/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bear Safety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: grizzly-bear-03.jpg (504KB, 1920x1073px) Image search: [Google]
grizzly-bear-03.jpg
504KB, 1920x1073px
What do you people do for bear safety? Mace? Guns? No need?

Have you ever had an encounter with a bear or other wild animal?

I usually go/out/ on private land that has no bears but I've been thinking about going on crown land which may have bears. Do I need to be worried and do I need to bring bear mace or a gun? I have no firearm license so getting a gun would be a big hassle but if I should get one, what kind of gun? Keep in mind that all I know about guns is what I learned from video games as a kid.
>>
>>941165
My standard line to liberals who see my gun when I pass them on the trail: "You don't need a gun to defend from bears, but it sure helps me sleep at night."

Most bears I've seen in the woods have run hard away from me in the opposite direction. In National Parks, where hunting isn't allowed and park-goers routinely feed bears (illegally), bears don't run away immediately, but as long as you keep an eye on them and clean up your campsite at night, you'll be fine. I've never had an encounter with a curious bear that escalated to violence.

You'd probably be better off asking /k/ to recommend a bear defense gun, but assuming you're in Canada and may be dealing with brown bears, you should think of something that can push a heavy bullet at a high velocity. Momentum is mass times velocity, and is a pretty good indicator of penetration capability, which you need to get through a bear's thick hide and muscles to penetrate a vital organ or central nervous system. In handguns, .44 magnum or other big bore revolvers are recommended. Rifles and shotguns are also often recommended, but obviously a long gun is much less portable. I carry a Glock 20 (10mm), but there are no brown bears where I live. I also carry bear spray, but don't really trust it.
>>
>>941165
>Mace? Guns?
Both.
Been close enough to mama griz and her 2 cubs that I could have kicked them.
See black bears about once a month through the summer.

Don't be retarded with food and you won't have a problem.
>>
Ground pepper and little bells.
>>
I guess it depends on where you live ?

In canada I think it's a lot harder to get handguns, I'm from US and I usually just carry a big bore revolver or glock 20 (10mm).

I've never really had any close encounters though, I've seen them from a distance but I make noise and they fuck off.
>>
>>941165

>crown land.

Bigass grizzlies.....get a bigass gun or just use a club like the Ruskies do...oh wait you're Canadian, nvm apologize profusely to the bear and tell it you'll bring it plenty of muzzies to snack on.
>>
Class IV UV LASER.
>>
>>941165
Wild bears are just big fuzzy cowards, it's the park bears that will tear shit up looking for Doritos that you have to worry about. Just stay away from tourist traps and you'll be fine. No offense to all you cross-dressing travelers out there...
>>
Getting a firearm liscence is not a hassale at all.
Take a class
Sen in paperwork
Wait 2 months
Get your PAL
Buy gun

Keep in mind that you cant carry restricted firearms innawoods. So no handguns or ARs

But a 45 70 levergat would be pretty ideal.
Or a short barrel shotgun you can strap to your pack.
>>
>>941165
>What do you people do for bear safety?
>be human
>most dangerous and feared animal on the planet
>worry about safety
>>
>>941234
>or just use a club like the Ruskies do...
yeah they don't exactly have grizzlies tho, but they have polar bears.
>>
>>941257
>don't exactly have grizzlies

Do you Animal Planet at all?
>>
>>941259
Did you seriously just admit to basing your knowledge on what you see on television?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lilly

>Ben Lily to a rogue bear, prior to dispatching him with a Bowie knife:
>You are condemned, you black devil, I kill you in the name of the law!
>>
>>941262
>info is info

Have you not heard of the Kodiaks of the Kamchatka Peninsula?
>>
>>941254
How many bears do you wrestle per day?
>>
>>941244
You poor Canadians.
>>
>>941297
never met a bear that wanted to stick around so none.
>>
>>941272
1 those are not kodiaks 2 they are pretty docile as far as bears go.
>>
>>941166
I was thinking about perhaps getting something that could shoot rubber bullets as well as real stuff. Do you think that would work too or is there a point of no return where if I had to use the gun at all, it had better be real bullets? Canada is correct by the way.
>>
>>941244
Ooh a levergat is pretty sexy but it does kind of make me look like a gun-hipster if such a thing exists. Its like carrying a Best Made Axe with paint and shit all over it.

No short barrel anything. Its got to be a traditional looking farmer's gun. As I was brought up to view it -by a farmboy- (and it worked) anything else is just immaturely decadent considering its a gun not a toy. I don't know what that gun is though.
>>
>>941907
>I was thinking about perhaps getting something that could shoot rubber bullets as well as real stuff. Do you think that would work
It would be a dumb way to die.
>>
>>941976
it would work on most things tho, just don't try it on a mamma grizzly!
>>
>>941912
you're in canada so a levergun is about as good as you can get

a gun looking traditional or not doesn't matter, desu just get a pump shotgun since it's versatile if you get multiple types of shotshells and possibly chokes
>>
File: 20161122_130116.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_130116.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>941912
>a gun is only what I say it should be
>I don't know what that is though

Egotistical, ignorant bastard.
>>
>>941912
>No short barrel anything
Actually, short barrel is what you would want if you're getting a (lever) gun to bring with you for bear defense.
Speaking generally here, a shorter barrel means it's lighter and easier to get on target, and that's what you want if you're hiking for an extended period of time. Accuracy doesn't suffer much - for the sake of keeping it simple, you can expect to reliably hit a watermelon at 200 metres with a modicum of practice. This is likely further than you'll ever have to shoot.
Look at the Marlin 1895 shorter models. Henry also makes at least one guide gun in .45-70.
I'm a passably big guy, and I can tell you that even I wouldn't care greatly to lug the rifle I use for hunting from blinds and stands along for a longer hike unless I had a good pack to keep it in (and to be fair, if I didn't already have a good pack, I'd have bought a Vorn rifle pack)
>>
File: mossberg.jpg (1MB, 1599x1073px) Image search: [Google]
mossberg.jpg
1MB, 1599x1073px
>>941165
>What do you people do for bear safety? Mace? Guns? No need?
>Have you ever had an encounter with a bear or other wild animal?
>I usually go/out/ on private land that has no bears but I've been thinking about going on crown land which may have bears. Do I need to be worried and do I need to bring bear mace or a gun? I have no firearm license so getting a gun would be a big hassle but if I should get one, what kind of gun? Keep in mind that all I know about guns is what I learned from video games as a kid.

I always hike/camp with a firearm. Usually a 12ga shotgun or .22LR. Not really for bear safety though (only black bears here, and not very heavily populated here). It's just nice to have. There's no place worse to need a gun and not have one than in the wilderness imo.

If I was in real bear country though main concerns would be increasing scent control and noise production. Have a dry bag and paracord to hang your food, cook/eat >1/4 mi away from camp. And wear a bear bell while hiking. This should cover about 99% of risk.

For the last 1% and actual defense though I think a firearm is essential. A larger caliber handgun like .357 magnum or Glock 20. Or a 12 gauge shotgun with 000 buckshot. Bear spray is great but can freeze, get damaged and depressurize, the plastic trigger can break. It's vulnerable to wind and obstruction by brush. Bears have fought through spray when they're pissed enough, which is usually what it takes for an attack. And if a bear is charging and within range of the spray you are probably fucked and going to get mauled. I'd rather hit it from 15 yards than 15 feet. AND if you spray into the wind you get a face full of it yourself. Nothing like being blinded and delerious on top of just having been mauled. I would carry both if you are concerned enough about encountering bears.
>>
>>942159
>Bears have fought through spray when they're pissed enough, which is usually what it takes for an attack.
there you had to go all bullshit damn
>>
>>942159
here is what happens when you spray a bear:
it will go blind, it will be in severe pain it will have difficulty to breathe and anything it bites will taste like the hottest chili a hundred times.

he will not try to eat you or spend much time on you that's for sure. he will have an awful miserable time. even if he doesn't run off immediately as the spray hits him your chances of getting away with mere scratches are good.

so yeah spray works, if you are worried about the can getting frozen you can get 12ga oc shells, some might even go into a decent flare gun. first shell in your shotty would be oc and if the bear keeps coming you really shouldn't fuck around with buckshot just load the rest with slug.
>>
File: IMG_4550.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4550.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Bears are the rats of the forest
>>
>>941166
>and park-goers routinely feed bears (illegally)
Somehow it triggers me more than it should.
>>
>>942254
>12ga oc shells,

or I could get 12g slugs and kill the fucking bear

If I'm going to carry a gun I'm not going to do some dumb less than lethal meme
>>
>>942317
>dumb less than lethal meme
yeah i know your cowardly kind you would take any chance to kill something because you are so fucking insecure it's not even funny. truth is bears will fuck off from some stern talking or waving a stick around like a wizard. but you don't want that right? you want a dead fucking thing that you don't even want to eat and want to tell people you had to to save your life. i get it.

well whatever floats your boat, but the anon >>942159 said carry both pepper and lethal. oc rounds are the best because the next round is lethal you don't have to switch weapons or re-aim or any of that nonsense just keep pumping if the pepper doesn't do the job which in theory could happen i guess. not gonna happen in practice tho but i'm a big fan of being prepared.

yeah as i said: slugs over buckshot or any other nonsense obviously for your lethal.
>>
File: 1452790009015.jpg (34KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
1452790009015.jpg
34KB, 338x305px
>>942300
>>
>>941997
As in these are what I'm looking for but I don't know what guns fit that description.

Goofball.
>>
>>941297
Can we make body slamming bears a thing??
>>
>>941497
So now you're an expert.

Fag. Show me the bear.
>>
>>942415
>obvious answer obvious
>AR 2018

Got Ar '18, scrotum muncher?

Show me yor's an stuff..
>>
>>942254
Bears have been sprayed and returned to attack again. Happened in Algonquin Park in Ontario a black bear was sprayed, came back and killed to adults. Don't be a dumb fuck that thinks bear spray is the end all to be all, and don't underestimate black bears.
>>
>>942448
I WILL BLIND ANY BEAR, ANY TIME.

God chose us to rule the planet and the animals and I will.

And I will eat them and wear their skins.
>>
>>942448
#BlackBearsMatter
>>
>>941166
>assuming you're in Canada and may be dealing with brown bears, you should think of something that can push a heavy bullet at a high velocity
this
it's recommended to buy the biggest handgun you can
>>
>>941979
It might work on a deer or a jackrabbit. It might just piss off a bear enough to provoke it to attacking you.
>>
>>942453
You can joke all you want about black bears but at least in Canada they are dangerous animals. My friend had a black bear kill his dog and then attempt to break into his cabin.
>>
>>941495
>never met a bear that wanted to stick around
t. one badass motherfucker
>>
>>942458
>My friend had a black [...] kill his dog and then attempt to break into his cabin.
fucking blacks, the same in the USA
>>
>>941165
I wrap myself in barbed wire between layers of kevlar clothing, and have a system of spring-loaded knifes on my forearms, calves, and kneck.

I carry salmon around the forest, covered in scent, making no sound, and rushing any small bears I see.

I am considering finding a way to incorporate stun guns into my design.
>>
>>941270
That was a good read, thanks for that anon.
>>
I carry a Winchester SXP, but it's a bit heavy to be lugging around at 7lbs odd. It's also good for small game
>>
>>942461
they are generally shy of humans, the trick is you should not act like prey, don't make skittish moves and gestures don't make prey noises and they will leave you the fuck alone.
>>
if I meet a bear in the woods I will just rape the shit out of it then it will go tell its bear buddies and they will be afraid of me.

rape that bear. no more worries from other bears. logic people
>>
>>942466
Good chuckle
>>
Im thinking about purchasing my first firearm for backcountry self defense. Would a ruger charger .22 pistol be able to kill a grizzly or mountain lion if one got too close for comfort?
>>
File: 1435214996617.jpg (25KB, 307x352px) Image search: [Google]
1435214996617.jpg
25KB, 307x352px
>>941165

I've got a Glock 20. I'm good bruh
>>
>>941165
i usually bring the bear necessities the simple bear necessities
>>
>>944084
No, bro. Have you even read the thread? Go back and read this post again: >>941166. Literally the first post in the thread. How did you reply without reading it?
>>
>>942329
lol you sound like a tremendous assblasted buttfucker. Was your mom a bear or something?
>>
Glock 20 w/ 6" KKM precision barrel, big dot night sights, and loaded with 220 grain Underwood hard cast flat nose rounds. I carry it in a Diamond D chest holster.

I actually drew it in anger the first time a year ago while backpacking in the mountains. Wife and I spooked a mother black bear and her cubs (during pre-hibernation season no less) as we turned a heavily wooded switchback. Mom false charged and stopped about 15 yards away (lucky for her, if she got closer than that I was going to start blasting). Momma bear eventually backed down, turned tail, and ran thank god. .....btw, my wife spent almost the entire span of the incident deciding whether or not to unholster and ready her bear spray....yea....her combat/survival instincts are not on point.
>>
>>944258
no it was my dad how did you know?
>>
>>944358
This phrase "draw a gun in anger" has come up on /k/ before, and to me, it indicates a regional way of saying what I would call "draw in defense." Where did you grow up where this was how you said that?
>>
>>944451

Can't really say where I picked the phrase up...likely the military if I had to guess. Which on that note - grew up military before joining the military and doing military thing for a while. Alas, my crayon eating muhreen dayz are over (thank fuck, honestly, worst mistake I have ever made in my life...and no I'm not some dipshit who got njp'd all the time before pissing hot on a drug test and getting the boot).
>>
Using your big fancy gun at the gun range is one thing, Landing the perfect shot with a 1000lbs of pissed off bear coming at you at 40mph is quite another. You better learn how to stay out of that situation in the first place.
>>
>>944358
she would had some time while momma bear is chewing on your legs. that is why it's better not to go out alone.1 man is dangerous but 2 is fucking dangerous and 7 is death upon earth. and animals know this.
>>
File: 20160904_191811.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_191811.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>941165
Generally I carry a marlin 1895 45-70. If it's a day trip I just bring my .357 redhawk with some ruger only loads.

I've never had an encounter where I've had to shoot. Seen a few bears around though, wolves too.

In winter when the bears are asleep I generally bring my AR, proven to be reliable in the cold and it'll take care of any wolves I may come across.
>>
>>944716
>You better learn how to stay out of that situation in the first place.
Tell that to the /out/sider who is already in that situation and chooses to live, rather than throw his life away on a bear's meal, you fucking commie piece of trash.
>>
>>944920
>missing the point by miles.
i hope you don't have guns anon with such a shit aim and slow comprehension.
>>
File: 1479353597758.jpg (89KB, 640x522px) Image search: [Google]
1479353597758.jpg
89KB, 640x522px
You don't really need anything. If you aren't a complete mouth better l breather and have some basic situational awareness, chances are you won't have a bad run in with them.

If you really feel the need to prepare for the worst, bring a full size rifle if possible. Bear spray is a retarded half-measure that will get you mauled like that one guy that was all over the internet a couple months back
>>
>>944101
Anyone who does not read deserves to die.
>>
>>944965
I heard your "point" loud and clear. You want to use the government to disarm other people because you are incapable of human empathy. You are not a special snowflake. There are many sociopaths just like you.
>>
>>945255
no that was not my point, and no you still don't get it. the point was if a bear comes at you (which almost never happens to normal people only to retards) you already fucked up your bear defense lines 9 to 1 and you only have line 0 which is proactive self defense. that was the anons point.

i don't think anyone ever would say just let the bear eat you rather than shoot it chill out. we are saying you won't need to shoot a bear ever unless you are a god damn retard.

of course if you waltz around with gun in hand and ready to shoot at any bush that spooks you, you might at one point in your life hit a bear.
>>
The biggest reason that guns work at all isn't because of the damage or pain that they cause, but rather because the person firing the gun is standing his ground confidently and making a loud sound. Bears have bodies like tanks but the confidence of a whipped dog.
>>
>>945339
>Bears have bodies like tanks
well that's a bit of a stretch i don't think a bear would walk away from a collision with a common pickup. and a tank wouldn't even notice that.
>>
>>945367
Obvious euphemism wasn't obvious enough?

"Bears have bodies relative to human bodies in a comparable manner to the relative bodies of tanks to cars."
>>
File: real human bean.jpg (196KB, 610x639px) Image search: [Google]
real human bean.jpg
196KB, 610x639px
>>945371
>"Bears have bodies relative to human bodies in a comparable manner to the relative bodies of tanks to cars."
On average, maybe bears are like pickups and humans are like cars. But you underestimate the limits of the human body.
>>
>>945376
Given the types of responses I see on 4chan, I'm fairly certain that I've had more interactions with bears and humans than most of the posters here.

That said, I'm American, so my perception of the limits of the human body lean more towards food capacity and television viewing endurance.
>>
>>945333
Thanks for proving me right. You're a communist, you can't read and you are full of hatred.
>>
>>945585
>You're a communist, you can't read and you are full of hatred.
rofl you are mentally ill please report in the nearest nuthouse for electric convulsion therapy!
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.