[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hammock Warmth Solution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12

File: jrb-bear-mtn-bridge-tarp.jpg (179KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
jrb-bear-mtn-bridge-tarp.jpg
179KB, 1000x750px
Just had an idea that I haven't seen anywhere and wanted to share. I've been testing a tarp hammock and wool blanket combo for lighter season casual camping. Often the solution to cold temperatures is an under quilt as pictured. But then I thought about bushcraft shelters using leaves as insulation. Why not just hang your hammock low and build a pile of leaves beneath so that when you get in you are nestled in the pile? Has anyone attempted this? I will be trying it out when I have time soonish to know for myself the practicality.
>>
>>934839
Spiders and other critters may be an issue for people who are squeamish about that sort of thing, and I doubt that leaves would trap air as well as a pad or underquilt (though still a lot more than nothing). There's also the fact that if the leaves get wet, your hammock will soak through into your bag and clothing. That said, you might have something there, so long as you're realistic about the drawbacks.
>>
>>934841
There are definitely always drawbacks and I have no delusions of grandeur in regard to surpassing modern tech in function. That being said I am glad you agree that there is potential. I've been designing a pseudo minimalist overnight pack and one facet is a tarp hammock. I would like to be able to use it 3/4 seasons here in New England for casual one night camps and worry that the cold will shut me out in early spring and late fall. There are supposed to be some nice days coming up and I have a day off of work which will avail me a night to test the idea. I'm thinking I could maybe even build a small fence around the leaves to contain them. I could use sticks or perhaps even just paracord looped around the trees I am hanging on.
>>
>>934841
>>934860
P.s. using a tarp hammock helps largely prevent moisture issues.
>>
>>934860
>>934861
You know what? I think I may have a solution to damn near all of those problems, now that I think about it. What if instead of piling leaves up underneath where your hammock goes, you make a large pocket in the hammock to hold the leaves? As long as they're dry and critter free when they go in, it would stay that way. It basically becomes an underquilt that you fill on-site.
>>
>>934879
It may need a few baffles along the width to prevent the debris from gathering at the bottom, so you'd have to fill it from the side. If the baffles are open at the fill point at the center of the hammock, the sleeping bag on top of it would close it up. I'd use a parachute material in a gathered-end style for simplicity and because PVC tarps don't allow removal of perspiration. You might even take it a step further and make it wrap fully around you so you don't need a top quilt or sleeping bag either.

A variable insulation, super ultralight and self-contained sleep system... I think you just struck on the best idea I've ever heard.
>>
>>934883
If the inner layer is structural parachute material and the outer layer is tyvek, the whole thing would be waterproof too.

If you use 14-S tyvek, you could probably nearly double the fill power of the leaves.

I think I'm going to make a debris-fill bivvy and see how it works out.
>>
>>934879
>>934883
I like that thought. And when using a tarp as a hammock there is a built in full length pocket already. There is perspiration removal to account for as you say but you just balance your top layer I would think. The only issue would be compression but for colder temps you could combo both systems.
>>
>>934885
Well, I played around with the idea of using PVC tarp as a make-shift bivvy for a while, but once I actually tried it out, I got soaked in perspiration. What is it, like two cups of sweat during an eight-hour sleep? That's not good to wake up in when you're camping in the cold; the rapid evaporation of held perspiration once you get out of bed could cause a hypothermic reaction, I'd highly recommend using a breathable material like parachute, I really think you'll be happier with it.

The bivvy, I think I'll do with two layers of standard tyvek and see how that works out, if it's good I'll buy some 14-S.
>>
>>934886
I am still in trial stages and will definitely take your experience into account as I try things out and develop my kit.
>>
In regards to reliability though, what's the plan of action if the debris is already wet at the point of arrival on site? That doesn't really allow for a backup plan and it means that you'd have the least amount of insulation during the worst time to have poor insulation. A skilled woodsman may be able to make due with that, but most people I would think wouldn't want to struggle with a damp bag and a difficult to light fire at the same time.

The question then becomes: would an inner layer of tyvek prevent liquid water from dampening the user, and would the outer layer of tyvek allow enough water vapor to escape to dry within a reasonable amount of time?

Sorry btw... I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just started thinking and the words came pouring out; I hope you can turn this into a viable sleep system. The idea of using foraged fill tickles my autism in the best possible way.
>>
>>934891
There is no such thing as hijacking. A thread becomes what it must be. I must admit that I have little to no experience with tyvek. The ideas behind the build I am working are multipurpose, minimal, and cheap. Hence the tarp hammock. I will be posting my semi final build soon. Waiting on a couple deliveries as well as a bit more money. Your autism is not the only one's being ticked.
>>
>>934916
I'm looking forward to it. Tyvek can actually be scored for free if you don't mind the rougher paper type that they put on houses, or the fabric type can be picked up pretty darn cheap by the yard (look for kite-building websites). Effectively, tyvek is the same as goretex, except more durable, a sheet of plastic with holes big enough that water vapor can get out but so small that liquid water can't get in. It's pretty awesome as a camping material.
>>
>>934839
>>934879

youre creating solutions to problems that dont exist.

if you're going out for a night and you have a hammock you're going to pack some insulation, whether its a 10 dollar ccf pad or a 200 dollar down uq.

srlsly get out in the woods more and spend less time hypothesising
>>
>>934940
I can guarentee you friend, I /out/ more than you do, because I'm not the kind of person that would even use the phrase "out for a night".

When all I have for a month in the woods is what I can carry, reducing my pack weight and volume by removing all the fill would be very worth it to me.
>>
''I /out/ more than you do!''

NO I DO!

NO ME!

NU UH!

fucking tree shaggin' twats.
>>
>>935001
I live in the forest and eat beetles for sustenance.
>>
>>935001
Truly spoken like a man who's afraid of being alone in the dark.
>>
File: 20161118_121916-picsay.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161118_121916-picsay.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
Leaves piled under the hammock wouldn't work well. Any breeze at all and they're gone. Since the hammock moves around, unless you get in very gingerly and hold still all night, the leaves won't stay in a nice pile. Even when you have a big pile of leaves, the warmth would be minimal at best.

Using what amounts to a shell of an underquilt and packing with leaves is an alright idea, but if the leaves are wet, full of bugs, or not a lot of leaves around, you're kinda screwed.

An underquilt works. A good down quilt isn't heavy, packs small, and is worth its weight in gold on cold nights.

If you're serious about using leaves, you'll need something that has baffles to keep the leaves in place, like another anon said.

If you're on a budget, just get a cheap ccf pad. It has multiple uses too, like a sit pad.

The leaves are a novel idea, but pretty flawed in practice. If it works for you then more power to you.
>>
>>934839
The reason you never saw it done is, it is a complete shit idea.
Why not put a huge assed pile of leaves on the ground and sleep on that?
>>
>>934886
Excited to see how the bivvy turns out. I should be testing the leaves with my current tarp hammock Wednesday night. I'm going to attempt to just do the fill method as I think it will be less intensive on the number of leaves needed. Reports say it should only be 40 degrees Fahrenheit so not a bad night to test. Full disclosure it will be a backyard camp out in case I freeze.

>>934891
Regarding reliability and backup plans....I'm not too sure on how I would handle these situations yet. Pine boughs could always be used instead of leaves in the fill method is my first thought. Wouldn't be as good but perhaps acceptable. Another idea would be to fill with your backup clothing from your pack. Thoughts indeed.

>>935021
Keep in mind that at least for me this is a cheap easy way to let me camp a little earlier and later in the season with next to nothing. I'm not designing a year round 100% reliable no matter what kit. That comes next. This kit is designed to be casual and super minimal for one nighters as that is often all the time I have and don't see the need to be prepped to the 9's. That being said, the proof will be in the pudding when I test this week.
>>
>>934959
>reducing weight and volume
>carries wool blanket
>>
File: DSCF7967 copy.jpg (1MB, 4896x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7967 copy.jpg
1MB, 4896x3264px
>>934959

You sound like an autist.

Here is my set up for winter, it's about 4kg inc tarp not pictured, hardly lightweight, but with tools (.8kg), rucksack(.7kg), cook kit (.5kg), misc gear (1kg) I still have a small easily carried weight that I happily add an extra 2kg of camera gear to.

But nvm I don't go out for a month at a time so my opinion is invalid amirite?

For non-winter use I have a DIY UQ with about 300g down fill, it weighs all of about 400g and packs down to about 1 litre. It's also significantly warmer than any leaves could be. A UQ is not much weight to carry for what it gives you.

What's your kit list?
>>
>>935398
Re: pine boughs, Mors Kochanski, IIRC, recommends AT LEAST 6'' of pine boughs under you to give sufficient thickness when compressed by your weight.

It's also super wasteful and unless you're in the real back woods you shouldn't be stripping green trees of their boughs unless it's an emergency situation
>>
>>936016
Keep in mind the frame of reference for this build. Use will most often be in ideal conditions. Pine boughs would definitely be wasteful but such a solution would only be utilized in an actual survival situation. This kit is for lighter seasons and planned good weather one nighters. The idea is to be aware of potential solutions in emergencies and in the case of leaf filler, a way to use the kit later into the season without adding to it.
>>
>>936013
This picture is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>936049
Yeah it's dope. The XL size down mat really helps with the coziness, as it's wide enough to keep your shoulders warm. Surplus bag is heavy as fuck but super toasty.
>>
>>935131
>put a huge assed pile of leaves on the ground and sleep on that
This is actually a recommended form of ground insulation in the Army handbook for when you don't have your issued gear on you.

>>935398
>backyard campout
Good! It should go without saying, but new gear should always be tested with a backup plan.

>Pine boughs. I considered this as well. the same amount of airspace could be created, but as you said, the efficacy would decrease due to the increase in airflow inside that airspace. Punctures could also prove to be an issue. Still, better than nothing.

>clothing [as fill]
Yeah, I was thinking about that when we were discussing this as well. In that case, baffles would be a hinderance, but it makes a lot more sense than having completely separate day and night insulation, doesn't it? I'll definitely be doing this, whether I procede with natural fill or not; it's simply a waste to not use it.

>>935858
>wool blanket
Who said anything about a wool blanket?

>>936013
>You sound like an autist
I openly admitted to being autistic. >>934891

>I don't go out for a month at a time so my opinion is invalid
Don't be ridiculous, the reason your opinion isn't valid is because this thread is about using leaves as insulation and you're shilling down.

>kit list
I carry a seasonally appropriate sleep system, water container and filter, food, fishing kit and first aid kit. If I'm going out with friends I might carry some non-pertinent items such as a cook kit, sitting pad or tent. The whole of my summer gear when traveling alone is about 4lbs, not including food and water.

>>936016
>shouldn't be stripping green trees
In most cases, there should be enough deadfall to not require using live trees.
>>
>>934839
Just updating in regards to the test tomorrow. Forecast has changed to be down to just about freezing. Has been raining off and on all day and freezing rain last night. Looks like the test will be in almost worst possible conditions in regards to casual settings.
>>
>>936799
That's pretty lousy conditions, but you'll have a definitive answer in regards to efficacy.
>>
>>936802
For sure. My clothing isn't the greatest either desu. Polyester/spandex base layer, fleece line jeans, polyester pull over, wool socks and hat. Decent C.E. Schmidt work coat from Tractor Supply that will probably be used as double blanket since it traps too much sweat around the core during even minor exertion.
>>
>>936122
Have you tried a full length UQ? I'm curious how it'd compare to a 15º or 0º UQ considering it's about the same price. I'd assume it's nice have the flexibility to use on ground or in the hammock. I always have problems with my pad slipping around while I sleep and being extremely uncomfortable. I have a ThermaRest ProLite, so it's a pretty small pad, likely a contributing factor to that discomfort.

I'd love to get / try out an underquilt, sounds so nice not having to fiddle around with the sleeping pad.
>>
>>936013
>>936811
I've got a warbonnet ridgerunner and XL Exped (UL syn) mat too. I went for the double layer ridgerunner, and my pad slips in between the layers. The pad doesn't move at all in the night and I tend to roll around a lot. It is very warm, and nice to have the go to ground option of the pad. Unlike traditional GE hammocks, a double layer bridge is great with a pad. Keeps it even flatter/wider.

Also, OP is a dumb cunt.
>>
>>936167
>Who said anything about a wool blanket?
>>934839
>wool blanket
>>
>>936883
You were not responding to the OP.
>>
>>936954
It's not really his fault. After all, OP and I were both calling ourselves "Anonymous". That could be confusing for anyone with a low IQ.
>>
>>936852
Very nice. I was going to get the syn mat but got a good deal on the down mat. The mat doesn't move around even though I only have a single layer. My buddy has a double layer WBRR and rates it, tho'.

And totally agree with you on the ground dwelling back up - IMO a bridge hammock with sleeping pad is the most comfy / flexible solution for hiking into the unknown areas
>>
>>936811
I went for a pad because I use a bridge hammock, and I wanted something that I could use in the summer months in the mountains.

I do have an UQ, but its a DIY, about 3/4 length, and I use it for my gathered end hammock (as a pad in a gathered end sucks IMO). It's not super warm so I use it for day hikes and dates.

I also use my UQ as a TQ (just take the lines off it) in the Summer months.

If I had the money I'd love to get a full length 4 season UQ. It's really night and day compared to a pad in a normal hammock, the coziness from the heat being wrapped around you is just the best.
>>
File: 20170125_144720.jpg (5MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_144720.jpg
5MB, 4128x2322px
Finished setting up. Now for laundry and beverages while I wait for dark. Leaves were about 1 ft deep and definitely liked the center but that's where you need it the most. Could have kept gathering until I was sleeping on a leaf pillow basically but felt I was good enough for a test run. Can always try again and add more but with a list of things to take care of before darkness and hammock time I figured I was good.
>>
File: 20170125_150148.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_150148.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>937681
In hindsight I should have done the fly last and used it to help with the leaf gathering but hindsight is 20/20.
>>
File: 20170125_152101.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_152101.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>937683
Leaves in tarp. Tried it out and was comfy at least.
>>
>>937684
Wow didn't realize how bad that picture was...oh well.
>>
And now it's time for relaxing in the hammock with some beers, a blunt, and some cigarettes. Quality evening.
>>
File: 20170125_184257.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_184257.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>937802
Oops forgot pic. Crappy as it may be.
>>
>>937804
Just came inside. Warmth was not the issue though. Aside from the fact I got to sleep around 8 and I usually wake up at 4am anyway I had sagged to be partially on the ground and was kinda bent in half awkwardly and my back hurt. Upon pulling out my blanket I discovered a slight layer of moisture beneath. Unsure of whether this is my own trapped moisture, moisture from leaves, or the ground.

Things I would do different are a tighter hammock hang to avoid so much sag. Also more leaves. Not for the heat but for a better distribution of the padding. They ended up a smidgen off centered after being compressed and I had to sleep slightly awkwardly to have them under me.

Anyway, gonna make some breakfast I guess.
>>
>>938033
Awesome that you tried this man! I might be going overnight camping next week in Sweden, will probably stick to more conventional methods as temps might drop to -10C.

Do you think the layer of moisture might have evaporated if you were further off the ground? Could it just be dew?
>>
>>938225
Sorry anon, it wasn't dew, it was piss
>>
>>938225
It may just be dew but don't think so since my covering tarp was very low and no moisture on top of me. My best guess is my body's moisture from my backside being wicked to the outer layer as far as it can go. The tarp doesn't really allow for moisture transfer so it would wick through my clothes and the blanket and theb be trapped. It was almost like the blanket had been spritzed lightly with a cleaner spray or the like. Just a spray or two worth. I'm going to try this again and see if the results are repeatable. Will use more leaf filler to see how much warmer I can get. I only gathered leaves for like 20 minutes for last night.
>>
>>938266
Sounds like condensed perspiration to me. You're using a poly tarp? There's just no place else for that sweat to go.
>>
>>938694
Indeed. I am pleased that it was not enough to affect my sleep but would like to rectify the situation. Waiting to see what the other anon comes up with in regards to the tyvek bivvy and depending on how they fare may venture in that direction.
>>
>>938773
Reporting!

I haven't had a chance to get into that yet. I can tell you though, that I do use a tyvek bivvy on a regular basis, and that condensation isn't an issue with that. Ultimately, the only thing that would be changing would be the addition of the leaves, which may provide a condensation point, but would still provide adequate insulation for at least one night, and of course would be discarded when you break camp.

If I'm doing this, I'm probably only doing it once, so I'll need to order some soft-structure 14-S and break out the sewing machine. It'll probably be at least a month.
>>
Sounds great if you live waffling up covered in spiders from the leaves you tart
>>
>>938935
>thinking spiders aren't everywhere anyway

>>938924
Roger that.
>>
This is going to sound stupid. But why not have an inflatable UQ? It doesn't have to bear weight, just make an air barrier. Don't inflate it all the way and it'll conform to your body shape
>>
>>939006
Wouldn't convective exchange make that less effective than having a fill?

Check out >>939011
>>
>>939006
A similar idea was floating around my own mind. I was thinking about using a large contractor trash bag as a cheap air pad. Has anyone tried something like this?

>>939013
Could you elaborate on this in regards to the situation at hand for slow folks like myself?
>>
>>939006
If my underquilt isn't hung right, any air gap at all makes me cold. An inflatable pad would never be able to conform properly to the shape of a hammock. There's a reason why it hasn't been tried. It just would never work.

>>940887
You'd never be able to keep air inside what's essentially a garbage bag.
>>
>>936013
this looks lovely
>>
>>940896
Keeping the air in is definitely the challenge but I think it could be approached. In regards to removing the air gap, if the pad is inserted between layers of the hammock and not hung it would be trapped against you removing the air gap.
>>
>>940887
What I was referring to is the convection inside the air mattress. one side is cold, the other warm, but unlike a CCF pad, the air moves back and forth between the two, so it doesn't insulate particularly well.

Air pads can make a decent barrier when used directly against snow for instance, but you'd still want to use another pad on top of it.
>>
>>940930
Gotcha. What do you think about a space blanket used on the outside of an air pad to provide thermal reflectivity to potentially assist?
>>
Tent
>>
>>941011
That would increase the reflectivity of radiant heat by probably 80% or better, but the convective heat loss would only be marginally improved, if at all.

You really should employ some method of preventing each type of thermal loss. Imagine pulling a brat off the grill and wrapping it in aluminium foil. The radiant reflectivity of the aluminium should keep it warm, but the thermal conductivity of the aluminium allows heat to pass right through it. You could wrap it in a paper towel instead, which provide some insulation, but the radiant heat will pass right through the paper towel and it'll still get cold. Now, if you wrap it in the paper towel and then wrap it in the aluminium foil, the paper towel provides insulation and the foil reflects the radiant heat. Science! It keeps your wiener warm!
>>
>>940925
People do that all the time. It's not an inflatable underquilt, it's just a sleeping pad. It's one of the benefits of a double layer hammock.
>>
>>938033
What the hell were you using that you sagged to the ground? I've slept dozens of nights on a hammock and never, ever had this happen.
>>
>>937681
Are you just using a tarp as a hammock? Wtf is that material?
>>
This thread is actually spastic
>>
>>941261
Thank you for this post I found it helpful.

>>941284
Truth.

>>941285
>>941287
The material is a basic 9x12 poly tarp. I didn't have any stretching of the material so I must have just sucked at hanging the damn thing. I didn't center the knots on the tree and as they did so naturally it created slack. I don't have tons of hammock experience. All of my prior camping has been done in tents and with pads and sleeping bags. I'm learning though and this has been a fun way to do so.
>>
>>941535
You really, really need a different hammock fabric.

You shouldn't use waterproof material as a tarp. It needs to breathe. That's where your condensation came from.

Look up how to make a tablecloth hammock. There's companies that sell nice tablecloth material that's basically premade in the right shape for a hammock, and the material is the right stretch and weight bearing for a hammock. You just need to "whip" the ends, which is just a fancy way of saying tying a knot around the fabric.

Lots of guides online for it, so just good "tablecloth hammock" and you'll be good.

Also, your straps may be the culprit. You want straps made for hammocking, or at least a material with no stretch at all. Even straps with the tiniest amount of stretch can sag several inches overnight.

I appreciate your DIY spirit, good choices of material will go a long ways to a comfortable set up.
>>
>>941570
Thanks for the feedback. The straps are made for hammocks so I truly did just tie off poorly. I will take a look at the tablecloth situation for sure. However, one of the reasons I am using a tarp is its ability to make other shelters from it. The kit is designed to be multipurpose and to a certain extent novel. I want to be able to use this one kit to experiment with various shelter scenarios and will mostly be camping with it for single nights and complimentary weather. But this is definitely also serving as a staging point to reconnect with scouting and personal experience so that when I build my contemporary any weather/scenario kit it will be well thought out and based off real scenarios.

Just for shenanigans I feel like posting my pack breakdown to see what you think. My frame is a folding camp stool measuring 18.5" x 12.5". My hammock straps double as pack straps. On the frame I have so far my wool blanket, 9' x 12' poly tarp, and 8' x 10' poly tarp. They are attached with flat bungees to the frame. I am awaiting on the arrival of a 6.5" x 24" stuff sack for my clothing. My water/first aid/fire kit is build around a condor h20 pouch that I wear over my shoulder. Debating on alternative attachment methods.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?
>>
>>941635
It's all about what you're doing. If you're planning multi-day hike-ins with short stays, you'd probably be a lot more comfortable with less weight; if you're staying for longer periods and don't have to hike as far to get there, carrying more gear for comfort on-site could be better for you.

For what you have there, and presuming that you'll carry food and water, I'd say that looks like it'd be okay for anywhere from a 1-3 mile hike and a 2-3 night stay. If that's about what you're expecting to do, that's a pretty decent setup.
>>
>>941570
Just realized I said "should use waterproof material as a tarp ".....

The only thing you want to use as a tarp is waterproof lol.... I meant to say HAMMOCK.

I'm drunk
>>
>>941635
I too like multi purpose stuff, but sometimes the benefit of being useful in many ways, is outweighed by it not excelling in any way.

Aka, Jack of all trades master of none.

I think you'd be much better served by carrying a dedicated tarp, which can be used over a hammock, or set up as a tent.

Also carry a dedicated hammock. While not entirely useful other ways, it can serve as a chair as well.

Then carry a sleeping mat or pad. It can be used in the hammock, or on the ground as insulation.

Just carry webbing for hammock suspension. A marlin spike hitch and some webbing is ideal. The webbing can be used many ways too.

As for webbing as pack straps, after 10 miles your shoulders won't be happy. You want padded straps. A dedicated backpack would probably be lighter anyways.
>>
>>941635
Post pics or it didn't happen.

I mean I probably happened, but post anyways.
>>
File: 20170131_150215.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170131_150215.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>941804
I managed to put two and two together despite my own inebriation but thank you for the clarification nevertheless.

>>941808
I appreciate this post and definitely want to improve my setup in any way it can but part of this build is the diy novelty factor. And keep in mind it is for single night fun camps in generally ideal conditons. I figured it is a good setting to use the low end of stuff. After this kit is finalized I'm getting back to my full primitive kit development. I didn't want to let this year slip by me though and since for reasons all my old gear is gone except for an ancient sleeping bag I am building this kit to take advantage of 2017.

Regarding webbing and comfort...we shall see if it becomes an issue but it is easy to diy padding should it become one. I am not very worried though since weight isn't crazy and I've used basic paracord line straps (not braided or anything) to decent success and webbing is waaaay better.

>>941810
Pic. Straps are in the green bag and didn't feel like taking them out. As stated still waiting on my long stuff sack for clothes.
>>
>>942230
For the random fun overnight with a short hike in (which to be honest is the majority of my camping), I can see how it could be fun to try and DIY everything on a budget.

Reminds me of the $50 Walmart challenge... or something to that effect. Basically you take like $50 and go to Walmart and buy everything you need for a day or 2. Includes food and shelter and something to carry it in.
>>
>>942288
Definitely something in that vein of thought with the Walmart challenge. My original idea started with a molle pack insert being used as a flexible pack frame but moved to the camp chair because due to space the molle was not really effective as molle ands therefore served no real purpose. The camp chair at least functions in addition to being a frame. I would like to try the same setup but with contemporary materials and see what it looks like.
>>
>>942306
Contemporary materials is wrong term. Really mean manufactured gear.
>>
Feel like posting this because haven't done it even for myself yet.

Hammock/pack straps - $8.97
Stool/frame - $24.79
Bungees - $10.00
Wool Blanket - $31.95
9x12 Tarp - $17.04
8x10 Tarp - $18.31
6.5x24 Stuff Sack(on the way) - $14.95

Total - $126.01

Not too bad all things considered. Does not include condor kit prices obviously.
>>
File: IMG_1739.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1739.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>934839
I'd rather just bring the underquilt since it doesn't weigh shit and saves me the time of building a leaf pile
>>
>>942324
Where'd you get all that, specifically the tarp. I just bought an el cheap hammock with a mozzie net and could not find a fucking tarp to save myself. Might be because I'm in kangarooland but link anyway please?
>>
>>943287
All purchased via Amazon. The tarps are made by Kotap. Both 12x12 weave 8mil.
>>
>>942324
Payed this price for an Expedition Asym.

The Supershelter is the minimal size/weight with the widest performance range UQ solution.

Shoveling snowbanks is when a hammock bivouac is appropriate, below 15-20 Fahrenheit with above 30 mph winds.
>>
>>943377
The boat is here. >>721129531 You seem to have missed it.
>>
>>943351
Thanks mate!
>>
Hey anons I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hammock straps. I'm looking for something nice and thick, non-stretch, preferably 1 inch to 1.5 inch, and without any loops or none of that fancy shit. Just looking for some good ole webbing. At least 25 feet would be ideal.

I've been looking around inside of hardware stores but the webbing they typically sell are too thin and the stitching kinda sucks. Mostly walmart and home depot quality. Shopping online to no avail either. I've tried the Country Brook webbing on Amazon but they stretch too much.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>
>>943824
Dutchwaregear.com
Makeyourgear.com
Ripstopbytheroll.com
>>
>>943862
Thanks anon.
>>
>>934839
I use emergency blankets under my tent, self inflating mattress, sleeping bag then another emergency blanket - I've often thought about hammock setups though
>>
File: clark_na.jpg (23KB, 610x360px) Image search: [Google]
clark_na.jpg
23KB, 610x360px
my hammock has a great solution for this. has six large pockets under me that can be filled with clothing or leaves. keeps me warm enough down to about 0 c with a light bag as a duvet. can recommend, but i would get the newer models with poles as it can get a bit claustrophobic inside in really moist weather.
>>
>>945994
The Clark is cool, but I personally prefer a dedicated underquilt. Still, the Clark has some really unique features that make it pretty cool.
>>
guys, with my last year equipment I could do an overnight at +13°C. It was pretty warm, but at 4:30am, there was a gust of wind that made me think I'm freezing to death. Then again it was ok for the rest of the night. Now I am looking for a warmth solution to go down to +8°C so I can go a month earlier.

my last year equipment was
>one layer parachute hammock & tarp
>a thin rubber foam pad and a small pillow
>sweatshirt, t-shirt, jeans, socks, sleeping bag

now I've planned to add
>thermal underpants (package states a range of -5 to +10°C without moving)
>a hoodie

will this do the trick? should I add a thermal shirt or dump the additional clothing and start sewing an underquilt (no budget left) ?
>>
>>948108
Just get a better foam pad. They're not expensive at all. You'd spend much more in materials to make an underquilt.

You can also get a sleeping bag liner for cheap. Will get you a little lower temps, but won't solve much for insulation under you.
>>
>>948166
The ones I have seen in the sport outlet looked uncomfortable and felt not nice on the skin.
I am very happy with the warmth/weight ratio of the rubber foam, how soft it is and how it feels on the skin. but it was pretty expensive, too. like $60. I will check the price of the thicker pad when I'm next time near the store. I think it was actually noise isolation pad.
>>
OP here. After much pondering I have decided to attempt a diy inflatable air pad using duct tape, a water bottle, plastic sheeting, and a mylar blanket. The reason for this aside from novelty is to add more convenient functionality to my kit as well as versatility.

If successful the pad can be used both in hammock and improvised tarp tent situations. It will occupy a minimal space and even have other possible functions. The air seal will be a flattened disposable water bottle top which means it can connect to my Sawyer Mini. The entire bag could be hung up and used as a gravity filter if needed. It could also be turned into a single man shelter of its own by splitting three seams and setting it up as an A-frame. Anyway. I will be putting it together tomorrow barring unforseen circumstance and will share pics with y'all.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

>>948108
>>948166
I would still add the thermals and hoodie. The extra layer makes a huge difference and the benefit of a hoodie instead of a sweatshirt is that glorious neck and head warmth. But that's just my 2 cents.
>>
>>951216
OK MacGyver imma need pics of this
>>
>>943824
I know I'm late, but I made my straps from a $5 pack of 1" webbing with metal clips from walkmart. Cut off the clips, sew loops down one side, single loop in the end. $5, 2 straps.

>>951216
Concerned about the structural integrity of mylar/plastic sheeting held together with duct tape, and the health concerns of using any of those for storing drinking water.

But mostly, I just came back because I found a reasonably priced source for the 14S I was telling you about before. I'm still planning on building a debris bivvy, but I still have other things I want to do first. I'll at least order enough extra when I get to the point of needing it for some other gear I'm making shortly. http://questoutfitters.com/uncoated_fabrics.htm#TYVEK
>>
>>951260
Will supply indeed.

>>951271
Your concerns are mirrored on this end. The water situation would be for emergencies really since I would lose my sleep pad but I think would suffice in such a setting. As for duability....we will just have to find out in a little bit I guess. Also thank you for the link!
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.