[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favourite alcohol stove design? Which one would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: images (2).jpg (9KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
9KB, 443x332px
What is your favourite alcohol stove design? Which one would you take hiking with you?
>>
>>936068
I have a roll-top Sprite bottle burner. It's sturdy enough to stand on and simpler in design than most of the rest. I'm not a huge fan of the fact that the flames are mostly around the outside though, and I'd never use anything like OP's pic that requires an additional stand. Probably the best design I've ever seen is by far the simplest, the SuperCat. SuperCat burns on the inside of the container, so it blocks wind, heats the center of your pot instead of the sides, while acting as it's own stand, is the lightest of any of the stoves. It also doesn't have any special mechanisms, so if it bends it can be bent back, and there's nothing to get clogged. Even with all of that in mind, most people won't use a SuperCat, because a 75 cent tin can with holes in it doesn't look cool enough for them.
>>
>>936068
I have used a trangia which is nice and light weight.
>>
>>936247
I use a supercat, my fav multi day cook stove
>>
>>936438
What kind of cook kit do you use? I'm thinking about switching to the $5 steel cup with a Stanley lid, but i'm trying to find a container that'll fit inside it. Closest I've come so far is the round water bottles (mine had Frozen characters on it, lol).
>>
Is this cheaper than burning propane?
>>
I like pressurized sideburners.

You don't need a pot stand, you don't need to prime it, and you don't really need much of a wind shield.

The one downside being that there's no easy way to put them out when.
>>
>>936499
Setup is cheap; you can make a SuperCat for anywhere between free and 75 cents, 10-20 burns worth of fuel costs about $2, depending on environmental temperatures and what you're cooking.
>>
>>936508
cont.
Also, they'll technically burn anything from gasoline to nail polish remover, though the best fuels are Ethanol and Methanol, yellow bottles of HEET are a good top-up while traveling, or you can buy a half-gallon of denatured alcohol at WM for about $10, which will last forever and a day (both are Ethanol/Methanol mixtures).
>>
>>936511
>>936511
Cool thanks. Will look into. I'm burning a Coleman stove for heat and food currently. Buying these little tanks is pretty expensive though. I was thinking of maybe adapting it to burn the full size tanks but idk if I want one in my van.
>>
>>936515
Ah, no, that changes things. I don't remember off the top of my head about Ethanol, but Methanol for sure gives off toxic fumes when it burns; Normally this is in such small amounts that it's nothing to be concerned about, but using it in an enclosed area, especially for heat, isn't a good idea.
>>
>>936517
Ah. Yeah I was thinking it might be kind of dangerous to have a quantity of unsealed fuel burning as well. Not familiar with these things though.
>>
>>936520
You'll want to look it up yourself (which is highly recommended for anything you read here regarding safety anyhow), but I think propane is safe to use for indoor heat, so you may as well use a propane stove as well, and buy the adapter for the larger tanks so you can purchase in bulk.
>>
>>936525
It's been safe going on a year. Ironically the candles almost killed me.
>>
>>936527
I'm guessing it was due to a fire or near-fire, though I do recall reading about how the combustion of lipids is a leading cause of respiratory cancers, which makes a lot of sense given the molecular similarities of wax to fat but the body's inability to utilize it.

I'm not retyping that, but holy shit I sound autistic here...
>>
not exactly related to stoves; but in the wild; how do you ensure an area wont catch fire. like dead leaves, trees overhanging etc. Do you guys use mats of some sort, dead tree stumps? or just brush the ground and make a circle for the stove with slight radius of space???
>>
>>936688
You're supposed to clear an area.
>>
>>936688
You're supposed to clear an area five feet in every direction, but most people build stupid big fires. If you're using a tin can stove that gets flames six inches off the ground, six inches is adequate; even if you knock it over, you can stomp out a fire like that easily.
>>
>>936068
I like the fancy feast. You don't have to prime it to get it to light
>>
I like a stove which doesn't get crushed if you fart near it, so I use a trangia burner.
>>
>>936457
It may take a little more fuel to bring to a boil in a steel cup I dunno, I use a aluminum or titanium pot depending on my activities and desired pack weight.
>>
>>938946
Is there a difference between the fancyfeast and supercat?

>>939068
Steel has a higher thermal conductivity than titanium does, but I'm actually just trying to find a bottle to store alcohol in that will fit inside my cup.
>>
File: hurr.jpg (180KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
hurr.jpg
180KB, 1500x1500px
>>936068
>>
File: tmp_12438-images1793738330.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12438-images1793738330.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>939418
The fancyfeast has a can to act as a stand and a fiber glass cloth wick
>>
File: supercat.jpg (69KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
supercat.jpg
69KB, 599x600px
>>939555
So the fancyfeast burns only on the outside of the stove then? Wouldn't that cause heatloss and uneven burning?

The supercat burns across its entire area, inside the ring stand and out.
>>
trangia
>>
>>939720
Any particular reason, or do you just like paying retail prices for commercial products that are less effective than just using garbage?
>>
>>936068
>What is your favourite alcohol stove design?
where you put the alcohol in your belly to warm you fro within
>>
>>939436
Bleuet is the God of the stoves. It's unkillable and the canisters are 1/4th the price of regular cans.

>>939779
It's don't warm you, it redirect the heat from your vital organs to your arms/legs.
>>
File: pepe bass.jpg (3MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
pepe bass.jpg
3MB, 3264x1840px
>>939761
you gonna need bigger bait m8
>>
>>939796
Not bait. I'm just trying to find out if there's anything better than a supercat, so far, no.
>>
>>939787
so long you have energy to burn it's all good.
i have some experience with this shit. extreme exposure makes it a bad deal sure but that's rare.
>>
>>939816
trangia-
1. simmer ring - adjust my heat if i actually want to cook and not just boil water

2.also snuffs out the flame if i wish to shut it off

3.screw on cap to keep dirt out or fuel in

4.I could literally stand on it and not crush it like a ball of foil

5.it will not blow away in a gentle breeze
>>
File: shia.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
shia.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>939816
>sc/out/ since 7 y.o.
>trangia ever since

aint nuffing wrong with them.
>>
Next question is what are you carrying your fuel in? Don't want something bursting and get your panties all methsy.
>>
>>939708
pretty much what I use. didn't know it had a name. I've just punched some holes in a mushrooms can. then some more because it didn't burn. then some more and it worked.

I have two TSA approved bottles for the alcohol. that's enough for heating up at least 4 cans of food or something equivalent.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.