[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emergency Shelter Options

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: iu-5.jpg (293KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
iu-5.jpg
293KB, 1920x1080px
I'm reorganizing my hunting/hiking daypack, and I'm considering emergency shelter options. So far, I have a grommeted poncho, a grommeted thermal blanket, and a self-inflating seating pad.

If I'm forced to spend the night out, my plan is to use the blanket as a shelter/ fire reflector, use the poncho as a ground cloth, and sit or lay on the seating pad to insulate me from the ground. I'm also planning to add some 55-gallon drum lines that I can use as browse and emergency sleeping bags.

Snow is rare here and it rarely gets even into the 20s. Is this setup sufficient to keep me alive, or do I need to add an SOL emergency bivvy? I'm using an ILBE assault pack with a hydration bladder, so space is at a premium.
>>
File: Week Bag.jpg (76KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
Week Bag.jpg
76KB, 512x341px
>>936109
SOL's emergency bivvy is garbage. It will not only reflect the fire's heat AWAY from you, but it doesn't breathe, so you'll wake up drenched. Using their Escape bivvy will fix the condensation issue, but you'll still have some problems with reflectivity.

A much better solution, especially since you're not planning on carrying a ground pad, would be to build a trench fire as soon as you know you'll be stuck, bury it when you're ready to crash out and just sleep directly on top of that, using the poncho as a groundcloth and the blanket as a blanket or a low A-frame. The ground will stay warm all night.

Or do pic related and not worry about having to set anything up.
>>
>>936245
What am I looking at there?
>>
File: IMG_20170117_201636.jpg (889KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_201636.jpg
889KB, 1120x1680px
>>936331
A 2L Camekbak, dirtybag+filter, PVC fishing spindle+tackle, 2K calories worth of MRE PB and a bedroll consisting of CCF pad, SOL Escape bivvy, Thermolite Extreme liner and a cut of PVC tarp as a ground pad. Basically, enough gear to last you for months if you can fish and forage.
>>
Use a daypack that uses closed cell foam as part of the frame. You can use the foam as a ground pad in an emergency. Having an insulated pad should be a priority over a 'ground cloth'.
>>
File: A1u2HRwUfwL._SL1500_.jpg (535KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
A1u2HRwUfwL._SL1500_.jpg
535KB, 1500x997px
I recommend something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JFW6BY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008JFW6BY&linkId=a5addd6b4b920fe0cf79ccf7513034a8
>>
>>936670
Tents are comfort items. OP was requesting gear strictly for emergency use. He needs a pad and something that repels water.
>>
>>936109
Why don't you just learn how to survive with nothing but a ferro rod?

Then you'll carry less because you'll learn that it hardly takes much energy to build a raised bed that will be 10 times as comfy as what you're thinking of, will cost nothing, and won't have to be carried around all day.

Tarp for shelter, thermal blanket if you want, build a raised bed.

Just learn the way of the road, boys. The way of the road.
>>
>>937078
How is "the way of the road" staying in the same place every night? The rest of us don't want to build a new raised bed every day.
>>
>>936387
Pretty comfy setup. How low have you gone temp-wise and still been warm with that sleep system?
>>
>>938370
40F is comfy in shorts, I've done under 30F with polypro thermals, right next to a snow bank. Not bad for a paper-thin sleeping bag, right?

I need to add snare wire to that kit, too. The PB wasn't originally just for backup afterall.
>>
>>938692
That's not bad at all. Might be something I look into for Spring/Summer trips.
>>
>>938939
I don't remember what thread it was, but I was suggesting this same setup as part of a modular system as well. A light sleeping bag between the liner and bivvy can be as warm or warmer than some very high-end bags. The liner improves the bag rating by about 30F and the bivvy reflects about 90% of the thermal radiation back at you. I tried this with a 5F bag once and was uncomfortably hot after just a couple minutes.
>>
>>938993
cont.
Until I get a chance to actually test it out, I don't want to recommend it here, but I've been thinking that even a fleece liner with this would be adequate in the winter.

For anyone wondering how this works:

There's three ways the body can lose heat: Conductive (like a heat sink or wet clothing), convective (cooler air moving around you), and radiation (yeah, your skin actually produces invisible waves of light!).
The Thermolite liner is a hollow core fibre, that traps conductive heat against your skin.
The SOL escape bivvy is a two part material; the aluminiumized layer reflects infrared radiation and the Tyvek layer eliminates convective air exchange from outside the bag.
The frequency length of infrared ration (heat) is about 1mm, so as long as you have at least 1mm of insulation between you and the aluminiumized material, it will reflect the radiant heat back in the same way that a mirror reflects light. By sheer coincidence, the Thermolite liners are about 1mm thick. And since Tyvek is a porous material with holes large enough for water vapor to pass through but too small for liquid water to pass through under the force of cohesion, you stay dry whether you're sweating balls in the desert or getting pummeled with raindrops the size of golfballs.
>>
File: super-shelter-frame.jpg (104KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
super-shelter-frame.jpg
104KB, 576x384px
>>937348
It takes 10 minutes and its super comfy

You need:
1 fist thick tree
1 or 2 trees half that diameter
~10 Willow branches or just regular sticks if not available

You can even do it with no equipment at all, no saw, no knoife. The design just changes ever so slightly.

bing bang boom ur done my dude

Plus I find it just extra reassuring and comfy that I'm up off the ground like in a proper bed at home. Its what you're used to and feels right.
>>
>>941179
I'm actually used to sleeping on a 1/4 inch thick CCF pad and get back-aches when I sleep on a padded mattress, but I'm only "home" two months out of the year.

10 minutes seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but maybe you've got resources available that I'd have to look for. Anyway, you do you, man. Seems like a waste of good time and firewood to me though.
>>
>>941253
Well to each his own, you're right. There's no one and only 'correct' way to do this outdoors stuff.

Maybe 15 minutes. When you've built a hundred of them, you get pretty quick.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.