[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

you need this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: zippo-4-in-1-woodsman-4.gif.jpg (33KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
zippo-4-in-1-woodsman-4.gif.jpg
33KB, 650x366px
you need this?
>>
No, I am not retarded.
>>
why?
>>
>>934437
cos is a good idea?
>>
>>934431
these are horribly rated on both amazon and multiple forums. it appears they fall apart through regular use (not even abuse)
never touched one myself, so i can't say.
>>
>>934431
No. I don't hate future generations so much that I feel the need to destroy their forests
>>
>>934431
Just looking at his thing without actually handlling one, this is my take on it:
The grip for the saw doesn't look very ergonomic, extended use would probably be uncomfortable; the handle of the axe while using the saw is at such an angle that most of the saw blade would be useless if you're cutting anything thicker than 4"; The channel the blade folds into would probably cause a lot of blistering, but it doesn't look like there's anything actually holding the saw blade into the handle when using the axe anyway, so your blisters should get drained pretty quick.

Who makes this shit? BG, survival actor extraordinaire?
>>
>a sword cannot cut itself
>>
>>934431
No but it helps as it does a better job sectioning wood than my cock
>>
>>934662
Perhaps you should use it to section your cock?
>>
You don't need an axe innawoods.

Some people do, in some specific circumstances.
Walking around in a forest for two weeks or less is not one of them.
>>
>>934858
How do you prepare the wood? You'd have to carry a saw and I'd prefer an axe over a saw
>>
>>934863
in fragile wilderness areas you shouldn't be collecting wood for a campfire to begin with
in non-fragile areas there's usually going to be sufficient downed wood that you can gather wood and do the break-it-between-two-trees trick if you can't do it with your hands

you don't need wood to heat your meals; a camp stove and fuel weighs less than an axe

if you're snow camping that's a different beast
>>
>>934580
I was thinking a lot of the same things. Anything thicker than a couple inches and you can only really use 1/3 of the blade.

>>934551
Two other things concern me- hacksaw blades are normally kept under a bit of tension and it just seems like that axe cover would do a poor job. And with that, not sure how long the plastic part over the axe head could hold up without getting really loose or completely failing.
>>
>>934431
How is this better then my chainsaw and axe?
>>
I thought it was a bow and axe.
>>
>>935011
Interesting points. I'm the guy who advocates against carrying any sort of wood processing tools, so I actually didn't know that about blade tensioning. At any rate, multi-tools of any sort tend to be less effective at any job than dedicated tools anyway.

There was someone who was talking about make a tensioned bow frame out of wood found on site. If anyone has that pic, that'd be a great alternative to this piece of junk (you know, if you actually need a saw, that is).
>>
>axe
>anything but a wooden handle
LMOA
>>
>>935020
>Openly criticizes others for not knowing wood is better.
>Doesn't know why wood is better, so can't embelish.

I bet your parents are so proud of you.
>>
>>935019
You can get those mostly composite hacksaws anyway and it would probably be lighter than most hatchets and more useful in most instances but it doesn't look quite so "bushcraftmaster" so I can see why people go for a small axe instead.

Or the improvised hacksaw like you were talking about. If you can make them well, the blades are super compact and light.
>>
>>935024
That's kind of what I was thinking.

On the subject of axes though, isn't it the weight that makes them effective? Seems like a lighter hatchet wouldn't be worth the weight reduction over a axe.
>>
File: DSCF4202.jpg (159KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4202.jpg
159KB, 640x480px
>>935019
I think it was me. Basically you can make a very decent frame saw with the little saw of your swiss army knife.
It would be something like this
>>
>>935027
Yeah! That's what I was talking about. I could see myself using this if I were processing wood for anything other than fire. The weight to efficacy ratio of that is amazing for anyone looking to stay a while and build stuff.
>>
>>935023
not who you were talking to, but the anon didn't embellish; doesn't mean he can't

i'll do it for him:
metal, fiberglass, and any plastic hard enough to take an axe-level beating transmit force directly to the palm a hell of a lot more than wood. wood handles take a lot of the reverberation, making it a lot easier to swing harder and use the tool for longer.
fiberglass and plastic also tend to snap in frozen conditions
>>
>>934551
>>935011
my understanding is that there's a groove in the handle into which the saw nestles. the latch at the bottom knob allows the user to un-tension/unhook the saw and reinsert it along the handle.

i still think the tool is a POS and the groove is uncomfy for hands and weakens the handle itself
>>
>>935033
Sounds about right. Probably created by someone who never actually goes out, but that's okay really, because that's the only kind of people who would buy it.

>>935030
Thank you for improving the thread; I'm just not a fan of trolls on /out/. Most of us try to keep this a pretty helpful and productive exchange of information. If something needs to be corrected, fine, if you have to be a dick to make a point, fine, just don't be a dick and still not make a point.
>>
>>935028
Yes I think this is really the best option as far as saws go in the woods. I can make it in 10 minutes with sticks and the frame saw is the best saw there is as you can always add tension to the blade and it's indestructible.
However I always have with me a hatchet, it doesn't have to be the ridiculous GB hand hatchet but neither a 2kg axe. My favorite hatchet is a very old hand made Italian tomahawk-like hatchet, head is 700 grams (1 1/2 lb) and handle is 70cm or 28" long, I posted it in the axe thread.

Here is a video about the saw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go5NT6e7AZ8
>>
>>935043
Thanks, I'll check that out!

I'm looking for a good chain of lakes to hit this summer, preferably something very difficult to get to, so keeping light is going to be a huge deal. I don't carry a multi though, how difficult do you think it would be to make the notches with the saw blade itself?
>>
>>935045
I think it would be difficult but not impossible because that is a very rough saw meant to cut green timber as fast as possible. As I said a victorinox is a damn good tool to have and it serves the purpose, I have the "farmer" type as in pic. The knife is not the best knife but it's stainless and it's good for food, the saw is actually very good for jobs like this and making notches, and it has a pretty good awl that also works as a drill.

But you don't really need the saw you can do this with any knife or axe, the only problem would be that you would not have a kerf to put the sawblade in, you'd have to split the wood.
In the blade holes you can put sticks or nails, I always carry couple of nails
>>
>>935050
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCE_wMfHD3M
I just found this video, it's actually good. Only thing I don't like is the batoning, he could have done without, and could have used a sharper blade
>>
>>935050
That makes sense. I'd have to check the weight of the knife and blade against the weight of a whole bow saw to see if it would be worth the additional tool. I'm thinking about hiking the chain from Bandera to Scenic. Anyone know if there's much fish through there? Last time I was in that area it was pretty early in the year, the lake kept freezing over, and all I caught was a 3" trout.
>>
>>935057
That's Washington, btw...
>>
>>934858
How do you find out if wood is is dry or not? Hack into it a little bit. You just saved the energy of sawing all the way through that 8 inch diameter log just to find out its soaked and frozen.
>>
>>937096
do you not have a knife or sharp rock to scrape on it?
>>
>>934431
I don't need shit.
>>
>https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-44032-4-In-1-Woodsman/dp/B00BIV90TW
>Full tang stainless steel axe blade
>axe
>tang
What.
>>
>>934863
>>937096
I almost never light a campfire innawoods unless i'm bringing friends, or maybe if theres a fire pit. I have a stove to make my food, and a bag to keep me warm though so I never need fire on my hikes.

If I really need a fire I can honestly get it started with wood broken by hand, some tinder, and if I feel lazy I use the alcohol from my stove. You just gotta build up your fire, its hard but definitely possible without an axe.
>>
>>937474
I disagree, it's way easier to snap a branch by hand than it is to hack away at logs with an axe, not to mention, you know, carrying the unnecessary axe.
>>
YES I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAAtbhWgYWk
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.