/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mosquito General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: Skeeters.jpg (741KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Skeeters.jpg
741KB, 2048x1536px
During my time as an /out/ist I have been to the arctic, central Canada and the Georgian bay, and each of these trips have been ruined by these flying assholes. How do we defeat the winged parasite? What do you do when you gout /out/?
>>
File: Untitled-01.jpg (164KB, 612x690px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-01.jpg
164KB, 612x690px
Well besides the obvious dousing your flesh with DEET (which I don't do) this is all I got:

1. Bring an oil lantern with you but burn citronella oil in it instead of regular lamp oil. This has a two-pronged benefit; the cintronella discourages skeetos but also oil lanterns are comfy as absolute fuck and you'll really enjoy it anyway. Just be sure you have a specific wick for when you burn citronella, separate from your regular oil wick.

2. Pic related. It's not that appealing at first but try a bug jacket (and pants, if you wear shorts or sleep exposed). Fucking hell the relief these things provide when you're in a real swarm of skeetos can't be beat. Changed my life when I finally broke down and got one. The mesh is very fine so it can get hot in there on a humid day, so dress scantily under there. Probably best not worn during active travel, but amazing to wear it while hunkering down around camp.
>>
File: IMGP0903.jpg (1MB, 2048x1356px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0903.jpg
1MB, 2048x1356px
also what the hell pic of comfy lantern for burning citronella. can be had for like $10 including oil.
>>940370
>>
Follow the Jew model for genocide whites
>>
File: hat.png (318KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hat.png
318KB, 500x500px
>>940370
I used bug nets like that when I was dealing with skeeters like in >>940362 and I think they're kinda meme tier. The big thing to keep in mind is that

a) it will tear if you hurt it's feelings
b) if the mesh is in contact with your skin it and the bugs are bad enough that you need a bug net they can just bite right through the mesh like it's not even there. Buy the ones with solid parts that look like a rain jacket-beekeeper hybrid or find a way to loft it off your skin.

I have something like pic related that I wear with a hoodie and gloves, then I tuck my pants into my boots and am fine.
>>
>>940374
Where did you buy that desu?
>>
>>940378
Fair enough overall but they're way better than meme-tier bro. Yes, mosquitoes can bite through the mesh when it's laying on your skin but that still eliminates like 90% of potential bites. Secondly, I had a Coghlan's head net one that was kinda cheep and would tear, but then I bought an L.L. Bean one (the one pictured) and it's a lot better quality. Nevertheless, it is a mesh and will tear, but that's why I suggested you use it around camp and not while actually hiking or bushcrafting.

>>940380
Honestly I got it at Wal•Mart for like $5. The oil was like $3. They have bigger clunky ones in the outdoors department but the ones I bought are smaller and more compact and those are in the candle aisle. You can get them from lots of places and they're surprisingly cheap for the quality.
>>
>Tyvek painter's coveralls + mesh hat
>>
>>940389
>Tyvek painter's coveralls
Ha, yes of course, but that shit's hotter'n horsecunts. Also if you're gonna buy something like that just get some Frogg Toggs™ because it's basically the same material but more robust and much more suitable for /out/
>>
>>940362
Tobacco smoke.
>>
File: bug bucket.jpg (13KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
bug bucket.jpg
13KB, 440x440px
i have an or bug bucket. it has least obtrusive mesh i've found.
>>
>>940547
Sometimes when I had to take a shit in an area with tons of mosquitoes, I would dig my cat hole and then smoke a cigarette down until it was almost done. Then I'd stick it in the ground behind my ass like an incense stick to try to keep them away while my pants were down.

I fucking hate mosquitoes, I'm one of those people that attract every one in a half-mile radius like a magnet.
>>
>>940362
I eat of lot of garlic. It's more effective against ticks than mosquitoes, but it does still help a lot.

Where did you think that vampire myth came from?
>>
>>940362

Do you honestly think there's going to be a better answer than: Use DEET?
>>
File: ThermaCell_holster.jpg (63KB, 738x640px) Image search: [Google]
ThermaCell_holster.jpg
63KB, 738x640px
>>940362

I can confirm the Thermacell Repellers work as advertised.

http://www.thermacell.com

My buddy, who is a sucker for the latest meme products, bought one a couple of years back and I figured it was a scam but he brought it over and sparked it up while we hung out on the backyard patio and you could literally see mosquitos heading right for us, only to do a 360* and nope the fuck out there when they hit the “force field” of repellent (roughly 4-6 feet in diameter).

I went out and bought one and have used it camping and hunting (particularly during spring turkey season) and it works great, though you have to factor in wind conditions.

If it’s windy it won’t work, as the faint smoke emitted from the fabric repellent pad just blows away but in a light wind, if you clip it on the up-wind side so it blows over you, it will still effectively repel mosquitos.
>>
>>940378
a) It will tear if you are a spazz and not careful
b) Skeeters will bite you through the mesh so the mesh cannot rest on your face
Nets with a metal hoop attached are good to keep the mesh off your face
Nets with a hat are also keep the mesh off your face, but you can also put a hat inside the mesh to accomplish this purpose

Mosquitoes will still land on you, crawl under the mesh, take off to buzz inside the mesh, feed off of your face, and them leave a bloody smear inside your net once you get them

Still the barrier method is the only thing I have found to really work backing in areas like the arctic or high altitudes where the mosquitoes have a really short breeding season. DEET wears off too quick

If I was fishing or car camping I might use >>940715
>>
I'm immune to mosquito bites as I've been bitten so many times but I hate the little bastards landing on me. I just cover up and wear a mesh hat like the ones above. If you get bitten enough times you become immune.
>>
Sometimes the bastards just cannot be managed. When I'm with people, and I do the following, the skeeters chose them over me
Wash with carbolic soap. The orange stinky shit that used to be Lifebuoy. Don't get it your eyes. Look it up, it's a boutique item now at hippy food stores.

Adjust your metabolism. I limit sugar and simple carbs. Skeeters key into prey by sensing chemical emissions.

If alone... Stay /in/ at dusk.
Wear white long sleeves. Cotton if hot.
Wear long pants, especially when it's not Windy. Socks too. Sorry Tevafags.
Hang corks from hatbrim like 'straya.
Get the attached. Don't know why, but shit works better than anything I've ever tried.
It was the only bugdope in the whole place. Like the Abel reels, Sims clothing and Winston Rods, it was way expensive for my 24 year old fly-fishing ass.
Me"Why's it so damn expensive?"
Rusty Gates"Because it works".
>>
>>940380
>desu
>/out/

Go away.
>>
>>940913
newfag
>>
>>940362
mosquitos in the arctic and Canad? Can't be.
>>
Oils like eucalyptus oil work great, just put it on your skin and they won't approach you for a couple hours.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.