[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3737.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3737.gif
1MB, 320x180px
I am thinking of getting into hunting. Specifically deer since there is an over abundance of them here in Maryland. Any tips to get started? Which gun to buy and what to expect? Any stories or advice welcome
>>
Look at your state laws

http://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/service_hunting_license.aspx

Register for a hunter education class
>>
>>927913
Go take a hunter safety course then if you have more questions you can ask them in a less vague way.
>>
What gun would you suggest buying for my first hunt?
>>
>>927913
I'm pretty sure Md is shotgun only. I haven't lived there in 20 years though.
>>
>>927933
An XM556 microgun.

Now go take the danm class.
>>
>>927913
>>927935
Checked. Shotguns are allowed in all counties. Breech loading Rifles are only allowed in certain counties. For shotgun I'd go with a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 800. I like the Mossberg because of where the slide release is. It will rattle a bit more and the fit and finish aren't as nice as the Remington. For the counties that allow modern rifles I'd go with a Marlin 336 in .30wcf. They're fun to shoot can find ammo nearly anywhere and is reasonably inexpensive. I hate MD. http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/general-deer-hunting-rules/
>>
>>927942

Thanks! Yeah I was just reading about it. Seems shotgun is the way to gun unless I want to look like a civil war pirate or use a handgun. I'll check it out!
>>
>>927942
I hate it here to
>>
>>927947
I grew up on the Eastern Shore. I hope to god your on the west side of the bay. Next to Delaware and Florida its gotta be the worst state on the east coast.
>>
>>927953

I'm about twenty minutes from Baltimore. Enough said. I live in ellicott city. You
May have seen us floating away a few months ago on the news
>>
The first thing I would do is to make sure I had a place (with deer) that could hunt. That might be a friends land, pay a landowner a trespass fee, or public land if not overly crowded with both other hunters and out type peoples.

Once you have a spot secured, you need to get whatever it is you are going to be hunting with. As in shotgun, bow, crossbow, whatever.

You need to practice with your weapon until you are proficient with it. The deer deserve a quick clean death.

You need to read your local regs so that you know what to do when hunting. An example would be the proper way to tag a deer once you have killed it.

So far this is all prep work getting ready to actually hunt.

The next step would be to find a place on the property you can hunt that will be a good location. This could be a fence crossing, a food source, a strip of woods the deer use as a path, a place they cross a creek etc....

Next you need to set up a blind or stand. This is assuming you are going to wait patiently for a deer to come to you. This is way more productive than trying to go to the deer.

Your stand needs to be in a place where you can get to it with out spooking deer when you are going and coming. This will be done in the dark often. You need to take into account the prevailing wind direction, and your stand should be comfortable enough for you to wait for several hours.

All this done, you are ready to hunt.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.