[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Energy Independent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: funny-awesome-photos-4.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
funny-awesome-photos-4.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
Anyone heat their own home, heat their water, and cook mostly with logs?
How many logs do you go through in a year? How many trees?
Tips?

Being a NEET most if my life, I'm swinging towards the opposite direction. I want full independence. And that means energy independence too.
I just want to know how much fuel it'll take and if it can be replenished naturally.
>>
Binfuels derived from short rotation coppice is feasible. Silviculture requires.much more space and time investment.

Why do you assume burning wood is sustainable or deemed energy independent?

I would go for whatever is complementary to your property (not that you have one, need faggot).

You've only considered heating, if you consider electricity you're going to want to diversify your energy supply. Imo PV systems are the best solution in terms of output and cost.
>>
>>938649
Fucking auto correct.

*bio fuels

*neet
>>
People do the whole paper log thing, but honestly, I think it would smell really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLZ88_DZz8
>>
>>938661

Doesn't burn the brick.
Doesn't do a burn comparison.
The video was just empty space.

I don't plan on having any mail or newspapers. When I mean independent, I mean indawoodsnoonewillfindme indpendent.
>>
>>938649

Binfuels sounds foreign to me and complicated.

Time and space I have. I wouldn't mind planting a dozen rows of trees. And each year cutting down a row for fuel. And after an X amount of years come back to the first row, regrown.

I just dont know how many trees per row, and how many rows.
>>
>>938661

Could you make bricks from woodchips/saw dust? Would that burn well?
>>
>>938630
I heat my home with a woodstove, and typically chop the wood myself in the spring (letting it dry/season during the summer/fall). Usually use about 3.5 chords per winter.
Generally I don't cook or heat water with it, but can and do if power goes out (which is common here in the winter). Cast Iron is your friend here. For water I just put a big pot on top and pull it off when it gets warm.
>>
>>938791
I make firestarters out of my chainsaw chippings and wax
>>
>>938630
For heating water/cooking in the summer months, it will be more effecient to go for wood gasification and a propane hot water heater, stove, and refrigerator. Look into it. You're going to want 20+ acres of forest to get your wood from sustainably. I would bet around 10 cords/year, just as an off-the cuff number, assuming you'll use about 3 cords/year just for heat if your house is well-insulated and you have an effecient woodstove.

Ask yourself if you're really up for this.
>>
>>938630
>logs

Get/make a "rocket stove mass heater". Learn to coppice and pollard your trees to maintain them without need for completely destroying them. Deadfall is also great. If you have a pickup truck, you can drive around after storms to find fallen trees along roads. Talk to the road crews and give them your phone number so they can text you locations of trees they've removed from roadways. In the USA Asplundh, similar companies, and landscaping companies can also give you alerts.

Google these terms:

rocket stove mass heater
coppicing
pollarding
>>
>>938800
>Generally I don't cook or heat water with it, but can and do if power goes out

When I'm heating with my wood stove I do nothing but cook on it. I also have big stockpots to keep boiling water going all the time, both for the humidity in winter and for hot potable water on demand. I even have little ovens to bake things in over the stove.
>>
>>938819
Honestly anon I would cook and heat water on it more often if I had the time. I run a small dairy farm and I simply don't have the time to wait for water to boil on the stove or a roast to cook. I barely have the time to split wood.
>>
>>938832
That's why mine has stock pots of water on it all the time. I use the same pots to place a bamboo steamer on top for cooking.

If you don't have time to boil water, you don't have time to cook or your stove is rather inefficient for cooking for some odd reason. Stuff like boiling water and cooking a roast are set and forget type of things. Like using a crockpot. The only time I have to stand around is when I'm frying.

>splitting wood

I use deadfall and pollarding so I don't need to split it.
>>
>>938837
Boiling water is absolutely not a set it and forget it thing with my woodstove. It has boiled over on my more than once before. Surface temps get to more than 650 degrees Fahrenheit.

I wish I could heat my house entirely off deadfall, but the forest I get my wood from is all primarily old growth oak, most more than 3 feet in diameter at the base.
>>
>>938840
>water
>boiled over

Use a lid. For cooking use a spacer. Adjusting that is how you let things simmer or roiling boil when you are away.

Deadfall is just fallen limbs in this area. Sometimes storms bring down entire trees but that is rare close to home.
>>
How cold dies it get during your cool months? How big is your home? Do you want to heat the main living area or the whole house? Wood stove or wood furnace? Inside furnace or outside furnace?
>>
>>938837

How long would it take you to fry up bacon and eggs from scratch/cold stove top? With either logs or deadfall. I'm really interested.
>>
>>938903

>How cold dies it get during your cool months?
-20 would be the average. -30 on those special days.

>How big is your home?
1500sqft

>Do you want to heat the main living area or the whole house?
Half of the house... but at that point, why not full.

>Wood stove or wood furnace? Inside furnace or outside furnace?
I guess it depends what's best.
>>
>>938813

You're harshing my reality man...

When people say "20 acres" is that clear cutting so nothings left or?
>>
File: DSCN2336a.jpg (2MB, 3068x2292px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2336a.jpg
2MB, 3068x2292px
>>938912
Including making the fire, the skillet gets hot enough to cook and fry foods in about 2-3 mins. It just depends on how fast I'm moving more than anything. You can make a bunch of bundles of stuff to start and fuel a cooking fire then wrap it up. When you need a meal you toss one in and light it. That cuts down cooking time quickly

If you are using a rocket stove, cooking times are far faster going from cold to hot skillet since the heat is hitting the bottom of the skillet directly. It takes all of 30-45 seconds to go from fist smoke to no smoke fire in those

Starting the fire is the only real difference as far as speed goes for cooking. The way you adjust the heat on the other hand can be vastly different. Having something you can raise and lower is the best normally for direct heat. For contact heat you slide the skillet or pot to a cooler section of the stove top; sometimes you raise it. It depends on your setup.

>>939016
You need to check out stuff like this >>938816 Most stoves are very inefficient for heating and for cooking and most fuel gathering methods are equally as inefficient.

If you really want to be more efficient with cooking fuel you can use a thermal mass cooker/haybox/insulation cooker, whatever you want to call them. They are a very insulated box you put your hot food in to finish cooking using the food's own heat. It is best used for liquid type foods like pasta, soups, stews, etc. You bring the food to a roiling boil then chuck it into the insulation box and wait x amount of time. It is the best way to cook rice without a rice cooker and using a normal pot.

I just use an ice chest. I have 2. One small one filled with old towels as the insulation and one massive one for 2 pots or stock pots that uses shredded foam and packing peanuts in trash bags. The pots sit down onto the insulation into sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil (it gets reused), they get wrapped up by the foil then covered with more insulation and the chest is closed.
>>
File: DSCN3563a.jpg (614KB, 2052x1528px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3563a.jpg
614KB, 2052x1528px
>>939028
>>
>>939016
No. Select cutting.
>>
>>938920
My house is 2500 sq ft, I burn 6 cord of rock maple and oak mix every year. I heat my whole house using a furnace, my old house was 1200 sq foot and I heated it with a wood stove, except for the bedrooms and bathroom and burnt four cord of hardwood mix. Before that I had a 750 sq ft I heated with 1.5 cords hardwood using a wood stove, heating just the kitchen, living room and one bedroom.
>>
>>939072
I should say that my winters are close to yours in temp. However it is ALWAYS better to have an extra cord or two in reserve.
>>
>>938630
Thermal efficiency (size of space being heated, insulation, etc) will determine the amount of heat you'll need to produce, which will depend on the type of wood you're burning, which will depend on the climate you're in. Once you know all of that, you can determine the number of trees you'd have to plant in order to meet your needs.

If you're planning on building a cabin on public land, be prepared to put an enormous amount of work into it and likely have it torn down the next summer and possibly getting arrested for misuse of public lands. You're much better off staying on the move like I do. Every two weeks, you move camp a few miles away and you've got fresh sources for deadfall, fish and squirrels. Just stay near water.

>>938649
>need faggot
Well, you're in the right place.
>>
>>938630

My folks have 80 acres of deciduous woodland that produces enough ash wood just from normal management and pruning of trees to fuel their wood gassifier. It does a 50kg burn every five days, and the expansion tank is so good it keeps their tap water hot enough to scald and the whole house toasty warm. Bear in mind it's a big old 8 bedroom farm with an annexe. They also took advantage of their big 'ol log stores (they have two which have 60' x 20' roofs) to mount a load of solar PV. Next step will be a house battery.
>>
>>940304
Has the house been fully weatherized and pressure checked? That results in amazing energy savings.
>>
>>940493

Unfortunaly it's a 300 year old stone built house with 3' to 4' thick walls - Cavity wall insulation isn't an option. One end of the house has 50mm Celotex under false stud walls to make it more efficient, but I can't feel a difference. Probably because the roof space is so packed out with Rockwool.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.