[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Truck bed camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_3291.jpg (120KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3291.jpg
120KB, 736x552px
I came across truck bed camping not too long ago and it's piqued my interest. Does anybody have any personal experience pros/cons? Pic related.
>>
>>934300
Me and my dad slept in the back of the truck once with a cap on it. Well I slept there and he was in a tent but a huge ass storm came in and he got in the truck.

Crazy thing it doesn't vent well so if one of you rips a big fart it is gas city and it don't go away. My dad did it was bad for us both.
>>
File: DSC_0587.jpg (2MB, 1800x1205px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0587.jpg
2MB, 1800x1205px
I have a lot of experience, wouldn't do it any other way, but I've gone a ways past just sleeping on an inflatable mattress in the bed (that's how I started). What kind of truck do you have?
>>
>>934300
My truck has a permanent pvc canopy on a metal frame sort of like that.

Insulation is terrible, so is wind noise so choose parking carefully.

When its cold you will need a good blanket or three.

At first I'd just have cardboard as a sleeping mat/insulation. Then I ply lined the bed and got a foam mat.

Air mattress don't work for me because they're too soft and I keel tossing and turning.
A heavy blanket solves all of this and keeps you from moving.

Also jack stands, to keep the truck stable.

Everything else is pretty much like regular camping.
>>
Yes, I have slept in a truck
Pro: It is not the ground
Con: It is not a bed
>>
pros:
>you can put a bed in it and be comfy
>dont have to really set it up like a tent
>rain probably wont leak in unless you have a shit camper
>when not camping you can use the bed in the rain without shit getting wet
cons:
>expensive upfront cost
>cant carry it around to remote spots like a tent
>visibility when driving I guess?

thats all i can think of for now
>>
>>934300
Basically, it's the comfort/adventure tradeoff; If you like staying on public access roads and car camping, that'll be an awesome solution for you, you just need to make the accomodations necessary to fit what you want it to have. Personally I prefer hike-ins, so outfitting a comfy vehicle to stay in would disincentivise me from actually going out and seeing those secret waterfalls or fishing at that remote lake or running into the occasional bear that does the "what the fuck is that thing" look when it sees a human for the first time. It's all about what's important to you.
>>
>>934402
Is your tent built into your camper shell? I've got a ranger im looking to get a camper shell on and then maybe add a ladder rack, though something like your setup may work better?
>>
>>934931
Yeah it's called a Flippac. There's also the AT Tacoma Habitat. I like the Flippac more and it's much cheaper but I think they went out of business so you would have to buy used and replacement parts are tough to get.
>>
>>934574
>posts on /out/
>thinks sleeping in something other than a bed sucks
>>
>>934978
If you sleep 350 days in a bed and the remaining two weeks /out/, you will obviously be more used to the bed.
>>
>>934300
Camping for pansy, faerie pussies.
>>
>>934300
When I had a truck I made a PVC pipe skeleton, draped a big ass 10x12' tarp on it, and tied it down.

Put an inflatable life raft in the bed and sleep.

Fucking ruled the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in that fucker.
>>
If you don't already own a truck, I would suggest buying a van instead. It is basically the same thing as a truck with a shell, but is more water-tight and you don't have to exit the vehicle to go from front to back.

I am biased, though. I renovated a van into a camper last year and I am absolutely in love with it. I also like having an excuse to go /out/ more than I normally would.
>>
>>934993
>complaining about going camping by sleeping in the bed of a truck
>as opposed to owning a dedicated tent and never going in the first place
>>
>>934300
I was always kind of into it as an idea, but in practice it actually seems pretty pointless.

Uses up all your storage (the reason you bring a truck). If I'm going to have a tray-bed, where does the shit from my tray go at night? On the ground where my tent would otherwise go? Piled onto the front seats? Doesn't make much sense right?
Or do you pack everything super minimal, only to go to the other end of the spectrum for the sleep system?

>>934402
Ok this I understand. That flippac shit looks super comfy. Great for taking women /out/. Women always think sleeping in a vehicle is going to be way comfier than a tent
>>
File: IMG_0294.jpg (36KB, 543x271px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0294.jpg
36KB, 543x271px
You Americans
>>
File: IMG_9146.jpg (161KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9146.jpg
161KB, 1080x1920px
I camp in mine often when I go on biking trips. not perfect but it works. I have venting windows and an air mattress that fits it perfectly and is fairly comfortable when the weather is right.
>>
File: 1485623749985.jpg (98KB, 484x497px) Image search: [Google]
1485623749985.jpg
98KB, 484x497px
>>939246
where did you get/what brand is the liner on that topper? (looks like a raider top?)

been thinking of getting a plastic liner and carpeted bed mat like yours for this years /out/ings. I like this idea because the bed mat is removable to use the truck for other shit but the topper mat can stay in place and is comfy/
insulative.
>>
File: folding-guest-bed.jpg (29KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
folding-guest-bed.jpg
29KB, 250x200px
I camp in my truck bed all the time

>back up to a tree and tie a tarp to it
>drop tailgate and tie tarp to itself underneath on both sides, forming a triangular entrance
>drape other end of tarp over cab and tie it down

Now you have a quick to set up "tent" with excellent ventilation and waterproofing.

For bonus points use a folding foam mattress for even quicker set up. Far superior to an air mattress. Can't pop it and no need to blow it up. Also leaving your cordage attached to the tarp with knots you can tension speeds things up as well.

Camping really is best when its quick / convenient. You'll be more willing to head out on a Friday night after work or whatever. I leave my camping gear in a crate behind my passenger seat, ready to go at all times. I just toss a sleeping bag and my mattress into the back, grab a couple beers and a steak from the fridge, and I'm off.
>>
File: tacoma1.jpg (146KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
tacoma1.jpg
146KB, 800x500px
just sharing a pic i found neat
>>
I've been doing it for a year in a cold area. Big things are that it's SMALL, and you will be more like living around the vehicle and sleeping inside it. If you can afford it I'd get an RV topper if you're serious about spending a lot of time in it. Or consider getting a 4wd van from eBay motors. Lots of climbers build them up then ditch the van life, leaving a fully renovated van with shelving, storage, electrical ready to go. But then you have to deal with 7 mpg.
>>
>>940297
Can you show me a pic? I literally cant wrap my head around things without pictures. I'm a child
>>
>>934402
>INTENTS license plate
hearty kek
>>
>>934300
Considered trying this sometime this coming summer. I've got a 1993 Ford Ranger with a bed cap and I was planning on insulating the gap between the cap and the cab so I can open the rear cab window and the cap window for A/C venting into the capped bed area.
>>
>>934993
Fuck off tripfag.
>>
File: $_27 (1).jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
$_27 (1).jpg
66KB, 640x480px
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.