[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /OUT JOBS I'm a forrester. Shits comfy man.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 22

ITT: /OUT JOBS
I'm a forrester. Shits comfy man.
>>
I'm a britfag farmer. Shit's cold yo.
>>
>>931608
I fix computers and sell liquid armor, sometimes I look at the small patch of trees across the way :'(
>>
Central European here. There are like.. three /out/ working positions in total for the next 500km, each requiring a 3 year long training period with minimal pay. Shit sucks.

Anyone in the states adopting?
>>
File: 1st kayak.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1st kayak.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
stay at home dad who live innawoods. i take my 2 year old son /out/ all the time.
>>
>>931608
Logger here, shits fun yo
>>
>>931608
Ayy just about to graduate with my forestry degree, have a job with the FS waiting for me
>>
>>931608
Is electrician a good job? Thinking about getting into it.
>>
>>931608

studying fish and wildlife biology and management. I love it
>>
>>931639
If you're white please immigrate to Canada, we need you.
>>
>>931667
Sparkies pay pretty well around here, work for a couple years for someone else then start your own company.
>>
File: 1433621494034.png (47KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1433621494034.png
47KB, 645x773px
>>931608
>mfw found this nice job
>mfw is far away as fuck from my home and would leave me with little money in the end of the month to save up
what to do /out/
>>
Sell home, Pursue Job, Live amongst skin-walkers in forest and be forever forest child. Revel in the abashment of preservation and formidable relish of community via the placenta of lubricity of wrist action dual yob. what? :'(
>>
>>931608

Carpenter for a home and renovation construction company. I spend all day outside and it's great conditioning for spending long periods of time outdoors.
>>
Gardener, feels good man
>>
>>931667
how scared of spiders are you? electrician's better than plumber, but you'll still have to slither through a shitload of crawl spaces.
>>
>>931667
I make $44/hr as a sparky. Gonna work on my own soon
>>
I'm about to graduate with a GIS degree. how can i be outside
>>
>>931725
>Canada
>Accepting low skill (european) immigrants

Canada doesn't even take masters degree immigration applicants in many fields. Good luck if you aren't coming from a warzone
>>
>>931787
I feel ya.

>>931608
If you consider car camping as actual camping, then I work /out/. I'm exposed to the elements a good portion of the day.
>>
>>931885
Learn to run a survey-grade GPS data collector like Sokkia or Trimble.
I'll put you /out/ because I'm getting to valuable/in/.
>>
>>931667
If you wanna fuck with electricity and be /out/ (sometimes) do a lineman apprenticeship. You can work on transmission lines way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere. My dad got me into it after he told me stories about being choppered out to remote power lines or riding ATV's and dirt bikes into the woods to work on stuff.

pic related, it's me on the job
>>
File: i-WLqk97p-L.jpg (83KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-WLqk97p-L.jpg
83KB, 338x600px
>>932038
>riding dirt bikes into the woods to work on stuff
yup, fuck lightning
>>
>>932038

I inspect trees near power lines. Hiking around and looking at trees and birds all day is dope. I don't have to climb poles and fuck with electricity, but I also don't get paid like I do.
>>
>>932060
it ain't for everyone
>>
File: i-G7n4QFF-L.jpg (43KB, 338x600px)
i-G7n4QFF-L.jpg
43KB, 338x600px
>>932072
Nice thing about contracting, I get to pick and choose the jobs and what I want for the job.

>no link
>its ded
>shits fucked
>Horiz. radio still worked.
>>
>>932079
Happily I can do the same to some extent

>go to union hall
>sign books
>get offer for x job with x hours and x per diem
>can say yes or no and wait for another offer or pack up and head somewhere else
>>
This might be pushing the envelope a bit, but I'm heading into the army infantry as a 2nd lieutenant thanks to ROTC after I finish college.
>>
File: 1477292292281.jpg (17KB, 285x324px) Image search: [Google]
1477292292281.jpg
17KB, 285x324px
>>932109
>going into the infantry as a butter bar

Listen to your 1SG when you get to your unit and act as though you know nothing, unless you want your enlisted men to hate your inexperienced guts. I met so many 2LT's act like complete twats because they thought OCS transformed them into all knowing gods
>>
>>931642
that kid is gonna really appreciate you when he/she grows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkiij9dJfcw
>>
File: hi_five.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>931642
doesn't look like a whole lot of staying-at-home to me anon
>>
>>932113
Why do you think the army believes that people with no experience at all are equipped to lead others?
>>
Ski patrol.
>>
>>932141
Because the Army, like many other branches of government, is a bureaucratic clusterfuck of retardation.

As a 2LT you'll get good training- don't get me wrong. But soldiering skills, ESPECIALLY in the infantry, can only truly come from real-world experience. You can memorize how to react to a close ambush or a far ambush or how to call in a grid, but until you actually DO those things for real in a combat environment, you don't really get the whole picture.

Another issue is that grunts are highly cliquish. It comes from having the shittiest job in the military- we have a shit life so we all stick together. Outsiders are looked upon with scorn and disdain until they prove themselves. A new enlisted man is a cherry ass bitch until he shows he can swing his dick with the rest of us. A new man who is not only just fresh out of training, but is also in charge of the "old crew" as it were is going to have a very hard time being accepted.
>>
>>931885
You can become a surveyor. If your degree is strictly GIS, the outside jobs are the ones they give guys without degrees and pay shit half the time.
>>
File: 0098.jpg (58KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
0098.jpg
58KB, 560x420px
Diamond driller or seismic driller.

Flown around in helicopters with small drill rigs to locate minerals, or to drill holes for explosive seismic testing.

Done it for 8 years, shit's cash and good money.
>>
I'm an archaeologist. Lots of hiking, digging, watching people work, and plenty of jobs to be had in USA.
>>
>>932156
>plenty of jobs to be had in USA
well isn't this a pleasant fiction
>>
>>932167
Do you mean for archaeologists or in general?
>>
>>932170
I just heard that archæology is a nigh-impossible field to secure either gainful or ungainful employment
>>
>>931729
Move, retard.
>>
File: skjerka.png (3MB, 1353x1015px) Image search: [Google]
skjerka.png
3MB, 1353x1015px
I did construction work in a rural area (in Norway). This area was just a kilometer away from the barracks I lived in.
>>
>>932109
Just know that the E-2 + E-3 whos been in the unit @ 1 year knows more than you do. Platoon daddy runs that shit despite rank. Be a leader by example, learn from your Joes. You'll be a better officer for it.
>>
>>932038
Hi. I'm in school for it now. I still have my doubts every once in a while but so far it's been a blast and I'm loving learning about how electricity works. Stay safe man
>>
>>931885
Go Land Surveying
Get License
Hang a shingle
Be a bro
>>
>>932065
You Davey?
>>
>>932150
Sounds neat how did you start?
>>
>>932167
Its no fiction at all. This past year I've worked in 4 states on the west coast. There is no shortage of jobs since most are tied to the construction industry. I have had no trouble finding work since I was 19 and I'm 24 now. All of this with a BA in anthropology. As long as you do good work and know how to market yourself, one can make 20/hr easily.
>>
>>932516
And I mean specifically archaeology work such as survey, excavation, or construction monitoring.
>>
File: 1389349256034.jpg (57KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1389349256034.jpg
57KB, 600x480px
>>932146
>Because the Army, like many other branches of government, is a bureaucratic clusterfuck of retardation.

So true..
>>
Will there even be any forestry jobs under Trump+Republican congress?
>>
>>932528
of course. once they start clear-cutting the national parks there's gonna be one final, terminal boom in the industry. it's gonna be great.
>>
File: 1468942556022.jpg (6KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
1468942556022.jpg
6KB, 250x167px
>>932528
You ignant as fuck
>>
>>932119
that's frickin awesome. i'd love to have my kid go to one of those instead of a traditional kindergarten. unfortunately i'm surrounded by too many wealthy mock hippies who want to pretend to be like that, but are really just as controlling and overbearing as all the "other" parents they rail against to have anything really like that nearby. maybe montana, maine or alaska could pull it off right.
>>
File: HankFry.jpg (62KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
HankFry.jpg
62KB, 780x585px
>>931645
You're ruining our country...
>>
>>931608

Where did you get your degree OP? Around here I need a BA for it.

Did you get it online?
>>
>>931608
Have you been playing Firewatch? I think you have been playing Firewatch.
>fuck, now I wanna work as a firewatch in Colorado
>>
>>931639
Czechbro?
>>
>>932146
>Because the Army, like many other branches of government, is a bureaucratic clusterfuck of retardation
You are so correct I think I'd vote you
>>
>>932262
this. Don't be obsessed with home, anon
>>
Aerospace Engineer

Pays the bills so I can go on nice /out/ trips
>>
>>932564
It can't be done.

A school like that is much more costly than a regular one.
Only families with money can afford it.
And those are the same families with arrogant, cunty, trophy wives.

Factor in pig disgusting PTA associations and your young mountainman school is now vegan hippie propaganda land, and GreenPeas indoctrination/training ground.
>>
File: 1484531311637.jpg (104KB, 1000x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1484531311637.jpg
104KB, 1000x1430px
Canadian army, infantry

>tfw your job is to be innawoods with your buddies but you barely sleep and cant drink beer
>>
>>932516
how do you get a BA in anthropology when you are 19? I'm from europe, here it would be highschool till 18, 3 years of uni to get the BA, so you'd be at least 21.
>>
>>932891
read again, he's 24
>>
>>932891
https://youtu.be/H-gkg2DF0OQ
>>
>>932812
>playing an outdoors fantasy videogame Instead of going outside

There nothing gayer
>>
>>932891
I started volunteering and then getting paid before I received my degree.
>>
I used to cut grass and spin sand traps on a golf course in the Canadian Rockies, that was fun.
>>
>>931610
They haven't kicked you off your land for some lords Manor, an expanding city or a road yet?
>>
>>932435

Nope, I'm WECI. I audit Davey and UTS though. I heard Davey pays more in my area but the work is harder.
>>
I'm finishing up an undergrad degree in computer science next year -odds are I can get some sort of /out/ job?
>>
File: P1080634.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
P1080634.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>931608
exploration geologist
>paid to sit in a hughes 500 helicopter for a ride to work
>paid to camp for weeks
>paid to walk around the bush all day taking soil and rock samples and to map interesting features
>paid to hunt every night, mates with heli pilots, ring them on sat phone, they come and pick up samples and animals to hang in their chiller
breddy good
>>
>>931830
Details? I'm a codemonkey and hate it. My mind always drifts to being a carpenter - being outside and making something with my hands.

Pay ok? I know the basics - how do I talk a company into taking me on?
>>
>>932156
30 y/o and thought of getting an MA in Anthropology to dig ditches. Would that cut it?
>>
>>934042
You're gonna end up back as a codemonkey. Shit like carpentry, best way is to apprentice and learn from somebody for a few years. Then work for them or become independent or whatever you want. But as you get older, you will regret it.

>tfw little bro about to get his Atmospheric Sciences degree
He could do all sorts of cool /out/ type shit like that. Last summer he was working for the power company because they need meteorologists to predict weather for storms and outages or heat will the demand will go up. He has talked about working on ships (big cruise ships or navy ships) or something in aviation.
>>
>>934066
I suppose, but I also regret spending the past 5 years in a cubicle staring at a screen and having absolutely no skills or projects to show for it.
>>
I'm a guide/safety+logistics for a wilderness therapy program for teens with addictions and behavioral issues that operates in Algonquin park Ontario
>>
File: 20160222_132028.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20160222_132028.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
I herd reindeer in Northern Norway/Sweden. Comfy as fuck, although don't hike often. Most of the time i just ride my snowmobile since I need to be able to travel long distances in a day and also be able to catch up to reindeer, but all in all a great job.
>>
philosopher
>>
>>934044
Definitely would cut it. With an MA you'd be in a position to move quickly to staff/field director and start authoring reports. You could even start your own cultural resources management company with an MA.
>>
>>931729
Definitely take the opportunity. You can live on a budget for a while pussy, it's easily worth it for a decent future in a different place. Don't get so caught up on where you are, home can be nice but you dont want it to hold you back
>>
>>934357
try the homelessness general
>>
>>932167
Gladiator reference?
>>
Any college student who thinks they can handle "out" needs to be a tree planter. That fixes most people.
>>
File: southern_africa.jpg (50KB, 760x713px) Image search: [Google]
southern_africa.jpg
50KB, 760x713px
Deciding between becoming a field guide, a game ranger, or a field ranger.

Which one is better? I realize each has their pros and cons (such as tourists, being a foreman or getting shot at)

For reference, will be working among this area
>>
>>932673
>he doesn't know logging isn't bad for the forests
>>
>>934035
Just got my BS in geo finished up. Currently trying for grad school in petrology, but it seems like economic stuff is fun as hell and pretty lucrative too. How'd you get into the industry?

All the jobs in my area are environmental consulting type things, which is ok, but I'd certainly prefer exploration geo. Just wouldn't want to move somewhere with no guarantee of work just to get fucked over
>>
Marine biologist...dive a lot. Only downside is in western Australia we have more or less the most fatal shark attacks anywhere in the world.
>>
File: P1030671.jpg (904KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
P1030671.jpg
904KB, 1920x1080px
>>934557
was going the academic route, but met a few people in the exploration business, and we hit it off, few weeks later I was dropped off by a heli a 6 hour walk from the nearest road in the middle of NZ winter with a fulla, who turned out to be a real good bastard, and we mapped and sampled for 2 weeks straight. I have always loved working living and being in the /out/doors and I saw this as my way out of the increasingly boring and desk central way of academia. still have to drive a desk for a good portion of the year but the field work more than makes up for it. People who were on the same path as I was now get into the field maybe once or twice every 3-4 years. fuck that
>>
>>932263
Looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>933953
friend, we work at the same company, but I m in Cali. Turn over rate is high in this company. Lets talk. [email protected]
>>
What kind of /out/ jobs are there in britain?
>>
>>931642
Wife's son?
>>
>>931608
I'm still a lowely engineering student. I stare at the trees on people's lawn and the small field they're building condos on while I walk home.
>>
>>931725
Simply by being white and not an intersex muslim, they are just like the rest of us, destined to give our monies away in public services to people who complain about not being able to strap pepperoni to themselves and scream "allahu akbar" without being told this isn't fucking Syria.
>>
>>931608
britfag neet here, flat paid for and 1300 pounds a month in bennies, shits comfy as fuck I just do whatever I want
>>
>>934042

Basically find a place that's looking for house framers and begin as an apprentice. Pay is great, as an apprentice I was making 12 dollars an hour unskilled. The job prospects are good too. I have an architect friend who says there aren't any young carpenters to replace the old. If you're young and in good shape I would say go for simply because you'll be commanding your price for your skilled labor. It's really easy to get hurt on the job. Learn to lift properly, know your limits, and always be aware!
>>
>>935252

I was making twice that as an un skilled apprentice plumber. Master plumber who was teaching me, his hourly rate was 150 an hour (Rich area, he could easily charge that)

Had nice benefits. Was always getting free shit from clients. Best was a pure breed beagle puppy with papers.
>>
>>935259
>plumber's apprentice's dog has papers
My fucking plumber doesn't even have papers for himself.
>>
>>935252
Couple of years ago a film company hired one of my cars for filming.

I ended up wandering around the sets out of boredom/curiosity, and I met a couple of guys building "flats".

Flats are walls used for interiors/exteriors.
Plasterers then give walls texture such as brick or wood paneling something of that nature. Or even plaster over the plywood to make it look like drywall.

Its basically wall framing, same as houses. ( google for pictures)
Even the studs are placed 2' or 24" apart, for even spacing between standard 8'x4' sheets of ply.

So I ended up tagging along with these guys and got hired on the spot.

$200 a day. I know the others were getting way more.

Things are incredibly fast paced and fuckups, due to tight schedules, are not tolerated but I still found it easy to learn.

There was another crew building doors and windows and I spent some time with them too.

I had some DIY experience but knew nothing about framing on the first days so I did minor stuff like stapling ply to the frame, sanding, gluing, or assembling the studs together with a borrowed drill.

By the second week I was helping hang doors, and cutting rails on windows with a handheld router.

There were painters and varnishers finishing doors and exteriors too, but they were under a much tighter schedule.

Two major things among the many that I wished I'd learnt were reading blueprints and measuring.

Anyway, point was that framing isn't that difficult to pick up.
>>
>>934042
Apprentice carpenter here
What other anons here are saying is generally true, and I got the job just by knowing a guy, so that was pretty cool. I make $12/hr right now, but will be getting a pay raise in a few months.

The physical aspects of it actually aren't too bad, if you played any sports in highschool this should be nothing new. I work a lot of commercial projects so we are at high elevations or working with heavy equipment quite often. Most I can say is pay attention and stay safe. And wear your fucking gloves.

The work I'm doing is non-union, and while I'm grateful to my boss for his flexibility and taking me on with no prior skills, I could be making way more as an apprentice for a union.

Get in a union if you can, they are usually taking applicants because no one wants physical jobs anymore.

Feel free to ask questions
>>
National geoghrapic photographer
>>
>>935374
>says National Geographic photographer
>doesn't post a pic with his post

yeah, sure thing, kid
>>
>>935386
im not saying im NG photographer im advising OP as a job you faggot
>>
>>935388
mhm, I bet.
>>
>>935393
dumbfuck lol
>>
>>935374
Is this 1978?
National Geographic Magazine has been in a solid decline for well over ten years.
And Kodachrome is dead too.
>>
>>931677
That sounds pretty cool mate, what's it like?
>>
>>931667

Electrician here

I mostly get to spy in the insides of people's houses and yards.

Not really /out/ unless you're working on public stuff that's in da woods.

Park ranger or animal officer in a rural area would be 2 common ones where you're /out/ a lot.
>>
I'm a Canyon guide. I guide tourists through canyons, and make sure they don't die.
>>
>>935259
>plumber
>always getting free shit from clients
you don't say
>>
>>934092
That is awesome. Is that through a church? Or governmental?
Do you have to deal with idiot children? Or is that someone elses job
>>
>>934344
Are you Sami or how did you get this job??
>>
File: tmp_12438-1483187084398196393920.png (414KB, 1414x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12438-1483187084398196393920.png
414KB, 1414x1000px
>>931608
Always wanted to be a forester.
>>
>>932141
It is necessary to produce a large number of officers during wartime, else there would be a delay period for everyone
>>
>>931642
Does your wife peg you?
>>
Any /out/ tier jobs for chemists?
>>
>>939460
chemical waste disposal ?
>>
File: pHinStream.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pHinStream.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
>>939460
you could stand in a stream with cotton socks
>>
>>939460
A lot of monitoring, agriculture, and hydrology jobs require chemistry.
>>
>>935388
>Not me, Him!
Sounds legit
> Nat Geo has staff photogs not buys images from freelancers?
Seriously?
>>
In education atm to become a forest engineer in Quebec, Canada
Job prospects look really good in my specific field, more people are retiring than young ones are graduating which creates a shortage of forest engineers (I guess millenials would rather pursue social science degrees than natural ressource ones)

Typical position is 30% outdoors/ 70% office work which is a good compromise imo

God I'm so glad I left France to come study forest sciences as a foreign student here. That country is doomed
>>
>>934612

Hah, I'm in Cali too.
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.