[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: GOAT_Dustrude.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
GOAT_Dustrude.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
What is the best /out/ saw and why is it the Dustrude buck saw?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>930824
Saws are tools. They come in many styles for specific uses. The best saw is the style of saw specially designed for the job you want to perform with it.

So, what jobs are you going to perform while out? Pair the correct saw with those jobs.
>>
File: chainsaw.jpg (51KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw.jpg
51KB, 564x423px
>>930852
this packs smaller
>>
Boreal 21 is way better. Dustrude's wooden handle absorbs water.
>>
>>930880
Ever try to use one of those? It is terrible. It is worth it to use an actual blade.
>>
>>930824
It depends on what you're using it for but the best general purpose saw the I've used is the Silky Ibuki. Fairly lightweight but very durable and a sharp blade will melt logs up to a foot thick. However my favorite is the old fashioned double buck crosscut but that's only really necessary if you are doing serious trail work in designated Wilderness where you can't use a chainsaw.
>>
>>930919
Are you fucking stupid? Build it right and it's rock solid, easily field repairable. For that matter you can build a frame in about ten minutes with a dull rock
>>
>>930927
Just love when people use pruning saws while glamping
>>
>>930928
yeah but a chainsaw is meant to be used with a grooved bar and at high speeds. Do you really think it cuts better than a hand saw?
Also an actual blade is a lot cheaper than a chain loop that you have to cut down
>>
>>930930
Wouldn't really describe doing trail work 20 miles in the backcountry for 9-10 days at a time as glamping but I can tell you that those saw are good for a hell of a lot more than pruning.
>>
>>930893
Came here to recommend this one.

Takes a standard length non proprietary blade.

I love mine.
>>
>>930893
What problems have you encountered wth yours due to the handle absorbing water?

I had a Boreal 21 and thought it had the same drawback as a lot of other foldable buck saws: lack of area between the frame and the blade. On all of those triangle frame saws, when cutting through a large diameter log, by the time you get halfway through you have only a few inches of the stroke before bottoming out on the frame.

>>930977
Dustrudes take a standard blade available in most any hardware store as well.
>>
>>930852
Describe the job the saw in your picture would excel at as compared with a Dustrude.

My job is generally along the lines of sawing wood in two.
>>
>>930933
There are special chains for hand chainsaws and they work really good, but I never tried to use it like in the pic.
>>
>>930988
Boreal isn't a triangle saw dude, pic related:
>>
>>931032
If you don't understand what I am referring to that is OK, but you should try actually using a buck saw once and it will become clear.
>>
File: ms660.jpg (36KB, 510x215px) Image search: [Google]
ms660.jpg
36KB, 510x215px
>>930824

Best saw? MS660
>>
>>931074
Too heavy.

Ms150
>>
>>931074
I work with 064 it's a hell of a saw. But it's heavy and jugs gasoline in the small stuff I'd like to get a 036 or a 361.
Where are you?
>>
File: 13t0121s1.jpg (59KB, 600x343px) Image search: [Google]
13t0121s1.jpg
59KB, 600x343px
I got this 36" (bigger one), $13 CAD swede saw a few months ago and I love it. The great thing is that when it breaks, you just build a buck saw in the meantime then buy a new one. Mine hasn't broken and I doubt it ever will because even though its pretty cheap, its basic as fuck and I treat it right.

All the pictures you people are posting are of 20" or less saws. In the winter when its -25C, that isn't going to do shit. You need the full 36 inches to build a white man fire that'll keep you warm. You need at least 7 inch diameter logs, preferably 10 inch or bigger. Something like 15 logs about 6 feet long minimum.

Of course, this is if you want a fire that will actually let you sleep with an open shelter. You can live with fist diameter logs and tiny Indian fire but you won't be sleeping much.
>>
>>931079
New Zealand

Yeah, it's heavy and thirsty.
But it cuts like a knife through butter.
>>
>>931084
Sweet. What woods do you cut? 660 is for the big stuff
>>
>>931080
So shocked to find someone on /out/ who prefers them 10" or bigger.

Meanwhile, back in reality, the most of us with backpacking stoves for our hot tents couldn't fit a 10" diameter log into them, so we actually do just fine with much less. Besides, your pic isn't a packable saw unless you are willing to suffer the weight penalty and presumably strap the thing to the outside of your pack.

In any case I got stuck for 4 days by a snowstorm on Admiralty last year during goat season and made it through with a packable buck saw just fine.
>>
>>931080
Do you think it is a viable option to pack just the blade and make a wooden frame in the woods? Maybe carry a small folding saw for the purpose, I have a victorinox knife and its little saw is enough to cut three branches and make a couple notches and then you have a big saw for your firewood
>>
>>930988
Wood checked, then warped. Dustrude frames in general feel chintzy compared to a boreal 21.
>>
>>930824
It's not, because the Silky Gomboy is.
>>
>>931074
MS 361 GOD TIER
>>
I use a cheap folding handsaw I got from my dad. No idea the brand. Shitty plastic handle, cuts on the pull, and makes short work of basically anything besides oak.
>>
>>931311
anything besides oak?
>>
File: 317nwX0mMmL.jpg (14KB, 500x169px) Image search: [Google]
317nwX0mMmL.jpg
14KB, 500x169px
I've used my Wyoming Saw II for years for hunting and backpacking. I go through a green wood blade every couple of years. Great qualtiy
>>
>>931068
I'm well aware of what you're referring to, but to say that the Boreal (or the dustrude as it shares the same design) are more akin to a triangle saw than a buck saw is stupid.

Know your tool buddy,

>>931080
I'm in the temperate boreal forest, 21'' is more than enough to process a nights worth of wood here.
>>
>>930933
based on the vids i saw they cut a bit faster than blade saws.
>>
>>931388
It you can't identify the difference between the frame design of the Dustrude and the Boreal and relate that to the impact on actual use, I don't believe we can have a production exchange.

I've the luxury of having used both so I needn't guess.
>>
>>931106
Mostly pine, but also cut some native hardwood from time to time.
I also use the 660 on an alaskan mill with a 36" bar and skip tooth chain.
Cuts pretty damn nice.
>>
what do you guys think of the EX Kut pruning folding saw?
>>
>>930893
wooden handle absorbs water - put some shit on it then?
>>
>>932542
You could boil it in fucking wax, it's still wood and it's still a shit choice for a handle for something used often outside and being exposed to the elements periodically
>>
Opinions on a silky big boy 360 with large teeth?
>>
>>932545
Yeah, and wtf @ hickory axe handles?!? Lmfao! Glass-nylon fiskars ftw, amirite?!?!11!!

Seriously bud, you're on the wrong board :|
>>
>>932657
Seriously bud, are you stunned?
>>
>>932657
Hickory and ash axe handles are used because they absorb vibration well are straight grained and stronkkk
>>
>>931112
Its a cheap saw so it does not weigh as much as it looks. It weights 2.2lbs just weighed it. The energy saved by having such a large saw is far greater than the energy that would be expended carrying a 5lb saw. I strap it to my pack, yes.

Maybe I should have considered that not everybody likes to build natural shelters and that lots of /out/ people use stoves and tents. You're right in that regard, you don't need a giant saw for that.

That being said, I do like to build natural shelters and use minimal equipment, just a saw, axe, knife, and ferrocerium rod. It takes an enormous amount of energy to do this and a little saw like 10 or 20 inches is just unfeasible. By the time I get through one log with a little saw like that, I'm all tuckered out. Maybe I'm just a big puss puss.

>>931119
Only if you're really fast at making those saws. I'm not so fast and it takes me a long time to make a poor saw because I've only done it a few times. This is what Mors Kochansky does I believe, but then again, he can make one in under 10 minutes, maybe faster. The other thing is that a saw you make out in the woods will weigh a lot because the wood is not dried out. Just my opinion though, I'm not an expert, just some guy.
>>
SILKY
I
L
K
Y

I have the bigboy medium teeth and it is nice. But it does flex so this thread is relevant to my interests.
>>
>>932545
You are the quintessential millenial (don't worry, I'm a millenial technically, born '86) - you expect everything to last without upkeep.

Lemmi tell you the reason why wood, carbon steel, and leather, and other 'old' tech are good.

if you take care of them they perform amazingly well.

Wood is an amazing material, and having to not neglect your tools is a tiny price to pay for it.

t. Boreal21 user who still appreciates craftmanship
>>
>>932649
Get it.
>>
>>934049
Aweeee found the fag that keeps all his cutting tools inside his apartment to keep them warm and snug
>>
>>931074
If you want to carry that and fuel for 150 miles over rough terrain, sure.
I'll stick to >>930852 thanks.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.