[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/homeless/ general AKA HGT: Homeless General Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 34

File: 20161231_123354.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20161231_123354.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Old thread has exceeded bump limit.

Crusty butthole edition.

Poopin' in bushes and spittin where I sleep!

Pic related. Very lonely snow.
>>
>>936875
Why don't you get a van and gym membership so you can shower like me?
>>
>>936875
Summer come faster plz.
>>
If you live in the outdoors and forage/hunt for food you're a survivalist/outdoorsman.

If you move around and don't have a permanent living place you're a traveler/tourist.

If you live in a fucking tent/dumpster/box in a city you are a homeless fucking bum vagrant trash and probably mentally ill. Get help.
>>
>>936889
What if I'm all three?
>>
>>936891
That's called a "refugee".
>>
I'm about to be homeless, all I'll have is a PT Cruiser and $100. I've got a job at starbucks I'll start next week so I'll have some income with tips. Any advice?
>>
>>936889
Agree
>>
>>936910
Dont freeze to death
>>
>>936910
Find a place to park your car, don't drive it in case it breaks down or some shit. Just sleep in it
>>
>>936920
How would you suggest I do that?
>>936924
I need to work, I'll work at a Starbucks which luckily is right by the mall.
>>
>>936926
Park your car at the mall, sleep in your car.
>>
>>936930
Yeah that's what I was implying

What do you suggest I get food wise? Something that's alright cold, will last twoish weeks. I eat for free in the mornings.
>>
>>936930
Security will probably bust him
>>
>>936910
That's basicaly where I'm at. Get a gym membership so you can shit/shower/shave. Work out if it helps you keep off the booze. Don't waste a lot of money idling your motor, get a good sleeping bag from army surplus. I generally park near the 24 hour gym or at Walmart. Sometimes in a neighborhood where lots of people park on the side of the road. Never park and leave your doors/windows open as it draws attention and sometimes cops. When it gets hot is when the real bitch starts so if you live down south move up north when it's summer time if you can. Also get good pee jugs with a wide mouth if you can find them. A cooler is really handy too and you will likely get free ice from Starbucks.
>>
>>936936
I mostly eat canned beans and chili but bacon lasts a long time if you got a way to cook it. I use a Coleman stove.
>>
>>936910
That hundred needs to be going towards a good enough sleeping bag and whatever you need in order to maintain a level of respectability at your job, so either a gym membership or truckstop showers. Don't spend any of it on food, there are food banks and soup kitchens if you look for them.
>>
>>937038
>there are food banks and soup kitchens if you look for them.
Food stamps
Food stamps
Food stamps
>>
So many people are about to be homeless.
>>
>>936940
Especially in a PT Cruiser. When I see those I automatically assume it's a degenerate up to no good.
>>
>>936930
Walmart is 24 7 365. Is good parking.
>>
Im a young male, about to be 20. Tried half a semester of community college, then said fuck that, left. I have 0 debt, still live with parents which I am grateful for what they provide. I work around 35 to 40 hours a week, easy shill low level $9 an hour job. As of the past month I decided im thru hiking the Appalachian. Already have all the gear, just have to work 2 more months and have around $1000 for food. After I plan on coming back home settling with a job but then in 2018 I want to get a pack together and enough cushion money to wing it and take on the road. The great american foot traveler. Please give me advice. Im thinking I may just thru hike more trails out west but once I turn 21 I want to leave home and never have to come back.(only for visits once in awhile.) How easy is it to get under the table jobs? this would be my main concern, finding work under the table since ill have no address. thanks lads!
>>
>>936875
so homeless anons, I'm trying to understand where a good spot to sleep might be. Just going off this picture, would you sleep there? What would make it worth sleeping in pic related/what would immediately make you not want to sleep there?
>>
>>937150
Craigslist
>>
>>937150
Are you gonna road walk or hitchhike? Also you never know what could happen on the trail, your plans could easily change.
>>
>>937157
I would hitchhike most likely. And what do you mean by plans changing on the trail?
>>
>>937159
Opportunities pop up and you learn new things which may change whatever path you think you're gonna take

You might meet someone connected in the pot industry. You might end up suck trap cock. Who knows
>>
>>937152
Under bridges, overpasses that you have to work to reach (blocked in by roadway that's active)
Clearings within wooded areas not visible from road and not between anything people will desire path walk to. Not near any schools or high activity areas.
In the open or on park benches you'll just get abused. Abandonment s are full of teenage drinkers and crackheads hanging out and the bad sorts of homeless. If it's anywhere near a shelter or an obvious spot you can see from a main street it's gonna have retards.

Hope u are helped
>>
>>937152
If you are on foot, like anon earlier said. Sometimes back alleys are good for a quick nap especially if you can scale a roof. If you are in a car you should do like so or at a truck stop. Oh and shelters are good and always available but they usually have a cut off check in time like 8pm. They feed you though and you get a shower and laundry.
>>936942
>>
>>937150
Just rent a mailbox that isn't a PO box or go to a homeless shelter that offers mail service. You can use those as your address and even get an ID and vote with them. If it interests you (this interests me,) there is a way you can get a new identity based on publicly available death records.
>>
>>937159
a bear could fuck you up
>>
>>937269
>there is a way you can get a new identity based on publicly available death records.
I'm not the person you were replying to, but I am interested anon.

Go on, please.
>>
>>937269
That doesn't work anymore.
If a person is dead, it will say so in the [redacted] dokument.
>>
>>936875
You should all kill yourselves. Tired of seeing you disgusting wannabe humans on the street corner asking for gibs me dats like a bunch of Chicago porch gorillas.

Please die. Lay down on the train tracks. Do it.
>>
>>937159
>>937150
Lol.

You're gonna fucking die kid or get turned out NY some gay pimp who kidnaps you hitch hiking.

Better get a fucking gun.

Good luck on the Appalachian trail man.

Go to a trade school out west. Learn to hike. Get a job. Save up 15k to 20k and do it in style.
>>
So much salt in these threads lately. Having a mortgage must really turn people into bitter assholes.
>>
>>937362
So does having teeth and a bed to sleep in.
>>
>>937362
There is always salt. It isnt even that bad in here yet.
>>
Should I carry lock picks if I plan to do some squatting?
>>
>>937936
I legitimately hope you get shot.
>>
>>937948
crowbar it is then
>>
>>937936
No. I had to reread that. You legitimately plan on breaking the law and trespass?
>>
>>937999
I plan on squatting, which is trespassing by nature. My question is should I pick the locks, force the doors or windows, or simply avoid locked building in general?

Do you have an alternative way to squat that I haven't heard of that avoids trespassing? If you do, please tell me how. It'd make things much easier I'm sure.
>>
>>938003
You might want to check your local laws first. I mean, obviously you know you're breaking the law, the question becomes 'which ones'? My concern would be that you'd get charged with breaking and entering or destruction of property and can be forcibly removed from the site, which would drop your hold on the squat. Keep in mind also that in order to hold a squat in most places, there has to be someone there at all times.

Honestly, I don't see the point. Cities tend to be dangerous places to sleep, I avoid them whenever possible.
>>
>>936889
Man, it's always the same old story in the end. If you don't mind just chilling out, you're a horrible person. Guess it all goes back to how society conditions people to believe that if you aren't doing /something/, you're bad. Well, that never worked on me. Mentally ill? I just don't get bothered by living differently. If that's an illness, I'll live as a sick man. I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>938064
That's one of the first things cultists lead their followers to believe once they're brainwashed, that anyone who doesn't do things they way that you're being told to do them is wrong.

For most homeless people, that's their only crime, that they didn't allow themselves to be brainwashed.
>>
>>938058
not only that but having lock picking tools on you is illegal in a lot of places
>>
>>937936
>>938003

Damn you're stupid.
>>
>>938069
First paragraph is correct. Second is not. Most homeless mentally ill and not homeless by choice.
>>
Holy fuckballs people.

Yes anon take lockpicks. Also talk to the locals. Squats full of punks are a lot more fun than empty shitty buildings.
>>
>>938200
haha bums blasted
>>
>>938142
I bet you worry about pocket knives too
>>
The amount of normies lurking this thread just to shitpost really makes you think. I love how you all waste time attempting to shit talk people who you dont actually give a fuck about. What do you gain from this shit? Nothing except getting your neckbeard jollies. Hate what you see in that mirror? Hate your job or lackthereof? Mommy made you do some chores? Better get on /out/ and shit it up. Life affirming af aint it ya miserable faggots
>>
>>937936
I cant pick a lock quickly but i do have some mini bolt cutters that i pack around. Theyve been really handy a few times.
>>
>>938242
>he thinks I have to have a bad day to shit on homeless people

Haha
>>
>>938242
wow, really got my noggin joggin
>>
>>938242
There are the regular baiters as 4chan is expected to have, but there are also many people who genuinely hate people for sleeping outside. Look, society came up with shit like curfews many centuries ago, it's been long ingrained into people's minds that not living like everyone else = being a bad person. In the minds of those brainwashed by society, a life not spent in service to society is a personal attack on every single normalfag and "functional member of society" in existence. By their own definition, not being able to function in society like everyone else, or choosing not to, is being mentally ill. People have too long and too thoroughly been brainwashed to invert their worldview. Only a small number of the already small percent of people who had abnormal or different childhoods, can ever see through the brainwashing. It's pretty much necessary for someone to have not followed the same path as everyone else from the start, so social outcasts people who were bullied, or people who never integrated into the social network, are the kinds of people who can see through it. Of course this conveniently gives them a basis upon which to claim that people who see society as messed up are like that because they themselves are deranged, messed up, or are a case of sour grapes. Thus they can continue to convince themselves and each other that anyone who would choose to live differently must be mentally ill or in some way damaged so as to invalidate their personal preference of not living like everyone else.
>>
>>938281
>implying this is the only thread you shitpost in
>>
>>936930
not a good idea at all. Mall security will probably hassle him once regular customers begin to notice a homeless guy iss living in the parking lot
>>
>>937136
Jobs are scarce these days and it's only getting worse. Expect these threads to get pretty active soon.
>the unemployed for six months and still can't get hired any where
if I don't find someplace quick, I'll be joining you guys soon
>>
>>937159
>hitchhiking
ignore this anons post
>>
>>938312
Yeah, bang up job you did on that one you poor simple fuck
>>
>>938312
Salt in your mouth pussy? Jealous im not even 20 years old and have $0 debt to anyone? Im happy, find your own happiness, i suggest jesus as well >anon
>>
>>938340
you also have 0 liquidity and 0 assets, and no quality job to change this

take it easy tough guy
>>
>>938341
Anon pls. I have around 15k in liquifiable assets and consitently make $15-30 an hour. I have skills, money, stability, all the cool shit i ever wanted and i do it all for free and whenever i want. I built more than almost every single one of my peers and i did it on the street over the last 5 years.

>inb4 wheres your retirement, 3 story house, boat, condo, 3 brand new cars etc.

Shitpost or not no one should believe faggots like this. Being homeless means the world is open to you, you have every chance to do anything you could ever want to do. There is nothing holding you back.
>>
>>938340
you talk like a fag and your shits fucked
>>
>>938312
>>938321
>>938340
have fun getting raped/murderered
>>
>>938321
>>938340
What
>>938379
says

If you hitchhike in America you will fucking die. You will be raped, sodomized, probably tortured, then killed, then raped again, then thrown in a shallow ditch. This is fucking America, you'd be safer hitchhiking in god damned egypt I mean think for a minute kids. Only hitchhike in America if you have a gun and are sure you can kill the other person before your shit gets fucked up.
>>
>>938362
>15k in assets
>no house

Uh, you don't really have shit in terms of wealth.

>world is open to the homeless
Can't be a nuclear researcher if you're homeless. Harder to be part of a tight knit social group if you're homeless. Lots of things are limited if you're homeless, some thing are expanded. Stop making a LIFESTYLE out to be so freeing when its really the INDIVIDUAL which makes life freeing.
>>
>>938305
I've been living in a van since my wife left me and took my son over a year ago. I'll help out with tips where I can. My long term goal is to get a better job and save up to buy a trailer with cash.
>>
>>938428
Oh and I spent a summer hitch hiking and bumming around when I was a kid so I'm kind of knowledgeable on that as well. I thought it would be fun but it turns out I can't stand begging.
>>
>>938390
I spend probably 2k in a year. I have plenty of wealth. It is definitely the individual who makes life freeing for themselves, which is why im here to tell people all you know nothing shitposters are just that.

There are serious pros to this life which far outweigh whatever bullshit con you sit there and dream up for us. You just dont know shit my man, lurk moar.
>>
>>938446
Get a fucking job you loser. You are a waste of life and a waste to society. Unless you are making me and my tribe money you are trash and deserve to die, you fucking gentile.
>>
>>938428
Your wife sounds like a bitch. Are you a douche or is she a bitch?

What kind of van you got? If you didnt like begging why didnt you try something else i.e. ranch work, street performance, dishwashing? Do you still travel in your van? Did you even do any serious traveling when you hitched or was it more localized? If you stay in the same place, why? Did you fuck your life up or were you just looking for a good time?
>>
>>938448
Chill my nigga i pay sales tax on 40s and ice cream sandwiches
>>
>>938449
Getting a little personal there but I'll answer some of these
>are you a douche or is she a bitch?
A little from column A and a little from column B
>when you hitched did you travel a lot?
Yes
>if you didn't like begging
I would work under the table but that gets sketch sometimes too
>are you traveling in your van?
No, I'm working and paying it off. I plan to get into a better job like I've had before that involves traveling and per diem.
>>
on the subject of jobs and homelessness/travelling. How do you, after lets say a few years, get back on the job market and explain to employers about the missing 3 years period you took off for travelling? do you make some bollocks up about volunteering at some camp? Just curious i might come to that situation one day.
>>
>>938446
>shitposting to say that there are serious cons to being a homeless vagabond
>shitposting to say that 15k isn't jack in terms of wealth when you'll need quite a bit more if you ever wanna stop living in a van with no shower
>>
Why does vagabonding make some people so salty? You're far less of a drain on the system than even a full time worker. An entire persons worth of housing, electricity, job, and space, is freed up. Normalfags should be glad when homeless people fend for themselves instead of asking for charity money. What gives? And most homeless people on out have already worked to earn the money to pay for their own shit, how the hell could that make anyone mad? I'm not asking people to be really excited about it, I just can't see why they'd really care. If someone is keeping themself alive by their own resources and effort, why would other people complain? It doesn't add up.
>>
>>938287
>implying it would need to be
>>
>>936875
Any hobos here that use technology less than once per week? Anything with electricity
>>
>>936875
Biostew is coming after you.
>>
>>938485
Youre grasping at straws anon
>>
>>938501
Theyre just shitposting
>>
>>938284
You're thinking in absolutes.
Not everyone is brainwashed, and most homeless are infact mentally ill or just plain retarded. Sometimes the illness is the cause of their homelessness, and sometimes just a symptom.

Most of the "brainwashed" don't actually hate the homeless either -
they pity them because they think their 9 to 5 life is superior.
Because how can you be happy without a job or a place to call home, right?

The ones who hate the homeless usually do it because they see them as parasites that only take from society but contribute nothing.

Then you have the handful that are jealous of hoboing. The troll in these threads is one of them.
>>
>>938548
And you're a pathetic piece of shit, die.
>>938558
No one is jealous of you schizophrenic bums you fucking psycho. You are human shit.
>>
>>938200
Eh, there really aren't any studies done, and even if there were the results would be schewed; there must be some percentage of people who choose to be homeless that claim a disability that they don't have in order to generate income.

I'm one of the ones who chooses. I don't enjoy working the same job every day, so it was just a gradual move from trying to cut back bills so I could afford time between jobs until I eventually realized that I didn't need to have bills at all.
>>
Nice to see these threads still up. I haven't been to /out/ in a while. Last year I went from homeless to shitty job to even shitier job to horrible pit of depression to homeless again to my dream job making $17/hr. Its been wild, but these threads are where I got started on 4 chan. There are things I miss about it, and there are things I don't, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Hang in there and stay away from the hard stuff.
>>
File: 62404407.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
62404407.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>938564
Freedom is what you want it to be, and you want to live in a box. Who's the one with brain damage here.
>>
>>938565
There are studies but they are collected at missions and shelters. There is no way to account for the vagabond portion of the homeless.
>>
>>938566
>hangInThereKitty.jpg
Did you just post this on 4chan? I swear to god this is a first for me.
>>
>>938564
>No one is jealous of you schizophrenic bums you fucking psycho. You are human shit.

I'm not actually a bum though, and have no desire to be either. My family owns seceral succesful developments.
I just hang out here for reasons.

Nice to see you finally admitting to being the troll though.
>>
>>938613
That's a good point. Aside from the recklessness of sleeping in places where my safety may come into question and a general apathy toward commercialism, I feel that I'm well on the side of sane. There wouldn't be an opportunity to get someone such as myself involved in such studies, given that I don't use shelters, nor do I have any sort of criminal record; effectively, aside from the fact that I haven't filed taxes in the last five years, I'm completely off the radar.
>>
>>938564
I truly feel sorry for you. There's obviously a lot of stress in your life, probably too many bills, crippling debt, the dawning realization that you're 'just not management material'. I hope your life improves. You have my pity, Anon.
>>
>>938703
>lol I feel so sorry for wagecucks
>it doesn't matter what you say i'll just continue to run in logical circles and be intellectually dishonest
>I just love being a marginal person who lives in poverty and social exclusion soOoOooo much

please kill yourself
>>
>>938706
>>it doesn't matter what you say i'll just continue to run in logical circles and be intellectually dishonest

4reel anon did u rly just fkn say that
>>
>>938683
If you are worried about safety just get a black dog. Itll bled in to the night and bark at anything that wanta to hurt you
>>
So what is the process for finding a place to sleep?
>>
>>938808
I'm not worried. I probably should be, but I don't prioritize self-preservation over personal experience; If it's more exciting, sure it's worth the risk!

>>938706
>logical circles and intellectually dishonest

The fact that you mindlessly repeat arguments you've heard in the past instead of thinking for yourself is the reason we're not seeing eye to eye in the first place. Come up with something that actually applicable next time, hmm?

>being a marginal person who lives in poverty
Not even close :)
>>
>>938916
You shouldnt be worried as long as you have common sense.
>>
>>938904
>can people see me if i lay here
>is there any foot traffic close enough my dog will bark at them

If both answers are no, i sleep there.
>>
>>938916
>Not even close :)

Sure thing anon ;-)
>>
>>939012
Poverty is subjective. I have everything I want or need. I don't get envious of people who have more than I do, because I wouldn't want the burden of carrying anything else around or the responsibility of maintaining it. I have little, but I want for nothing.

It's you that's impoverished, because you'll never be able to afford everything you want, there's always going to be something you can't have.
>>
>>939024
>inb4 somebody calls him out for "talking nonsense"
What he means is, he isn't wanting of anything, and people who are wanting of things are impoverished. So, despite his possessions being few, he is content with them and does not worry about whether or not he can maintain his belongings. Many far richer in quantity are still much worse off, and simply being able to live in a bigger cardboard box than someone else is not that great. At the end of the day, poverty is determined by whether you are positive or negative relative to zero, assuming zero is the point where you can be content. If one man is content with a bike, a tent, and food and water, and has it, he is better off than a man working 9-5 who owns a large apartment and has a working car, but craves for a house, a bigger car, and more free time. Whether one is more civilized than the other is irrelevant.
>>
>>939031
>simply being able to live in a bigger cardboard box than someone else is not that great
I like this!
>>
>>939024
The secret to having everything you want is to want only what you have.
>>
>>936881
How you pay for car insurance and inspections if you homeless
>>
>>939490
Car insurance?
Inspections?
Whats that stuff?

Shiet, I try to not pay for gas
>>
>>939490
Those patacitic scum are why I am forced to carry uninsured motorist coverage.

Skipping over the obvious...

The problem with the advocate of the "van life" shill in all these threads is a lack of vocation.

Else, you would not be fearing pending Trump unemployment. Thete will be MORE jobs for people with skills. (Esp with the deployment of 5G network)

And more jerbs for people without skills when we run out the illegals.

Things are looking up!
>>
When Trump kicks out all the beaners then hobos will be in style again because they'll need migrant workers.

Our original profession is back boys! Lets ride those rails!
>>
File: 1475513550858.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1475513550858.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>939490
I pay for it all panhandling and busking. Its pretty god damn lucrative to be homeless anon. I have a few monthly bills, along with needing guitar strings, oil changes and shit. Its never been a problem to pay it all.

I wonder why everyone seems to think bums have no cash. Ive never had as much money as this. Traveling and busking shits on every job i ever had before. Its nowhere near uncommon for me to come out of a weekend of busking with a few hundred dollars.
>>
>>939505
But I don't want to work. I want to live a life where my only master is myself, and my only goal is that set by myself. I won't travel to work, I'll travel to see things that interest me.
>>
>>939678
I wish I had a skill like that. No one drops money in a hat to watch someone troubleshoot software compatibility issues.
>>
>>939678
>I pay for it all panhandling and busking
LOSER
PARASITE
STUPID IDIOT DOESNT SEE THAT HES A WEAK MAN, NOT A TRUE GREAT MAN
SOCRATES, NIETCHZE, EINSTIEN ROLLING OVER IN THEIR GRAVES
>>
>>939950
>b-but busking isn't parasitism, anon!
THEY GIVE YOU MONEY OUT OF PITY
>>
>>939950
>>939953
Since you don't have the personal experience to know any better, I'll explain it to you. You can tell by looking someone in the eyes if they're acting from pity or from gratitude. Some people will give to a busker out of pity, but they usually don't give very much anyway. The majority of what a busker makes is from people that genuinely enjoy the experience of someone breaking up the monotony of what would otherwise just be another day walking to work.

Also, give your caps lock key a quick tap so you stop looking like a pissy little bitch. Thanks!
>>
>>939959
Get a job.
>>
>>939963
I don't need one, I don't have any bills to pay.
>>
>>939965
>I don't need to actually be useful in life, because other people support me out of pity
>>
>>939965
>I don't need to have money for a house or belongings in the future
>>
>>939967
No one else supports me, I work when I need money. I just need it a lot less than you do.

Why would I care if other people think I'm useful? I don't intend on being used.
>>
>>939971
The future is now. Why wait to retire until you're too old to enjoy it, if you can do more when you're young?
>>
>>939963
When I was younger, my mother told me that I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. I told her that I wanted to be retired and travel like my grandparents. I'm actually living my childhood fantasy. What about you, Anon? What would "little you" think about where you ended up in life?
>>
Ok so I'm not going to be homeless but I thought this would be the best place to ask. I'm going to university soon and will literally have £1-2 per week to spend on food after all other expenses. Obviously that will be going on cheap staples like bread/rice/pasta/etc but it won't be anywhere near enough. How can I get more food without resorting to crime?
>>
>>940455
Foodstamps, they'll probably give you a bunch because your a student. Peanut butter, bananas and bread make a nice sandwich snack that leaves you feeling full on the cheap too btw
>>
>>940455
you can loot food from behind restaurants and stores. they throw out tons of food that didn't sell, usually like, fruits and veggies that didn't look pretty enough, or things that are 0.001 seconds past their expiry date. or pizzas that didn't get picked up.
>>
>>940455
Bean dip peanut butter chips bread and honey
>>
>>936875
Does anybody else carry a firearm while homeless?
>>
>>940717
Only you fbi
>>
>>940717
I have a .22lr marlin rifle.
>>
I’m technically homeless, living in my truck in a rock climbing town. Physically/materially it’s easy. I have a sleeping bag, propane heater (careful with the CO poisoning), 4WD. Mentally, it’s hard always being on the go, thinking about where to park, and not having any space to invite friends over. I don’t have any friends either though.
>>
>>940455
oatmeal and peanut butter make a good and cheap combo, coming from a fellow uni student on a budget.
>>
>>940962
Hot oatmeal with peanut butter in it.
Oven-toasted oats tossed with hot peanut butter and then tossed in powdered sugar.
Peanut butter cookies with oatmeal.

What else can be made with mostly this?
>>
I dont have a tent hobobros. I'm currently in a pretty arid climate but it sometimes rains pretty hard. What can I do to make a ghetto ultralight tarp? Or what kinda tarp can I buy cheap that weighs like 1 pound after being setup? I have 65$ on backcountry.com
>>
>>939950

Probably rolling over in their graves when they see your gay ass too.
>>
>>939971

Bus bum is living his dreams. He's following his heart and balls and is doing some thing your nigger ass will never have the courage to do (Not be homeless part, but to follow what ever cock sucking dream your gay ass has) better to live a short life doing what makes you happy, then to live a long life of shit.
>>
>>939967
jobful=/=useful

i would say the vast majority of jobs do not produce a service or product that has indisputable value to all people. to me personally the job paradigm does create lots of waste, inefficiency, pollution, unhealthiness, etc, etc, etc

i simply choose not to support and maintain an unhealthy system via non-participation. ill protest as long as i can and participate in behavior that is productive for myself and others without fallout.
>>
>>939967
I only need to be useful to myself, the rest of the world can go fuck itself. Hate that mindset and wish I would get killed right now? Too bad, that's not going to happen. Suck it faggot. I'll stop living for myself when I die.
>>
>>939678
Personally, I think van life and hoboing and all that fine.

But I'd never beg for money. I never give to beggars either.
>>
Any tips to keep foxes/rodents from detecting and ingesting packets of bacon and such things? I was thinking as long as it isn't open then a few bin liners should leave theme nonethewiser. Living innacity innabush just bought a gas stove eating out is too expensive n shit.
>>
>>942061
Keep them in a fridge/feeezer. Rodents cant open it.
>>
>>942073

That would attract other bums and also involves procuring and transporting a fridge. Nonetheless a good train of thought that you are on. Some kind of box, genius.
>>
>>942061
Bear bag
>>
>>941756
Tyvek is cheap or free. Dollarstore tablecloths also provide a modicum of waterproofing and may be easier to source than tyvek this time of year.
>>
>>942061
If you eat peanut butter, you could try using the jars as miniature "bear" canisters. Should be adequate to keep out rodents.

Alternatively, you can buy PVC pipe and caps in a wide range of sizes.

In either case, you can buy or make a gasket, fasten a cord to it and throw it into creek as a way to keep food cold.
>>
For anyone hungry or needing supplies, learn to dumpsterdive, it's not "eating a half-eaten hamburger out of the garbage" meme people think it is. Stores throw away boxes of unopened foods with bags, packaging, boxes, rarely is it like household trash with rotten shit. I did it for years despite not being homeless because it lowered my grocery bills immensely and I ended up eating a lot better because of the fresh foods I found. Also dumpster diving doesn't just have to be for food, CVS, Walgreens, Harbour Freight, ACE Hardware, Dollar General, these places have resources you can use for yourself or even sell on craigslist/ebay for some money if needed. Medicine from CVS/Walgreens was a lifesaver for instance.

Just make sure you're legal and don't cause problems for the property owners, check local laws,don't leave shit everywhere, cleanup the area if it's messy even if you didn't do it, otherwise you might find a lock and a security guard next time.

http://reddit.com/r/dumpsterdiving

Also the end of semesters at colleges tend to be goldmines, students go home and can't take some stuff with them so they trash it, I've found laptops, TVs, microwaves, furniture.
>>
>>
>>
>>942161
I used to work at WM. It wasn't uncommon to throw away an entire case of beer because it got dropped and one can burst.
>>
Dumpster diving is great, but there are quite a few areas I've been to with trash compactors at all the good places, is there any alternative other than leaving the city?
>>
>>942212
yeah, walmart is pretty bad, it's especially shitty they use compactors

>>942215
if it's just compactors you're pretty much out of luck, just keep looking, go behind strip malls, Aldi/trader joes, small grocery stores. If you really don't have a single place, which honestly I've never seen before even in small towns, you might have to settle for food pantries.

http://www.foodpantries.org/

Also look for non-store dumpsters, like businesses, apartment complexes, colleges, industry parks. These tend to be riskier because of security guards at times, also possible hazards in the bins, but you're more likely to find electronics and other stuff.
>>
File: IMG_1776.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1776.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Dumpstering college towns in the area of the dorms is the best way to find "stuff" if you're looking for random cool shit. Appliances, clothes, furniture, pantry food items. When people move they often throw out all the food in the pantry regardless of if it's good or not.

Anywhere that makes food every day like a convenience store or starbucks probably throws the unsold and soon to be expired food out at the end of the day.

Personally, dispensary dumpsters have been surprisingly fruitful. Picture related from a few years ago. Pulled several ounces of solid bud out of this place's dumpster over the course of two months before they became more efficient and stopped tossing so much. We made the trim into BHO.
>>
>>942161
Can confirm. I live near a university, and every spring and winter semester it pays to hit up the dumpsters. I've found cases of mac n cheese and working microwave ovens. Even found a small fridge once that probably still worked but there was no way I was going to get it home on my bike.
>>
I know this thread is nearly dead, but if anyone is still here, what do you do all day?

I am homeless now, but I am not sure what to do with all of my extra time.
>>
>>942480

That is nothing but shit trimmings. Shit, not any good sugar leaves either.
>>
>>944169
Spange, busk, get drunk, hang out with people, travel, hike, camp, get drunk more, smoke weed etc.
>>
>>942480
damn you're pathetic as fuck bro. Is it so hard to just get a job and buy bud then...
>>
>>944186
oh god please no don't give me free trim oh god aggghhhhh im so pathetic for making bomb edibles out of this free weed i found in the trash aaaahhhhhhh
>>
>>938362
What do you do for work bus anon?
>>
>>944169
study shit, read, educate yourself, learn how to do things, watch khan academy, youtube how to channels, read ebooks.
>>
>>938449

Not the first guy, but how is it that you lost all custody of your son? Were you a drunk/addict? I'm legitimately curious as I'm thinking about divorcing my bitch wife but the last thing I want is to lose my son.
>>
Shit

>>944634 Is meant for >>938461
>>
>>944624
Not bad things at all, but it seems like a lot of sitting around wherever there is wifi.

I thought the point of making homelessness a lifestyle choice is that it affords you new opportunities.

That said, I guess it varies from person to person.
>>
>>944552
I play music or panhandle. About 80/20.

>>944684
Traveling homeless and stationary homeless are two very different things. Many stationary homeless people are going to be doing the same shit they'd do if they had a house. There's not really any way around that, i mean they're just sitting around the same city forever what the fuck else can they do.

That's why we push traveling, it's the life. I can be out in any wilderness, in any city, anywhere in the country whenever I want. That's where the opportunities come from.
>>
>>939024
>>939031

So, essentially, ignorance is bliss.

Not that I'm criticizing this way of life, it certainly seems....comfy. But at the same time I can't see myself being "happy" by narrowing my existence down to living in a car/yet and barely eking out a life. You're always a bad illness/accident/robbery or any other unfortunate event away from being flat broke and destitute.
>>
>>944814
Also dont forget you cant enjoy taking a shit in a place with heating
The internet is too slow to use
Youre forced to interact with others just to get certain very basic things done
You get to listen to truckers get into drunken fights at 3 a.m.
You get to always wonder if your bus is being stripped clean of everything any time you're more than 400 yards from it
If you don't have a really strong talent this life is very hard and lonely
>>
>>944820

Excellent point. Hell the simple fact that if you wake up at 2 am with a bad case of the runs you can't just scoot 15 feet to your toilet. You're either running to the entrance of that 24 hour Wal-Mart, hoping you don't shit your pants in the process, or you're squatting right outside your car.

Having dealt with a number of "homeless by choice" people, including my brother, I've learned that with a few exceptions most of these people are the kind that are willing to trade away basic comforts and security for the future so they don't have to face any responsibilities. Again, I'm not saying that isn't a way to live, but the people that try to romanticize it like they're some sort of wandering sage living an honest and simple life are usually just deluding themselves.
>>
>>944837
Wew

All these hot opinions. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>944841
As a person with depression I back up what >>944837 said. The only times I've ever considered being homeless was when I was depressed and afraid to face my life. When being covered in fleas seems better than answering a phone at your job. However, clearly, that's the mental illness talking and a really dumb choice.
>>
>>944186
>working a job and paying for pot when you smoke all day every day

Do you even stoner, faggot?
>>
>>944841

I know it sounds harsh, but that really isn't my intent. I'm just speaking from personal observation as well as from discussions I've had with people that prefer to live in a car and unplug from society.

To a man, each one wasn't doing what they do in order to live a simple and fulfilling life. They were all running away from something; be it a failed marriage, an inability to hold a steady job (my brother was this one), or they just don't like the idea of having so many responsibilities.

I'm really not trying to denigrate people that choose to live like this, but I do think everyone should see this life for what it really is.

And again, I fully accept that there are guys out there living the dream, traveling from place to place living off their wits and charms and are truly happy with what they have. I just think those types are the exceptions, not the rule.
>>
>>944844
Wow, its almost like there's different strokes for different folks. The only time I feel depressed is when I'm trapped in an unfulfilling situation; like when I work a tedious job that doesn't further my skills or network, a job that's essentially a middle man for my comfort. Why not just recognize what my comfort zone is and love that? Why not do what I love that also makes me comfortable?

>>944837
>mfw some flappy windbag who hasn't been off his porch starts flappin his yap about how he's been around the block
An uncomfortable shit? Cry more my dude
>>
>>944891

>implying

But hey, if it makes you feel better to marginalize the messenger instead of challenging the message, who am I to deny you your ad hominems?
>>
>>944820

>Also dont forget you cant enjoy taking a shit in a place with heating

Speak for yourself pleb

>The internet is too slow to use

What? Do you even /out/?

>Youre forced to interact with others just to get certain very basic things done

You know that how? Because you thought real hard about it?

>You get to listen to truckers get into drunken fights at 3 a.m.

Nothing wrong with this

>You get to always wonder if your bus is being stripped clean of everything any time you're more than 400 yards from it

Nope

>If you don't have a really strong talent this life is very hard and lonely

Not at all

Wrong on all counts anon. But don't take my word for it, burn everything you own and stick your thumb out. Live a little.
>>
>>944837
>Hell the simple fact that if you wake up at 2 am with a bad case of the runs you can't just scoot 15 feet to your toilet.

Have you ever been fucking camping anon jesus why do you just assume everyone is sleeping in parking lots

>but the people that try to romanticize it like they're some sort of wandering sage living an honest and simple life are usually just deluding themselves.

>I haven't met or spent time with anyone who did it right therefore everyone who lives this way without exception is a self deluding irresponsible pants shitter
>>
>>944844
I don't get the way you think. There's nothing depressing about being homeless. You don't get covered in fleas by living outside. The job, the phone, the monotony are the depressing things.
>>
>>944886
>To a man, each one wasn't doing what they do in order to live a simple and fulfilling life. They were all running away from something; be it a failed marriage, an inability to hold a steady job (my brother was this one), or they just don't like the idea of having so many responsibilities.

Running or trying endlessly to fix broken shitty lives. Everyone with issues has to work through them, the path they take through their own shit is going to determine their success be it at a job or scuttling into walmart at 4am to take a shit. It's all personal. I have met FAR more people on the road who love their lives than folks sitting around wageslaving. I've met countless old rich dudes who throw money at me like it's nothing who tell me they wish they had done more when they could. Their friends are dying, kids are long gone, they sit around with all their money and lament. Many of these people are the ones who the /out/ community would think have it made. The ones who have the money and gear to go on the expeditions and to the resorts, but not the knees and backs.

There are far more broke ass people traveling around loving nature and themselves than you know. That's why you see us pushing this life. That's why you don't see normies coming in here knowing what they're talking about. You wouldn't meet us, you'd never what we do unless we came here to the chan and told your ass. For the people who see no end to the boring bullshit, this can be the life they always wanted. We aren't role players, lying about how much money and good times we have on the road. We aren't romanticizing shit. This is my life, and it's fuckin amazing. You wanna sit around and do your best to believe otherwise you go right ahead, but others listen and they are why i post this shit. For the anons who turn their lives into something they love thanks to these threads.

We aren't the bums you've met before.
>>
>>942161
>learn to dumpsterdive

in my eurocountry it's basically impossible because either store workers sell stuff on ebay instead of dumping it (quite illegal but happens everywhere), or store owners destroy it (or simply grab it). The next-to-expiry-date stuff gets directly grabbed by charities, who run their own storage sites.

From time to time you may happen to get some working TVs, microwaves, furniture, books, but only happens when someone is moving and you happen to be on-site before gypsies rob/destroy everything in sight.

A while ago my family moved, leaving in the recycle box quite a lot of old stuff. I got sure it was in order and not too visible. Gypsies came in minutes before the usual trashcan guys, spread out every single box contents, only grabbed shoes and electrical cords. Trashcan guys are still swearing today, because those fuckin' gypsies are literally untouchable.
>>
>>944969
is it true you can beat them with a pole
>>
>>944814
I would agree that ignorance is bliss, though perhaps not the way that you intentioned; There was once a time that I worked two full-time jobs, had a nice place to live and a nice car, plenty of... well, everything. I was happier then than I ever had been previously, but one day something 'clicked' and I realized that I could be happier still, if I didn't measure my happiness against my possessions but rather my free time. Once that realization was confirmed, I couldn't be happy with a library of video games and a fridge full of beer, because I valued my time more than I valued the possessions that I got by trading that time away. You see, the ignorant are the ones that have only ever tried to live life one way; I rather, know what both ways of life are like, and I made an informed decision to live the life I chose.

Maybe, just maybe... You might find the same thing about yourself if you were to take a few months off of work and try it. Living without responsibility is just that; there is no lease or contract or obligation to continue traveling. You can always go back to work if that's the decision that you choose to make.

I do have one marked advantage over most 'homeless' people. As a vet, I have resources such as healthcare available without having to maintain insurance. Otherwise, broke is rarely a problem. When you have no living expenses, it takes very little money to make ends meets. While I personally don't beg, I could live easily for a month off of what most spangers make in a day.

Ultimately, it all comes down to one simple question: How can you be sure that you're on the right path if you've never looked at where any other path may lead you?
>>
>>944814
Work seasonal jobs, keep your money in a bank and live in a country with healthcare ya dip. Resorts and orchards hire out the ass in the right seasons and with no rent you have enough cash to enjoy yourself. Work two months, wander two. Or work more, you profit either way.
>>
I only do it because I find the 9-5 desk job, the 2 hour commute, the boring suburban life that we're all expected to live horribly boring.
>>
>>945358
Pretty much. And look, being homeless is what you make of it. If you're someone who has never been more than a few seconds away from heating, comfy beds, running water, and a secure building, and go in without any training, you're gonna have a bad time, and yeah it's not going to be a romantic adventure. But if you've spent a lot of time outdoors, specifically camping for long stretches, hunting, or just practicing survival skills, and you enjoy doing that, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make a good time out of it. I suppose naysayers just can't comprehend enjoying that lifestyle themselves, or are more likely trolling. It takes a little more than a fucking idiot to make homelessness enjoyable, but not that much more. If you don't enjoy it, chances are you just don't like living without first world luxury. Which is totally fine, but don't be retarded and assume no one in the world can enjoy life outside the box literally.
>>
>>945621
No, we're making fun of you because you are a drain on society. Many of you in these threads have admitted to panhandling and shit... Get a job.
>>
File: 1451080836229.png (1B, 486x500px)
1451080836229.png
1B, 486x500px
>>945623
>hurr, just a get a job, it's that simple

only someone who hasn't actually been homeless, without resources, or worked with the homeless says shit like this unironically.
>>
>>938362
I always see the same 3 grimy hippy bus posts being re-circulated. How about a new one with a timestamp you roleplaying faggot?

If not I'm just going to assume you are a big fat liar, and we al know what happens to them
>>
>>945629
Probably the same shit that happens to spergs who use images with tumblr filenames
I've met busanon, blew up the engine in his bus last June and left him in Nebraska like a dick, but I had somewhere to be.

>roleplaying
You're so naive it's almost cute. I went to Tucson for the gem show this last week, saw hundreds of people who stop in Tucson that are doing what busanon is doing. Hundreds of busses, RVs, cars and backpackers-not counting rainbow kids, not counting festie kids; travelers and nomads who are just living an alternative lifestyle - many with kids.

There's thousands of us here in the US despite you probably having never met any of us. That you don't even believe that we do this without being shitass bums shows just how poor your understanding of the whole thing really is.
>>
>>945623
I don't give a shit if I'm a drain on society, I live for myself. I'm a lazy, selfish asshole and I don't care to join the workforce. No thanks faggot. And anyway, I'm not a drain on anything society makes. Oh wow, I bet you guys really lament the loss of leftovers and trash, that must be why you were throwing it into the fucking garbage. Look, I don't steal anything that anybody else actually still cares about. And if society is set up in a way that people can live in it without contributing to it, you can bet your ass I'll take advantage of it. If you really cared you'd do something about it. Besides, I'm not indebted to society for anything in particular. I don't owe it my entire life, that's mine to have and mine to use. You should have aborted me when you had the chance if you thought otherwise. But that's not my problem anymore. And statistically one homeless person is less of a drain on society than people working 9-5 because that's an entire persons worth of housing, wages, water, electricity, gas, cars, and whatever else. Homeless people are a minor part of society and barely any drain at all. And if you consider me not working and making society work better as a drain, tough luck pal. It's my life and I'll do what I want with it. If I decide working isn't my thing, I'll act on that. That's what's going to happen, and if that makes me the scum of society and a waste of oxygen, oh well. I'll just waste oxygen then.
>>
>>945647
Most homeless are shit ass bums tho.

Those people you see at gem and mineral show have jobs and kids and cars and car payments.
They still think your a fucking waste, but w/e they will rip your uneducated ass of with some pretty stones.
>>
File: IMG_2592.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_2592.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>945665
>can't be both rock peddler and nomad
You got comprehension problems m8
>implying I don't know my stones or don't work for/with those people you're thinking of
Wew lad. I'm the reason this Indian Jeweler who visits Tucson every year changed his incorrect label on a quartz inclusion, mind you he has a Jewelry company in India and had it mislabeled for years while selling facets and cabochons of it. What do you know about crystals and stones fuccboi? Sounds like you're talking out your ass again on a topic you know nothing about.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1B, 486x500px)
giphy.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>945647
Oh yah sure, rocks and shit! Festival kids! So many travelers! Amazing! You are the best at living, THE BEST!

I see no picture of you Filthy oogle ass bus (oh totally left it in the desert! Its like, so there but i dont have any pictures!) so I'm just going to assume you are full of shit.
>>
File: IMG_2629.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_2629.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>945728
>implying I'm busanon
Reading isn't your strong point, is it?
>>
File: 1477457277355.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1477457277355.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>945728
Do you have high blood pressure?
>>
/r9k/ says there are homeless people with gfs. Is there truth to this?
>>
>>945700
>Rockhiunding
>Hard

Please keep your delusions of grandeur to yourself.
>>
>>945843
I wonder if it's possible for you to make a single post that doesn't expose how little you know about whatever you're trying to talk about. You're clearly out of your element and yet you continue to talk as if you're some expert. How's college going?
>>
>>945869 #
Where ya at? Im heading to wilcox az for rainbow, taking some greenhorns. At a Loves in Texas right now getting drunk in the tall grass before i go to sleep. Starting the rennovations on the bus at the end of the month. Shits been real chill around OK.

>i bet busanon doesnt have a bus

You got me. This other asshole blew up the engine, so i scrapped it. Naaaaaaaht

Fresh bus pics will be had soon for anyone who gives a shit. I have some vintage ones from when i got it that i found on an old external too.

Also to whoever emailed me about coming to Tulsa then totally flaked fuckin get at me
>>
>>945815
yeah but aids
>>
>>945869
>Rockhounding
>Hard

But in reality I'm a loser who receives disability, I'm just here for some of the easiest (you)s on this website.

Hope you have a good life.
>>
>>945910
Ily
>>
>>945647
Truth. I follow a lot of nomad blogs and youtube channels because I'm planning on going full time myself. I originally came to /out to see if anyone here followed that shit too because goddamn, some of these nomads have more drama than cosplayers.
You do the gem shows in Quartzite too?
>>
How do you cook while homeless? Do you ever lit campfires?
>>
>>945967
I just stock up on cliff bars before I hit the road :^)
>>
>>945882
Just left the desert Sunday, back in California now. Probably should have stayed considering the weather here in CA and I had a four day pass for gem and jam kicked down, but whatever. Kicked the pass down to some momma and got the fuck out.

The first day of the fest, the girl who I caught a ride with and who's car I stashed my shit in ended up going to the hospital at like 1 or 2 in the morning and left her car locked at the festival with my shit inside. You know that iconic picture of the dude crouched down in the fetal position with a sombrero and a poncho? That was me sub sombrero at 4, 5 and 6 AM on Saturday morning. Chilly as fuck.

>>945957
I went to Quartzite the last two years but skipped it this year, beyond stopping for a few minutes while passing through.
>>
File: 1362699396664.png (19KB, 291x317px) Image search: [Google]
1362699396664.png
19KB, 291x317px
Do hobos hitchhike or just walk everywhere? No car here
>>
>>937356
Seconding trade school. Make yourself readily employable and handy, so you can easily find a job if/when you don't beat the trail. Also you'll meet all sorts at a trade school, it's a great experience.
>>
>>946338
>all sorts
I love my classes to be full of court ordered 'students'
>>
>>946285
some bike
>>
>>946285
Hitch hiking is called that because you walk a lot.
>>
>>945967
I personally keep both an alcohol stove for quick, reliable smokeless cooking and a simple burn-barrel type wood stove to save on alcohol costs when applicable. Most of my food can be cooked by just boiling water (oatmeal and instant soups are super easy in disposable cups). I eat a lot of fresh fruit because I pick some up whenever I go shopping, which is at least every second or third day, which obviously doesn't require cooking, and if I know I'll be between places for a while I'll stock up on cheese and summer sausage, which is really light and can be eaten cold. Whenever possible, I try to catch fish and pick berries; nothing's better than a flame-smoked trout... except a free flame-smoked trout.

If you're tight on cash, one of those super tiny olive tins and a thirty oz tomato tin (and a punch can opener for $1) are all you need to make my cook kit, just flip through some residential recycling bins after 10am on trash day. For fuel, you can either get a quart of denatured alcohol in the paint section for about $8 or 12oz of yellow HEET for $3 in automotive (same stuff, you just have to choose between either economy or weight).
>>
this is really stupid and I know I'm stupid for asking it

Where is the best place to be in the US if I want to be homeless and live /out/, IE in the wilderness or at the least away from as many people as possible?
>>
>>948056

>this is really stupid

Alaska. Because land is free and you get all your supplies paid for with your annual oil dividend
>>
>>948056
>best place to be homeless in the US?
Everywhere. Not anywhere, mind you, but everywhere. Go to towns when you need to make cash and resupply, spend the rest of your time hopping from one section of public land to the next, traveling with the seasons.
>>
>>948056
Washington state by far.
>>
>>948318
Our winters get pretty cold, which wouldn't be too bad if you want to pay for showers, but there's no way that I'd want to clean up in any of the lakes or rivers up here in the winter. Summers are nice, we're pretty cool about bums, but definitely go south for winter.
>>
>>948325
It's pretty easy to find somewhere to stay in the winter up there, but yes go south. Slabs in the winter, Washington in the summer if you wanna keep the traveling to a minimum.
>>
>>948327
I personally haven't been, but it doesn't seem like a very clean place. That said, I would like to meet more people who just "get it" and don't either fawn over the lifestyle or look at me like some sort of parasite.

I'm so ready for working season to be over.
>>
File: 1356984145245.jpg (6KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1356984145245.jpg
6KB, 184x184px
>Be depressed for a majority of my life
>The Idea of being homeless sounds strangely alluring

Not sure why, but I often dream about aimlessly traveling around. Concerning myself with the immediacy of my basic needs instead of the responsibilities of normal life.
>>
>>948335
Your whole life, you've been told what you're supposed to want, you've probably even tried really hard to get it, but it's never made you happy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to try something else.
>>
>>948335
There are people that thrive in structured environments and those people feel safe and secure when they have a stable home and family. There are also people who thrive is chaotic environments and those people feel safe and secure when they don't have the burden of a mortgage or extra mouths to feed.

Life isn't about doing what makes other people think you're successful, it's about doing what makes you feel that you're successful. If you measure that success by the places you've been, the people you've met and the experiences you've had, you'll be far more successful as a traveler than you would be as a drone.
>>
>>948331
They make the trash piles on purpose to keep normies out. Most peoples slabs are pretty tidy
>>
>>948344
Interesting. I'll definitely check it out, I should have gone last year while I was down there, but I got a job offer that was worth taking some time off to do. Is there still channel access or do they keep that pretty tight?
>>
>>948335
Don't do it, Anon! You'll be much happier paying to watch fake people live fake lives from the safely of your couch than you ever could be if you actually did things yourself! Just watch My Side of the Mountain and Robinson Crusoe until this reckless fantasy goes away and you realize that having money to spend is the only thing worth doing.

>people actually believe this
>>
Anyone experienced with temporary work or migrant work that would give some advice?

Is there a particular industry that is best for this sort of thing? I'm sure construction and veggie picking would be a good place to start, but there must be other industries where this would be applicable, no?
>>
So, I'm not homeless or anywhere close to being homeless but I am curious about how you can stretch the little money you have as far as you do, basically I want to live as cheaply as possible for a couple of years to pay off my debts and build up some savings.

So what strategies do you guys use to stretch the money?
>>
>>940936
How you posting?
>>
>>950076
I did rental painting for a while. There's also usually temp employment centers in most cities. Busking is a fair way to make scratch if you have any sort of entertainment skill. Spanging should be a last resort, as it gives the whole community a bad name, but if you have to, you have to.

>>950500
Not him, but most people use free WiFi. $50/mo for a cell plan isn't going to break the bank for most homeless people, either.
>>
>>950085
Don't spend it on anything.

That probably sounded sarcastic, but I was being serious. That's the one major advantage to being homeless, you don't have a mortgage to pay, you also typically don't have a cable bill, heating bill, electric bill, many of us don't have car payments... Hell, the only thing I actually pay for is food and occasionally replacing some clothing.

What do you pay for? I can almost guarantee that I can tell you a cheaper way to get it.
>>
>>950561
What comes to mind for payments:

Phone
Utilities
Motorcycle insurance + gas (summer)
Bus passes (winter)
Netflix
Rent
Gym membership
Food
Internet

I don't really have too much in the way of bills and I only really buy stuff when I need to, so I'm curious if there's anything obvious that I'm missing that I could be doing.
>>
>>950604
I feel like this could be a good question to ask /biz/

>Phone
Google voice can cut down on some costs.
>Utilities
It seems an odd question given the context of the thread. Try using less. Take baths instead of showers, keep it colder in winter and warmer in summer, unplug things when you aren't using them.
>Insurance and gas
Don't drive as much. Also, fill up the tank more often, but keep a smaller amount in the tank at any given time. The less weight the better fuel efficiency. Alternatively, just ride a bike when you can.
>Bus passes
I'm afraid I can't help.
>Netflix
Piracy. I've been using popcorn time and pirate bay lately but there are obviously more sites.
>Rent
Again, strange question in a homelessness thread. Move somewhere cheaper, I suppose.
>Gym membership
I'm not well versed enough in fitness or gyms to help.
>Food
Dumpster dive, forage, whitebox, eat less.
>Internet
Go somewhere with free wifi. An alternative would be using a wok-fi or cantenna to pick up a signal at a distance, and a program like Cain and Able to bruteforce it.

Make sure to budget.
>>
>>950613
Yeah I guess the initial answer of homeless people not really having any expenses other than food probably answered my question the best for stretching the money. Thanks.
>>
>>950604
>Phone
I use Google Voice. Completely free and unlimited, does still require internet (which is also potentially free).
>Utilities
IF you drop the mortgage, not an issue; if you keep the mortgage there's a few tricks to using less, but you still probably couldn't cut it by more than 50%
>Motorcycle insurance + gas (summer)
I wouldn't think that it would be expensive enough to warrant getting rid of it, but the only thing cheaper would be a moped.
>Bus passes (winter)
Totally warranted.
>Netflix
If you don't pay for cable, totally warranted; if you do pay for cable, stop paying for cable.
>Rent
This is your big one. Depending on location, you might actually be able to drop the rent completely and just shower at the gym.
>Gym membership
If you're keeping the rental, drop the gym.
>Food
Since you're asking this, you probably make so little you qualify for food stamps. Use it, trust me, it exists for people that need it.
>Internet
You're probably better off losing the internet completely, since it's a total timesuck and you'll be happier without it, but if you're like me and can't help yourself, a directional antenna might be able to hit a nearby WiFi spot.

>>950613
So I wanted to make my suggestions before I read this so I wasn't influenced by it... All in all pretty good advice, I hadn't considered piracy, which is odd, since I used to be a major advocate.
>>
>>950626
Believe it or not I'm actually just looking for a way to be able to pay off my student and medical debt in a hurry and I don't mind making some sacrifices to do it, I'm actually making more than $50k/year. I just figured this would be a good place for advice on how to live cheaply based on what I had read earlier in the thread. I've got about $45k of debt to pay off so if I can get it taken care of in 2 years or less that would change my world.
>>
>>950632
Well, even when I was working regularly and renting a place, driving a car and spending recklessly... damn my life has changed a lot in the last few years... My expenses were never more than the $1,600/mo I was making, working part-time. Realistically, there's no reason why your bills should be too much higher unless your rent is a loft in NYC. You should be able to pay it off in about a year if you're willing to make sacrifices from just the one year to get it out of the way. The big one for me was fast food, once I cut that out of my life and started cooking real food, life got much more affordable (and now I spend less than $50/mo, lol).
>>
>>938003
Here in the UK you can get away with squatting as long it isn't a residential building and you don't force entry. Once in you can attach a notice to the door then the authorises can't just turf you out.
If you want to squat don't force entry.
>>
>>940455
>£
Are you in the UK? You know you can get a large amount of money from the government.
>>
I've been told not to sleep in cities when traveling while homeless, but where else am I to sleep?
>>
>>950819
Sleep wherever no one can see you
>>
If I'm car camping where should I fill up my water? It's winter so outdoor pipes are shut off and I don't want to buy a new gallon Everytime
>>
>>936875
Please. I make 60k a year and i shit outside too...
>>
>>936910
Gym.

If get free coffee get 1 and a bro and sell half price
>>
>>937038
Bonus tip for u truckstop fags. Showers are 10 bucks and truckers build a surplus in fuel reward points. Just walk into the drivers lounge and holler anyone wanna sell a shower for $5. 90% of the time the'll take $5 and you take their card to the counter and check in for shower.
>>
>>937344
Mfw nobody mentions sleeping on the train while travel until u tell them lay on it.

They walk it and inspect it before they take off. And youll likely wanna bail if they slow down in a large town or have a lot of supplies. They park on the bumfuck middle of nowhere sometimes.
>>
>>937362
Oh it does. I wake up and wanna light a match daily
>>
File: 1487070021515.jpg (7KB, 200x217px) Image search: [Google]
1487070021515.jpg
7KB, 200x217px
>>938362
>>
>>938390
>asset
>personal residence that doesnt pay u.

Choose
>>
>>938428
Buy a camper first. Then borrow against it for a trailer. Fix triler with camper tied in yard.

Rent camper to bro.
>>
>>941762
Bus soooo much better than shitty camper. Seriously considering bus build even as a wagecuck. Never been truly homeless. But close. Got homeless bros. People can be pricks. I would take a few hundred bucks sometimes and a sleeping bag and just go hang with honeless bros and buy us shit sometimes.
>>
>>944169
Beg? Hunt? Fish? Work?
>>
>>945882
I'm 1.5 hours away. Would totaly have a beer with ubif i wasnt affrad of getting stabbed. Know some junk yards if u need parts tho.
>>
>>938564
I think you're projecting your violently delusional worldview. Praise be unto kek.
>>
File: 20170212_202725.jpg (1MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170212_202725.jpg
1MB, 4032x2268px
How do I find squats in the UK?

Ideally make my own.

How do you get electricity in them?
>>
File: 1486368273502.jpg (216KB, 456x807px) Image search: [Google]
1486368273502.jpg
216KB, 456x807px
>>950916
If i stab you the cops will take my cool knife. Youre not worth it anon.
>>
File: Notice.jpg (626KB, 1026x729px) Image search: [Google]
Notice.jpg
626KB, 1026x729px
>>951618
Finding established squats just requires hanging out in the sorts of places squatters do, but not all of them are cliched crusties so it can be hard to spot them...

If you want to start you own squat then you want to avoid residential buildings as they changed the law. DON'T force entry, scout out a property that you can get into without cutting padlocks, picking locks, smashing windows etc. It's worth it to take some time over it. Stick pic related on the door and make sure there is always someone in the squat. After that you're in till the law can get some real muscle in. For extra points squat an old police station.
>>
>>951681
>For extra points squat an old police station
not gonna lie turning a iron bar jail cell into a neet cave sounds cozy
>>
>>950856
Sawyer water filter, $20 bucks, be sure the stream is free from chemicals. It should take care of anything biological
>>
>>950856
everywhere has a sink dude
>>
sent a kid on the road today. first hitch ever some tiny indian trucker. 1,500 mile ride.
>>
Just finished school but I want to get to enjoy life, explore, and have some fun for a little while. How could I live as a nomad for a while or something? I feel like camping out somewhere with a buddy or two with a lot of supplies for a month or a couple of weeks at least.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170212-093839.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170212-093839.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Anyone here abusing the free McDick's via the survey code on the receipt?

Also I'm chilling here in Sandy Eggo, leaving in a few weeks to go to the Northeast, if anyone wants to meet up along the way I'm down. I'm hoping to hop a train or two on the way back, maybe the sunset line outta Colton.
>>
How long do you travelbums usually stay in one place?
>>
>>952954
Usually no more than a day or two in a city or town, unless i run into other kids. When i'm innawoods i'll stay for as long as possible, months. Right now i've been posted up in Oklahoma all winter to work on my bus, it's the longest i've stayed anywhere in 5 years, but i've been taking trips and shit while being here too.
>>
>>938303
depends on the sort of mall. we have loads of outdoor malls (just really large shopping centers) and no mall security, so i could get away with it any time.
>>
>>937048
It isn't the same as food stamps. What's your problem?
>>
>>952965
What kinda work? A steady job or little work here and there?
>>
>>939678
Ok anon, I have to ask; can you put a value on that number?

My friend and her sister once saved up enough money busking to go to the states (we aren't American) but that was something like 14 months of work every day after school, and they're both attractive females.
>>
Thx for being such easy targets, even some of you think you're tough too. It's hilarious. Cigarette and Mcdonald food brained idiots. I offer a small amount of weed, and then I splatter them.

-Serial killer
>>
File: Be a Dave.jpg (53KB, 569x768px) Image search: [Google]
Be a Dave.jpg
53KB, 569x768px
Thanks to a series of events, I may find myself homeless very soon.

All I have is my car, my desktop, clothes, blankets and 2 rifles and I won't have a steady source of income until around May.

Anyone here have any tips for living in a car and not getting tickets or arrested?

pic unrelated
>>
>>937356
>15-20k for the AT
you can do it in style for $6000
>>
>>953733
Start here. It says rv living, but a lot of people on the forums live out of their car or van. Lot of good info.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/
>>
>>938617
remember de-motivators? Parodies of actual pictures used to motivate office cucks. Now being used for inironic motivation by a former bum.
I guess what goes around is around.
>>
>>953211
To do work on the bus, i.e. replace floor, add battery bank, build bunks, etc. I don't have a job.

>>953307
I'm talking like i'll come out of a weekend with at least 2-300 bucks, 6-800 on the high end and anywhere in between. That's solely the busking, not touching panhandling which can make over 100 bucks a day all by itself. I don't usually bank up that much if i don't need it, i'll stay out for 3-4 hours as opposed to all day long.
>>
>>953754
I think he means do it by Uber rides
>>
>>953836
How do I get car insurance with no address?
>>
>>936940

Sleep at a Walmart parking lot.

They won't kick you out.
>>
>>938064
dude aggressively panhandling by day and getting high however you can by night is not "just chilling out". if your a stationary homeless person i a city youre either a piece of shit, mentally ill, or both.
>>
>>954464
There's a few ways that you can go about 'getting an address'. Ordered from most legal to least legal:
1) Find someone that will accept mail for you
2) Rent a mailbox with a low box number
3) Buy a postcard and ask the postoffice to stamp it for you, then write in the address of a vacant lot
4) Have mail sent to a vacant house/apartment with accessible (not locked) mailboxes
5) Find discarded mail, put an address sticker with desired info over the previous recipient's address.

The first two will pass a background check, the rest you'd only want to use for things that aren't important enough to get verified.
>>
>>955108
wtf anon

>receive mail at a drop in
>receive mail at a salvation army
>receive mail at a church/mission
>receive mail at a shelter

all ways to legitimately "get an address" and you don't have to do fucking anything except go in and sign the mail registry so they know not to just throw your shit out.
>>
Looking for someone to travel with
I am 23, in Kingman Arizona
I am a exceptional panhandler and good at odd-jobs/manual labor.
I just have a backpack with tent and a small dog.
I enjoy philosophical conversations and listening to Terence McKenna
I do smoke weed.
I don't use meth or heroin
I might take the occasional mushroom if the opportunity arises.
>>
>>936889
Wagecucks mad
>>
>>936942
How do you get in that position? No family? Would you do sexual things for a roof?
>>
>>938284
Do you take handouts, charity or benefits of some kind? If yes then you are using society and your claim to be separate from society is bs. I dont hate homeless people at all but imagine if everyone had your attitude and didn't work. We would all starve. I hope you get a job and have a somewhat normal life.
>>
>>944941
You're hypocritical. You are denigrating someone who works for a living, producing for society, yet you condemn people who judge you.
>>
>>958857
Judge me? You mean endlessly shipost against me?
I dont denigrate any wagecuck/normie. Different strokes faggot.
>>
>>958849
Not everyone should have this attitude and no one is saying that at all.
>>
>>956854
Hitch to Tulsa OK if you want something to do for a bit. Working on my school bus here.
>>
>>958869
If the shit posts hurt then it has struck a nerve within you. Maybe being a vagrant works for you now, but what happens when you get older? It's not healthy. You see a stray animal and they aren't in a healthy state on the street. It's exactly the same with people. Most of the reasons you give to support your life style seem like clutching at straws. At least work awhile and save for a caravan or motorhome. Then you can travel and do odd jobs or busk. You will be happier in the long run with some place to call your own.
>>
>>959105
I'm curious who you think you're talking to. I have traveled 5 years on foot and innavehicle. I currently live in a school bus and I play music for money. The reasons I give for my lifestyle? Loving life and doing whatever you want when you want to do it is clutching at straws?
I think you may be confused anon, come get drunk and live on my bus for a while.
>>
>>956003
That kind of all falls under the category of "someone that will accept mail for you". I was offering other alternatives.
>>
>>936875
Ya know, when it's fun and on purpose, we call it being "homefree".
>>
I know this just something I'd pick up on over time, but is there a time of year, day, or day of the week that people seem more or less likely to pick you up hitchhiking?
>>
>>959488
That was a bit too general, let me narrow it down. Is there a day of the week where people seem more likely to pick you up?
>>
>>959496
Weekends. Hanging out at a truck stop bothering truckers is weekdays, on ramps on the weekends. Unless you dont care about meeting normies, then just trucker it up all the time. Hitching is really easy.
>>
File: WIN_20170228_15_33_15_Pro.jpg (53KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170228_15_33_15_Pro.jpg
53KB, 640x360px
fellow hitcher here, been hitching for the last 10 years.
>>
I like riding a bike around, is it worth picking up a foldable bike and carrying it around when I need to hitchhike or should I just stick with hitchhiking only?
>>
Mentally ill white male here

Double jointed, which makes extended physical strain painful. However I'm willing to ignore the pain and walk 20 miles with 40lbs if needed.

Have anxiety and depression, often become paranoid to the point one may believe I'm schizophrenic.

I'm going to be homeless very soon, as my GF is tired of attempting to make me functional.

I'm trying to warm up to the idea of panhandling, as I'm not musical, but also not social enough to have even a temporary job.

How do you folks get from place to place, and how to you provide yourself with money?

Is it dignified? Can you be happy? Should I just kill myself?
>>
>>959748
(N)

>>959821
folding bike may be cool.

>>959856
>get place to place
walk, hitch, bike, ride trains

>money
panhandle, perform, sell drugs, etc.

>dignified
is your life unimportant enough to let some made up shit stop you from you living it? no? good then who the fuck cares

>can you be happy
i can be, you'll have to work that out for yourself. if you don't let anything hold you back you can have whatever you want from the road.

>an hero
definitely be a bum first, if you fail at that then you may be good and fucked. lurking these threads will get you everything you need to know.
>>
Whats the longest time you've been stranded in a town? Not decided to stay for a bit, but been actively trying to hitch out of every day with no luck?
>>
>>960275
3 days outside of Limon CO. Did nothing but sit at the ramp and slept right beside it in the tall grass.
>>
I wonder how many of the "about to be homeless" guys in these threads actually became homeless, im betting on none of them
>>
Do you think a sleeping bag is necessary when homeless or would a few blankets and emergency blankets do good in your tent
>>
>>961343
If its any kind of cold youll want a bag. Unless youd rather pack around 3x the space for blankets that still wont keep you as warm. If its over 50 though blankets are fine.
>>
>>939950
>NIETCHZE ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE
>>
If you came into 15000 dollars and you wanted to continue staying homeless, what would you invest in?
Car? Tent? Camping gear?
>>
>>961790
15k is nothing, and none of what you suggest is an investment as they all depreciate in value. Might as well get a cheap piece of land so you don't get arrested
landcentury com/under-1000-land-deals
>>
>>961790
personally maybe an acre or 2 and move my trailer onto it
>>
>>961790
I'd get a car first. Then work some. Then get land and park your car on it.

A car is like a mini piece of moveable land
>>
>>961800
People who bitch about that usage of the word investment need to google the definition
>>
>>961829
What are you implying?
>>
>>938558
>Most of the "brainwashed" don't actually hate the homeless either -
>they pity them because they think their 9 to 5 life is superior.

are you seeing some of the violent binaries that are entrenched in the general liberal world view then
>>
>>961790
15k would last me 7-8 years.
>>
>>961866
You live off $156 a month?
>>
>>961912
Average around $120.
>>
>>961914
Do you live in Africa? How is that possible?
>>
>>962067
Im fuckin homeless man i eat and do pretty much everything for free. Only reason i use that much money is my cell phone and insurance.
>>
>>950604
>>950626
>netflix
>not installing Kodi on an amazon firestick

you done fucked up already lads.
>>
>>936936
Lunch Meat and Bread wont let you down.
>>
File: 1996 izuzu elf.jpg (90KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1996 izuzu elf.jpg
90KB, 800x600px
>>961800
how viable would it be to buy one those pieces of land and just live in an RV there
>>
File: Pyramid.png (966KB, 1094x517px) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid.png
966KB, 1094x517px
What's a good way to get free shoes? It's easily my biggest expenditure.

feel free to steal pic, it's OC
>>
>>963852
But the pyramids were done by contractors, not slave labor. It was money then and money now. The difference is that large buildings are cheaper.

2/10 for making me respond
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.