[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would this knife be for going /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_4199.jpg (25KB, 676x507px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4199.jpg
25KB, 676x507px
How would this knife be for going /out/?
>>
>>931203
It has 2 cutting edges. It could also be used as an ice pick. Dressing game would be a task because of the sharp point and the edge facing down, potentially damaging inner organs while opening it. You could dull one of the edges on purpose though.
It's designed as weapon and not as tool, but would handle light wood tasks and all tasks involving slicing and cutting very well.
>>
>>931218
>It's designed as weapon and not as tool

Aren't all weapons tools?
>>
>>931203
It was designed with stabbing rather than cutting in mind. It wouldn't be my first choice for an /out/ knife.
>>
>>931220
All weapons are tools, not all tools are weapons.

That knife would be about as useful as a katana in the wild.
>>
File: mis[1].jpg (163KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
mis[1].jpg
163KB, 900x500px
>>931220
If you mean that all weapons derived from tools you're right.
The Fairbarn Sykes design is optimized for stabbing into flesh and, more importantly, easy to pull out again. If you stab someone with a knife and the blade has the same thickness from tip to pommel, it will create a vacuum making it hard to pull it out.
The double edge allows a more frictionless entering of the body, which is also important because the blade would wander towards the direction the edge is facing, because a dull spine creates more friction.
This could result in miss of the targeted organ for example.
I think it is up to one's own ethical standpoint to call this a weapon or a tool lol.

Knife sperg over and out
>>
>>931203
A dagger wouldn't be my first pick, but it's better than no knife.
>>
>>931260
>If you stab someone with a knife and the blade has the same thickness from tip to pommel, it will create a vacuum making it hard to pull it out.

Thats dumb. Flesh isn't a slab of ballistic gelatin.
>>
>>931260
>it will create a vacuum making it hard to pull it out.
This is my bro Joker from the Island.
>>
>>931220
A weapon is a tool made for harming, a non-weapon knife is made for other uses than harming, you fucking retard
>>
>>931203
you cannot be serious.
>>
>>931203
pretty shit
>>
>>931357
not to mention that vacuum would not stop a child from pulling it the fuck out.
>>
>>931437
I'm no expert but isn't the real reason for the blade shape on stabbing weapons like the dagger in OP's pic so that it leaves more of a gaping wound that will bleed more profusely rather than one that kinda closes up once the knife is pulled out? A thick blade shape like the dagger will stretch the wound out entrance leaving a much bigger hole for blood to escape from than the wound produced by a thinner blade.
>>
>>931590
Partly this, but mostly the dagger design excels at facilitating penetration. The length and design were chosen to be used against heavier clothes worn around the European winter season. The double edge gives versatility in which way you want to cut, you can easily change direction if the way you were going turns out to be the path of most resistance. Furthermore, while a vacuum isn't the cause, because a dagger cuts both on the way in, and out, in either direction, it does create an easy to retrieve knife when buried into someone who has likely tensed up, changed stance, whatever that might make retrieval more difficult.
>>
>>931612

Exactly, a dagger is the optimal balance between penetration and and durability of the tool.

A lot of weapons in history were primarily stabbing tools.

-dagger
-early roman gladius
-spears (by far the most common war tool in all of human history)
-arrows
>>
I think that gentlemen Fairbairn and Sykes should have won some prize for practical design. This dagger is the epitome of a murder weapon in all of its simplicity.
>>
>>931699
The design has existed for fucking years tho.
>>
>>931203

according to Mors, the FS made a superior filleting knife, but for actually doing /out/ stuff, i'd stick to the tried and true formula of ~4 inch blade, single edge scandi/full flat grind, 1/8'' thick with a simple handle and no guard.
>>
>>931203
perfect to backstab wood gobelins
>>
>>931267
Not if it gets you arrested.
>>
File: STIHL-SWISS-BILL-HOOK[1].jpg (73KB, 1500x1338px) Image search: [Google]
STIHL-SWISS-BILL-HOOK[1].jpg
73KB, 1500x1338px
rather have pic related
>>
>>932476
Dude, this is out, not /chav/. We're talking about /out/door activities and bushcraft.

Grab a clue.
>>
>>931203

Sticking a boar or something to eat? Sure.

Poor choice otherwise.
>>
>>931700

Sorta

Medieval daggers (which were the #1 murder weapon back then), were longer and broader.

The FS and other similar daggers, are short and rather thin, but it's all done to the right size of reaching the specific vitals for a quick death, all with a concealable knife.

The KA-BAR and other fighting/utility knives are better IMO, as they can stab just fine, and you've got a spine for harder work.
>>
>>932537
>We're talking about /out/door activities and bushcraft.
No you aren't, you're talking about LARPing as SAS/SOE/OSS agents.
>>
>>931220
This is pedantic semantics.
>>
>>931220

The dagger was made for piercing. The way you hold and thrust with it, it ends up slipping in between rib cage, able to penetrate heart, lungs, etc.

It has nothing to do with penetration of the clothing, or vacuum it creates. Just designed to slip in between the ribs and fuck your shit up.
>>
>>932608

It'd work for pig sticking, which is as /out/ as you can get.

Same with filleting, food prep, and shaving sticks for kindling.
>>
>>932579
The Ka-Bar feels completely different.

I have the civilian version of the F&S knife. Made in postwar England as a pig sticker.

The F&S feels like fine instrument and the Ka-Bar a hammer in comparison.
Both are natural and instinctive to use.

The way you hold the dagger in your hand makes you want to move all gracefully and shit.
Like an autistic ballerina assassin who listens to classical music.

The Ka-Bar is adrenaline.
It makes you want to scream at someone's face then cut their head off after killing them.
>>
>>932608

Your shit's all messed up and you talk like a fag.
>>
>>931203
Good for killing enemy/10
>>
>>931612
>The double edge gives versatility in which way you want to cut
no it makes penetration of clothing easier you are not supposed to cut with a dagger.
>>
>>932579
>were longer and broader
well modern times allow for better metallurgy, and it's unlikely you will have to parry melee weapons with your modern assasin dagger.

doesn't change much of the mechanics tho.
>>
>>932579
>The KA-BAR and other fighting/utility knives are better IMO
well fighting knives are better for fighting and utility knives are more useful for fucking around with.
you want a spear point and a thicker cross sectioned but thinner blade for fighting rather than a bowie style large clip point, but a clip can be more useful for work.
>>
>>931203
Were you expecting to take out some sentries while camping?
>>
File: DSCN00782.jpg (3MB, 4112x3088px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00782.jpg
3MB, 4112x3088px
>>932513
I'm not sure how useful would that be /out/ since it's kind of a forestry tool. Yes it's great for cutting leaves and branches and I use it mainly as a small pickaroon to move logs but what use does it have camping? I'd rather have a hatchet
>>
>>934702

You don't?
>>
>>931257
I used a katana for about everything when I went hiking. I can't fish. Cut rope and fabric. Cut up a deer after I shot it. That hiking trip was fun. The down side is trying to get it clean after all that blood was splattered on the fabric of the handle.
>>
File: wjq308.jpg (147KB, 680x523px) Image search: [Google]
wjq308.jpg
147KB, 680x523px
OP, this is what you want for going /out/
>>
>>935591
What do you look like
>>
>>935591
hunting/hiking with a katana??? youre fuckin weird kid.
>>
>>931203

That's a bayonet. So, shit.
>>
>>935887
no it's not
>>
>>931203
Not very.
Yes it's a knife and as such can cut things, but the moment you need more leverage than a single unsupported hand can provide you will immediately see its shortcomings. Ever hear the saying "it's a two-edged sword"? You're about to find out about the reality of it.
Invest in bandaids. Seriously.
Overpenetration is also a thing to avoid, and when skinning game you will discover why. Puncture the colon or intestines-you'll have ruined a lot of meat. That's a good reason why most hunting knives have blades less than 5 inches long and don't end in spear points.
>>
>>935666
>Sure it looks like a shitty shovel, but it's more than that.
>Open it up and it's also a shitty pick, and the shovel edge is sharpened so it also works as a shitty hatchet.
>and at more than the cost of all three put together!
What a deal.

>>935871
>>935756
And here I thought /k/ was easily trolled...
>>
>>935591
Could be worse.
At least you're using yours.
>>
File: SHRAPNEL_OG_DESERT_4.png (142KB, 649x433px) Image search: [Google]
SHRAPNEL_OG_DESERT_4.png
142KB, 649x433px
>>931203
>>
>>935887

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn%E2%80%93Sykes_fighting_knife
>>
File: jääkäripuukko'.jpg (132KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
jääkäripuukko'.jpg
132KB, 750x750px
This is what you faggots want and need.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-110-carbon-steel/53634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btQxnxvfNlk
>>
>>931590

For that you want a triangular spike, like a trench spike.
>>
>>937335

I'm partial to their seax.
>>
>>931260
>it will create a vacuum making it hard to pull it out.

Are you double-tarded? That thing you probably call a "blood groove" is really called a fuller. And it's not to spill the blood out of the sides of a stab wound, it's to lengthen the knife with the same material without adding weight, like an I-beam. This pisses me off so much I'm so sorry for your damage REEEEEEEE
>>
>>935945
It's better to have a bunch of shitty tools, than a good tool designed for an extremely specific purpose. Why don't you camp with a lever axe anon?
>>
File: 20170110_173327.jpg (1MB, 2077x1103px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_173327.jpg
1MB, 2077x1103px
>>935591
You lying motherfucker, you dont even own one!
>>
>>939554
I bring a conventional axe and some hd bungie cords and a piece of chain.

I make a bundle, if I'm not starting with a whole log, and use the bungie and chain to hold all the logs together as I split.

The upside is you don't have to bend over and pick up each piece as you split. It's about 100 times faster.
>>
>>931203
great, as long you are going to impale yourself on it! get a normal knife mercutio...
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.