[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mt. Whitney

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: mtwhitney.jpg (187KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mtwhitney.jpg
187KB, 640x427px
What can you tell me about Mt. Whitney?

I’m from the Alps and plan to climb some mountains in the USA.. It’d be my first visit there (in late summer or autumn), so nothing too technical for a start.

Mt. Whitney caught my eye, since it’s the highest in contiguous USA, but then I read this:

>Permits are required year round, and to prevent overuse a limited number of permits are issued by the Forest Service between May 1 and November 1.[29] The Forest Service holds an annual lottery for hiking and backpacking permits on the Mount Whitney Trail. Applications are accepted from February 1 through March 15. Any permits left over after the lottery is completed typically go on sale April 1.[30]

What are the chances a foreigner could obtain a permit?
A permit implies that many people desire to climb it, and since the permits are in high demand, it sounds logical to deny foreigners first (?)
>>
It looks like no permit is needed for a winter ascend.

Are there rangers who check who has a permit in the summer season?
>>
>>937080
It's just a walk up. Higher elevation can mess with some people. Drink a lot of water.
>>
>>937080
are you going to hike the trail, or go up one of it's technical routes?

quota period permits are a simple lottery- throw your name in the hat for a date, hope you get picked, residency doesn't enter into it. permits are still required in winter, but are nonquotad. yes, there are rangers who check them peak season.

if you go to whitney in the late spring, summer, or early fall there will always be other people around. it's easily accessible, has the draw of being the highest, and, iirc, every day 100 day permits and 50 overnight permits are allotted.
>>
>>937107
just saw you said "nothing too technical" so i guess the hike. it's 23 miles round trip, with 5500' of elevation gain from the trailhead to the summit. i did it in 14 hours car to car about 10 years ago, but i was hurting at the summit.

fwiw effectively the entire sierra requires permits to overnight from may through octobet, but day trips are unlimited outside the whitney region.
>>
>>937080
Climbing the highest peak anywhere is a sucker bet
Climb the second highest. There will be less people and trash and it will be easier to get a permit
>>
>>937086
You'll fucking die if you go up that mountain in the winter. Google the spontaneous weather around that area and the Donner party.
>>
>>938905
a) the donner party was 220 miles north of whitney
b) modern weather forecasting and hiking equipment is better than it was 170 years ago
c) anon won't be trying to transport his family and all his worldly possesions by wagon train
>>
>>939025
>c) anon won't be trying to transport his family and all his worldly possesions by wagon train
kek
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.