[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AYO sc/out/s HARSH CLIMATE STORIES THREAD I frequent /lit/ and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: frall it kendo.jpg (31KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
frall it kendo.jpg
31KB, 800x800px
AYO sc/out/s HARSH CLIMATE STORIES THREAD

I frequent /lit/ and /out/ and there is an author by the name of Cormac McCarthy that is obsessed with the climate and geography of the South West - specifically the Texas-Mexico border area. If you've seen No
Country for Old Men its the guy who wrote teh book behind the film.

I've spent time inna Adirondacks and select Pacific Islands, not exactly the most punishing environments.

What stories do you have about Mother Nature and her apathy towards your wellbeing? General harsh climate thread.
>>
>>928350
**************the
>>
No Country for Old Men is A E S T H E T I C with the 80's rural Texas and neo-western themes
>>
>>928527
>t. too young to have watched Hud
>>
>>928537
My apologies sir
>>
>grow up in West coast US until 14
>Move to Canada with mom
>Second winter there decide to go exploring in the bush
>Decide to take way I haven't gone before
>Starts to Blizzard
>I'm in tennis shoes, jeans, a shirt, and cotton zip up hoodie
> Get lost
>Wander around freezing and wet for 2 hours trying to find a road
>Find one finally
>Another 2 walk home
Achilles were bloody when I got home and was happy that I didn't die. Wasn't deep innawoods or anything but changing climates and having nobody to teach me anything was a huge and tough learning experience. Also, McCarthy is a fucking amazing author. I guess he pretty much grew up in a shack in the South growing up. The road has a nice /out/ feel to it.
>>
>>928350

I live in central Alberta, Canada and that's of course where I go do my bushcraft. I like to like to live out there as often as possible for as long as possible when I can. I try to live like the old trappers and traders because I just find it really appealing and practical. I take essentially just a wool blanket, a knife, a small axe, a saw, some food and a pot, and then a bag of backup supplies that just stays incase of emergency.

>Have done survival scenarios a lot before
>Decide to try hard mode this time
>Middle of winter
>About -30C
>2 or 3pm, only maybe 2 hours of sunlight left
>no tarp, no means of shelter, nothing
>build a fire, keeping it small until it gets dark and cold
>build a sketchy shelter, bare minimum, hardly anything at all, just a big heap of wood and spruce boughs resembling a lean-to
>Hard mode so no using axe or saw
>Start collecting dead standing trees, nothing bigger than fist diameter
>In that weather, you need hundreds and hundreds of pounds of logs at least 8 inches in diameter
>hard mode so no flashlight
>takes twice as long to collect wood in the dark with night vision but I keep at it until something like 10 or 11pm
>I have a pile of twigs compared to what I should have
>Get ready for the night, build my fire slightly bigger but still really small
>Over that night I got 30 minute intervals of sleep before I woke up from the cold and slid more of my overgrown pencils into the fire
>I kept having to get up and do jumping jacks, pushups, and squats to warm myself up
>I felt like you do after leaving a cozy and warm restaurant after 2 hours, suddenly the slightest cold makes your muscles spasm and it feels like your bones are bleeding ice
>spoiler i lived

I heard Mors Kochansky say this as the most important attitude to have in wilderness survival: 'The bush is neutral, its neither for or against me no matter what I do. The bush is not that interested, what matters is what I do and what I put into the situation.'
>>
>>930105
I'm not really explaining it too well but that was the coldest I've ever been. I have this strange thing I guess where my feet and hands don't really ever get colder than the rest of me for some reason (if there's no exposed skin of course). I don't know why but my toes or fingers never get numb as long as there isn't direct heat loss from there. Maybe good blood circulation idk.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.