[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first timer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 15th_century_bell_tent.png (100KB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
15th_century_bell_tent.png
100KB, 280x200px
Hi /out/

im going to be going to the wayne national forest this summer, and it will be my first time backpacking by myself. I plan on going a mile or two deep into the woods, nothing too extreme, for my first time

what are some general concepts that i should keep in mind? i have no skills in relation to surviving comfortably out for a couple days. going to go for 3 days at the least, to make my trip worth while.

any youtubers i should watch? any guides?

thanks
>>
File: 1440949705904.png (567KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1440949705904.png
567KB, 1920x1080px
Welcome brother.
First of all I cannot in good conscience recommend doing 3 days for your first trip if you have literal ZERO skills. would recommend a simple overnight trip first.

Thankfully you said you are going this summer, so we have lots of time to prepare.

However if you are going to lets try and get you ready.

First of all lets talk initial Planning.
For the love of god please have a detailed plan of your trip. Print off a map of the area, mark where you ideally want to go. Give a copy to someone with the dates of your trip and when you will be returning so if worst comes to worst someone can find you,

get a WATERPROOF map and a compass and learn to use them to minimize your chances of getting lost.

now I will ask you what if any gear you have now?
anything you think you will take with you.
Backpack, Knife, shelter, sleeping bag, water bottle. Just give us a big fucking list.

then we can figure out where to go next.

as for some Youtubers I watch a few.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MCQBushcraft
MCQBushcraft is a favourite, very informative but might sound a little monotone and rambly at times. however literally every one of his videos will be extremely useful for you to watch and learn the skills.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Taromovies
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlfieAesthetics
https://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

all 3 of these guys also make enjoyable and informative videos. If you like the /out/doors you will enjoy watching em.
Pic related is an okay starter guide to gear, mainly the left column checklist is a good starting point.

but if you reply with your current gear and thoughts, so I know you are here. I will help out some more and type a fucking essay for you so you dont die.
>>
>>938574
>i have no skills in relation to surviving comfortably out for a couple days

have you done a single overnight alone? have you done multiple nights with friends?

keep in mind
Water > everything
a mile or two miles in many nature reserves is a LOT longer than you think- although according to the google Wayne looks relatively flat.
there is no such thing as cheating when solo camping so just bring dryer lint or make a little fireballs with cotton/Vaseline/lighter fluid.
>>
>>938718
i have some good knives, some fire starters, a pocket camp stove that will do the job.

i have a single person tent, and im taking a firearm.

thats about everything, im concerned with water, and rations. i was thinking of taking MRE's and making some dry rations of my own, i have some guides on that. so i think food wise i should be fine, im just concerned with water and the skills and knowledge i might need.
>>
>>938871
food is actually quite easy imo.
Just bring what you like eating.
I usually bring Rice, Jerky( probably too much), Cheesewheels. I like to pre-cut potatoes and wrap em in tin foil with some S&P+olive oil, throw em on the fire.

i have a little wire mesh piece that i can put over the coals and cook a steak or put a pan on.

for 3 days you really don't need to dehydrate food and worry about ounces.

For water i have 2 40oz Kleen Kanteen
i usually average 1 a day.
be sure to drink throughout the day not just when you feel thirsty.
For filtration wise you have a few options.
what i have is 4 ways and ill order them in most used
1) Boil Water
2)Saywer Mini filter
3)Life straw
4)iodine drops.

boiling water in a metal waterbottle is the easiest imo.

Just remember you want to get it from running water and not still pools or puddles. So rivers are ideal.

also as a last resort, you can just drink water straight up out of a river. If everything goes to shit, anything like beaver fever wont kill you fast enough before you can get home.

Do you have a backpack?
if so what size in Litres?
>>
>>939202
thanks for the info, i looked up the kleen kateens on amazon, going to buy two of those right now actually

No back pack set up yet, but i was thinking of an alice pack

what kind of back packs do you recommend?
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8KB, 195x259px
>>939313
A sawyer squeeze bag and sawyer mini are amazing fwiw.

Alice packs are cheap, but kinda suck. When loaded they carry the weight way too far away from your body. They aren't that comfortable. I've used my buddy's a few times and it's not half as good as my cheap Kelty redwing 50.

Which, coincidentally is a great pack you should look into. The new model isn't cheap yer, the last model is nearly as good and can find much cheaper.
>>
>>939328
cool thanks

ill look into these, and do some more research of course.

you've help'd be me out big time friend
>>
Would I be autistic if I basically camped in someone I knows yard ? They have a few acres and I'm 2spooked to go somewhere more wild and I've never done it before.
>>
>>939389
No. Go do it.
Youll find aint nothing to be scared of if you are prepared.

>>939313
Don't have the most thorough knowledge of packs because i decided to buy a nice expensive pack for myself (its a fjallraven kajka 100L) after using my dads old one for a few years. So if i take care of it it should last me a lifetime.

But like the other anon said Kelty makes good packs to start with, and my hiking buddy uses a kelty redwing and its quite good. Would reccomend them.

Just keep in mind that for an single overnighter a 30L will suffice. But the longer the trip the bigger pack you will need.

Id say a 50-75L is a good range to cover 98% of trips.
Then you might get a separate pack for <day hikes.

You will find your first trip you will ideally overpack then slowly see what works for you and what was dead weight.
>>
>>939389
To add on. Its a great way to practice setting up your tent/tarp and sleep system. So you dont end up fucking around for an hour in the dark
Also OP if you dont have a flashlight get one. Would recommend both a flashlight and a headlamp. Headlamps make pissing in the dark much better. Same with doing anyhting in the dark really.
>>
do not try and consume even purified local stream water, the area has very high levels of heavy metal contamination
>>
>>941209
source?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.