too little and they sap the water of it's resources and generates mold. and for obvious reasons, it has to be reset every spring because of winterizing the system(assuming it's outside).

the ph requirements of the plant are very important with hydroponics. it's not impossible to raise watever you want, but until you have a significant amount of decaying plant matter, the water may promote mold. to fix this you can introduce some moss(sphagnum) too the "top tank". sphagnum has a ph of about 4 and is great for preventing mold in most systems without introducing too much acid. the moss doesn't have to be alive, just natural and in a non processed state(whole with roots).

and if you use clay balls instead of gravel in your grow bed(or a mix) you'll get better results. water travels across the surface of clay balls which makes filling the grow bed unnecessary. this is specially useful for plants that are sensitive to having a saturated stalk for extended periods of time.

any other questions, I'll be happy to answer if I can. if you want to do your own research you should look into planted fish tanks and large planted tanks with a "sump" setup. don't get discouraged, once you've got a rhythm with these things you tend to just go into autopilot when there's a problem and solve it pretty quick.
>>
>>942694
missing page 14
saved the other ones thanks alot!
>>
File: Backyard_homestead_p14.jpg (222KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Backyard_homestead_p14.jpg
222KB, 768x1024px
>>943478
wups wrong file
>>
>>943479
That's actually the exact one I was looking for
>>
>>943479
Is there perhaps one for half an acre without animals?
>>
File: 1411354154987.jpg (1MB, 1800x2700px)
1411354154987.jpg
1MB, 1800x2700px
>>943479
>homesteading on a Quarter acre
>quarter ace

Where are you homesteading NYC or LA?
>>
>>943504
are you seriously that daft?
>>
>>943546
>daft
are you seriously such a pretentious cunt?
>>
>>943569
>pretentious cunt
yes? no? I don't fucking know. does using a slightly varied vernacular make you such? does it even matter?
>>
>>943252
I've always wondered about a natural aquaponic setup. What if you just dug trenches in between your rows of crops and stocked the trenches with fish? Would that see any benefit? I imagine it would act as a sort of insecticide if the fish were eating the pests and maybe there would be some sort of nutritional benefit?
>>
>>943808
http://m.scidev.net/global/farming/news/fish-and-rice-flourish-together-in-paddies.html
>>
>>943815
Nice, I'm surprised that people are just now realizing this. Seems kinda intuitive to me. Another thing I've thought about that should work in theory, would be to surround fields where farmers grow crops with a perimeter of trees where birds can live would be very effective, because they would be able to eat insects, and this would reduce the need for pesticides.

Again, I'm not a farmer, but I don't see why that wouldn't help.
>>
>>943796
>does using a slightly varied vernacular make you such?
Answered your own question, cunt
>>
>>943846
Using trees close to your crops wouldn't work, their root network would fuck anything you are trying to plant most likely.
>>
>>943492
glad i could help you, as you helped me getting the other pages
>>
>>942696
Anyone got more of this set? Or a better copy of this one?
>>
>>942694
Ah, those are from http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-much-land-is-needed-to-be-self-sufficient and its recommended books.

I have been reading quite a lot about this topic lately and could give a bit of useful advice for anyone interested.

On another note, I just cannot get a hold on any of Eliot Coleman's books. Can someone help me out there?
>>
>>944127
>could give a bit of useful advice for anyone interested
Assume a successful planting/harvesting/etc. How long does it take to go from planting seeds to a self-sufficient garden?

Where do I find a chick to be my homestead wife?
>>
>>944167
>Assume a successful planting/harvesting/etc. How long does it take to go from planting seeds to a self-sufficient garden?

One year and about 5 acres if you really do everything perfectly. About two acres for vegetables/corn (mixed in fruit trees that of course take a little bit longer, but you can live off the vegetables for some time/trade them), 1 acre for corn and other food for animals and 2 for animals to find most of their food themselves. Should be more than enough for a full family.
But you will most likely need to experiment quite some time in a smaller scale, so I would say after 5 years you are ready to know enough to plan full self-sufficiency.

>Where do I find a chick to be my homestead wife?
Kek
But honestly, just talk to some young girls who are sick of them world and modern capitalism. Pretty much all of them feel in such a way and if you get one that is ready to give up some comfort over freedom and wants to have a few kids you should try it with her.
>>
>>943504

If you have an acre (normal for the suburbs), then you want more space reserved for your home, front yard, and a play area for kids.

Is this guy's map including crop rotation? Also, if your sheep/goat is living and browsing the same place all the time, you'll build up a huge parasite/disease problem.

The map seems hyperoptimized to me. It seems like if you are going to be so obsessively focused on production, you might as well move to a rural area and have a couple acres.
>>
>>944171

Leonardo DiCaprio flies twice a week between LA and his private island in the Caribbean. When he's not acting or partying, he's a global warming activist lecturing people on how they need to cut down their carbon footprint. It seems like a contradiction, but not if you understand his activism as purely a matter of building and shaping his personal brand.

DiCaprio is an extreme example, but everyone does this to some extent. I'd say 90 to 95% of the people who are into homesteading aren't really trying to change the economic system or become self sufficient. They've got a garden, some fruit trees, and maybe a couple chickens. They won't admit it even to themselves, but it's mostly for bragging rights and to build their own personal brand.

So good luck using "dissent from capitalism" to pick up chicks. Instead, I'd just try to play the field normally but date a lot of nerdy craft chicks. My wife got wrapped up in all kinds of weird projects and so gardening was a natural next step.
>>
>>943944
Say for example you're farming a field the size of a football field. You'd plant the trees where the sidelines would be and that should be enough to attract a decent amount of birds and keep the insect population under control. It's probably more cost effective to just use insecticides, but if you want to avoid them, I think that this strategy should be pretty good.
>>
File: Homestead 5-acre layout complete.jpg (296KB, 1023x592px) Image search: [Google]
Homestead 5-acre layout complete.jpg
296KB, 1023x592px
>>943479
>>
>>944360
Watch cowspirasy
>>
>>944361
Yes that would work, thinking about it you could also use raised beds to help reduce the affect from roots
>>
>>944127
know where i can get free copies of those?
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 318x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 318x400px
>>942694

Look up the book Home Farm.

Even if you don't intend to homestead it's a great read.
>>
>>944615
torrent and google

>>944361
I would simply dedicate one side of the area with trees. This way you have a perfect place for your grass and fruit-eating animals. Generally animals would be very happy to be there, this way you can use that small land very very efficiently. Birds will most likely come there too as slowly a microclimate is developing. Don't just plant your trees in a row like a retard. Think about climates and zones to efficiently use nature in your favour.
>>
>>942694
see
>>927684

And the last post to see where ever the latest thread will be located soon.
>>
coi pond thrives well, not territorial like beta n fight to death. a compost pile is good for excessive foliage, also greenhouse is good4 winter and propagation and trapping transpiration for grafted fruit trees. get a bunch of dwarf fruit trees or just one and turn that to 100. tomatoes easiest to propagate so I put a bunch in cup of water no auxins needed for tomatoes and I put a different type of cutting with rest so they help each other. dwarf trees are cool in ground but I prefer in big pots with spitter irrigation. if you want to be new with irrigation and not obsolete the new one is drip irrigation its the most efficient way to water instead of sprinklers or spitters emitting water to the air.ph isn't issue if u get ph perfect from hydro store, I think u may want 7.0 ph is most versatile in activating nutrients in soil, microbial in compost. idk I worked on college horticulture farm next to livestock but I only worked the plant side with tractors and a bunch of quansets and expensive greenhouses. I just said a bunch of stuff jogging my memory hopefully somewhat helpful, heirlooms best flavors but hybrid are the most resilient to disease and drought. but once u plant a seed propagation is all you need to keep cycle going.genotypephenotype. although I know it is pricey I had a botany proff. who had fish tank hooked up to kale indoor lights and she said it was too efficient too much production so she shut it down. organicide herbicide pesticide.or dishsoap dilutedwith water. use coffee grains after brewed of course on soil for nitrogen. npk. if you want the best one is a potato rootstock with a tomato scion which creates 2 in 1 types because they are same family I had one they call it ketchup and fries because its potato and tomato same family just live off that jk.
sages and herbs, peach apricot plum all graftable too I got a tree with all these n more 5 in 1. I saw a apple tree with 100 varietys
>>
>>944423

Again no pasture rotation. Argh. And cows require a lot of upkeep for what they produce. Sheep or goats are smarter. Rotate your pasture along a schedule that breaks the life cycle of parasites.
>>
>>943504
Where is this? It looks familiar.
>>
File: ibhyghwogk.jpg (33KB, 396x388px) Image search: [Google]
ibhyghwogk.jpg
33KB, 396x388px
>TFW I will never escape the barren wasteland of the suburbs and have a homestead with lots of space to grow things or a creek running through it
>>
File: le poor pepe.jpg (101KB, 753x750px) Image search: [Google]
le poor pepe.jpg
101KB, 753x750px
>>948292
Yes you will. Unless you're a black or a Jew, then btfo.
>>
>>948299
Goddamn it dude, do you have to be 100% /pol/ 100% of every day? Quit being such a cancerous piece of shit.
>>
>>943846

People have been doing the fish thing and the tree thing for a loooong time, olive trees.aroumd vineyards and that kind of stuff
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.