[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Van living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
Has anyone lived, or is currently living in a van? I could use some tips for when I start
>>
>>941661
Obligatory /diy/

That said, do you already have the van, and are you planning on traveling or just avoiding mortgages?
>>
File: rsz_1img_20160409_124704.jpg (171KB, 898x1177px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1img_20160409_124704.jpg
171KB, 898x1177px
Hi OP. Get something you can stand up in.
>>
>>941667
I already have a van, a 1990 Chevy astro. I want to travel within the state, but still want to keep my job.
>>
>>941680
I would have liked to, but I've already bought the van.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg (209KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg
209KB, 1328x747px
>>941688
In that case my best advice is leave yourself some breathing room. Everyone tends to post these builds with 90% of the space taken up by crap. That shit sucks long term. Everything else is easy. Park at walmarts, truck stops, McDs, other 24hr places, housing neighborhoods, etc. Dont park in the same place more than twice in a row.

Anything specific you want to know?
>>
>>941685
The basics are to strip the interior and line with bubble wrap/thermal reflective insulation. Dunno what it is called but you can get it at lowers or home Depot and will recognize it when you see it. From there it depends on your specific needs. I've been planning my own. Will be live in five years I've I'm done clearing my debt and have completed my tiny house and land purchases. Ask me anything.
>>
>>941693
Mostly I was just wondering if I should find a cool spot to park the van and live out of it, and bike wherever I need to go, or if I should take the van with me where ever I go? I don't really want to put a ton of miles on it unnecessarily, but I also want my van to be secure
>>
>>941697
Take it with you. That's part of its function as well as being the more secure option.
>>
>>941697
>>941701
Side note; if you truly have a legit spot to park that is secure then alternative transportation is an option.
>>
Are apartments complexes a viable place to park and still fly under the radar?
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_092512.jpg (150KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_092512.jpg
150KB, 1328x747px
>>941697
Ask around and post on craigslist to see if anyone will let you park it on their property for free. The problem with that though is gonna be going to the bathroom. You may offer incentive, i.e. $30/mo, for access to a bathroom. The nice thing about sleeping at 24hr places is that you can just waltz in and take a shit. You wont find anywhere to park long term without arranging it via a private property owner. Some places have laws against living in your vehicle as well, which wont be too much of an issue as long as you move every night.
>>
>>941707
You can basically stay anywhere for one night. After two nights you will be noticed and if anyone wants you gone theyll get you gone.
>>
>>941711
This. I have car life'd and even in regards to Walmart two nights is like max. You can pull one night just about anywhere no problem.
>>
>>941711
>>941726

This shit. Ppl like to keep track of who comes and goes in places, if you're this unknown van, bus, 747. You get a lot more attention if you stay more than 1.2
>>
>>936875
>>
Reflectrix is crap.
Bubble wrap insulation is worthless without an air gap.
If it's touching the metal of your van it will just conduct the heat/cold.
Read up, there are better options.
>>
>>941661
>I could use some tips
Be a hot girl and you'll get tons of Patreon and Youtube bux
>>
>>941959
This makes me angry
>>
>>942089
Lose some weight you fat cunt
>>
>>941696
Tyvek?
>>
>>941710
>>941711
To counter-act being noticed/suspicious make sure its an all white van.
Get a magnetic decal and put it on both sides of the van so it looks like a buisness van.
Also park BEHIND stores. A business van behind a strip-mall won't raise eyebrows.
>>
living in a vehicle in a city/town/village must be so depressive. waking up on streets surrounded by concrete and shit. ill be out in the backcountry with a 4x4 f250 and self built camper. sucks for people who have to live the city life cause of a job.
>>
File: Stealth Van.png (3MB, 1173x4609px) Image search: [Google]
Stealth Van.png
3MB, 1173x4609px
>>941661
>I could use some tips for when I start

Reposted from /diy/
>>
>>942130
Not him, but you can be pretty sure it's not tyvek. Tyvek is mostly used for waterproofing and breathability, neither of which are useful on the inside of a vehicle.

That pink sheet foam is probably what I'd use. I doubt it's the cheapest option, but you don't need much, and c'mon, this is your home we're talking about here; it'll be worth throwing down the extra twenty bucks.

>>942167
How do you pay for your F250s gas? My dad has one and gets about 15 miles to the gallon. I hope you aren't one of the pathetic fuckers who begs for gas money.
>>
>>942431
i stay in one place for 2-10 days depending on how much i like it. then, i move on down to somewhere else 25 miles away. besides, im hardly broke. =)
>>
>>941688
There are companies that will add a fiberglass top to your van so you can stand up in it. Runs around $5k to do it though.
>>
>>942590
And makes your van ugly as shit, throws any fuel economy it might have had out of the window, and you lose your stealth.
>>
>>942594

>lose your stealth
Maybe where you are. On the west coast there are enough van conversions out there that these just blend right into the rest of them.
>>
I know people with experience have said that stealth is kind of a meme anyway. everyone is blatantly aware of exactly what you're doing, especially if you have solar panels and that big vent fan.

still personally lean towards being as inconspicuous as possible though
>>
>>942615
>everyone is blatantly aware
Very few people in America are blatantly aware of anything past their dinner plate.

Cops and hipsters are pretty much going to clock you every time.
Once you are looking good for it, it's everywhere.
>>
>>942615
it's a meme if you modify your car, have an obvious divider, and camp in the same place repeatedly without just cause. Otherwise it's legitimate. People over the long run will notice what you're doing, but anyone who isn't coming to the area repeatedly won't.

If you separate your nighttime locations where stealth is useful from daytime activity zones, it's not a bad way of life
>>
No one really cares if you don't look like a flithy hippie
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.