[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 234352_18567_L2.jpg (50KB, 457x630px) Image search: [Google]
234352_18567_L2.jpg
50KB, 457x630px
I'm updating my bugout bag and am deciding to throw in a gps unit instead of going with maintaining a map set. I'd prefer one that's rechargeable to work with a usb solar bank molle clipped to my bag. Any suggestions? Much thanks in advance.
>>
old android phone with maps.me app
>>
>>938139
I'm running an S5 and am looking into this as well. I just need to free up space to DL all of New England to be used offline.
>>
>>938097
If anything really serious happens, you will regret this decision.
>>
>>938097
If shtf that GPS won't work anyway, if it did you'd be trackable, either way you're Sol on that front bud
>>
>>938167
An EMP or solar flare might knock out the satellites, but in the more likely scenario (total economic and societal collapse due to a Trump presidency) they should keep working for a while.
>>
File: out GPS setup.jpg (300KB, 1500x1377px) Image search: [Google]
out GPS setup.jpg
300KB, 1500x1377px
>>938167
The GPS system is probably the last system to fail, since its mid-level orbit and is used by the military... And even if it did stop getting maintenance, it'd still be reasonably accurate for a few weeks/months.

I bought a colorado a few weeks ago, and loaded some topo maps on it for camping. Good luck finding newer piratable maps, best i could do(as far as legit garmin ones) was 2009. Ibycus also has a map package out but it has not been updated since i think 2004.

As for the unit, dont look for ones that use dedicated rechargeable packs. They will stop holding a charge after a few years. Standard AA will always be available. Id recommend you get the GPSmap 64. It seems to be the most feature rich, modern one, without stupid BS like a touch screen(Not a good thing) or running a bloated OS(android on a dedicated GPS is a horrible idea.)

The etrex(non touch) series is also good. The Etrex 10 is ONLY waypoints(no map) so if thats all you need, it might be good, but at that point you might as well save even more cash and buy a used foretrex 401, which does the same but has the option of using a bunch of military standards.

My setup is pic-related. Use the colorado for maping, and the foretrex for navigating. The colorado has something shitty like 12 hours of battery life. Foretrex has over 20. Both can sync up waypoints and routes between them, and using the foretrex is easier since its screen is far more readable, and its easier to glance at it with it resting on my wrist.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.