/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to hunt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: springbok.jpg (102KB, 703x414px) Image search: [Google]
springbok.jpg
102KB, 703x414px
Has anyone learned to hunt as an adult? How did you go about it? I've been hiking for years and I'd like to try deer hunting, but every hunter I've met has learned from their fathers.

Anyone have experience learning to hunt as a grown ass man?
>>
>>940324
No i learned young. The trick is, find someone who hunts and ask to go with. Many will help.
>>
>>940324
>learn species identification

A Springboc is an antalope, not an ungulate.

Will you be hunting in Africa or a canned hunt in Texas?
>>
>>940359

I know that, I just took this picture on vacation and liked it more than googling 'deer.'

Hunting in Washington State, and I don't know if canned or not. This is what I'm trying to learn. Having never hunted is it better to learn in a confined area?
>>
>>940366
I think the most important hunting lesson to learn, aside from safety, is about ethics.

It can easily be argued that "canned hunts", hunting animals confined within hard boundaries like fences, is not hunting.

It becomes philosophical when asserted that from a property rights standpoint, all arguments are moot. And that "bagging" a trophy class eland without having to go to Africa makes sense for those who can afford to pay a land owner that imported and managed his property on his property, but can't afford to do the same on another continent.

But that's more philosophical, than practical knowledge.

Take your state's hunter safety course and be social, you like likely find someone that will be willing to tell you more than you will get from the class.
>>
>>940385

I don't give two shits about trophys, I just like being outside and eating venison. I considered a canned hunt because I thought it might help me learn faster by success, but again.. complete novice so I don't know.

I have to take the state hunter safety course anyway, so I'll chat some people up and see what I can find.
>>
>>940398
>not mounting your first kill

You have no pride and lie about your vacation.
>>
File: Content Cheetah.jpg (1MB, 1383x2074px) Image search: [Google]
Content Cheetah.jpg
1MB, 1383x2074px
>>940404

Dude I have never hunted and know I like venison, how would I know to give a shit about trophies?

Pic related, I took it from 10m away after the cheetah killed a wildebeest. It was fat and happy and didn't give a shit about us.
>>
File: no u.jpg (1MB, 2074x1383px) Image search: [Google]
no u.jpg
1MB, 2074x1383px
>>940404

Here's another one from a different angle.
>>
>>940324
>try to stay down-wind
>be vewy vewy quiet
>know your prey and dress accordingly
>eliminate your scent/odor as much as possible
>patience
You'll be Nimrod in no time.
>>
>>940414

Thank you, that's consistent with what I'm reading as well.

Do you eliminate your scent with artificial musk or something? What I'm reading is a combination of 'spray yourself with this' and 'fill up your gas tank the night before and 13 other clickbait tips.'

Again, I'm so new I don't know what's hunting broscience and what's not. I don't want to give Cabelas all my money if I can help it.
>>
File: 29818m2_ts.jpg (71KB, 1154x1154px) Image search: [Google]
29818m2_ts.jpg
71KB, 1154x1154px
>>940416
>Do you eliminate your scent with artificial musk or something?
I use scentless deodorant and I dress in layers.
>>
>>940416
>>940428
Should also mention that some of the other hunters in my area hang their clothes outside the night before in order to lose the smell of detergent. I don't and I manage just fine, but to each his own.
>>
>>940428
>>940431

Good points both, thank you. Stuff like hanging clothes outside the night before is the stuff that sounds like broscience, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell.
>>
Hunters are gutless cowardly murderers.

You should be ashamed.
>>
>>940438
>Hunters are gutless cowardly murderers.
I bet you buy your meat at a supermarket, you hypocrite commie scum.
>>
>>940438

I don't fish and can still identify bait.
>>
>>940438
I have mad respect for the people that hunt but butcher and eat their kill

Those that hunt just to kill top predators or have trophies are scum though
>>
>>940471
All lives matter you degenerate.

You're saying "drug dealers can kill each other, but cop killers are bad".

That is so wrong when all life is sacred.
>>
>>940428
Also, take a shower before the hunt, but just use water, not any soaps/shampoos
>>
All this scent masking nonsense is bullshit. The animal is going to smell you if it gets wind of you no matter what deodorant you have on or if you hung your shirt outside or not.
>>
>>940366
I'm from Washington too and I learned to hunt as an adult by myself. The hunter safety course is good and will teach you a lot.

Definitely watch as many videos of how to gut a deer as you can.

It's best if you can find an experienced hunter to help, but don't let it scare you away if you can't find one.
>>
This thread seems to pop up about once every couple of months.

To give you a basic answer to your question...to learn to hunt, you can watch videos and hunting shows, you can read books, but most importantly you can find a mentor to help you. You can do it by trial and error on your own, but it will be a long slow learning curve.

Hunting is very complex and much depends on where and what you are hunting for. Plus in a lot of cases there is no right or wrong answer (such as scent control or high fences) just opinions. Saying tell me all about hunting is like saying tell me all about cooking or something else complex....there is just so much, you can't do it in a few lines in on a message board.

I am a very experienced hunter and I post in all there threads trying to help. If you have specific questions, I will be happy try and help and give my personal opinion, for what it is worth.

One last point. I am in Texas and yes we have a lot of game farm / high fenced operations. It is common here and you can shoot a number of exotic animals including many antelopes (Springbok not common though). These are not always what is called a "canned" hunt. I think of a canned hunt as one where you can not fail. The animals are eight tame, or in such a small place they can not get away. Just because you have fences doesn't mean it is easy. Most of the places are large thick, and hunted every weekend and the game animals are very wary and know there the stands are. Unlike some animal ten miles back in the wilderness that sees few people, may actually be easier to get.
>>
>>940324

32/m/vancouver. I'm in the same boat. Going to try for spring bear with my friend.

We don't own cabin property.
We're the first in our families that are trying to hunt.
We have no fucking clue where to go, or where the 'honey holes' are.

But it sure as shit isn't going to stop us from trying.
>>
>>940324
Watch "Meat Eater", season 5 and 6 of it are on Netflix.
One of the best hunting shows I've found lately.
Steve Rinella also has a book under the same name.

But yes it's generally true that hunting is a skill passed from father to son.
Find some knowledgeable hunter who feels like taking you with him.
>>
This is my exact plan, OP. I'm 38 and I'm going to get back up to snuff with archery, and go bow hunting for pigs in the fall.

From what I understand, wild hogs should be fairly easy to run into around here (Northern California), and they're cheap to hunt. Just gonna wander around until I find some, and murder one. The remote chance of getting charged and sliced will add an extra thrill.

Not even worried about that ethics nonsense...I've been a vegetarian for several years, "ethical killing" is pure oxymoronic bullshit. Humans are perfectly capable of living on plants alone, though this too requires a measure of violence.
>>
>>943425
Now THAT, fags and posers, is what a MAN should be! Fucking whiners.

Best luck, anan. Have safe fun, learn to get better for next time, chat up your story in your fav gun store and take advice!
>>
>>943724
>measure of violence

Lettuceheadsmatter#
>>
I've learned on my own as for also being the first in my family to take up hunting. The past ten years have taught me a few essential tips for hunting. Try your best to eliminate your scent "scent killer spray, no smoking or urinating where you hunt' also by playing the wind. There is no way to make your self scentless but you should definitely try to minimize it the best you can. and the most important tip is sit still and shut up. The hardest part of being a new hunter is keeping calm and quite. and lastly think about where the animals will be not where you want them to be. I hope some of these things might help you. Good luck and be safe.
>>
>>940438
>>940474
lol bait
>>
>>940324
Yes. I got my hunter safety certification as a kid, went on one deer hunt with my dad and then stopped for about 15 years or so because he got a new job and was rarely available for deer season.

I have a couple friends who hunt, but they were in similar situations to me: coming back to hunting as adults. So we kind of all figured it out together as time goes on. I mainly hunt small game, but have done the past two deer seasons (with no luck). The biggest challenge is where to hunt. I have no access to private land at the moment, so I use public land which is a bit of a challenge. My recommendation is, if you;re serious about hunting, is to use the off season to research. There's tons of books, websites, and videos for the average hunter. I used a lot of my general outdoor experience to figure out places to hunt, based on past hikes and what not, but shit is harder on public land. Remembering places that I've seen large congregations or game, good habitat, etc. Using books and videos tailored to specific game can help you figure out their preferred habitat and the preferred method to hunt them.
>>
>>940324
Join a hunting club.
>>
File: Hunting-300x200.jpg (20KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Hunting-300x200.jpg
20KB, 300x200px
>>941060
underrated post
>>
>>940324

I started out with hunting small game. Rabbit, bird, slowly moved up to white tail. It's nice to have some one experienced there to teach you. You can learn from trial and error, studying shit. If any thing, I had to work more on longer range shooting.
>>
>>944694
>assuming you don't hunt with bait

No killz detected.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.