[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming outdoorsy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1480720388097.png (480KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
1480720388097.png
480KB, 600x525px
How does a wimpy grown man with no outdoor experience, who was pampered by a single mother as a child reliably learn about actual survival skills after passing adulthood?

I'm medically disqualified for military service and was never in any scouting groups as a child. Other than watching internet series and winging it, are there any alternatives that would offer an actual mentor to help learn these things? Or am I over-analyzing this and is being /out/ literally just figuring shit out yourself and hoping you don't get maimed by a boar in the process?

Help me understand this please /out/. I don't want to die as an office drone.
>>
just figure out how to start a fire and you can go anywhere. ive got no experience but i can at least fucking walk on a trail lol
>>
>>931491
Practice what you see in the vids in your backyard, when you feel confident you can do those skills in a safe environment then you can go try them on the wild.
>>
dude. All you have to do is get a pack and go on day hikes that start to turn into overnights after a few weeks. Matches, a knife, water and food, simple cookware, rain jacket, first aid, flashlight, tarp, and rope are all you need at most for starting out. You don't have to buy most of this stuff or get stupidly expensive items either. For hikes you could easily just take water and some crackers and enjoy yourself

nohikez are always paranoid of animals. So get bear spray and a solid staff. A gun of course always helps. Eventually you'll want to stay the night some time, so set up a good tarp and tent with a fire from wood you've gathered/chopped. That's it, have fun
>>
>>931489
Start in easy mode by day hiking and car camping, then once you learn some things and accumulate some proper gear, try an overnighter. Then go from there. None of these things will put you at any real risk.

I'd recommend some training. Having good cardio and some sort of base level of strength will make things much more enjoyable and you'll be less injury prone.

There really isn't a whole lot you need to learn. Learn to use a map and compass. Learn a couple things about starting fires like how to find good tinder. Don't be retarded, you don't need to make a bow drill to create fire if you just bring a lighter.
>>
>>931489
What state are you in?

Find the highest peak and climb it. You'll learn plenty.

Bring a space blankie.
>>
Check the weather. Bring warm enough, a wool or fleece blanket, and raingear. And a hat. Last thing you want is hypothermia.
Don't Wear Cotton.
Food.
Water.
A stove if you know how, but not needed.
Walk to innawoods.
Sit.
Stay.
Poo in a hole and bury it.
Stay.
Night.
Sit.
Be still.
Morning
Eat
Sit.
Walk back.
You did it.
>>
>>931489
why were you disqualified?
>>
>>931833
Pretty much this.

Start out easy at a state park or other campground that you can go car-camping in. Learn how to build a fire and set a tent up. Bring a big ice chest and whatever food/drinks you want. Cook hot dogs and marshmallows on the fire. In the morning take some water and a sandwich or something and go walking around for a while or swimming in a lake/river.

You start out easy-mode like that -- car camping, short hiking trips of 2-5 miles, maybe some swimming and fishing... Eventually you move on to hike-in camping and overnight trips once you have the gear and experience for it.
>>
Man if you're really having a hard time just learning basic shit from online than you really need that outdoor experience
>>
>>931979
He stated he has a club foot.
>>
>>932042
No he didn't
>>
>>931489
Go on a hike wake 50 feet into woods from trail. Build fire and chill. Walk back before dark. Then stay longer the more confident you get with your skills and gear.
>>
>>931489
just plan your excursions for less than a week, that way you won't starve to death
>>
>>931489
Where do you live? There's probably a ton of people on here that'd be willing to meet up and show you the basics, in exchange for you buying the beer.
>>
Did OP die on his first outing?
>>
I've learned a lot of skills from YouTube and screwing around in my backyard, but I have a hard time actually getting /out/. The local hiking trail doesn't allow camping, my family and friends hate camping, if I set up gear in my backyard the neighborhood cats claw at it, and the close-ish campgrounds are full of campers and loud trashy people. Shit sucks.
>>
File: Basho.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Basho.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
>>931489
I might get some hate for this, and to be honest, I have no idea if it's actually a good idea, but you could check your local REI (or maybe any outdoor store has this?) and attend a talk or two. They have excursions you could sign up for, pay, and go. That might be a good way of meeting people on a similar level who are willing to go on beginner camping trips.

Either way, stick with it. Being comfortable in and in touch with nature is all too valuable.
>>
>>932585
If you're afraid of your neighbors' cats, just imagine what a cougar would do to you.

Not that kind of cougar... *sigh*
>>
>>932713
I'm not afraid of them, but I don't want my tent and sleeping bags ripped up in the middle of the night. Also, unlike the cats, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cougar, assuming I could do so before it ripped my guts out.
>>
>>931489
This is what I did when I was 16 or 17. (This was after I had gone out a couple times with my dad but you could do this from scratch, doesn't matter)

>read bushcraft and survival books (preferably specific to your region)
>pack a ridiculous amount of stuff as emergency backup stuff but used minimal equipment
>drive out to crown land
>walk maybe 50m away from truck into forest
>try to practice what you learned and stay the night
>If you can't make a fire or something, cheat with your backup gear and move on to another skill
>if you can't hack it, you can always just walk right back to your car
>afterwards, read more, assess what you did wrong, make a list of things to do differently next time, notice what gear turned out to be useless and should be omitted next time, etc.

This is all you have to do.

You don't have to be an expert on your first night out.

Its a learning experience. Every time you go you get better, more efficient, more confident, you pack less, and rely less on cheating. Its ok to fail when you're learning.
>>
>>933378
This right here.
Best way to learn is by fucking up. Doing so while you have a safety net means you don't die and can learn from your mistakes.
Also watch survivor man, Shits dope and less ego.
>>
>>931489
Walk around outside.

If your feet hurt ask about shoes or boots.
If you get wet hiking ask about jackets.
If you're cold overnight ask about bags.

As much as 4chan loves to gear queer if you're just getting started you really don't need much more than a sweatshirt and broken in shoes (and don't wear jeans outside jesus).
Address pain points as you experience them.
>>
Wimpy 30 y/o who was raised by a single mother here. I learned a bunch from an outdoorsy uncle so that may dq me from offering advice.

I just started going out into the woods. Just learn some basics like fire starting and how to pitch a tent. Learn about water safety, animal safety and the basics of camping/trail ettiquite.

Test everything out at home before you go and just do overnights at first, even if you catastrophically fuck up you can usually survive a single night.

Don't camp in the winter or canoe or go anywhere where you need a guide to start and you'll be just fine.

I'm the defacto guy to go to the woods with with everyone I know after just going for years. Start small, learn through experience, ask for help sometimes if you can't do something on your own and dont be a dick.
>>
Ausfag sound nerd reportin'

Find a hobby to do whilst you're out there. I like fooling around in some of the National Parks around here with a camera or recorder, seeing what cool things I can record. Sometimes, I like to see if I can teach the lyrebirds to mimic stupid shit, as well.

But don't limit it to just that. Love writing? Write something about your experiences on the day, or based on it. Like fishing? Read a bit on it, find out where you can fish, start with affordable gear and enjoy a few beers. Like birdwatching? Get some cheap binoculars/camera and a camo jacket and see what you can spot (you'd be amazed how many species of bird you can fool just with a camo top with a hood, and glasses). Just want to enjoy the view? Get comfy and enjoy the sights and sounds. The world is your oyster, senpai.

It's a big world out there, keep it easy at first, you don't have to rush and do crazy things. As other anons have said, keep with your car if you must; even then you can still have plenty of fun, and have a safety net if something happens. Don't be too disheartened if it's rough at first.

I never went innabush much as a teenager and worked in IT initially, I slowly did more outdoorsy stuff after I turned 20, and at 23 only just decided to put that IT shit behind me and actually spend good time in the bush.
>>
>>931945
>Poo in a hole and bury it.
this or
>take off all lower body stuff
>crouch so your arsehole is submerged in a river
>shit
>don't have to wipe
>no cleanup
>other hikers will drink from a river you shit in
>>
>>933378
this may sound autistic but is it not scary alone in the woods?
>>
>>933451

At first, until you learn to know sounds. It's the absence of sounds that should worry you.

Unless you live in some place where vicious things roam around.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.