[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wool Blankets. Anybody like wool blankets here? Any advice on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15

File: hbc-620x410.jpg (51KB, 620x410px) Image search: [Google]
hbc-620x410.jpg
51KB, 620x410px
Wool Blankets.

Anybody like wool blankets here? Any advice on what brands of blankets are best? I'm interested in getting an HBC blanket because I'll just sell a knife or two from my collection to cover most of the cost.

I love me my wool blanket. I'm not a pussy who doesn't know how to build a proper white man fire so I don't depend on a sleeping bag for warmth. My wool blanket right now spreads out the heat wonderfully so I don't get hot spots that are inevitable in windy -30C when the warmed air instantly cuts off from super hot to witch-tit cold on an invisible line.
>>
Also anybody have experience with Alpaca4less blankets?
>>
>>930055
Woolrich makes gud wool blankets. expensive, but apparently some of the best, and oldest
>>
>$300+ for a blanket that you can get used
lel

In Italy and France I've seen blankets made from white lambskin with the hair still on.
They're heavy, but no chance of wind getting trough.
They were much more expensive than $300 though.
>>
File: hbc flag.gif (6KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
hbc flag.gif
6KB, 500x250px
>>930055
My HBC blanket is itchy and it seems to be a magnet for ragweed pollen if I use it the fall. Unless you're going to Rupert's Land for some period correct LARPing as a fur trader, a good down bag is warmer, lighter, packs smaller, and is just as elitist.
>>
>>930056

Not with them but I have a poncho from alpacamall.com that is soooo soft. If its the same thread supplier for both companies I wouldn't hesitate.
>>
>>930071
Do they roll up small?
>>
I think the smallest rolling ones are the US Army. But they're as durable as others.
>>
My blanket is great, I think it's Australian Military but it's white not green. Nice and warm, rolls up a little big though, strapping it on my backpack can set the balance off a little I haven't quite perfected the placement for it.
>>
>>930113
sure if you buy a small one
>>
File: IMG_1673.png (484KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1673.png
484KB, 640x1136px
>>930055
You won't even need to sell a knoife!
>>
>>930055
>>930200
Don't buy harborfreight wool blankets. Yeah they're cheap but they aren't 80/20 (even though it says they are). They smell like cancer and plastic. I wouldn't doubt they're carcinogenic.
>>
>>930206
But they're made in Chiner and Chiner has like 2 billion people. They seem to be thriving just fine.
>>
>>930211
That's because they all keep fucking, when they really shouldn't the government even imposed a one-baby law (which i myself don't support, and whenever a Chiner guy kills himself or dies 5 guys take his place.
>>
File: 232159_ts.jpg (159KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
232159_ts.jpg
159KB, 1155x1155px
buy a used swiss army blanket
>>
>>930217
I've only found repros that arent 100% wool. Where can I find the real deal?
>>
>>930225
It's nearly impossible to find a 100% wool blanket these days. And if you want a good quality one, expect the price to be $100+
>>
>>930225
woolrich usually are 100% but be prepared to pay
i own
Hudson's Bay Multi 4 Point Full Wool Blanket
>>
>>930055
I love em OP. The Hudson Bay ones are heirloom quality, but there are other good ones out there. You can buy direct from some woolen mills too.

>you know you really want the HBC coyote blanket though
>>
>>930206
It's flame retardant that causes the smell and yes it's carcinogenic.
>>
I have a great red one but my family lost their shit thinking I'd sleep in the dirt with it

This whole "you can't clean them after you get them dirty!" idea is a meme, innit?
>>
>>930427
Yeah you can wash them. I usually do mine by hand in the tub.
>>
>>930200
hyuck hyuck

>>930206
this guy says it perfectly, harbrfreight smells like fire retardant and piss.

I find that with the size of fire needed for very cold weather, it spits up huge embers that end up destroying blends. Pure wool is the way to go.
>>
>>930284
If I had 3600 buckaroos to spend on a blanket, I still wouldn't, I would make my own.
>>
>>930427
I just don't wash my wool blanket unless it falls in mud or something.

But yeah the HBC says you can just hand wash it, blot the bulk of the water out with toils (don't wring it) and the hang it to dry fully.
>>
>>930104
>LARPing as a fur trader

Kek
>>
I'd like to hear what you guys think about my idea. It starts with a wool blanket, an emergency mylar blanket, and a cotton sheet sewn together like a sandwich in that order. Between the wool and the mylar is a small amount of down (maybe the equivalent of a 40* sleeping bag, bought in bulk). The cotton sheet on top would prevent the mylar from tearing and obviously the wool would be used closest to body. Everything would be sewn in a pattern to hold down in place.
>>
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just need the right sized blankets, may cost a bit. Go for it man and keep us updated.

I don't know how sewing a mylar blanket would work out though.
>>
>>930643
You'd have no way to wash it.

Mylar blankets are only good for a few hours when held right up to the skin because they don't breath at all. Its having a rubber blanket, it will just collect the moisture coming off your body. I don't know if the wool wicking it up will be good enough, its a good thought, I'd like to know how that works.

I have been thinking it would be an awesome idea to have wool, down, wool so you can use it outdoors and not worry about sparks and shit and you get to have awesome benefits of wool next to the skin. But then that raises the question of cost to value. It might be more cost effective just to buy a bunch reindeer furs and sew them together. ~120 CAD for a flawed (scarred) pelt, probably 2 pelts for a twin size blanket. Fur would of course only last so long (1 to 5 years depending on how you treat it) before its too worn out but still, the wool and down blanket I'm talking about might cost like 600 bucks if its 200 for each wool blanket and 200 for the down. The pelt blanket might be 250 bucks and it would be far warmer, wind proof, breathable, and equally water resistant. I have a reindeer hide and its about an inch thick on the body and two inches thick on the neck. Super warm. The reindeer blanket would be really heavy though and it wouldn't look that pretty because its not made of a bunch of smaller pelts and would but cut up strangely to make a good rectangle.
>>
>>930225
if you are from germany:
https://www.raeer.com/shopexd.asp?id=35295

to be honest, i can't find them anywhere else. I got mine a few years ago with the smell of diesel for about 50€
>>
>>930727
There's lots of blankies on there.
Why is the Swiss one particularly sought after?
>>
>>930076
Anyone know what those blankets are called?
>>
File: il_340x270.1031627816_aosu.jpg (22KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.1031627816_aosu.jpg
22KB, 340x270px
>>930739
'cause hipsters think they're vintage or something along the lines
>>
>>930727
Welp. Looks like I'm getting some east european blanket instead.
>>
i picked up a pendleton nat park blanket (crater lake) from this place by me that buys used or open things from amazon for 60 bucks and i love the thing i take it everywhere. Probably going to buy a camp blanket from them to.
Most are 100% wool
they are beautiful and well worth the price i think there about 220-260 for a queen size.
you will have it forever and its so warm
>>
>>930759
hipsters ruin everything
>>
Why is wool so expensive? The methods and technology to make it are ancient and there are many areas in developing nations that raise sheep / llamas / alpacas and produce cheap wool garments and blankets for local use. Why haven't some American and/or European companies set up shop in these developing nations to mass produce inexpensive wool products for export to 1st world markets?
>>
>>931493
The push for cotton. Also, you're getting wool from an animal. The animal needs time to grow the wool. Then the wool needs to be cleaned and separated. Etc, Etc
>>
>>931516
We also get leather from animals, tanning / processing leather is a time consuming process that often leaves toxic waste behind that must be dealt with. Depending on the brand / quality, some leather goods can be had for fairly low prices as well. I know it's apples vs oranges but it seems like should be a bit cheaper in comparison. Then again, every cow and pig that is slaughtered produces a green hide that sells for next to nothing so maybe it has something to do with that.
>>
>>931493
>>931516
Not to mention that there a different grades of wool, the length and softness also needs to be taken into account.

And I've not heard much of a conglomeration of different wools (sheep, llama, alpaca).

I think it's Australia that has the wool market in it's control so that's another reason to hate Australia.
>>
>>930670
I'm not sure wether blanket wool is downproof. Also, two thick blankets AND down in between (which you'd need to quilt in a good way) is way too thick.
You could try and make a sleeping bag (I bet there are sewing patterns somewhere) from thin wool and synthetic insulation; neither are very expensive.

>>931493
The kind of sheep that are easy to raise are actually not the merino kind that gives crazy soft wool. European wool for example is mostly used for carpets and technical insulation, because it is too rough for the delicate skin of modern people.
>>
>>931523
The thing I'm most angry about is that there is no wool clothing in the US besides socks that I can find. I usually have to look on European sites but I'm not paying +20 dollars for shipping.
>>
>>931527
http://www.filson.com/
http://www.pendleton-usa.com/thumbnail/Men/Clothing/WOOL-SHIRTS/2079/c/2415/pc/1814.uts
https://woolandprince.com/
>>
>>931532
if you have a pendleton outlet by you i would suggest going because they get shit for half the price. and outlet not just a store. i make a 3 hour trip or 5 hour trip to the ones closest to me about 2x a year the quality of the clothes is unmatched
>>
>>931532
>>931563
Thank
>>
Wait, so what's the consensus on getting wool blankets than don't cost a shit ton? I'd love to have some just for around the house but I'm not paying 1 to 300 bucks for a blanket...
>>
>>931734
Buy used.
>>
>>931527
I get all my merino wool baselayer clothing from REI.com
>>
>>931734
It is better to get a lamb, raise it, sheer it, make blankets, sell blankets to hipsters for $500.
>>
Any suggestions on a really light wool blanket? Light like a flannel thickness. Or a good summer flannel blanket?
>>
>>931734
New? Not possible unless you want harbor-fright cat piss blankeys.

Used blankets on kijiji

Grandma's old blankets
>>
I have two Hudson bay 3 1/2 pointers, and about 5 other blankets. Mostly the best quality surplus ones I can find. HBC are god tier for sure.

I love the fuck out of wool, but I don't use my wool blankes for /out/.
>>
<$
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/military-surplus/military-camping/blankets?d=122&c=162&s=136
>>
>>933406
Get Serbian/Yugo circa 60s-90s or Polish. Most surplus blankets are shit and virtually all of them are cut to be used on beds, even the good ones, and are too short and narrow to properly wrap yourself in unless you're a turbo manlet.
>>
why not just buy a mexican blanket?
>>
I am going to Peru later this year, will they have cheap, decent quality alapaca blankets there?

Have socks and a blanket from a US alapac farm, super comfy but also insanely expensive...
>>
Other brands to add to wool thread

>Icebreaker
>Smartwool
>Darn Tough
>Ibex
>Farm to Feet
>Fox River
>Point6
>minus33
>>
>>933798
This. Wool and cheap. Wool isn't an expensive material yall are getting ripped off.
>>
>>930217
how do i open wine bottles with this?
>>
>>936510
I'm thinking of getting an alpaca wool blanket but the issue is that to ship it to Canada it costs 70 bucks plus I get to pay some fine taxes on it when it arrives so it evens out to a normal wool blanket. I feel like I'll be paying more for something of lesser quality because its cheaper.
>>
>mfw all my alpaca, cashmere and merino wool blankies are form fitting and have buttons or pull over
>>
>>937094
>form fitting
Please elaborate
>>
>>930055
Use ebay and search for old vintage wool blankets. I got one that is 100% wool (with ugly peach Rayon border) for only $10. However, it is a really ugly peach color. I sandwich it between a sheet and a quilt.

In fact, there's another one on ebay right now for $15ish. Also, ugly ass peach/pink color. lol

Just google the company name to make sure it is 100% wool.
>>
>>930055
>Anybody like wool blankets here?
imo a small (3'x3' 1mx1m) wool blanket should be in every "oh crap I'm lost" bag
because primarily because wool still insulates when wet
it isn't much
but it will be enough to keep you warm long enough to get a fire going and build a hasty shelter

as far as a regular use blanket, I don't recommend wool unless you are doing a lot of camping in the snow
there are many synthetic fabrics that have better insulation for the weight
>>
>>936701
>wrap blanket around neck of bottle
>crush neck of bottle
>pour wine through blanket to sift out glass
>>
>>937202
Repeating DAT mystical wool warmth meme like a true trailblazer
>>
>>937205
then why do my feet stay warm walking through snow-melt streams wearing wool socks but freeze after a few seconds in all synthetic or blend socks I've tried?

honestly asking
if I could be doing something better, I want to do something better
>>
>>930055
if a drop of water touches it, it will instantly kill you
>>
>>937209
Because they're thicker? Am I able to count how many variables there are? They retain only a small fraction of their ability to trap and retain heat. Far better to keep them dry, I use bama socks.
>>
>>937296
This, I use a synthetic sock liner to wick moisture away, with a wool sock over it. From the looks of it your bama socks do the same thing, I'll have to look into then
>>
File: bag.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
bag.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
my fave for canoe camping is this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I80VWP6/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
>>
>>937094
>>937183
he wears jumpers and cardigans
>>
File: Mom don't look.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Mom don't look.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>937205
>muh blogger """"""""""""""""""""science""""""""""""""""""""
>>
File: not creepy at all.jpg (98KB, 800x1075px) Image search: [Google]
not creepy at all.jpg
98KB, 800x1075px
>>937398
Or wool ponchos.
>>
>>937229
Lol what? Are you retarded. Wool retains its warmth when wet you dumb fuck
>>
Don't use wool. Plastic based synthetic fibers are better because they will give you cancer. Fellow goyim.
>>
>>937792
Not even close to the amounts claimed by dummies like you
>>
>>937183
Whatchu know bout Hudson bay blankets?
>>
>>931355
Tfw hipster
>>
In Order of retardedness
>>937229
>
>>937792
>
>>937807 (He's pretty much right)
>>
File: 04629563_zi_multi.jpg (28KB, 308x357px) Image search: [Google]
04629563_zi_multi.jpg
28KB, 308x357px
pendelton wool starwars blanket
>>
File: pendleton_star_wars_blankets_1.jpg (830KB, 960x1083px) Image search: [Google]
pendleton_star_wars_blankets_1.jpg
830KB, 960x1083px
pendelton wool blankets
>>
>>938053
Do they make any #notmypresident ones?
>>
>>938029
Obviously if it's fucking soaked and 0 degrees it's going to be a bad time but I would way rather have it from 30 to 55 degrees wet that cotton that is for sure.

You guys are dumb as fuck if you don't wear wool socks and a silk liner sock. Summer and winter.
>>
>>938071
Why? Are a giant homo or fat woman with blue hair? Is that you why desire one anon?
>>
>>938085
lol fuck off back to pol you chumptard
>>
>>938084
>>938084
than cotton that is*
>>
File: tumblr_o9emjglXkU1r9hfg8o1_500.jpg (81KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9emjglXkU1r9hfg8o1_500.jpg
81KB, 500x667px
>>938086
Is pic related you?

Don't you have a march to be turning a garbage can over at as you forage for food?
>>
>>938084
Synthetic socks in light shoes works fine for summer.
>>
>>938113
Wool and silk stops blisters for when you're actually carrying weight and putting on real miles. Wool and silk won't rub your feet raw when wet either.

Your 2 mile 4 hour loop you and your fat girlfriend do in a park is not hiking.
>>
>>938086
You're the one who brought it up, retard. Shut up about politics on /out/.
>>
>>937183
>what is a fucking sweater for $500, alex?
>>
File: sam.jpg (951KB, 2054x2513px) Image search: [Google]
sam.jpg
951KB, 2054x2513px
>>937434
>panchoes
Don't ne a fool.
>>
>>938121
Your socks don't rub your feet raw, your shoes do ya dipshit
>>
>>938121
If you're getting blisters on your feet when you hike, you're wearing the wrong boots.

I always hike with cotton or synthetic socks in the summer, and that includes up to 20-mile days with a ~40 lb pack. I can't remember ever getting a blister on my feet.
>>
>>937198
Wool can be dyed. The peach color is dyed too.
There are no peach sheep. (except in Tbilisi)
>>
>>938183
>>938178
Lol. Yes that will you retard. I don't know why you guys are lying.

I spend 400 dollars a year on boots wearing them put hiking every year. I don't use dollar general stuff. I know how a boot should fit me.

You hike 20 miles in a day with 40 pounds and don't get blisters? Okay tough guy. I'm sure those cotton and synthetic socks smell great too. Wool and silk don't stink.

Kill yourselves.
>>
I tried to find wool cape for hiking, but they are surprisingly hard to find. What the heck, I just want cape for switching temperatures here during fall.
>>
>>930055
HBC sells all their branded shit for 50% once a year around fall.
>>
>>938520
>He spends 400 Bucks on boots that don't fit
>His sensitive little nose can't stand a little smell
It's alright boy, you're on the right board to get better.
>>
>>938654
You're a dumb ass and your going to fuck someone's foot up lying. You do not hike 20 miles with 40lbs and cotton socks. You're lying. Stop.

I spend 200 per pair and wear LOWAs so please don't tell me I don't know how to fit a boot. Lowas work better for me than Merrell or keen or any other boot.

Please just shut the fuck up.

Anyone reading this get wool socks and silk liner. Darn tough socks are very good. I honestly like REI brand merino wool socks a lot as well and they are much cheaper. I use their silk liner too. Spend the extra dollar or two for silk.

Also yell smell matters you retard. If you have ever been a back country hunt you would know to keep scent down ad much as you can.

I would pay to see you pack out an elk in quarters wearing your boots and cotton socks in late fall. Please go try.
>>
>>938664
fuck off wool shill woolis inferior to poly-cotton
>>
>>938677
Kill yourself.
>>
>>938206
But, I don't care what the blanket looks like. I was just commenting on it because it is important in order to find cheap prices. You are quite correct though.
>>
>>938664
How well do silk socks hold up? I've thought about using polypro liners, but I heard they really do stink.
>>
>>938664
Actually dipshit it is far more important to to observe wind direction when hunting. I go hunting right after work smelling like a rotting wildebeest and still bag my deer, elk, and bear
>>
>>938664
Wear scentlock products and don't be a faggot, faggot.
>>
>>937204
>drink lingering of wine from damp red corner of blanket
>drink lingering of wine from damp red beard
>>
>>938734
>>938733
Okay tough guys. Hunting from your car or baiting a bar is not hard.

>>938725
I have had no problems. They get a lot less wear and tear because the are inside a wool sock as a liner. They are very thin. REI sells the for like 9 bucks a pair
>>
>>939086
I'm not an injun and my area bans baiting for bear or any other animal
>>
>>930409
proof?
>>
>>930593
only $1900 at Lord and Taylor
>>
>>931734
Pendleton Yakimas are around $100 online
>>
>>938664
I don't know how you are supposed to walk around for a day and not smell. A pair of silk socks are not going to make you scentless, that's for sure. And usually most important thing is to know wind direction.

Also, 20 miles with 40lbs doesn't sound that weird. What does sound weird is wool socks, since those can get nasty fast, though pretty much necessary in cold weather, depending on shoes of course.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.