[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kayak Preference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

File: WS_Tarpon_100_Lifestyle_01.jpg (694KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
WS_Tarpon_100_Lifestyle_01.jpg
694KB, 1200x800px
Hey everyone, i'm a graduate student doing thesis-related work down in Central Texas over riparian habitat. I've been surveying an approx. 15mi stretch of river for the past year. Kayaks and tubes are the best means of traversing the river since its quite shallow, so i've been borrowing a pair of kayaks from both my advisor and a friend. I'm currently looking into getting my own kayak, so here's the run-down:
>My advisor's kayak is an emotion stealth 11, which is moderately comfortable and has good storage
>sort of a bitch to move around, kinda on the large side for the river
>Friend's kayak is some pelican; just over 8ft long
>I hate the pelican now with a passion, most uncomfortable thing ever, plus can't track for shit
So currently i'm looking for something around 10ft, that's comfortable, can carry a good amount of equipment, and is less than $800. Any thoughts/input?
>>
File: 1428454343628.jpg (559KB, 1234x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1428454343628.jpg
559KB, 1234x1024px
>>931696
>that smug face tho
>>
>>931696
hobie or gtfo
>>
>>931718
Could you elaborate? I'm not seeing any below 1k (plus it looks like most have foot-paddles which wouldn't work for the river).
>>
File: 429863978_c729c9bd83_b.jpg (152KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
429863978_c729c9bd83_b.jpg
152KB, 1024x683px
Inflatable
>like my dick
>>
>>931696
I just bought a pelican intrepid 100x angler. Though I haven't taken it out yet due to everything being frozen.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (195KB, 1700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
195KB, 1700x1000px
>>931808
filthy casual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ZLwTySBlw
>>
>>931696

I have a wilderness systems Tarpon. I think it's the 140 model.

It tracks pretty well, and for fishing I can't imagine not being in a sit-on-top kayak. Sit-ins are too annoying for me.

There are enough kayakers in central TX that you should be able to find something on craigslist
>>
how heavy those posted in the thread are in general? i have to walk them to the lake, did it once with an old bulky-ass kayak and damn it was taxing.
>>
>>932431
buy or make a trolley, or buy or make a canoe
>>
Longer the kayak the better the tracking. The wider/deeper it is, the more stable it is. All these things add to weight. A 12ft kayak is a very good all around.
>>
File: ture.jpg (48KB, 519x660px) Image search: [Google]
ture.jpg
48KB, 519x660px
>>931696
I would look into SOT's instead of SINK's.
The ability to get off, swim, fish, hang your legs off the sides & side saddle ride are the best selling points for getting one. its a wetter ride of course and is also a colder ride because youre on top instead of crammed inside. I like the sot's ability in rivers to be able to self recover much faster than sink's and you dont have to waste time bailing out your kayak. gear stowage is better on a sot as well, many newer models have deep wells to accommodate boxes and buckets and they also have dry hatches to stow gear. I do suggest filling some of the empty space with pool noodles in case you have a leaky hatch.

12' is a good starter size. you can car top it, carry it or get a folding dolly (highly recommended) with the dolly you can load it with gear and roll to your launch, no need for a return trip to get your gear. bungie it to the front well and paddle away. shit if youre lazy you can attach a trolling motor and a battery and cruise upstream no problem with your sot.
I would look on craigslist for a kayak. winter is prime buyers time for kayaks. pic related $2fiddy leaves you some room to buy a nice paddle, a new pfd, some dry bags, maybe pick up a yakattack blackpak for bling (or just use a milk crate) some railblaza's for the go pro..

you see where i'm going with this?

with a dolly
>>
>>932441
the first one is like 55 pounds, that would be totally manageable
>>
File: rudder.jpg (25KB, 300x195px) Image search: [Google]
rudder.jpg
25KB, 300x195px
>>931696
also.. tracking can be improved with a rudder. though i dont suggest using them in faster moving down current, but for paddling up current theyre great to keep you orientated.
>>
File: pture.jpg (63KB, 893x644px) Image search: [Google]
pture.jpg
63KB, 893x644px
>>
>>931831
Yeah rather have a white water kayak for that.
>>
>>931696
For around 800 you can get a dagger axis 10.5. Its like a hybrid kayak. Part touring part whitewater. At 10'6" its easy to haul around. Tracks better and has more storage space than some 8 ft whitewatwr kayak.
>>932462
This anon is right. A rudder or skeg will help with tracking. The axis has a "drop down" skeg. Want to go straight and far with every paddle stroke? Release a cord and a skeg drops down. Going down some rapids and need more maneuverability? Pull a cord and the skeg retracts alowing to to make tight turns with a paddle stroke.
Also the stock seat in the dagger is comfy as fuck. Thats a big plus if your going to be doing long days in your yak.
>>
>>932720
That dagger axis looks pretty awesome! The skeg component seems like it would help tremendously for the flats. I'm more of a fan of SOT than sit-in, but I think the seat comfort is probably my top issue, and I gotta agree it looks comfy af on the dagger (and the WS tarpon).
>>
>>932459
I've been seeing some decent deals on craigslist, found a perception pescador for around $400 lightly used. I think a 12fter might be a little too large for the number of riffles I have to go through. I definitely prefer a SOT for that convenience factor (and not taking on water).
>>
>>931696
Got into kayaking last summer and went with pic related, futurebeach trophy 126. At the time I too was looking for something i could spend all day in, with lots of storage and this guy is perfect, also cheap, iirc ~$500 for the kayak and all the basics brand new. Another plus is that it's very sturdy, both structurally and on the water. Mine's got some dings and scratches but the nice part is it's one solid piece of plastic so you can't really break it. It's slow though and pretty heavy. I'd recommend replacing the seat though, it hurts your back after a few hours.

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/future-beach-trophy-kayak/
>>
>>931718

Fuck off. Hobie is overpriced garbage.
>hurrdurr mirage drive
Novelty bollocks is novelty bollocks.
>>
>>931696

A good starter is the Perception Triumph 13. It's a sit-on with a good sized tankwell and in-hull storage. It's a pure touring kayak that suits any setting from rivers to lakes to ocean.

Of course, if money is no object, go for a Kaskazi Dorado II. A truly magnificent piece of equipment; light, fast, comfortable.
>>
>>932431

Get a C-Tug. Anybody who tells you there's a better kayak trolley is objectively wrong.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.