[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping bags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 26

Okay so I want a down sleeping bag, i would like a 4 season down bag, prefereably not too heavy, cost isn't a huge issue, but value for money is. Also need a 2-3 season one to replace my current 3 season synthetic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
>>
File: marmot.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
marmot.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Does it have to be 4 season? Unless your seasons are all pretty similar,.it's going to be pretty bulky and hot for the summer, and probably still not warm enough for winter. If cost is no issue then I'd get dedicated winter and summer bags, and then a cool weather bag. I would never want to be stuck with a winter bag in the summer and vice versa, regardless of the quality. Pic related is my 40 degree marmot summer bag.
>>
>>935936
i don know what climate you are in (and i could be wrong) but where i live 4 season sleeping bag sounds like "breathable waterproof" you are asking too much from one product.

its either gunna leave you cold in the winter or hot in the summer.

as far as recs go ive been using the same REI sleeping bag for close to a decade. i think its called the Igneo now. 3 season and really good water protection... i know that because i slept a little too close to the ocean once and my friend was woken up by the tide before i was.
>>
File: 51HjxI6ojdL.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
51HjxI6ojdL.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>935936
Have you considered this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUSO4?ie=UTF8
>>
>>935965

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUSO4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0009PUSO4&linkId=cc96bb0922b9a68965e01a8048d1eb0b

one of my friends got this one and says it's worth the money.
>>
>>935968
>it's worth the money.

pretty much every review of an ohuhu product i have ever read says this.

they really found their knitch in the middle market.
>>
>>935936
I would personally go for a 3 season bag and a 2-3 season top quilt that can be used in conjunction.

My 3 season set up is basically that, my 4 season is my down TQ with a 4 season synthetic bag and has seen me down to -20C - but it weighs 2.5kg
>>
Are the aliexpress Aegismax bags any good?
>>
Nemo Salsa in the 15 and 30 options - light and good value for $
>>
>>936004
Can't deal with anything that heavy. I want something light and warm for winter. And then a 2/3 season for the rest of the year
>>
>>936002
they just make good stuff at the right price
>>
>>936057
if you have the money and storage space a dedicated bag for each season is the best solution.

A 3 season bag supplemented with a 2-3 season TQ is only going to run a few hundred grams heavier for the additional fabric, it's not that bad a weight penalty.
>>
>>936129
>few hundred grams heavier

bro this is not your fathers ultralight camping!!!
>>
>>935936
I'm going to go ahead and break the mould here.

Your best value is actually going to be in a modular system. As it's been mentioned above, multi-season bags just aren't comfortable in every season, but a modular system allows you to carry only what you need to be most comfortable for the season you'll be using it in at the time.

My recommendation would be to either keep your existing bag, or replace it with a newer spring/autumn bag and add a bivvy and liner as appropriate.

In the summer I use only an SOL Escape bivvy and a Thermolite Extreme liner, in fall I've used my summer sleeping bag with the bivvy, and in winter I've used all three together (though I prefer my cocoon hammock so I can stay off the snow).

If you already have a decent bag, you're only looking at another $100 or so for the bivvy and liner, which would expand your current setup to any environment.
>>
Need help,

I don't have a good sleeping bag right now. Just saw this Thermarest Centari at goodwill for $50. There was a Regular and a Long. They both looked like they were in really good condition. They are both from 2014. Synthetic 0F/-16C. Do you think this would be a good bag to get? I would just be getting the regular as I'm 5' 10" and the Long is just extra weight. I can't find much on reviews for this specific model year. In WA state and don't camp too often during winter but maybe I could with this?
>>
Consider getting a quilt, check out Enlightened Equipment
>>
File: 1479699760576.png (1B, 486x500px)
1479699760576.png
1B, 486x500px
Hey guys I have a problem.

I'm 6 /12 feet and need a sleeping bag that is compact

Does such a sleeping bag exist that is at a reasonable price?
>>
>>935936
Some anons know whats up, modular system is the best. Mine personally is a 500 weight (2 season) down bag, silk liner, s2s thermolite liner and a thermarest tech blanket.
Depending on how hot your summers are, you want to start with a 2 or 3 season bag. Down bags are the lightest and most packable but are expensive, shop around. If you get a down bag, dont use a bivi as your sweat clumps the feathers and youll get cold.
A good liner is a must, cleaning your liner instead of your bag will add years to its life. I used polycotton for a while and its fine, but silk is lighter and warmer. Sea to summit do three weights of fleece liners which are really fucking warm, only used the lightest one but it was really warm, worth the investment.
Down quilts seem amazing, but ive never found one that seems worth the price. Thermarests tech blankets seem more reasonably priced, and are great for hot summer use alone.
The mat is probably the most important part of cold weather camping, as it stops the ground stealing your precious warmth. I personally like lightweight air mattresses, like the thermarest xlite and xtherm. Ive bever used the xlite, my summer mat is a zlite cos its so cheap. I won the xtherm in a comp and honestly its amazing, you can feel the heat radiated back at you. With the xtherm ive taken my system to -25 in norway

This is a system for tent camping, if i was bivying id want a synthetic bag and hammocking id probably invest in the quilt
>>
>>938674
That's bloody good to hear. Ordered an xtherm just a couple days ago. So I'm waiting for that. Sounds like I'll be good with a 3 season down and liner then
>>
I would like a bag and accessories ~$400 that will be as warm as possible, I expect I'll be camping in around -20°f. Weight isn't a big deal. Any suggestions?
>>
File: out_feels_guy.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
out_feels_guy.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>935936
Look no further than outdoorvitals.com . They have 0, 20, and 30 degree down bags with 850 fill for < $150. You couldn't ask for more or better. I bought the 0 degree one and have used it on 2 trips this winter - one that saw as low as -36 and the other was never above 0 degrees. Not a problem with warmth either time
>>
>>939143
thank you glorious shill

i will surely invest my shekels into your product!
>>
File: IMG_2087.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_2087.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>939151
Haha for real though, I've been using the 0 degree one as a comforter even. I ended up buying their under quilt as well because it was so much more compact than my Eno Ember
>>
>>939165
The 0 degree one looks nice. Bit sceptical though. Mever heard of the brand and they seem way too cheap
>>
>>936026
Gotta say my Nemo bags are at the top of my favs! Nemo Stratospheres.

>>936002
I only have the Ohuhu gasifier stove and it is great!

>>939586
>too cheap
Probably using feathers and down that aren't certified Cruelty Free.
>>
>>939619
I'm not a PETA nut or anything but have you guys seen those videos? They don't kill the birds for food and have down left over as a result, no... they rip out handfuls of the birds' feathers every six months until they die from broken legs and wings.

And it takes dozens of birds to just to fill a jacket.
>>
File: 1449964123971.png (1B, 486x500px)
1449964123971.png
1B, 486x500px
>Be tall fag
>Searching for some ultralight bags that could fit me
>Find a bag a like
>Tall version says it can fit 78 inches
>I'm exactly 78 inches

Should I be worried or do sleeping bags usually have more wiggle room than their description says? I've never ordered one offline before.
>>
>>939856
Where you ordering it from? If it's a reputable dealer, they'll take returns, maybe even have a store that you can take it to. If it's not a reputable dealer and it doesn't fit, dispute the charge and get your money back, let the con shop take the loss.
>>
>>939858
I meant to type online but it corrected to offline for some reason, but I am ordering off REI's website. I'm relatively new to the sleeping bag market, I have been using the same one for a very long time since it's kinda a headache to find one that fits me.

They seem reputable enough, but I can't say with certainty.
>>
>>939862
REI will take any return, at any time, for any reason up to a year of purchase, without receipt.

How's that for reputable?
>>
File: 1450463261032.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1450463261032.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>939865
Ordering the bag right now.

Thanks my dude.
>>
>>939143
>outdoorvitals.com
>800 fill power duck down
kay.
I mean everyone used duck down anyway and the price is right, but don't bullshit me here. unless these are eiderducks, we're talking maybe 500-650 fill tops.

if it was me, I'd just buy some excellent quality goose down and have some tailors open up my synthetic bag's seams and fill it and then close it back up.
>>
>>939871
>excellent quality goose down
So you can probably afford the tailors, too. For the rest of us, deseaming and whipstitching a sleeping isn't hard to do yourself, and down is cheaper in bulk than it is when already in a sleeping bag.
>>
File: IMG_1740.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1740.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>939586
If you read their mission statement and watch their YouTube the videos, the guy started the company to provide high quality, cheap products so that college kids just starting out could go backpacking without dropping a grand on equipment. It's definitely 850 - I also have an 850 0 degree Kelty Cosmic and the Outdoor Vitals one seriously compresses to about half the size. The loft is insane. It rises 4-5 inches after rolling it out. I can't find a single negative thing about this bag.
>>
File: IMG_2106.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_2106.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>939871
Well, I have no affiliation with the company, so I have no need to bullshit you. But please, tell me what kind of down can go from this compressed...
>>
File: IMG_2105.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_2105.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>940083
... to this much loft in just a few minutes
>>
>>940086
>>940083
Dude, you stole my fucking remote, give it back!
>>
>>939691
If you have no problem with outright animal abuse, cop one.

I will look into it as the Bible tells us, "God gives all the Earth and all it's animals" to us.

There is the thing of moral objection to brutality for profit and comfort that gives an enlightened mind pause...

My EE Revo quilt has done me well for two seasons and pairing that with my Eureka! Backcountry Bed makes for a great combo.

At least one is certified as cruelty free.
Or is it a parka?
>>
>>940083
You don't actually compress your bag do you?
>>
>>940138
One of the basic advantages of high quality down.

A bit extreme with the compression straps, but fine if you don't store it that way.
>>
>>940141
That's what I meant, compressing it for storage.
>>
File: 017.gif (1B, 486x500px)
017.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>940101
Sorry, bra. If you come get it, you can have it

>>940138
When I'm backpacking? Yes. When I'm not? No.
>>
File: igneo.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
igneo.jpg
1B, 486x500px
rei is clearancing out their igneo sleeping bags. normally $300, now $178: https://www.rei.com/product/862532/rei-co-op-igneo-sleeping-bag
>lower limit 19°f
>700 fill
>1 lb 12 oz total weight
>waterproof
>>
>>935936
>i would like a 4 season down bag

There is no such thing as a 4 season bag. "3 season" and "4 season" are used for tents because you can feasibly use a strong tent built for snow-loading in the summertime. You simply CAN NOT use a winter sleeping bag in the summertime. You'll alternate between sweating your ass off every night and shivering as you alternate between zipping it up and throwing it off of you because you're sweating too much. Not fun. I have done it.

Most people "make do" with a 20 degree (Fahrenheit) sleeping bag, which is a good weight for spring and fall. It would be a little warm for summer and not warm enough in winter, but you can use it most of the year as long as you don't live somewhere too far north.
>>
File: Picture 27.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Picture 27.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>941097
Picked up the last one from my local store today

Probably my best purchase in a while
>>
File: kilo plus.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
kilo plus.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>941097
I bought an REI Kilo Plus in 2007. I don't know if it's been discontinued, but the bag was supposedly rated for 0*F. The first (and last) time I took it out, temps dropped to maybe 40. I didn't have a thermometer, but this was non-freezing spring weather and flowers were blooming on the ground. Because the down fill in the bag was such low quality and there wasn't enough of it in the bag, the feathers would shift around inside the baffles, creating literal cold spots where there was no insulation, just the two layers of nylon shell material pressing up against each other. I was able to manage by constantly fluffing it, making an effort to not shift my body around AT ALL and laying my jacket over my body inside the bag, but it was a very uncomfortable way to spend the night and definitely not how a good sleeping bag ought to be performing.

Not that the Kilo Plus is the same as the Igneo. I don't know anything about the Igneo, but this one experience I had with an REI sleeping bag was so bad that I swore the brand off completely for all outdoor gear.

The old adage is true. You absolutely do get what you pay for. I'd add one more line to that: There are no cheap sleeping bags, only cheap men.
>>
>>941154
i'll add a third line: for everyone who seeks out a less expensive functional option, there will be someone bitter that they paid more who will belittle them.
>>
>>941372
I was going to say this earlier, but you phrased is better than I could have.

If cost equates to quality, then my mechanic must be devine.
>>
>>936138
Or, you know, one summer bag and one winter bag.

Old winter bags make good but heavy summer bags.
>>
>>941372
Talk about bitter. You just made shit up and threw it at me like an insult. I'm telling you that I DID CHEAP OUT on a sleeping bag and it ended badly. It's not that I paid more and am bitter. I actually paid LESS than you. The Igneo mentioned is on sale for $178. My Kilo Plus was $99 when I bought it. Prices have risen a bit in the 10 years intervening.
>who will belittle them
Why do you have to take gear choices so damn personally? This should be a coldly rational decision. Use what you know about materials, quality control and customer feedback to make your decision. Even if you hadn't read my review of the Kilo Plus, you should have realized that REI is not highly regarded for making quality gear. If you can't think rationally and it doesn't end well, don't be surprised if you can't stay warm at night.
>>
>>941474
The Igneo is originaly $300 so it's not a cheap bag to begin with. It's cheaper than other bags in the temp range but it's triple the price of your old bag and almost 10 years newer, I'm sure it's going to be significantly better than your old bag. Different poster btw...
The only complaints I've seen so far after a little research is that it's pretty tight in the leg area and leaks a very small amount of down. I still think it sounds good for the price/weight/temp rating that you're getting.
>>
>>941640
Also, Similarly priced bags ($180) are heavier/bigger/less comfy/synthetic or lower quality down. So I think if you're shopping in the price range then the Igneo is a good option. Except the Outdoor Vitals looks like it might be better on paper with the 800 fill down. Seems too good to be true though at $140...
>>
>>941474
kek. everyone point and laugh at this ass-blasted faggot
>muh 10 year old, single example, anecdotal evidence
yep. sure makes a better case than all the research i did before buying a piece of gear that can make or break a trip.
>Why do you have to take gear choices so damn personally?
i don't. you're the one who who was being a little bitch about anyone getting a $300 bag for 40% off. clearly you have some resentment towards people who get a bargain. i imagine it's because you feel like you got ripped off once, and now you compensate by only buying the most expensive gear you can, and believe that spending more makes you a better person. protip: it doesn't. it just makes you a retard.

>>941640
>it's pretty tight in the leg area
i read that too, but i'm able to lay on my side with one leg pulled up with it completely zipped. i'm a pretty flexible, lean 6', 160 lbs, though, so ymmv.
>>
Is anyone able to provide some advise? I got into camping and hiking a bit a few years ago and bought a cheap alice bag and a cheap surplus sleep system. On the off chance I decided i wasn't all that into camping I wouldn't have sunk a ton of cash. I have since upgraded to a decent tent and a much better bag, but I have not gotten a new sleeping bag yet. I do not go out as much as I would like because my sleep system takes up most of the room in my bag as it is just enormous and makes backpacking difficult.

I think it is time to step up and get a newer sleeping bag. My question is if I would like a 4 season "do all" bag would it make sense to buy a nice 3 season and then invest in a liner to push the 3 season to a 4 season come winter? If so can you recommend any bags you have had good experience with or just a 4 season that has worked well for you if you believe that to be the better option? Looking for a quality product that provides good value and stows small. I appreciate any help.
>>
File: goddamit.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
goddamit.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>941700
read the thread you lazy entitled fucking faggot. all your questions have already been answered.
>>
>>941648
It's probably the best purchase I've made with my backpacking gear. Either that or my Osprey AG
>>
>>941700 --> >>941706
For real. And yes, buy a liner. A good fleece liner will make a 0 or 20 degree 4 season (depending on your location)
>>
>>941739
>It's probably the best purchase I've made with my backpacking gear.
The Igneo or the OutdoorVitals?
>my Osprey AG
Yeah I'm looking at getting the Osprey Aether 60L, but I've heard the AG systems are noisy so I'm considering the non-AG. Is yours squeeky?
>>
>>941746
The Outdoor Vitals bag. I'm the guy that posted all the pics up there. I've had the Atmos AG 65 for a year and never noticed any noise on 12 multi day hikes. I have a weird lump in my back and the AG netting stuff molds perfectly to it. I've never had a pack before that would sit flat on my back, so I used to always have such a sore back by the end of my trips. I know other bags also have this feature, but I love that the waistband hugs really tightly. Takes all the weight off my back and shoulders and puts it into my thighs
>>
>>938593
Depends what you consider reasonable. The kelty tuck 22 long is $99. Comes in at a little over 3lbs. Packs small for a 20F synthetic bag. Im 6'4" and im comfy in the long. 6'6" might be tight but as long as your not a lard ass you should be alright. Just spent a 28F night in it. Did not die so thats always a plus.
>>
just picked up one of these, $80

seemed like the best option for someone tall 220 x 80 x 60cm, the rest of the bags there were shorter and more narrow

600d heavy duty compression/stuff sack so better than what I had for hanging off my pack
>>
>>935936
Montbell super spirals comfy as fuck
>>
>>941640
>The Igneo is originaly $300 so it's not a cheap bag to begin with.
There are two flaws in your reasoning. The first is in assuming that it's worth its MSRP. Low quality products often have inflated MSRP's, and are always at least somewhat discounted. The customer is not supposed to ever pay full MSRP, just be fooled by the supposed degree of the discount.

The second is in assuming that price is proportional to quality. It's not. A sleeping bag is either properly stitched, baffled and fully filled with quality down, or it's not. It's the difference between the sleeping bag keeping you warm at its suggested temperature rating, and you shivering at much warmer temperatures than it's supposed to insulate to.

In the future, here are some tip offs to avoid obvious low quality sleeping bags:
>anything under 800 fill power down
Down is rated inconsistently, but there are two grades commonly used in sleeping bags. The low grade down is generally marketed as 600-700 fill power. High grade down is rated at 800-900 fill power. If you are buying a sleeping bag using lower grade down, it means the manufacturer doesn't want to sell you quality gear to keep you warm; they want to save money on you while moving cheap product.

>anything made in China
Chinese factory workers do not care if you are warm at night or if you die of hypothermia. They don't even care enough about their own children to swerve their cars when a Chinese kid walks in front of their truck at slow speed. Even American companies that just contract out manufacturing are just corporate bureaucracies run by faceless pencil-pushers. Why do you think these are suitable people to build THE MOST important piece of gear that you depend on to avoid freezing to death at night?

>>941674
>anyone getting a $300 bag for 40% off. clearly you have some resentment towards people who get a bargain.
It honestly confuses me how you could have gotten that impression from my post.
>>
>>941700
>a 4 season "do all" bag

This meme needs to die. Please re-read my post here: >>941122
>>
>>941867
>There are two flaws in your reasoning.
No, your flaw is that you are trying to compare a 10 year old $100 bag with a new $300 bag.
>assuming that it's worth its MSRP
>assuming that price is proportional to quality
That's why I was comparing it to other bags in it's sale price range ($180)... All products have inflated MSRP's, that's literally how businesses make money. You can't just buy from the manufacturer and sell at wholesale price as a business... there's no profit in that and it makes the product look undervalued. But a consumer can buy directly from the manufacturer (like OutdoorVitals), and get quality product for a good price. Once the company makes a name for itself, it will wholesale to distributors. I've been working at a small business for over 6 years and have dealt with wholsalers/retailers, we buy product at a wholesale price and are REQUIRED to sell it at 2-2.5x that price because they make quality product. When we have a sale we still price it to make a bit of money. The price mainly depends on the wholesale/manufacturing company and whether they are well known and/or whether they use quality materials/craftsmanship.

Not everyone can afford a $300+ sleeping bag so when one goes on sale for a much more decent price, it's fair to consider it as an option... Literally don't understand why you care if someone buys an REI bag for a good deal. Unless you have used this actual bag and it sucked balls, don't compare it to a 10 year old cheapo bag that, honestly, you should have known would suck balls.
>>
>>939143
>outdoorvitals.com
nah. this is a shit chinese brand- if you're gonna go this level of shit-tier route, you mind as well jump on aliexpress and find something exactly to your desired specs. I have something similar and I'm reasonably pleased with it, but quality control is non-existent and you could easily get fucked buying one of these.
>>
File: 70'sSleepBag.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
70'sSleepBag.jpg
1B, 486x500px
So I just got my hands on a 70's super-high end sleeping bag. To be honest, it's not that different from my nicer sleeping bag and was originally rated to a much lower temp. Aside from a slightly bulkier zipper, and slightly thicker silnylon it's pretty much the same.

The trouble is it's been stored in a tight stuff sack for a few decades. Does anyone have experience with old down that's been stored compressed? Is this even worth trying to revitalize? Pic is somewhat related
>>
>>942224
>No, your flaw is that you are trying to compare a 10 year old
That's not a flaw in reasoning. REI has been in business for decades and they are pretty consistent in their gear building practices. If anything, the Kilo Plus was the superior bag, on paper. It was rated for colder temperatures and in fact supposedly used a higher rated grade of goose down (750 fill power).
>$100 bag with a new $300 bag.
You didn't apply what you learned from my post to the post itself. I paid $99, but it was a cheap bag. What did I say about cheap products and inflated MSRPs? This bag originally had a $299 MSRP. It's directly comparable to this newer bag you think is such a great deal. Source: http://www.summitpost.org/outdoor-gear/kilo-plus-0-degree/2019

>Unless you have used this actual bag and it sucked balls, don't compare it to a 10 year old cheapo bag that, honestly, you should have known would suck balls.
Oh, the irony of the cheap man.
>>
>>942302
Just try it out. It's wintertime now, so you should have a lot of great opportunities to test its current insulating ability.

Goose down is shipped from Canada in a compressed state. In theory, it shouldn't be the compression that wears it out, but the repeated compression and decompression of hard daily use that wears it out. That's just in theory, though. I think we've all seen synthetic sleeping bags that were stored compressed once and lost about 20% of their loft. Down is much more durable than synthetics, but this is where I can't make any specific claims as I've never stored down bags compressed for too long.
>>
>>942477
thanks for the sage words!

Got any advice on re-lofting it? Its outta the sack now and I going to tumble dry it with some old tennis balls. dont really have any other plans but willing to try suggestions
>>
>>942297
Then I guess I got lucky twice.
>>
>>942482
If you think the bag is dirty, you can wash it with mild detergent in a commercial-style washer to restore some loft (NOT a washer with the central post, but any side-loader is fine), but if the bag is clean, I don't think you'll notice any improvement. Once wet, it will take a really, really long time to get it dry, which is normal, but can be a little disconcerting if you're not expecting it. Check your dryer for burrs and hot spots (let it run for 15 minutes on low heat, then feel around for any spots that are just too hot to touch). Tennis balls should help, but maybe if you have something like that but heavier (dog chew toy?), it might help better. If drying it after washing it, keep drying until there are no clumps left at all in the insulation.
>>
Does anyone have any suggestions for a two-person sleeping bag? Biggest consideration would be weight as we're going to be doing a lot of backpacking. 2 or 3 season should suffice.
>>
>>942801
A lot of sleeping bag manufacturers make their bags with mate-able zippers. One of you can buy a left zip bag and the other can buy a right zip bag.
>>
Latefag chiming in with out reading thread.

Just forget poly bags. Go with down. Trust me.

Four season means you won't get smothered in summer, and is suitable for cabin, camper etc down to 10 degrees c. or so.
Three season bags will keep you warm. That's where -15 degree bags make sense. In other words, if you are tent camping year round, get a 3 season bag. Leave it unzipped or as a blanket in summer. You'll know when it's time to get a light bag.
OTOH, if it's for a summer treck, and weight is an issue, a 4 season bag might make sense.

Also, in my experience, north face bags are cut narrow in the shoulders. Be sure to try one on for size.

Get a down bag. If water worries you, get a waterPROOF compression bag. Get one anyway. But get a down bag.
>>
>>942884
Sound, any recommendations on a good 3 season down bag?
>>
Haven't had to buy one in 15 years. sorry
>>
File: 1047.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1047.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>942884
> 4 season bag

Stopped reading there
>>
File: thubz.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
thubz.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>942490
cool cool. I definitely appreciate the help- sounds like you've done this before.
>>
Not the anon you are replying to, but another that also has to clean his old down bag. Have been sleeping in it daily for the last months (with a liner though, but still…) and with regular use the years before, so now its really due for a wash.
But the last time I washed it (and dried it) I kinda fucked up, so I'll highjack this with a few questions.

>>942490
>a commercial-style washer to restore some loft (NOT a washer with the central post, but any side-loader is fine)
What do you mean with commercial style? This kinda contradicts "any side-loader". Commercial side-loaders are about 10 times the volume you find in your basement. Or is this just an US vs EU thing? Im an Euro, and we only have side-loaders, but I'd say the volume of the drum is a bit smaller than a standard US toploader.
From what I have read so far, you are supposed to handwash (and dry) down bags, but when I did this the last time, I totally fucked up my down distribution. So I'm kinda willing to try the machine, but I am worried about totally killing my downs, and loosing a lot of them, since I'm leaking feathers all over the place already.
But then on the other hand, my back insulation is that fucked up, that it probably can't get much worse.
>>
>>942884
>Just forget poly bags. Go with down. Trust me.
>Get a down bag. If water worries you, get a waterPROOF compression bag. Get one anyway. But get a down bag.
Can you elaborate some more?
I'm >>943245 and to me, cleaning is the second thing that makes down suck. The first is water.
I tried bivying with my down bag a few times, and I always got cold and wet because of condensation. Sleeping without a bivy bag had the same results. As has touching the tents outer walls, sweating at night or even just being in a zipped close tent with 3 breathing humans. Fucking down always gets soaked. Seems only good for desert or dry and really cold conditions.
Or are the "new" DWR shell fabrics really that good? How is there longevity? Mine is an old-ish (10+ years?) Mountain Equipment Marathon without a waterproof/resistant shell and it really annoys me.
My 25 or so years old, no-name poly-bag on the other hand also warms me when its soaked (had to try it at a festival, when someone threw it in a kiddy pool…). Feels like crawling into a used condom, but after warming it up, you just get that strange but cozy "I pissed myself warm" feeling. Also, really easy to clean.
But fucking heavy. How good are the new synthetics? My down bag weights almost exactly 1kg, packs down to about 3l and is really comfy down to about 10°C and still doable down to about 5°, when wearing some stuff.
>>
>>943245
I just mean a side loading washer. Most sleeping bags will fit in a regular size washer, but it *can not* have a central post in the basin, as that will probably destroy your bag's delicate fabric.

From the horse's mouth: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/product-details/product-tips-care/

I forgot that they make special hydrophobic detergents for down. Probably best to use something like that.
>>
>>943258
>I just mean a side loading washer. Most sleeping bags will fit in a regular size washer, but it *can not* have a central post in the basin,
I see. Top loaders are stupid anyways, but that's probably more fitting for some
>The difference between the US and the EU…
troll post on some other board.
I was just confused by your use of "commercial".

Thanks for the link! very helpful. Though I also have seem the advice to hand wash from another manufacturer, but I guess since my back seems quite fucked anyways, I dont have much to loose.

I guess I'll do this
>A tip here is to keep your bag in its stuff sack and put the whole thing underwater. That way air has already been forced out of the bag and you won’t have to fight air filled baffles floating to the surface.
first, and then transfer the wet bag into the machine.
>>
>>935936
recently got this rab neutrino endurance 600 bag, my first down bag. went for the endurance model with a bit more waterproof and rugged shell. hope i can use it as a blanket during summer and that it's breathable enough. worked nice during a -5 c outing the other day. love how much space there's left in my pack now.
>>
>>942297
I ordered the aegismax down bag recently, still waiting for it to come. Do you have any idea if it's good?
>>
>945329
I'm out of the loop with what modern bags can do, but -7 comfort at sub 1kg? Damn, that's good.
Or rather, that seems to good to be true.
My oldschool down bag was rated to +5 at exactly 1kg, and after some use, it's now more at +10, with discomfort.
Or am I just an old fart with no clue about current gear?

Anyways, I need a new bag.
Can /out/ recommend me something in the 1kg range that can deal with wet conditions?
>>
>>945329
No clue, but I've seen some nice (if not shady) reviews on their bags. Been looking at the lower priced unknown chinese bags as well, but am still hesistant. 100 dollars seems very cheap for a down bag but if its crap, its still 80 dollars down the drain.

http://m.ebay.nl/itm/Outdoor-Vitals-Summit-30-F-Down-Ultralight-Mummy-Sleeping-Bag-Lifetime-Warranty-/112179715035?nav=SEARCH&varId=412346826188
Ive been eyeballing this one.
>>
>>945439
*100 dollars down the drain
>>
>>945379
US or EU?

I'd be looking at goose down bags that have been treated to be hydrophobic. I've been looking at Alpkit and Rab bags,

>Alpkit Pipedream 600
>600g of 750fill (thats 850 US rating)
>-12C
>1085g
>250 britbongdollars
>>
>>945464
oh yah and

>hydrophobic treated down
>DWR treated outer
>ethically sourced down

I wouldn't be such a poorfag to buy an aliexpress sleeping bag.
>>
>>945464
>US or EU?
EU
>250 britbongdollars
so that's like 100€? Sounds like a steal.
…just kidding you m8. I a thinking about doing a trip to the UK anyways in summer. could be worth it to buy it there.

>hydrophobic treated down
Fuck. I really gotta update my bag knowledge. That sounds fantastic.
>>
>>945464
>>945466
>>945544

Hydrophobic down doesnt allow the down to work in wet conditions. In practice the down still clumps when wet, even from 3 or 4 days sweat, but the hydrophobic treatment allows it to dry faster and be less permamently damaged after a soaking. Down bags do not work in the wet
>>
>>945969
Yeah, I already guessed that this would not magically turn down into something that works underwater, but as of now, my bag (non DWR shell + normal down) is hydrophilic, soaking up every moisture it can get, while taking days to dry.
>>
File: 2017-02-07 09.03.16.jpg (466KB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-07 09.03.16.jpg
466KB, 1885x1060px
heavyweight car camper here, I just dont see how those weird nylon bags are comfortable or warm. I like my huge fluffy flannel lined bags.
>>
Okay, I'm anonymous here, it doesn't matter what they think or call you... Are there types of sleeping bags with insect proof netting covering the face? The thought of spiders and centipedes crawling on my face when I'm asleep spooks the fuck out of me.
>>
>>946068
best bet is probably a net to go over your bag like
>https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/bug-bivy-2.html
>>
>>946063
just carry that flanel bag for a day and see if you care about the lining
>>
>>946063
i agree they're great <100' from the car. but carry one for a mile or two, and you'll understand the logic of a smaller, lighter , more packable bag.
>>
Oh I get them, I just dont know how in the shit they can be comfy at all.
>>
>>945969
You're right, but I never said it did. It does, however, make the down, and bag, hydrophobic, funnily enough, which, as you can imagine, does help against moisture.

I'm in Scotland and have real trouble keeping my down bags going for more than a night when I'm in the glens, or dealing with heavy mist or high humidity.
>>
This seems like the best price/quality ratio I have come across. Escpecially their quilts and sleeping bags are rated high. I'm just especially curious about the comforter, since you can customize it to a sleeping bag and quilt as well.
http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems/comforter-m350?vid=7

This seems like about the only interesting down bags producer in europe
>>
>>946180
>I'm in Scotland and have real trouble keeping my down bags going for more than a night when I'm in the glens, or dealing with heavy mist or high humidity.
Your "normal" down bags or your hydrophobic down bags?
>>
>>946509
7 year old Rab bag, starting to show it's age.

I haven't got a hydrophobic down bag yet. I'll be getting the Alpkit I linked to above, but not before next autumn now as it's starting to warm again
>>
>>938674

I life in europe and want a sleeping setup for bike packing 3 seasonal, mostly in summer though and probably entirely in +C degree .

would it be wise then to get a 2 season 500 ffill down bag and a silk liner and later on a fleece liner if I feel like I need it ?
>>
>>946652

also , could I just get a sythetic bag and a good liner ?
the pack size issue seems to be diminished since I will be packing a light bag anyway
>>
File: 5014482-002_pic1.jpg (301KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5014482-002_pic1.jpg
301KB, 1200x1200px
how about the aleutian medium from north face ?

it weighs about 1,2kg and should go down to 5 C.
would this be a wise first sleeping bag for 3 season use in europe ?
>>
Any reason to not get a US surplus sleep system with the 2 bags, bivy, and sack? $125 seems pretty reasonable for basically 4 seasons. I live in Colorado, so nights in the mountains can get really cold in early or late season.

I don't backpack. My camping is from a car or motorcycle.
>>
>>938593

>6 /12 feet
What kind of measurement is this?
>>
>>947486
no because that'll be its extreme rating. a 1.2kg synthetic bag is not gonna do much good.
>>
>>950197

Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame: 1.22 kg; comfort: 0°C; limit: -6°C; extreme: -23°C

MH Lamina are the best synthetic bags I tried so far.
>>
>>935936

How are you suppose to react to a wild animal or hostile person in one of those?
>>
>>952848
Fuck up, cunt.
>>
>>936002
>knitch
It's "niche", friend. Have a good day! :)
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.