[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold Weather gloves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: poland army gloves.jpg (92KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
poland army gloves.jpg
92KB, 600x600px
Hello /out/ I'm looking for some good gloves for cold weather, Do you have any suggestions? So far I found these surplus polish army ones. Have anyone tried them?
>>
Im not sure how much help i can be cos i run really hot, but for skiing and mountaineering i wear rab vapour rise gloves. Not the warmest but they dont overheat, which i find perfect
Ill throw an xl buffalo mitt over the top if it gets really cold and/or really wet. Didnt use them in 2016 but belaying in -20 something in january 2015 they were amazing, worth every penny

Personally id spend a little more on a mountaineers glove or a wool liner/mitt combo, but army gloves coyld be a good budget choice cos id imagine you need dexterity to shoot with them. What material are they?
>>
>>941602
>Each glove consists of an outer shell made from a cotton blend and an interior layer of insulation designed to keep the heat in

That's what the descrption says
>>
>>941615
Cotton is not a good material, especially when against skin. Itll wick good for about 15 minutes and then just sap heat, conductive heat loss i think its called

Synthetic insulation is good tho, all gloves are gonna get soaked so warmth when wet is vital. Id look at a entirely insulation glove (thinsulate and primaloft are great) or one with wool agaisnt the skin

If youre defo after surplus ive got a pair of northern ireland gloves i got for £6. 30g thinsulate and a leather shell, ive used them once and they were too sweaty but for the price id recommend them to anyone
>>
>>941624
Thanks bro, I'll check those northern ireland gloves!!
>>
>>941597
Where'd you find those Polish gloves? I want to get a pair.
>>
>>941757
This is what comes up when reverse image searching.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wip03/item/10006914/
>>
>>941757
>>941777
https://www.army-shop.cz/produkty/rukavice/zimni-rukavice/rukavice-zimni-polska-armada-/9260.html

http://www.keepshooting.com/polish-camouflage-gloves.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Polish-poland-military-gloves-Camo-puma-combat-winter-gloves-/252497998447

Nvm, found more.
>>
Liner gloves, mittens, and hand warmers. Anything less and my hands are just cold. The glove liners give you a barrier for when you need brief moments of dexterity out of the mittens and keep your hands feeling "dry" when you inevitably sweat.
>>
File: warm comfy hands.jpg (388KB, 1447x1191px) Image search: [Google]
warm comfy hands.jpg
388KB, 1447x1191px
I easily start freezing something fierce on my hands, so I wrap my hands up good in winter.
I'll either use these Black Diamond gloves with an extra pair of wool liners. I couldn't find the gloves on their website, but the liner gloves I nabbed from Varusteleka for dirt cheap, and even use a pair inside my work gloves.
I also recently got a pair of Heat Company Special Forces (Not too stoked about the name either, but I couldn't compose my own glove system with them on account of most stuff being sold out) mittens that fold back to expose the liner glove. They also have a pocket on top for handwarmers and whatnot, which seems pretty neat to me.
While I know that the Black Diamond gloves (with extra wool liner, pretty worthless without it) are good down to -15°C plus wind, I've yet to see how my new mittens fare in weather that cold.
>>
>>941597

I can help but you must specify for what situation you want gloves.

Your choice will depend on intended use and environment / activity more than temperature

Sometimes you get very cold in mild weather, sometimes you can be fine without gloves outdoors at -20ºC, sometimes you just need something, even if it's just fabric to cover your hands so they can get warm by themselves.
>>
>>941597
Mittens. Gloves are memes.
>>
KINCO
I
N
C
O

ski mitts or gloves if it's in the 10-40 °F range
>>
>>941597
seems to me you just found the first pair of 'they look cool' gloves

define cold weather

If we're talking real cold I'd say a pair of sealskin merino fingerless liner gloves (10$) over a pair of surplus goretex mittens.

In the extreme cold you want to keep your fingers together as it's easier to keep them warm.

You wear both together, the mitts come off when you need to do something that requires dexterity, but the liners keep your palms warm until the mitts come back on. If one or the other get soaked you can wear the other alone for reasonable effectiveness.

>>942426
this guy gets it

In the mild cold, I'd suggest a pair of unlined leather gloves, easy to dry and decent dexterity

If you're gonna deal with wet, goretex or neoprene

If you're gonna do manual work and need abrasion a pair of thinsulate lined work or garden gloves are decent
>>
>>941597
>>942661

I really like neoprene gloves for outdoor shit, even if i'm not likely to get wet they keep me warm enough (probably with sweat), I use them for cycling, walking and paintballing although grippy textures tend to scrape off if scrambling on rocks or over trees.

The only problem is they can start to smell bad pretty quickly, but washing them is easy and you don't need to wait for them to dry to be warm.
>>
>>942662
Yes they're good for the right circumstances. I've started wearing a pair at work (van driver) and they're the shit for inclement weather
>>
>>942661
Thanks for al the alternatives I don't want them for extreme cold, so maybe the leather gloves with linner could be a good option, too.
>>
File: 20170203_212518.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170203_212518.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I live in Northern Alberta. During the winter I regularly go /out/ doing minimalist survival/bushcraft when its something like -25C. These gloves work very well for me.

They're easy to take on and off.

I cut off most of the ankles and cut a thumb hole in some wool wigwam socks to make some really warm liners. I bring them along but never end up using them. They fit perfectly but because I have very wide thumbs, most mitts and gloves don't fit me so of course these plus thick liners around the thumb won't either. Its not an issue.

The mitts are leather with a thin synthetic insulation on the inside. They cost around $20 CAD. Treat them with beeswax and they're good to go.

I really don't need heavy gloves for even quite cold temperatures because just moving around I generate enough body heat to keep warm. I only really wear these to keep my hands from getting wet with snow. When I'm not deep in the snow doing stuff, I don't wear them even in -20C because I'm generating enough body heat to keep warm building a shelter or collecting firewood or whatever.

Then again, this works for me, it might not work for you.
>>
File: 20170203_212317.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170203_212317.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>944102
Oh I lost my train of thought when I wrote some of this.

I mean to say I don't wear them in -20C because I'm generating enough body heat to keep warm just being active. I wear them collecting firewood... if anybody notices the contradiction there.... whatever
>>
>>942753

Do you think it would be OK if you got two pairs of neoprene, carried one and wore the other under mittens, and then switched them out periodically so they'd have a chance to dry out.
>>
>>944102
That's a very simple but practical soultuion! I'll take it in mind.
>>
>>941597
Where can I find some?
>>
>>944363
Why would you do that? Neoprene is good as a single layer solution as it keeps you warm when wet, and doesn't take long to dry. If you're going to layer you might as well just wear wool or thinsulate liners
>>
>>941782
Sounds like a good plan to fight the cold.
>>
>>941597
I have a Parka in that pattern.

If the lining anything's alike then it'll be pretty itchy.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.