[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gear Discussion Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15

File: 11139_32253_57.jpg (65KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
11139_32253_57.jpg
65KB, 600x400px
Post your favourite pieces of equipment for your disciplines.

Rock climbing
>Arc'teryx Aperture Chalk bag.
>secure and very compact

Daily outdoors activity / Light hiking
>Mammut Orford Jacket
>Many pockets - reasonably light (690g)

Also:
I have hardly ever seen Mammut gear being worn in North America.
>Are they not popular in the Americas?
>Why?
>>
always thought it was a euro brand. but really good. love my infinity dry rope.
>>
>>934353
You see them in the skiing and climbing communities. I've got a pair of side zip rain pants and an 8.7 rope from them I like a lot. Wife has a Mammut climbing harness she likes too.
>>
>>934353
Bushcraft and survival
>Big ass swede saw (35 inches or so), makes life 100 times easier
>$2 Chinese ferrocerium rod, very soft, just how I like it
>Big Bill 100% wool bib coveralls, breathable, warm, extremely water resistant, fire retardant
>Wetterlings bushman, the round handle shape and unusually light head makes it a little poorly balanced for giant full swings but unmatched in lighter, more fine work including limbing
>>
>>934353
your chalk bag is most likely to die in 2 ways
>destroyed while chimney climbing
>lost; in the woods, gym, whatever
i got my chalk bag (and a couple spares) for $5US a piece at a surplus store. packs down and perfectly fits a beer.
i can't justify spending real money on a damn pouch. harnesses are the place to invest the shekels
>>
File: ABESU14265-APERTURE-CHALK-BAG-S.jpg (517KB, 780x1099px) Image search: [Google]
ABESU14265-APERTURE-CHALK-BAG-S.jpg
517KB, 780x1099px
>>934381
>>934414
In can not speak for the skiing community, but even in climbing circles i rarely see Mammut gear in North America (usually the ones who do are indeed from Europe). Marmot, Mountain Hardwear...are understandibly more common.
>but still it somewhat baffles me.
>they are not all too much more expensive than comparable brands.

>>934556
Chimney climbing
>if you do not attach the bag to the harness itself, moving it around is an option. Thus never happend to me.
Lost
>everything can be lost. To me, not an argument.

The many times chalk has spilled (even small amounts) in my bag has prompted me to go for a more secure solution. Especially when gym bouldering, i tend to carry my gear in my regular messenger bag with all my other stuff (PC, books, etc.). 20EUR is not what i consider an exorbitant amount.

My current harness is a
>Beal Instinct Sport
Basically a cheaper version of the Arc'teryx harnesses, which i could not justify spending EUR150. More comfortable and compact than more expensive harnesses i have tried (Petzl, Mammut, etc.).
>we all have different priorities.
>>
>>934623
i don't attach it to the harness, but especially on lead i'm not gonna mess about with it mid-climb. id think that the almost diaphanous material of that bag would die fast rubbing. that's why you see those ballistic-nylon lookin ones all the time. i'm betting sandstone/granite chimney's aren't your local stone?
i've haven't had a problem getting chalk inside the bag. the closure on the cheapies is fine. i do always keep my climbing gear separate because i don't wanna keep shoes with computer/papers.
do you boo boo; i've had the same harness for 10yrs, and it was the cheap newbie base-model one. it's served me well but i wish i'd spent the extra on the harness. everything else is effectively disposable through attrition.

i see mammut gear occasionally. it's way over-priced here. on patagonia tier without the patagucci factor. i like the mammut stuff i've played with, but i've always found something just as good for less.
>>
>>934813
>fragile materials
I am sure this might influence rubbing related durability. But in my experience Arc'teryx is very reliable with their lifetime CS, so i felt confident.

>sandstone
My local stone is indeed sandstone, but i never chimney up cracks so narrow that my i truely have to squeeze. We'll see once i have the chance to truely put it through extreme scenarios.
I do not seperate my gear from work content. Only my shoes usually dangle from a carabiner attached to the bag.

If you aren't happy with your harness why don't you replace it?
>Also 10 years is way over recommended lifetime of safety-related climbing equipment.

>Mammut
I never knew they were more expensive in North America.
>in Europe a softshell goes for around EUR200-300 new.
I have always found that the only major brand which rivals Pata' in its 'Gucci'-factor is Arc'.
>Arc' Veilance - quite cocky
>I cannot really think of any European outdoor brand which has the amount of luxury appeal as those two N.American brands. Although brands like Mammut apparently play in similar price brackets.
>>
>>934920
i really should replace the harness. i inspect it regularly and it lives in a light-proof bag so i know it's not getting degraded. i was thinkin the safe-tec... i want something blatantly bombproof that i can sit in all day. not really worried about weight.
i also keep my belay device and some odds n ends on the harness so i wouldn't want that metal clanking against non-climbing things anyway. if i had to live all day out of the same bag i'd probably figure out something similar.

yah, arcteryx is damn spendy too. to my mind mammut is a closer to north face in terms of quality. it's slightly better designed but the materials aren't as awesome as arcteryx or (occasionally) patagonia

a lot of my local stuff has deep dihedrals or shallow chimneys, so even if it's not sustained some rubbing is gonna happen on most days out
>>
>>934353
i was deciding between a mammut and deuter backpack. mammut was really comfortable. but i went for the deuter. mammut i've only seen irl used by german tourists.
>>
I need a good backpack... Here are the features I'm looking for:
>hydration pouch
>waist belt
>loops on outside to tie snowshoes and/or hiking poles to
>20 to 30 liters in capacity
>>
>>935013
A lower size Osprey Kestrel
>>
>>935013
rei flash 22?
>>
>>935071
>>935078
Anything with more than one pocket?

Looks like the Flash 22 doesn't have the daisy chains anymore, that sucks. The trail 25 looks pretty decent though.
>>
>>934353
I just bought a Mammut Tomyhoi jacket for when I move up to Oregon. I'll be working outside in the spring and my boss told me to prep for snow, rain, wind and a degree range from 0 to 30 F. How did I do?
>>
>>934353
mora robust for camping and basic bushcraft
>>
File: shameless skeleton.gif (1MB, 150x100px) Image search: [Google]
shameless skeleton.gif
1MB, 150x100px
>>934353
>sven saw 21"
light, processes big wood. with it and a knife i can carve a mallet and a wedge and get after larger wood processing.
used it to build blocks from downed wood for recovering my friend's truck when we got stuck 4wheeling on acid. ok, he was sober, i was not, and i got us out being creative

>woobie (poncho liner)
hands down best blanket ever. heresy i know but better than wool, especially by weight

>mora woodcarving knife
i use this thing all the goddamn time and it's still probably my favorite knife. i have better choppers for sure, but i love this thing for shaping wood.

>gerber suspension multitool
sharpens incredibly well, has all the capability of a leatherman for half the price or less
>>
>>934353
>>Arc'teryx Aperture Chalk bag.
wtf why u not make ur own
>>
>>935007
>mammut
....is a swiss brand. my experience with swiss products: they are all very basic and a bit overpriced. maybe mammut changed this.
>>
File: aether-60-midnight-blue-web_8.jpg (64KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
aether-60-midnight-blue-web_8.jpg
64KB, 600x902px
>>935002
>harness
I personally would not really trust my harness after so many years. Even if it were still in good shape due to general material fatigue.
>do what you feel is ok.

>high end prices
In terms of price i that Patagonia is by far not as expensive as Arc'teryx
>A shell from Arc is generally over 300/400. But the lightweight-ness of their shells is incredible.
>A shell from Pata is in available in the 200 range.
Also in my experience all major outdoor brands use some Gore-Tex Pro/Lite derivative. So it is more which 'design' implementation of those fabrics you prefer.
>I am partial to Arc's aesthetics, but do not like their lack of pockets.

>Mammut
I have never owned TNF gear and can not comment on their quality. Only know that they have become a lot more mainstream (not unlike Pata).
>Anybody got some comparisons?
>Mammut seems somewhat more expensive in some regards.

Osprey
>Waiting for them to replace their Aether series. I have info from a few independent stores that they are awaiting a refresh.

>>935173
>why don't you build your own car?

>>935175
Any other Swiss brands you are thinking about?
>>
>>935150
You did good. It'll keep you warm but get a shell for rain. The DWR will only see you through light sprinkles and if it gets soaked not even the synthetic down will keep you that warm.
>>
Looking for a day pack. I had a Jansport katahdin that served me well, as well as some Columbia backpack that was kinda boring. I live right next to the Patagonia headquarters, but everything I read says that their quality went to shit recently.

Kinda considering just blowing a couple hundred on a Mission Workshop or Inside Line Equipment bag. I like the cycling heritage they have, and the lifetime guarantee. I don't want to have to buy a new bag every few years.
>>
>>935324
Patagonia quality went to shit.
>i can imagine considering their mainstream appeal nowadays
>where did you read?
>>
>>935340
Are you reverse green texting?
I wanted a belt they make, but read the reviews for it, and everyone said the old stuff was better. Same story for the backpacks.
>>
File: harq.jpg (31KB, 640x330px) Image search: [Google]
harq.jpg
31KB, 640x330px
Comment on my AT loadout, senpais!

https://lighterpack.com/r/fc647f
>>
>>935324
I've been very happy with my Osprey and Deuter backpacks.
>>
>>935324
Pic related is awesome. It has more serious straps and belts than most daypacks. I got a 25l one in the summer and adore it. Osprey also has a lifetime wear and tear warranty.
>>
>>935902
Too bulky looking. I prefer my packs tall and close to my back for better centre of gravity.
>>
File: pack.jpg (4MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
pack.jpg
4MB, 2992x4000px
>Osprey Atmos 65
I've worn the shit out of this guy, all the padding is as flat as it gets. I'm excited to try the newer "AG" version. I'm kind of hoping I can invoke the guarantee and get one sent without giving up my old one.

>Black Diamond BDV Hoody
Pricey but I got one on sale. Loved it so much I bought several more when they were on massive discount (75% I think on REI). I think these went out of production since they're probably not all that great for climbers but as a trail runner it's the absolute perfect soft shell.

>Black Diamond Revolt
Seems like these are no longer in production but as someone who goes out after dark frequently it's really nice having a USB rechargeable headlamp.

>Kahtoola Microspikes
Not as penetrating as crampons but still incredibly useful, especially if you have the leg strength and technique to make them really work for you. I'm often stuck in a lot of mixed terrain so being able to take them off or put them back on in 15~ seconds is awesome.
>>
>>936442
How far does 65L get you?
>>
>>937543
To be honest I don't know, I'm not a backpacker. I use it for my job which is just a day hike but involves carrying around 40-60~lb of gear. Even used it during a rescue to carry a college age girl (110~lb)s out by loading her into it (feet sticking out the bottom).

The Osprey packs really do a great job of distributing the weight. I'd rather carry someone like her out via the backpack (with periodic switching off) then be one of 6 hands on a litter carry.

If I had to guess I could probably do 4-5 days with it, depending on water availability.
>>
Anyone know a website or youtube channel that does decent reviews on gear and apparel?
>>
Is this the consumerist thread?
>>
>>935340
>Patagonia quality went to shit.
I think they're still incredible. I have their thermal weight base layers, one night I was drunk as fuck and ripped my leg open on a nail when I fell off my porch, leg got a huge gash, but the base layer bottom didn't get a single hole or scratch. They just won't tear or wear out no matter what you do.
>>
File: 39461_GORG.jpg (73KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
39461_GORG.jpg
73KB, 750x750px
>>938442
What model are you refering to?
Can you compare with other brands.
>>
I can get a pair of these for like $40, yay or nay? Just for day hikes, not going to see any extreme innawoods use
>>
File: merrels.jpg (8KB, 270x174px) Image search: [Google]
merrels.jpg
8KB, 270x174px
>>939193
fuck
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-27-23-11-52.png (404KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-27-23-11-52.png
404KB, 720x1280px
What is the purpose of that cord?
I honestly have no idea, seems like decoration
>>
>>939266
The drawstring? Great for stashing a light jacket, thread it through and then pull it tight, especially great if your jacket is wet, you can potentially dry it off without having to wear it and not get all the stuff inside your pack wet.

On this pack the drawstrings run vertical so you could probably thread a light sleeping pad through it without it being in danger of falling out.

Alternatively just as a backup to secure something large to your pack. If I find myself in that situation I'll usually carabiner the object to one of the upper straps (in your case the handle or the two compression straps), this holds the weight of the object, then thread the object through the cords to help secure it so it's not flapping around.
>>
File: IMG_1413.jpg (575KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1413.jpg
575KB, 1920x1440px
Considering getting the Salomon ultra 2 gtx to start hiking, y/n?
>>
>>939322
Good if you don't have wide feet. Try them on first.
>>
>>939322
I lik... LOVED my old Salomons!

I do not like or love my new Salomons.

But who cares, what does that have to do with you and your feet?
>>
>>934353
>>934623
>>934920
>>935232
Your use of greentext triggered me so bad
>>
>>939485
It's like they're (he's) doing it wrong.

>there should be a rule
>like a Global Rule
>or General Order 24
>in 2 hrs Scotty, 2 hrs
>>
hows quality of tilak goretex jackets?
anyone have it?
>>
File: 1471407736573.jpg (587KB, 676x676px) Image search: [Google]
1471407736573.jpg
587KB, 676x676px
This seems like as good a place as any to ask, so here goes. I just got a job in Colorado, looking to move out in the next few months from Louisiana. Lived in Co until about 7th grade, so I'm no stranger to the cold, but I need to buy all new gear. What do you recommend for a set of long johns? I'm willing to spend premium for good quality considering my redneck ass is going to freeze otherwise
>>
>>940140
IMO, whatever polyester/fleece or merino/wool that fits you best. Merino stinks less if that is important to you, but polyester tends to be more durable. Just don't buy cotton.

Personally I fit best in Smartwool, Marmot and ArcTeryx, so I tend to go for one of those.
>>
>>939638
Any products that are genuine Gore-Tex have to be approved by Gore-Tex itself for quality, because Gore-Tex itself guarantees any product with the Gore-Tex label. So given that, basically anything that is genuine Gore-Tex should be pretty solid in terms of general quality - the difference will be in details like cut/fit/pockets/vents/etc.
>>
>>940881
Wish gore tex stuff wasn't like 300 minimum
>>
>>940958
Is it though?
I doubt gore-tex is all that expensive.
>>
>>941532
Dont know about you burgers but here in glorious uk you can pick up a quality gore berghaus or sprayway for £150, saw a paclite for 90 in a sale last year too
>>
>>941532
>>941632
Disregard I found a marmot for 150
>>
Gore-Tex is shit. I've had three different shells and they all soak through the same. Buy the $5 vinyl rain jacket from Walmart if you actually want to stay dry.
>>
>>941725
If they do not work whatsoever, how come they are a major brand in outdoor textiles?
>>
>>942063
Not sure, rich fuckers who like beautifully made products but don't spend much time outdoors.

Two weeks ago the temperature was just above freezing and I got caught in a downpour. I had a four hour hike to shelter and my pro-shell quickly soaked through. If I had to spend that night outside I would've been right fucked. Packing a small umbrella and a cheap vinyl shell now. Hopefully it works better. My gore-tex shell is a $400 Marmot, I don't trust it at all to keep me dry.
>>
>>942100
Anyone can back this up?
>>
>>943098
He got a defective unit or he's lying
>>
>>939193
I would do it, if you take care of the leather bits and they will last. I hiked the AT in them and they lasted the whole way.
>>
>>943098

>ITT: retards who don't read the label.

as someone who works in outdoor industry (cycling, in particular), I see a shitload of rain jackets, including gore-tex, come back with people complaining that they leak.
gore-tex is one of the best waterproof membranes out there, but it needs to be WASHED REGULARLY, or else dirt and debris will damage the pores of the membrane and ruin your fucking jacket.
>>
what are some axes?
>>
>>938442
do you know anything about the Patagucci harbor grande book bags? I'm looking for a daily commute bag with aesthetics
>>
>>943150
This and re-applying DWR periodically.
>>
>>938412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_tPh_0Brkg
>>
Any suggestions on a casual hooded rain jacket that will keep me somewhat warm with 2 hand pockets and at least one chest pocket (interior or exterior? Budget is 130us. I live in Northern New Jersey so chilly weather and rain
>>
>>939322
Wide toebox, narrow heel is most Salomons. These run middle of that road. Buying shoes is much easier when you know your foot shape
>>
>>934353
Mammut isn't super common because it's more expensive than a lot of domestic brands and they don't have as wide distribution. Mountain Hardwear, TNF, Patagonia and Marmot are basically everywhere. Mammut makes good stuff though. On par with Patagonia and Arc'teryx in quality (price too).
>>
got me a pair of these like them alot.
>>
>>935007
I've had the opposite experience, every tourist I see around seems to have a deuter on
>>
>>935232
TNF fleece owener. Its a polartec and worked fine with a base and a tee. Showerproof across the shoulders which also seems to work well. Bit expensive for what it was but I liked the fit etc.
>>
>>939322
goretex is always good.

I would be inclined to go for a boot type style though (obvs depending on the type of terrain and location your're hiking in). If you're just starting, boots may provide a better level of ankle protection/support.

My 2p's worth.
>>
>>935013
Arcteryx cierzo 28 has everything you need. REI has it on sale too for 25% off I believe.

Pretty comfy, killer pull to open/close feature, pretty lightweight.

Only thing is that it's not super durable at 210 denier.
>>
>>935013
If you go a little bit bigger, I have a Deuter Guide 35+ and it is fantastic.

It has a proper frame + hipbelt so it carries incredibly well for as much as I could pack it for. I normally use it on winter daytrips, but have done overnights as well in warmer weather.

I have tried simple / light backpacks before that save on weight by basically skipping on the frame + hipbelt, and they are only good for extremely light loads. I only like this style for genuinely small packs around 10-15L.
>>
>>947839
>210 dernier
>not super durable

Never had an osprey have you mate
>>
Any canteen suggestions?
>>
https://mountainsforeverybody.com/new-best-backpacking-backpacks-for-men-in-2017
>Totally revamped and highly anticipated Gregory and Osprey lines
>brand new light(er) Gregory line
>only one place actually discusses them
Where do you go to read reviews on new gear? Most major websites like Outside and Backpacker don't update quickly and I can't find reviews anywhere
>>
>>948545
I work at an /out/fitter so I just talk to reps, coworkers, customers, and pay attention to what comes back.

The only real big Osprey change is they're widening the use of the AG system.
>>
>>948546
They better have figured out how to get rid of the infernal squeak before they go throwing that stuff into everything.
>>
>>949544
I have no clue what causes that squeak but neither my kestrel nor my escapist have AG and they both squeak. And no, the squeak is not fixed.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.