[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sierra Nevadas/Yosemite/JMT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: camp project.jpg (615KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
camp project.jpg
615KB, 1333x1000px
So I just moved to Coarsegold CA. anybody else live in the mountains? need outdoor buddies.
wanna get into day/weekend hikes and backpacking fishing trips.
just gonna outfit myself with a few things from Big 5 I think. Anybody e

>what are the rules for fires, bear proof containers, etc. in CA forests?
>whats gonna get me busted by rangers?
>just found out yesterday there is a shuttle that goes to Yosemite park EVERYDAY and back from here
>all I own is cotton jeans and jackets so how fucked am I come March?
>>
>>931056
I mean whats the cheapest gear I can do this since I guess all my money is going to a fishing license and probably a park pass
and is there a directory for innawoods trails and stuff up here?
can I just sleep out or do I need a tent?
>>
>>931056
You don't NEED anything, I slept just outside Yos last year while I was working on a ..ahem.. farm. The ground was actually warmer than the cabin I was provided. I would recommend some sort of insulating layer under your jeans, decent jacket of some sort.. If you don't have literally anything, know that I've been fine with nothing more than a knife, lighter and a jar of Nutella for weeks at a time. If you want to get gear, and just can't afford much, Tyvek makes a really good tarp or even raingear if you can sew, and can usually be picked up for free, and a $10 closed cell pad is better than an inflatable in every respect except pack volume, plus I do most of my hiking in tennis shoes. Don't over think it, people lived in this country long before it was a country, and did so with nothing but sticks and rocks.

Caveat: Bear spray. At least one huge son-of-a-bitch down there associates human beings with 2Gal buckets of molasses. Sorry.
>>
>what are the rules for fires, bear proof containers, etc. in CA forests?
fire limits are seasonal and elevation affected. search the nfs/nps sites for local restrictions. same with bearcans. the actual bears here are all timid black bears, stand tall and yell load and they'll go away.
you'll be fine. just check the forecasts and don't expect to do too much skiing this season.
>>
>whats gonna get me busted by rangers?
bandit camping in parks. easy $100+ fine and get kicked out for the night.
>>
>>931340
>>931339
>>931305
I'm just terrified of getting a fire fine. thats serious $$$.
I know you can have fires backpacking right? I just dont know the regulations.
I have a belt holster and a .38 I could take with me for bears but black bears are just overgrown raccoons. I just dont wanna be that guy out there with the pistol. I know rangers will fucking come down on you for that.
>>
>>931382
goddamn, you lazy fuck, just google "sierra national forest fire restrictions" or "yosemite fire restrictions" or wherever appropriate. i'm not going to list them for every place within 4 hours for you.
>>
File: rainbow.jpg (102KB, 900x263px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow.jpg
102KB, 900x263px
>>931711
bruh I'm asking people that have been there before.
whatever I'm gonna build up to doing some hiking. I think I'm gonna spend a weekend at Wishon or Courtright once the rain lets up enough.

>tfw dont have any trout tackle, just striper tackle
need to go get me some panther martins

oh and if you have never done this
>buy a box of stove top stuffing and bring a stick of butter
>load that shit in cleaned trout cavity with lots of butter and toss on the coals
>tell me it isnt the best way to have campfire trout
>>
>>931922
i'm 3 hours away from the sierra and spend literally weeks climbing and backpacking there every year, which is why i know that the are localized variations in restrictions for every park, forest, and wilderness, dependant on elevation, aspect, annual precipitation, and season. but go ahead continuing to be an entitled faggot who expects to be spoonfed information that you can find yourself in less than 5 minutes.

>spend a weekend at wishon or courtright when the rain lets up
kek. road's closed 'til at least may you dumb faggot.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170112-040745.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170112-040745.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
Sierras and Inyo def good if you want to avoid the Yosemite yokles. Planning next backpacking trip. Feels Goodman.
>>
File: Snapchat-1518750846.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1518750846.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>932037
>>
File: Snapchat-390379549.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-390379549.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>932040
>>
>>931922
>2017. Not using Red n gold spoons. SMHFM
>>
>>932032
>Road's closed.
lol, roads.

>>931922
>Stuffing
I'm doing this.
>>
>>932117
anyone who's ill-informed, ill-equipped, and inexperienced enough to think they're going to wishon for "a weekend when the rain lets up" and admits to only owning cotton pants and jackets needs a road.
>>
>>932136

You're very right.
>>
>>932136
yeah the road isn't closed faggot. I've gone camping there in Feb and March before. I'm beginning to think I know more than you buddy.

allthought they actually did shut down yosemite park for 3 days right after new years this year. the rain has been wonderful but everything is flooded up here.

I mean I imagine lots of trails and roads and everything has been completely washed out or covered in debris.

>used to sleep under trees until 2 gooks got killed last year sleeping under an oak
>>
>>932178
>yeah the road isn't closed faggot. I've gone camping there in Feb and March before
>https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/home/?cid=stelprdb5399344
>Mckinley Grove Road Closes 12/01, Access to Courtright and Wishon is cut-off.
>lying on the internet and expecting to not get caught
>>
>>931056
You live in Coarsegold? I live like 5 minutes from Oakhurst towards Mariposa.

Small world.
>>
>>932185
>>931056
Me again.

You'll learn to hate Yosemite and all the idiots that go there thinking they're outdoorsman woods people. Plus NPS regulates the shit ouf of everything and the list of things you can do within NPS boundaries is depressingly bad. Get used to planning trips in the Sierra Nat'l Forest and use BLM land too.

Rules for anything in general in Sierra NF are pretty loose, fires when its safe, bear proof containers are on you if you feel you need them, etc.

>Whats gonna get me busted by rangers

I know the SNF rangers personally and as long as you're not a filthy pot grower or dumping your trash you'll be fine.

>just found out yesterday there is a shuttle that goes to Yosemite park EVERYDAY and back from here

Funny, they're considering closing that shuttle this year. Oakhurst hates that it brings homeless people from Fresno really easily.

Are you serious? You're fine.
>>
File: mckinley grove road.jpg (504KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
mckinley grove road.jpg
504KB, 2016x1512px
>>932178
>yeah the road isn't closed faggot
>I imagine lots of trails and roads and everything has been completely washed out
well, you were half right. this is the road to courtright/wishon
>>
>>932209
Ooh... Look at how yellow that paint is and how black the asphalt is! That shit must wash out every year.
>>
>>932188
>filthy pot growers
Found the virgin nerd.
>>
>>932259
>Found the virgin nerd.

Have you ever seen an illegal grow in the woods?

I'm not talking about you growing your single weed plant in your moms kitchen.
>>
File: darkness graham.jpg (453KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
darkness graham.jpg
453KB, 1360x768px
>>932185
>>932188
my nigga. let me know if you ever wanna meet up and do some shit. I'm a terrible whiny camper guy but I'm pretty funny and bring stuff to the table.
I'm just a pussy now. ever since I turned 30 wind chill fucking cuts me like a serrated knife. wind chill just ends me now. I remember being able to go t shirt windbreaker at the coast during coastal storms and loving it while everyone is shivering. now I'm a bitch when the wind picks up.

no trolling.
>what the fuck is this proper white mans fire everyone on here is about?
I'm the asshole who just builds a big inefficient fire circle everytime and cook shit on sticks and rocks

so what is a proper white mans fire? and how do you guys pack in pack out rocket stoves?
>>
>>931056
what do you need that thing for
>>
>>933176
its just something guys around a campfire make after 2 30 racks of coors.

looks cool. makes people laugh.
>>
>>933134
Yeah man I'm always down to bring more people around.

Winter time is for overlanding (adventure off-roading) and suffering hardcore while rain camping. I do a lot of mine exploration and such around this time too.

Thing about the Sierras is that as soon as April rolls around the weeds get so bad you can't veer off trail at all. Plus poison oak and rattle snakes and all that. Not fun.

Summer time fire danger is such a problem its hard to really do much of anything extensively unless you're in the high country.

I do a lot of boating/wakeboarding etc at Lake McClure and surrounding lakes until winter rolls back around. In my opinion summer time where we're at is legitimately solid misery. But theres plenty to do in both times of the year. Luckily theres a lot of water around us.
>>
>>932415
This. Scary as shit to stumble across one. Booby traps, guards with itchy trigger fingers, and super-toxic illegal pesticides all over the place.

I've got my fingers crossed that legalization is going to cut down on this bullshit.
>>
File: smokycouldntpreventthis.jpg (455KB, 2758x1556px) Image search: [Google]
smokycouldntpreventthis.jpg
455KB, 2758x1556px
>>933195
OP here.
cool man I'm down. gimme your email or make a throwaway if you want and I'll get back to you. I trying to convince my buddy with his 300$ marmot bag and all his gear to come up and visit for a trip at the end of Feb.
>>933200
story time
>just hiking in the central CA valley
>like the no mans land between san benito and fresno county
>probably been trespassing for however long but buddy has a hard on for BLM land and waterfalls
>huh there's some strands of trees all popping up out of nowhere in these hills
>finally get there
>illegal outdoor grow (you see the helicopters all the time searching for them overhead)
>like about over a hundred plants
>huh lots of refuse and signs of camp here
>THAT WE HAVE EYES ON US RIGHT NOW FEELING
>start talking really loudly about how nice the plants are and no intention of taking any, we oughta get going anyways as casual as we can
>some mexicans or hmong that dont speak english living up in the hills probably heard us coming a mile away and were waiting to see what we were gonna do next
>buddy had a pistol on his belt so that probably escalated things already
>back out and feel sketched out until we make it back to a road
that somethings watching me feeling is hard to shake

man I'm just trying to figure out how to use a fire for warmth. all I've ever done is make a big fire pit and throw as much wood on it as I can. the fuck are these rocket stoves used as heaters all about? seems like the smoke would suffocate you in a tent right?
I'm sure there are ways to build fires for warmth at night I just need to learn them.
>>
>>933229
Me again.

Yeah I've come across one riding my mountain bike.

I always carry when in SNF but honestly I just rode off as quickly as I could.

>riding through the woods
>pedaling hard uphill
>oh cool never seen this trail before
>not really paying attention
>stop and look around
>notice water lines and trash everywhere
>immediately notice somethings watching me

Yeah just rode off as best I could, pretty scared.

Also, not sure what you mean by rocket stove. You shouldn't need any warmth in the tent, your gear and sleeping bag is your warmth. Tent is to keep the rain/snow/bugs/raccoons out.
>>
>>933325
wait so I can carry my pistol in SNF? good to know
>>
>>931056
whelp its snowing now so I guess I'm postponing another month
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.