[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sequoia and Yosemite hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: sentineldome-key.jpg (68KB, 690x394px) Image search: [Google]
sentineldome-key.jpg
68KB, 690x394px
Hello

End of february and beginning of march im going to be in US and I would like to go hiking in Yosemites and in the Sequoia national park.

Currently my plan is to start from San Fransisco and drive to Reno. Spend a couple of nights there and continue my ride to the Yosemites. In Yosemites I'll be hiking around for 3-4 days and after that I'll continue to the Sequaoia National park. In the Sequoias I'll have time for hiking around 3 days. After that I'll go back to San Fransisco and fly back to Europe.

So I have a couple of questions for you local guys

1 - Whats the temperature at end of february and beginning of march in Yosemites?
2 - Is staying in a tent ok or should I look for cabins?
3 - What are some cool trails that I should take.
>>
I was in Yosemite a few years ago around mid march and it snowed for a few days straight, with all the rain California is getting this winter I wouldnt be surprised if Yosemite and sequoia got snow during your visit

For that reason I would maybe look for a cabin, but if you're a man you can tent it

Yosemite falls is probably the best day hike to do in Yosemite, Nevada falls is nice but if it is cold and snowy you'll have to take this back route, which is fun but a bitch in its own right
>>
>>936599
Parts of Yosemite have had over 20 feet of snow in the past month. Unless there's a freak heat wave the majority of the roads and trails will be closed until around the end of May.
>>
cold and wet. and hwy 120 from 395 over tioga pass and through tuolumne is closed 'til late may, so don't plan to come in from the east unless you like backcountry skiing
>>
>>936719
this
listen to this guy
follow reports
>>
Thanks for the fast reply's. So I really should start to think of a new route. Any suggestions what to do where to go.

Some background info. We are travelling in a group of four. Most of us are experienced hikers/trekkers. Last year the top of mount Kazbegi and before that the Pamirs
>>
>>936749
just go staight from sf instead of reno and be prepared to camp in the snow. campsites are still open, road into the valley is still open, and glacier point road is plowed as far as badger pass. all the trails are still open, backcountry is open, it'll all just be snowy. you can rent xc skiing gear at badger pass. skip sequioa (possibly inaccesible, anyways; fewer resources are used to keep it open in the winter than yosemite) and enjoy yosemite with 80% fewer people than how most people see it.
>>
just to give you an idea of what you're in for, yosemute webcams (note the high sierra and merced river ones are not current): https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

though a stretch of warmer weather can raise the snowline to 6-7000' pretty quickly
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.