[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultralight Backpacking/ trail runners only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: gear.jpg (775KB, 1500x1499px) Image search: [Google]
gear.jpg
775KB, 1500x1499px
No boot users/backpackers with a base weight over 10 pounds/4.5 kg allowed
>>
>>939956
4lbs. Okay, now what?
>>
>>939961
Now we hike 16 hours every day, blowing through camps where backpackers with heavy loads stop for the day because they're tired. They ask, hey join us, come camp with us. We're like lol no, we aren't tired because our packs are light, we have 35 more miles to easily pound out
>>
>>939966
Oh, I see... You've never actually done this before.

I'm going fishing, see you later.
>>
>>939956
no fucking way that shit weights 10 pounds. two heavy as fuck slr's? 50 demerits and bed without dinner. slytherin loses!!
>>
So this concept works well in certain conditions. Nice mild temperatures. There are a few times that it just doesn't work. I have been backpacking where I have to carry upwards of 3 gallons of water at a time. I have also been places where I have woken up in the night to see that it's -20F outside.
>>
>>939980
Ultralight works in all conditions, 4 lbs is my ultralight in the summer, 15 is my UL in the winter.
>>
>>939972
Yeah why does he need two cameras
>>
>>939956
Give your legs a work out you pussy. Bring some rice and a pail.
>>
Bruh, you have to wear more than 15 lbs of clothes here to not get frostbite on your way to work here. UL doesn't always work as planned.
>>
I just got into hiking over the last two years and have finally assembled some camping gear.

My pack is an Osprey Exos 48 and I've got some good basic gear, but my problem is the weight/size of my tent and sleeping bag. I've got a Marmot Ajax 3 tent (6 lbs. 2 oz weight) and a North Face Dolomite 40 sleeping bag (2 lbs. 8 oz. weight) that is very comfy but packs HUGE. Now I'm not going for ultralight setup, but I'm worried that these main pieces of kit are too big/heavy for even regular through-hiking. What do you guys think?
>>
>>939972
>>940005
The top one is an SLR. The bottom one is a digital camera stylized as a rangefinder camera (a Fuji or some shit). This is a digital vs film thing. Many people will tell you they aren't the same (they aren't).

Seems dumb, he makes it look like photography is a priority but carries no tripod. He should just take a point and shoot that does RAW and be done with it.
>>
I wish I was a manlet so I too could have tiny gear
>>
File: Week Bag.jpg (76KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
Week Bag.jpg
76KB, 512x341px
>>940023
I'd stop carrying the tent, it seems totally unnecessary.

Ultimately it's what you want and what you have the skills to do without. Myself and maybe a couple people I know would be capable of going out with nothing but a knife, but that wouldn't be terribly enjoyable. I always carry enough to sleep comfortably and catch fish for a good long while, but I don't really need anything else, so that's pretty much all I carry.
>>
>>940029
The tripod is below the cameras. It.s a gorilla pod style one.

Can you explain why a tripod is a prerequisite for serious photography?
>>
>>940157
>Pretends to be a photographer, doesn't understand the importance of taken stabilized shots.
lol
>>
>>939956
Does a 10-day school with nothing but a poncho and a woobie count?
>>
>>940157
>gorilla pod
>tripod

lol
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>939956
>those cameras
You must be bretty kewl. Trim the neckbeard up a bit and you fit in just right at REI with the normies.
>>
>>940146

Yeah, I'm probably going to make two sets of gear: one for going solo and one for when the girlfriend and dog want to come along. The 3 person tent would be great for the latter situation, but I'll probably grab a bivy and smaller sleeping bag for going solo.

Recommendations for <$120 bivy and similarly priced good light/packable ~40 degree sleeping bag are greatly appreciated. Also, I'm a gun noob in NC and considering getting a pistol. Anything I need to know or consider?
>>
>>940162
>10 day school
whut?
>>
>>940023
The tent is by and large the heaviest thing. You have to ditch it, that thing is a monster.
Exos is a great option for thru hiking.
Also for most thru hiking you're going to want at least a 30 degree bag, most go for 20.
If you're serious about thru hiking you gotta upgrade the shelter and bag.

Most succesful pct thru hikers have a baseweight of 15 pounds or less.
>>
>>940185

It's a school that you go to for 10 days.
>>
>>940183
used kelty cosmic down
also dont get a bivy bivy camping is shit, just get a tarp or light tent
>>
Never been camping before for reals. What do I need?
>tent
>sleeping bag
>sleeping mat
>water
>food
>tarp
>lighter
Am I missing something?
>>
>>940269
first aid kit, knife/multitool, hat. also weighted clothes for bodyslamming bears
>>
>>940271
What's a good multitool?
>>
>>940274
Leatherman or Victorinox SAK, pick your poison. I have a Victorinox Huntsman and it's great, wish it had a one-handed locking blade tho
>>
>>940183
Here's a list of what I carry for solo: >>936387
As far as sidearms go, I personally don't see the need, but if makes you feel safer go for it, just don't go firing off into the dark, it'll probably be the dog.
>>
>>939956 two cameras?
>>
>>939956
>No Boots
>Mesh Bag with no center strap
>Trail running

Enjoy your broken ankles sperglord
>>
>>939995
What is your winter ultralight setup?
>>
>>940022
Do you even know what hiking is? It's not the same as going to work, retard
>>
>>940185
SERE/SAR, assuming.
>>
>>940183
A pistol is only useful for fighting your way to your rifle, so.
>>
>>939956
fuckin Leica
>>
I've actually been really interested in being "ultra light" I usually carry 40ish lbs and its never bothered me but am always interested in the type of gear lighter hikers have but I also dont have a fuck ton of money just to waste on light items from REI. Which relates to me carrying the 40 or more pounds of shit I carry.
Where do you guys find shit and how well does your gear actually hold up during the different seasons?
>>
Hey this seems like a good place to ask; does anyone have any suggestions for a good pack? Doesn't need to be light just needs to be big enough for a 3day.
>>
>>940497
i finally gave into the ultralight groupthink and got a ULA circuit last year

it is a pretty decent pack
>>
>>940470
UL gear is more expensive. There is no way around it. I'm not a trailrunner, so I don't bother with all that shit. Only items I have that might be considered UL are an MSR pocket rocket stove (the one in OP's pic) and a ZLite Sol.
>>
>>940500
I'm checking it out, looks pretty good. Does it have the ability to attach my insulator mat and sleeping bag to the outside? The interior of the bag needs to be able to hold cooking supplies, FLIR and batteries, most likely bolt cutters and crowbar, radio system, panchos, insect tent, and most likely folding rifle with munitions. These things take up a lot of space and am hoping for something a bit... wider.
>>
>>939956
so you got walking stick, I guess you need them when you are old.
A burner, but nothing to cook or cook in.
A completely useless water filter.
Two cameras but no pants.
Please have your Alzheimer checked.
>>
>>940383
2x 1L water bottles + bleach dropper, a gatorade bottle, cocoon hammock, rain gear / fly, prepared firestarters, a cook kit and a bigger bag to hold it all. I could actually go lighter, but warmth is a higher priority for me in the winter. I may also carry a fishing pole or snowshoes depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.
>>
>>940172
>>940161
Not everyone has Parkinson, or participates in the same type of photography that you value
>>
>>939966
Why not just enjoy hiking instead of trying to be a min maxing faggot about it. Set up camp, chill under the stars a bit and enjoy it.
>>
>>940561
The bait is strong with this one.
>>
>>940984
Those are actually pretty good points.

You just couldn't come up with anything intelligent to say, huh?
>>
>>939956
>2 faggotcams with trihardpod
>no water, food, or spare batteries for your light
>but you've got your REI overpriced shit trekkking poles

bonus:
>0/10 backpack
>>
>>940990
lel

>Trekking poles are proven.
>GSI to cook/boil in.
>Water filters are useless?
>No argument about the cameras, but who really gives a shit.
>Packing extra pants in a UL setup?

Man, please enlighten everyone with your vast storehouse of UL knowledge. We can wait for you to go ask your mom's boyfriend if need be.
>>
>>940561
>>940996

I heard this was a water and food thread. Post pics of your water and food pls.
>>
File: 1471626539816.jpg (415KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471626539816.jpg
415KB, 1920x1080px
>>939956
Youre the reason outdoors-man aren't taken seriously.
>If you refuse to utilize the gear provided by modern technology youre setting yourself up for failure or you arent spending enough time innawoods to actually need anything useful
>>
>>941005
Yeah... If you read the inference "hey, look, there's no bottle, bag or straw to attach that to" and think it means "all water filters are useless", then I'm not even going to bother taking the time to explain the rest of those issues to you.
>>
File: 1475468832923.gif (80KB, 223x199px) Image search: [Google]
1475468832923.gif
80KB, 223x199px
>>939968
>>940005
>>940010
>>940022
>>940052
>>940161
>>940341
>>940650
>>940990
Well said boys. You can always tell whos actually spent time /out/.
Not like OP who has clearly fallen for the primetime TV "survival" fad
>>
>>941025
>I wouldn't have said shit if there was an empty water bottle in the pic

Sure...
>>
>>941029
>I'll keep defending my point no matter how many times I'm proven wrong.

Get a friend.
>>
>>941033
It's not even my point.
>proven wrong

Okay. He must not be wearing shoes either, right? It's not in the pic. Bet he has no ID. That's not in the pic either.

You're here to shit on people.
Cool.

I'm not.
>>
>>941039
Actually, I'm here to answer questions and give advice; I only shit on trolls.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.