[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space blankets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: 1347421622137.jpg (280KB, 964x867px) Image search: [Google]
1347421622137.jpg
280KB, 964x867px
I went hiking one time in winter with an aspie, and he insisted on using only space blankets (he had like 4 of them) to keep warm at night. Of course this worked like shit and he had to stoke the fire every hour, but he clearly got this idea from somewhere

Is space blanket camping an actual thing? Why the fuck can't these people just bring a comfy sleeping bag?
>>
Comes from the survivalist/prepper fags. They think space blankets are the end-all-be-all of keeping warm in the wilderness.
>>
>>931587
I've never seen anyone actually use a space blanket.
>>
>>931602
Do they think radiation is the only form of heat transfer?
>>
>>931587
if you don't like to babysit idiot autists who are certain they know more than you, /out/ is not your board.
>>
>>931587
I always bring one for emergencies because of their small size and cheap price but I would never reach for one over a regular sleeping bag or blanket. The better way to use em is put em between 2 layers of clothes I think, instead of as an actual blanket. But yea, this guy sounds like an inexperienced moron. Why would you choose something that crinkles when you move, tears easy, doesn't breath, and won't insulate you from the ground at all?

>>931604
They pass em out at the end of long distance running events all the time since your body temp can drop real fast once you stop moving.
>>
>>931587
>wearing a space blanket AND using a fire

So, he like used the space blanket as a backdrop for the fire and himself, right? He didn't just wrap up in it or something?

Mylar blankets and reflectors are amazing if they are used correctly.
>>
>>931763
>>
>>931587
I mean, I'll bring one and use it as the ground sheet for my tent/bivy/tarp whatever. It seems to boost my warmth a little, but I definitely have a good pad and appropriate sleeping bag. Sometimes I'll toss it over myself and sleeping bag- I don't tuck it in or anything it just reflects my heat and blocks drafts a bit, but yeah.

I wouldn't camp with that guy anymore unless he brings proper gear. That could turn into him relying on your gear sooner than you'd think, and then it's a slippery slope to survival emergency bullshit.
>>
File: BlanketIdea.gif (80KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
BlanketIdea.gif
80KB, 1152x648px
So what do you guys think of this idea-

I would take a wool blanket (maybe polar fleece, something warm and hard wearing) and sew squares of space blanket on it like in the pic. I could obviously vary up how much space blanket I put on it. The idea would be to bolster the warmth, maybe make it a more versatile sleep system than just a blanket.

>do you think this would boost warmth alot?
>would condensation suck like if I used just a whole space blanket?
>>
>>931793
The guy tries to camp with mylar blankets. He probably wants to enter his fantasy survival bushcraft land thinking he knows way more than he does...
>>
>>931805

From what I've been told from Mors videos, he says if there's any gap at all in a space blanket system it's essentially useless. The best way to use them is as an insulation layer in a shelter, supposedly works wonders and can keep you right cozy with just your body heat assuming your shelter is flawless.
>>
>>931620
They're mostly evangelical Christians. They don't believe in science at all.
>>
>>931844
I bet you can't provide a bulletproof argument for evolution. You'll resort to easily understood arguments like fossils, but nitty gritty shit like creation of new genetic information is something you probably don't understand. Therefore you don't know shit, you just think you do.
>>
>>931844
There is no science where The Almighty God is involved, blessed be His Name.
>>
>>931886
I bet I could, since evolution actually has a massive amount of supporting evidence if you could be bothered to open a book, and it's what I studied in university. I won't bother though, because science deniers are too emotionally attached to their beliefs to ever listen to facts, and because it isn't /out/ related. But thanks for the (You).
>>
>>931805
why not just put it inside a blanket
>>
>>931843
>>931938
I idea for wanting to make gaps in the space blanket is when I slept with a space blanket wrapped around me and a wool blanket. It was warm(ish) but a fucking steamer in there, I woke up soaked and it hadn't been raining. I was hoping that the mylar patches would help reflect heat/keep drafts off while the gaps would allow moisture to escape. I've always felt that mylar is an under used technology in hiking/outdoor gear but I guess there might be a good reason for it.

Would you (Oakurir) send me the link to that mors vid? I'm interested in his take on this stuff.
>>
File: Gofd.png (362KB, 1022x581px) Image search: [Google]
Gofd.png
362KB, 1022x581px
>>931886
>>931916
>>931931
Why?!?!?!?!?
>>
>>932050
It's not durable. At all. There's a reason they're disposable emergency blankets and nothing more.
>>
>>932126
There's different kinds. The ones they pass out at the end of races are thin and will tear- like these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IYIYFE/ref=wl_mb_recs_3_title

the thicker ones last a while. they generally have one side reflective, one side colored. I use one as a ground sheet, and it is still holding up. They're thicker though so = bulkier & heavier

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-127006-P-All-Weather-Blanket/dp/B002CQUA28/ref=pd_sbs_468_21?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=N65EYKWTTWN2HPG11KSF&th=1

>for the record, I still think OP's camping buddy was a fucking tard.
>>
>>931886
>but nitty gritty shit like creation of new genetic information is something you probably don't understand.

Here you go. Watch new genetic information which is useful to the bacteria involved in this experiment evolving in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHI45garS3g
>>
Mylar blankets do work, the problem is that most people don't know how to use them, because they don't actually understand what they're for.

Aluminium (the stuff emergency blankets are coated with) conducts direct heat but reflects radiant heat. What this means is that if you put an emergency blanket directly to your skin it will make you colder, but if it's more than about a quarter of an inch away from your skin it will keep you fairly warm. OP's sperg friend was most likely cold because not only was the multiple layers of emergency blanket ineffective because conductive heat will pass straight from one layer to the next anyway, it was too close to his skin and therefore removing heat from him, it was also more than a quarter of an inch away from the fire and therefore reflecting the fire's heat away; In this case, he would have been warmer had he not used the mylar at all.

>>931805
Technically, this would improve the warmth without noticeably decreasing breathability, but not likely enough to make a noticeable difference. You'd be much better off using Tyvek 14-s, which is the same aluminiumized layer, but on breathable stock (Tyvek) instead of Mylar. It is of course outrageously expensive, but if you don't mind the print, you can get an "escape" bivvy from SOL for about $60, which is made of this material. Also, unless you can afford some sort of hollow core wool (typically a couple grand for a blanket), polar fleece is going to be all around better for what you're talking about. I'll probably end up doing the bivvy and fleece sleeping bag liner setup, myself. I'm putting together cache for a friend of mine, and a polar fleece and tyvek sleep system would vacuum-pack really well and be very warm for the cost.
>>
>>931587
I used one once when I slept out in on a beach in the south of spain during early autumn. I fucking froze (didn't even have shoes) and had loads of condensation to boot.

The only practical use for space blankets IMO is having them set up behind you as a heat reflector for the fire. Like this >>931763
>>
>>932161
>the man knows his materials
I appreciate this. I had no idea that the SOL bivy was something other than more mylar- I've heard terrible things about it nonetheless, but if it's the best option then that's the way it is : / Definitely will stick to polar fleece on your recommendation, Walmart sells really dope and cheap blankets for this purpose since you're in the market.

Do you have any recommendations for ground insulation going with this same theme?
(cheap, compact, warm, comfort being the lowest priority)
>>
>>932050
Sorry buddy just woke up, here's the link. He's got a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9u_UxKWgFE

This one involves mylar but is quite a complicated "Super Shelter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSC8iYhC7k
>>
>>931886
The flu virus changes every year. Genetic variation is a real thing.
>>
>>932313

how the fuck did you manage to not bring shoes but you had a space blanket?
>>
>>932152
>>932384
lol guys, calm down. He's either a troll or a nitwit. Either way, arguing over the internet is not going to convince this guy against the existence of an invisible omnipotent sky monster.
>>
>>932411
Evolutionists believe that the first form of life in our lineage was a single-celled organism created in a clay tidal pool by solar radiation, that reproduced through budding, the second form of life reproduced sexually, followed by dietary divergence (the abilities to take nutrients directly from its' enviroment and the ability to canabalize other organisms for nutrients), then the tidal pool washed out into the ocean, allowing a multitude of new forms of life to develop, such as those that could walk on dry land, see colored light and eventually, develop fur.

Christians believe that the first form of life in our lineage was made from clay by a powerful being in the sky, and that the second came from his side, then they reproduced sexually and produced a farmer and a keeper of livestock, eventually there was a flood, followed by dry land, then a rainbow, and a dude covered in red fur (Esau).

But both evolutionist and Christians think the others are a bunch of idiots... Okay.
>>
>>932430
On one hand, Christians have to admit that the very first story in the bible is a parabole that accurately depicts the history of evolution. On the other hand, evolutionists have to admit that Christians somehow accurately described the evolutionary process six thousand years before evolutionists did.
>>
File: Spaced.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Spaced.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
>>931620
They are so spaced out they actually have a vacuum inside their dense heads that only allows for heat loss by radiation. Hence the name "space blanket"

>>931844
It's actually rocket science, hence the name "space blanket"

Pic related, it's me spacing out on some space blanket material, i'm an expert as you can see
>>
>>932444
>accurately described the evolutionary process
Nah, not by a long long long shot. What the fuck are you even talking about? Not even allegorically. All I've got from this as a common thread is clay. Evolution has nothing about clay. Where the fuck did you find this shit.

>>932430
Christians believe in a story that has been disproved many times over. If they choose to follow their beliefs too closely, they FUCKING DIE from easily preventable conditions.
Science offers something which has been proven in many different and separate instances. The whole point of a good experiment is that it is REPRODUCIBLE.

I could create a simple experiment which supports Darwin's theory of evolution today. Many people have. Many people witness this shit every day.
I could not find any evidence that God or the story of Genesis is real. There is nothing reproducible, none of it makes sense.
The fact that believing wholly in the Christian take will lead to a premature death, while belief in the latter encourages flu shots and the prevention of pandemics, I don't see where the fuck you're coming from.
>>
>>932479
Ah, yes. When viewed from such a narrow viewpoint, I can see how you'd miss the bigger picture.

The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally; those who do tend to be the fanatics that give Christianity, or rather, all Judaic religions, a bad reputation. The Bible is a parable, a story, a simple explanation for simple minds that depicts complex concepts as easily understood ones, in the same way that "Little Red Riding Hood" wasn't really about a wolf, but rather a rapist, but was still an effective form of communication that prevented young girls from wandering off alone in the woods. It's an abstract of reality.
>>
>>932489
By that token, the bible could be one big erotic lit novel about how I fucked your mom. It's an abstract of reality.
>>
>>932495
If you're allowing for that much interpretation, sure. But the existence of God is still a lot more plausible than you getting laid.
>>
>>932103
"Science" can no more prove or disprove God than it can evolution.
>>
>>932380
Try Joann fabrics with a coupon that comes out every week. They have real polar fleece not just fleece throw blankets ( idk if that really matters) but yeah look there it'll be cool
>>
>>931805
I have a hunting jacket that has a mylar-like material inside. It doesn't make sound when you move but it definitely is warmer than you'd expect.

I was surveying and waiting for the helicopter to pick me up when a massive storm rolled in. I was known for always being prepared, but this day I didn't have my rain gear. The chopper obviously couldn't come.

I was in a few year old clearcut and made a nest out of alder and tried to stay warm with two emergency blankets. I got soaked and the temp dropped and even though it was July, it would have been pretty serious if I had to spend the night in that condition. It was only a few extra hours but I was shaking uncontrollably and just freezing. I never would have believed it could be like that in July, but I guess that's how people die of exposure even when it's not winter.

I carry one while hunting, but I wouldn't rely on it. Maybe to reflect the heat from a fire, but not on its own (especially if wet).
>>
>>931587
A space blanket works only for a few hours, then the moisture off your body condenses and it begins to cool you down. It has to be as close to your body as possible without actually touching you.

To put on an injured person: good

To line the inside of your shelter: good

To use as an actual blanket: bad marketing

memes
>>
File: Week Bag.jpg (76KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
Week Bag.jpg
76KB, 512x341px
>>932380
Thanks!

SOL actually makes at least two different bivvies, The Escape model is the one made from 14-S, I don't believe the other one is breathable. I doubt that the Escape is the one you've heard bad things about, but again, it is aluminium and will need to be separated from the skin or it'll actually make you colder, so misuse may have been the problem on their end. Personally, I love the thing. I got about a hundred or so uses out of it before I started noticing cosmetic damage and a possible loss of efficiency. Still, that's extremely durable for something that wasn't actually intended to be used as a primary sleeping bag.

I use a closed cell foam pad with a aluminiumized mylar backing (which faces down - there's been whole threads discussing that, lol). It's not very compact, but it is still one of the lightest options (my entire sleep system weighs less than 2lbs total), and almost certainly the warmest and cheapest, and the durability is undeniable; there's at least 50 holes in mine, not to mention I cut it down to about 2/3 of it's original size, neither of which an air pad would handle very well.

Pic related is what I carry for 40+F. Consists of a groundsheet (just a section of PE tarp), SOL Escape bivvy, CCF pad and Thermolite Extreme liner. I really like the way this is set up; I can hike until it's too dark to see the trail in front of me, roll out my bed and crawl inside with no setup whatsoever.
>>
File: thubz.jpg (7KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
thubz.jpg
7KB, 262x192px
>>932690
Nice setup! I've been wanting something just like this for some multi-day fast packing/trail running trips. Ive already got a CCF that's torso length only and a Thermolite Extreme so I'm almost there lol. Have you used this set-up in pouring rain? What climate do you typically hike in? Sorry, I'm still a little hesitatnt to drop the $60 on the bivy.

Also- what else do you bring on your hikes? I've been trying to think outisde the box on what I could leave behind/double the uses of.
>>
File: IMG_20170117_201636.jpg (889KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_201636.jpg
889KB, 1120x1680px
>>932722
Thanks!

It's totally worth the $60. I was unemployed when I decided to throw down for it. No regrets.

I live in Eastern Washington, but I used this exclusively for three months while I hitch-hiked down to California and back last year. Now that I think about it, I don't remember being caught in heavy rain once, just a light rain while I was stuck in... Sacramento, I think. I just pulled my hat down over my eyes and went back to sleep, was dry by the time I woke up. If you're expecting rain you might want to have some sort of tarp, but Tyvek is designed to protect million dollar investments from water damage, so there is that.

As far as other gear goes, I had to open everything up and empty my pockets. There's a couple handkerchiefs, white for washing my face and using to stay cool, black for washing elsewhere, eight packs of MRE peanut butter at 250 calories each (my personal choice for emergency ration), PVC fishing spindle with tackle packed inside, Sawyer mini water filter + dirty bag, 2L Camelbak, knife, and lighter. The handkerchiefs, knife and lighter are kept on me, everything else goes either in or on the Camelbak bag. There's also a small med kit which includes a vac-pack mini-BIC, buried in my winter gear I don't feel like digging out right now, also, I keep a razor blade and a frezenel lens in my wallet.

Food is typically cat-tail, trout, thimbleberry, huckleberry, pinenut, and pretty much anything else I find along the way. I'll probably start carrying a few sheets of aluminium foil since I've started getting into mushrooms and don't want to carry a cook kit just for that.
>>
>>932746
To clarify, I used this sleep system for three months, I carried extra gear like a change of clothes, additional food, phone+solar charger, and a more extensive med kit with me for that than I do when I'm just hiking the lakes.
>>
>>932444
Kek, thanks for the chuckle
>>
>>932684
Damn dude, you're a legit outdoorsman. I can believe noone commented on this yet. Did you have the durable kind or the super small emergency style?
>>
>>932503
Fucking rekd
>>
>>931587

the only decent type of space blanket is the bag. everything else is garbage IMO.
the nice thing about the bag is you can use it with a fire by pointing your head at it and holding the top open, creating a little reflective oven.
I've only used mine once, and it was the closest to an emergency that I've ever camped in.
>>
>>934201
But the condensation, though...
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.