[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im a retard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: guide10kit-pdp-1000x667.jpg (19KB, 375x250px) Image search: [Google]
guide10kit-pdp-1000x667.jpg
19KB, 375x250px
Im a retard and I cant figure out if these two things are compatible

Im wanting to use a goal zero nomad 7 solar panel to operate an electric hot plate in the woods

I know I'll need to convert usb connection to wall outlet style

I need to know if the solar panel can produce enough energy with say, the guide 10 charger. Theres a few charger and generator things on goal zeros website. I need to know what model I could power an electric hot plate with, the guide 10 and the nomad 7 is the smallest kit they have

Hot plate uses about 800 watts

Pic related, guide 10 charger and nomad 7 panel
>>
File: 20161123_150049.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_150049.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>939536
>electric hot plate
>>
>>939539
But seriously

Hot plate is 800 watts

Battery capacity is 11Wh, 2300mAh (4.8V)

I have no idea what to do with this information

What will a 800 watt hot plate require, energy wise?
>>
>>939543
I'm no engineer, but I don't think you're going to get an 800w hot plate to work unless you get like 50 of those portable solar panels.
>>
File: 20161227_110646.jpg (958KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161227_110646.jpg
958KB, 2560x1536px
>>939536
>God, Why did you create retards?

Yez, it can be done you will need to store your potetial in a pile and switch the direct curret to a modifed sinw wave and step up to a higher voltage.

The resistive element of the hot plate is literally the most tolerant of devices to a shitty sine wave, but you are not gactoring Watt Hours into the capacity of your pile, unless you want to haul around a marine battery?

Dude, pic related.
>>
>>939548
Dude what does any of that mean
>>
File: 20161227_110930.jpg (948KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161227_110930.jpg
948KB, 2560x1536px
>>939549
Dude, forgiving misspellings, that's why you can't do it.

Dude, pic related.
>>
>>939550
I just need that explained differently it isnt because you misspelled anything I am truly dumb please dont be elitist with me
>>
>>939560
it's not going to work. it's like asking if a gardening hose can generate as much energy as a river dam. he's telling you to ditch the idea of an electric hotplate and do what everyone else does, gas cooking.

quick question, not trying to insult - do they teach basic physics in high school anymore?
>>
>>939569
Never recieved any education at all. Long story.

I just dont know what the terminology means because ive never seen it.

Thats why this was hard for me.

There are bigger versions of this device, any idea what model could power this? They eventually get full blown generators that im sure can do this, trying to find the smallest one thats capable
>>
>>939572
>They eventually get full blown generators that im sure can do this
you might have to go that high. is the hot plate meant to be plugged into a wall?
>>
>>939572
also, just to get some grasp on what some of these terms mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvuHsu8S6v8
>>
>>939575
Okay I finally found information that made sense to me. So their biggest generator can handle 1200 watts continous but 1500 watts surge on its AC inverter, apparently I cant or shouldnt convert a usb port into an ac outlet(im dumb). The second smallest size only does 300 watts continous and 600 watts surge, which isnt enough for the 800 watt hot plate. I found out what a sine wave is too now.

Things make much more sense now.

Thread is pointless now, we could turn it into a self succifiency thread or something.

Interested in being able to hike the PCT and was considering using solar for a lot of my needs.
>>
>>939578
okay, glad you were able to figure it out. you might be smarter than you think.
>>
>>939578
Solar may be suitable for a rechargable flashlight or keeping your phone going for GPS, but a 7W won't handle much more than that. I took a 7W on the PCT and still had trouble, at the same time, nothing bigger would have been viable due to the weight.

For something like cooking, you want pure concentrated energy, so either gas or alcohol.
>>
>>939543
What's the voltage of the hot plate? 120ac is my bet. You'll need 120 volts DC to power it because household voltage (AC) is expressed as an RMS value which is the DC equivalent of an A/C sine wave for heating elements (purely restive circuits).

>Battery capacity is 11Wh, 2300mAh (4.8V)
I(A) = P(W) / V(V)
800watts/120volts=6.66~amps
The electric hot plate draws 6.66amps @120V. The battery only gives you 2300mA @4.8V, which is 2.3amps. Also the voltage is low as shit, so if you hooked up the battery it probably wouldn't draw anything close to that amperage because current is I=V/R.

6.66=120/R
R=18ohms
>I calculated the resistance of the hot plate

I= 4.8V/18ohms
I=0.26amps
>used the figured out resistance to calculate what current would flow through if you used your shitty battery.

Hooking the battery to the heating element would draw 0.26 amps compared to the 6.66amps it normally draws. The element might get warm to the touch, if that.

But I donno, I haven't done any these calculations in a long time. I could have made a mistake, but even if I did. I'm telling you right now, it won't work if the electric hot plate is rated for 120V.
>>
>>939548
>Yez, it can be done you will need to store your potetial in a pile and switch the direct curret to a modifed sinw wave and step up to a higher voltage.
You do not have to alter anything for a heating element. It will work on AC or DC as long as the voltage is the same and your source can supply the current needed for the wattage.
>>
File: solostove.jpg (73KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
solostove.jpg
73KB, 600x600px
OP assuming you don't live in a desert, a wood gasification stove might be your best bet. They are cheap, durable, and light and use small sticks or grass as fuel.
>>
>>939536

Naw mang. You can't draw 800w from a panel that chucks out 5w on a sunny day.
>>
>>939536

You can't sufficiently power an electric hot plate with portable solar panels and/or a small portable power bank. Fun fact- you can trip the breaker in many hotels with an electric hot plate.

You should be looking at a portable gas stove or fire.
>>
File: 1382294208062.gif (1MB, 200x147px) Image search: [Google]
1382294208062.gif
1MB, 200x147px
>Trying to draw 800 watts of power through a USB port
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.