[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RIP huge freaking tree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/09/508919216/iconic-sequoia-tunnel-tree-brought-down-by-california-storm

Iconic Sequoia 'Tunnel Tree' Brought Down By California Storm

A powerful winter storm in California has brought down an ancient tree, carved into a living tunnel more than a century ago.

The "Pioneer Cabin Tree," a sequoia in Calaveras Big Trees State Park, saw horses and cars pass through it over the years. More recently, only hikers were allowed to walk through the massive tree.
To Measure Drought's Reach, Researchers Scale The Mighty Sequoia
Environment
To Measure Drought's Reach, Researchers Scale The Mighty Sequoia

Over the weekend, a powerful winter storm slammed into California and Nevada, prompting flooding and mudslides in some regions. The Associated Press reports it might be the biggest storm to hit the region in more than a decade.

On Sunday, a volunteer at the state park reported that Pioneer Cabin had not survived.
>>
Damn, I drove through that thing

F
>>
>>927711
Just paying my respects for the only decent /out/ attraction in california
>>
>>927711
Went and took a look at it myself today.. It wasn't pretty at all, Fucking grew up playing on that fucker...
>>
>>927727
gotta have some pictures of that

the one in the article wasn't great
>>
>>927730
Naw I didn't think of it I'm not big on pictures. I will after work tomorrow and post just for you anon
>>
>>927731
you're lucky to be that close

wish I had a chance to visit there....but nothing lasts forever
>>
>>927733
hahaha this area is a total sinkhole. I still really want to move but I can't deny the local is great for /out/doors.
The people are shitty and the weed culture has ruined a lot of my friends(I'm not even antiweed just anti deadbeat)
Plus i've never traveled much my whole life(only just turned 21)
>>
Kind of a shame what they did to that tree, considering how long it lived there before we decided it looked better with a big hole. But like anon said, everything dies eventually. Even ancient trees. RIP.
>>
>>927736
desu from living in the area. with how many of these fuckhuge trees are still around I totally understand why someone thought it would be cool to cute an arch in one. That one was just super old and fell, theres tons of older trees that had fires in them and are big ass chimneys within 300 feet of that one.

tl;dr there are still hundreds of thousands of redwoods here don't worry
>>
>>927735
well, the grass is always greener...
we don't have problems with stoners, forest fires, or earthquakes here in MI, but there's other crap like having the highest insurance rates in the country and getting half a foot of snow overnight

getting to see the sequoias is definitely near the top of my /out/ list

>>927736
obviously that happened a long time ago, if you haven't watched the ken burns series on the national parks, check it out....people back then could go and do just about anything
>>
>>927735
>only just turned 21
come back in 3 to 5 years when you're entitled to hold an informed opinion on anything.
>>
>>927774
Haha, this guy thinks people can be entitled to an opinion here. No. Nobodies opinion means shit
>>
F
>>
>>927714

Its not the one you drive through. Chandelier is the one you can.

Anyway, a lot of memories there. I'll try to make a trek out there this weekend to pay my respects.
>>
>>927714
Wish you did when it fell so you worthless trip fags would die.
Coming for you shlomo, best watch out.
>>
>>927774
Everyone opinion's are shit you dumbass.
>>
F.

Never had a chance to visit before it fell. Motivates me to get outside while unspoiled wilderness and national parks still exist.
>>
>>927711
F
>>
>>927733
>>927735
Which one exactly is it? Can you pin it on the map? Article says there's more, and I don't quite remember which one I went through without a map
>>
File: map.png (151KB, 931x593px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
151KB, 931x593px
>>928012
this should be it
>>
>>927711
Goodnight sweet prince. I regret we never had the chance to meet.
>>
File: IMG_1341.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1341.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>927714
Go back 2 /o/ tripfag cancer
>>
>>927735
Loser
>>
Why didn't any of the big libshithole cites sink yet?
>>
File: IMG_1248.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1248.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I just started to stratify about 100 sequoia seeds and 30 redwood seeds, hopefully in a few months I'll have many seedlings to plant.
>>
>>928983
Best of luck. Post results in 200 ys!
>>
Nothing Lasts but Nothing is Lost.

Fateful reminder that we are but temporary visitors on this planet, but nothing we see is ever permanent.

F
>>
>>927711
>powerful winter storm in California has brought down an ancient tree

No, that isn't correct.

"Huge tree that morons cut a giant hole in has fallen over because it couldn't stand up to a storm, unlike its neighboring brothers that don't have giant holes cut in them by morons."
>>
>>929103

no
this is correct
the fact that it was mutilated by uneducated men doesn't change the sole fact that the tree fell
>>
F
>>
>>927714
>I drove through that thing
How does it make you feel lying to strangers on the internet?
>>
>>929245
That's like throwing a person off a bridge and saying they the water killed them. The tree had been slowly dying, likely because of the hole cut in it
>>
>>929103
The Pioneer Cabin Tree got its name from its distinctively hollow trunk, partially burnt by lightning strikes and forest fire.[11][12] It had small compartments as in a log cabin, the tree's burnt core as a chimney, and a small opening as a backdoor.[13][14][15][16]

In 1857 it was noted that the "top half" of the tree was broken off at about 150 feet, and that the tree was hollow.[17][10]

>tree was in mint condition and would have lasted forever if someone hadn't made the hole bigger
>>
>>927711
F
>>
>>929269
i'm not disagreeing that the lumberjacks damaged the trees structural value

i'm disagreeing that the tree fell period
it doesn't matter what fundamentally caused the failure

the statement

the tree WAS brought down by the wind
period
>>
>>929270
RIP Avatar, native tribal existence will always get buttfucked by modernization
>>
>>927774
>3-5 years
So your 24-26.
>entitled
I bet you are you cunt.
>informed opinion
Like your opinion on this Cantonese sketching forum?

What kind of faggot are you?
>>
File: 1484249437488.gif (4MB, 344x203px) Image search: [Google]
1484249437488.gif
4MB, 344x203px
>>929352
Why you mad though?
>>
>>927774
you will probably die before me oldfag :D

>Also believing there is seniority on a Mongolian caricature web page
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.