[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living off the back yard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: frugel.jpg (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
frugel.jpg
8KB, 284x177px
Is it possible to grow seasonal crops throughout the year in a nicely sized backyard ( in New Zealand) that could sustain all need to actually purchase veges.

>If so, what are the better crops for each so to grow that provide the necessary nutrition and volume to provide meals year round.
>>
>>934410
see
>>927684

Yes, you can, but you may need to redo your diet.

See:

http://nutritiondata.self.com
http://www.whfoods.com/

To better answer your question. In both above links, just search the vegetable name in their search box.
>>
>>934440
Thanks, was searching for something along the likes of that.
>>
>>934410
I remember seeing an Aussie's Youtube channel about doing just that. Seemed like a 'burb-sized backyard, too; so that's probably what you're looking for. Try searching around for aquaponic gardening. In one ep, his fish die and he uses them as fertilizer, that's the channel if you can find it.

Personally, I'd recommend devoting a small section to soy, pumpkin and corn(maize) grown together and tight, they're symbiotic; the whole of all three plants (fruit, leaf and stalk) dried, pulverized and mixed together can be used as feed for rabbits, chicken or fish (or anything, really, but those are best for backyards) and provide all their necessary nutrients at the highest production per sqft I've mathed for.
>>
>>934444
And it'd probably be a good idea to look into vermiculture (worm bins), especially if you're doing fish or chicken with your garden.
>>
Cabbage is good, you can easily preserve it as sauerkraut.
>>
>>934410
Learn how to can things, it'll be important and it's not hard
>>
My mom actually used to do these kinds of things when I was young and money wasn't our strongest side.
We had a pretty big backyard and she was in it almost every day, whether it was tending to the leek, potatoes or whatever the hell else.
We never bought vegetables, aside from potatoes and we lived quite a nice life.
It is completely possible, just depends on your dedication and amount of time on your hands. Oh it also depends on the size of your backyard, weather and how good your fertilizer is.
>>
>>934410
No. You cant grow certain vegs in new zealand. If the question is if you can do it in new zealand... Then yes.... Get a fucking indoor grow done and grow everything you want all year round.... Dont be a fucking dumb cunt us google fucker
>>
>>934788
Do plants not grow there? What do the animals eat? OMG, are there not any animals either?
>>
>>934868
no sentient life of any kind
>>
>>934410
You can be nicely supplied on 1/4 of an acre of land. On my 1/2 acre I have raised beds separating my plants, and do some improvised greenhouses with plastic covers. I also raise chickens and rabbits for meat and eggs. I let them pretty much have free roam of the garden and I never had a worry of pest in my garden like slugs and the rabbits fertilize and clear out the weeds, and I do allow them to casually munch on some of my plants.

It's a worthy investment.
>>
>>935711
>chickens and rabbits for meat and eggs
Are all rabbit eggs chocolate or is that just a myth?
>>
>>935726
I would imagine that it's all about the breed, like how, in regards to cows, Holsteins make whole milk and Brown Swiss make Chocolate milk.
>>
>>934410

Basically, yes. Obviously you'll need to know which vegetables are compatible with your region, etc.

The best approach is to start gardening as a hobby, then expand it to a homestead, and then slowly work to eliminate needing to buy stuff from a store.

For winter, you'll need some kind of plan. Either a greenhouse (for fresh veggies), or growing foods that store well like grains and winter squash, or have a fall canning/drying/pickling phase where you learn to store stuff up for the winter. That all takes some planning and experience. If you do raised bed (square foot) gardening, then you can make greenhouse boxes to do some season extending. Adding an extra month to the beginning and end of the growing season in some regions can get you to or close to year-round gardening even without a greenhouse.

All this takes experience. You don't just jump into it.

Finally, what to grow. Don't fall into the trap of trying to pick three crops that give you all your nutrients. Variety is fun and also gives you robustness against disease, parasites, unusual weather, pests, etc. It doesn't stress your soil as much as one variety which consumes the same nutrients every planting. It lets you adapt to things as the seasons change. So grow lots and lots of stuff and learn to cook with it.
>>
>>935739
My mom has done this for the last three years and never actually uses any of it. In my garden, I grow mostly tomatoes because I eat a lot of salads in the summer.

It makes more sense in my perspective to start out with what you know you'll use, that it does to try to cook with stuff you once passingly thought "I'll want this in a few months".
>>
>>934410

My great grandma grew all her own food in Westport on the West Coast.
>>
if the neighbors spray paint their house it's a wrap, you have to trash it all because paint on leafs. fucking spics man
>>
>>935711
How do you keep your rabbits from destroying your garden? I've heard chickens can also be pesky
>>
>>936250
I'd make them pay for my groceries for a month.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.