[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult and dangerous is cutting trees with a chainsaw?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

How difficult and dangerous is cutting trees with a chainsaw? I have literally zero experience but there's this job opportunity and they require none, so I can probably get the job if I apply. Also seems like they offer can mean doing properly arborist job in the medium-long term and since there's some anons here that do that for a living I would like very much your advice, thanks.
>>
File: 1465422363878.jpg (172KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1465422363878.jpg
172KB, 683x1024px
bump
>>
>>938427
I did tree work for about 10 years. It can get pretty sketchy at times, but starting out I'm sure they wouldn't expect you to do anything overly difficult with a saw or on the ropes. Expect to spend a lot of time dragging brush.
>>
File: Up.jpg (626KB, 1255x941px) Image search: [Google]
Up.jpg
626KB, 1255x941px
>>938488
Sometimes, it's all or nothing.
>>
File: Down.jpg (664KB, 1255x941px) Image search: [Google]
Down.jpg
664KB, 1255x941px
>>938488
>>938491
This went well.
>>
>>938477
good looking hippie bitch
>>
>>938488
Thanks for the answer, did you ever hurt yourself?
>>
>>938545
Np

Nothing major. Lift properly. Watch your step. Learn proper rope lowering techniques (NEVER wrap a rope around your hand/arm). Use your eye pro, helmet, gloves, etc.. and you should be fine.
>>
File: felling.jpg (910KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
felling.jpg
910KB, 1920x1080px
$$ to be made felling in the sierra for the next few years
>https://vimeo.com/195747919
>>
Ive heard some pretty bad stories from guys I'm in school with now but it was only because they were doing stupid shit
>>
>>938563
That was pretty impressive.

>>938570
Do you work in this field, anon?
>>
File: Russian_model.jpg (247KB, 1280x648px) Image search: [Google]
Russian_model.jpg
247KB, 1280x648px
>>938530
>hippie
>shaves pits and legs
the hottest ones are models dressing up
>>
File: 1476189940916.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1476189940916.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Op here again, are you expected to have your own equipment or the employer is usually the one providing it?

>pic related is not mine
>>
>>938427
It really depends if you're talking about tree-trimming with harnesses and shit or if you're talking about just chopping down trees.
>>
>>938427
>there's this job opportunity and they require none, so I can probably get the job if I apply

wtf i had to bust my ass off to get into the logging community and you just get the job if you apply?
>>
>>939125
That depends on the employer. Most jobs want you to use your own tools for certain things. Other jobs must provide you with stuff due to insurance which you are specially trained for and the equipment is specially inspected.
>>
I cant tell you how many close calls ive seen felling. Almost took a rope to the face the other day pulling a tree over with a tractor. Two carhartts and a rug on top of it did nothing.
>>
>>939404
World ain't fair, pham.
>>
>>938477
>>938631
moar
>>
File: cache_2431031305.png (161KB, 510x398px) Image search: [Google]
cache_2431031305.png
161KB, 510x398px
>>938427
I learned it the pic related way. Though outside of the official license I made I haven't lots of expiriense because I had not much to do.
But in reality many people cut way faster and with bigger event notch or just plain without it and are still alive, so there's that.
>>
>>938427

It's not particularly hard or dangerous unless you are particularly stupid.

I suppose that goes for everything in life.
>>
File: 1465430222771.jpg (991KB, 2560x1714px) Image search: [Google]
1465430222771.jpg
991KB, 2560x1714px
>>939504

>>939523
>>939611
ty
>>
>>938563
Oh man that video. Seriously nice work! Rarely get the opportunity to play with such set ups in the UK. But I'm hoping to head to Sweden for work in the Spring.

>>938427
>require none
Holy shit, tree work is a qualification mine field here. I'm not complaining though as good training helps prevent some of the silly accidents that happen really easily in the arb industry. If you get the job go at it hard but be super wary, too often the ones that get injured or killed are the new ones. Stay safe!
>>
>>939523
why do them western americans use only humboldt undercut even if it is unconvenient and leaves a lot of stump height? I understand it's safer because the tree can't jump back on the stump but they claim it's the cut with less wastage of wood. It's not true because if you do the cut from above you can cut very close to the ground. I use humboldt only on steep terrain where it really minimizes the loss of wood but on flat ground I use conventional
>>
I am not a professional, although I have been paid on a dozen or so times to cut and remove trees, and I do a lot on my own property.

Putting a good chain saw to a tree and making it fall is not difficult. BUT, like anything, there is a lot of skill and technique to doing things right. Good guys, and I am sure there are some here, put the tree right where they want it. Then know how to be aware of stuff coming down from the top, they know how to deal with problem trees, they know how to let the saw work and not just muscle it. They also know how to maintain there equipment, sharpen chains, clean and change filters, etc...

I am not saying don't go for it, just understand that there is more that you might think to being good in the logging woods.
>>
I'd like to know why my saw dies the second I try to cut any wood, I've fucked with everything I can think of
>>
>>941733
What? Does it die under load? What "everything" have you fucked with?
>>
>>941733
Mix up some fresh fuel with a little seafoam, pull on it a couple times to get in in everywhere and let it sit over night. Try in the morning, will ressurect even the most fucked saws.
>>
>>941761

It dies when I pull the throttle or when I set the choke to open, I have to keep it a tad closed. It also sometimes just revs up suddenly to max RPM at idle when I'm not even touching the throttle. This is a practically new saw I bought at a garage sale, I've never used one before so I don't know what to do. I've looked up YouTube vids on carb settings, but nothing had actually fixed these issues

>>941780
I'll give that a go next time
>>
>>938427
I work in forestry but only have a few years experience tipping trees. I find it relatively easy, but it's also easy to fuck up if you haven't got the experience.

Best explanation I ever heard was that it isn't a zero sum game, you can do everything right in your eyes and it can still go wrong.
>>
>>941938
It might be a carb issue, have a mechanic take a look at it
>>
>>939523
Which cut are you supposed to do first?
>>
Get your job yet OP?
>>
>>941533
The main purposes of the Humbolt is for extremely large DBH (like redwood) where the face slice just slides right out instead of pounding and fighting it out. The other main purpose is for logging to reduce wastage. Conventional cuts would mean the log would need to trim the face flat and causing a loss in board footage because stumpage means fuckall. I'm sure a sharp feller can spot opportunities where doing two cuts would be a small gain but often there isn't the luxury of time to do so.
>Shorter logs = smaller loads = less pay = less work
>>
>>942533
Not that guy, but you notch it first, then drive the saw in for the straight cut on the opposite side. Supposed to fall the tree toward the notch then.
>>
File: image.png (393KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
393KB, 800x800px
Normally I file my own chains and it works perfectly but a lot of people come to me for sharpening, mainly homeowners who don't know how to sharpen properly. Ok it's no problem to give couple passes with the file but often these people run their chains until they are so dull they are useless and I don't want to be filing that much so I was thinking of getting a grinder for the messed up chains. Pic related is 30 euro and I, being a poor slav, was thinking it might be a good idea
>>
Chainsaws are one of the most dangerous freehand tools that mankind has ever created. So of course there's a massive element of danger.

How hurt you get will likely be a result of how serious your employer takes training, safety equipment, and work pacing.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.