[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Growmen #77

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 81

File: 76.jpg (2MB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
76.jpg
2MB, 3197x5000px
Old Thread: >>912838

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

http://pastebin.com/RDDAm3Jz

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
File: 1473171572897.gif (1MB, 500x549px) Image search: [Google]
1473171572897.gif
1MB, 500x549px
>>927684
Might as well ask again.

>>925222
>>925230
>>927142

Anyone else who has ideas?
I'm thinking of putting up a few heat lamps, cover the windows with black garbage bags, place a wireless thermostat, and see how it goes.
>>
File: Kamilica.jpg (278KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Kamilica.jpg
278KB, 720x1280px
The chamomile is FINALLY holding some flowers
This photo is from a few days ago, and you can't see the buds very well. There are a few sunny days ahead, so I'm hoping more buds will open up
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>>927770
Yes, you can do this for winter gardening for the veggies you want to grow.

-Use normal electric space heaters.
-Don't use gas heaters unless they are forced air and have a heat exchanger so that gas fumes don't enter the greenhouse.
-Use large-bubble bubble wrap on all the windows in the winter. You may double this up, two layers thick if you want (though Zone 8 should only need 1 layer). This will take care of heat leaving too quickly. Press the bubble side to the window. Mark each panel of bubble wrap with marker so that when you take them down you can put them back up in their assigned place for easy work next winter season.
-Place as many containers of water in your greenhouse as possible. Paint the outside of the containers black (sandpaper them then paint). Fill every space you are not using with water containers (2-liter soda bottles are great, plastic 55-gal drums can be used as tables with plywood on top). These will absorb heat during the day and release it at night helping to keep temperature drops from happening.
-Install fans for moving the air around both for better heat use and for making a breeze on your plants to help keep them sturdy.
-Remember to clean the windows, inside and out, before putting up the bubble wrap. Any light dust/dirt/algae on them will reduce the amount of sun that enters the greenhouse.

There's no need to put black bags on the windows. I'm not sure why you'd do that. The cost in electric will be greatly lowered with the steps used above. Initially, more money will be spent heating up all that water, but will then lower once it has reached the room's temperature. Then they will act like a buffer for heat storage, reducing costs.
>>
File: 1473152374255.gif (752KB, 499x704px) Image search: [Google]
1473152374255.gif
752KB, 499x704px
>>927852
Thanks, very informative.
By "normal electic space heaters", I'm thinking of one of these things:
https://www.gamma.nl/assortiment/handson-convectorkachel-turbo-wit-2000w-kunststof-38-5x-53-5-cm/p/B529382?
Or do you mean one of those large heater lamps?

>I'm not sure why you'd do that.
Black absorbs/amplifies heat, although I realize now, when actually typing it out, that covering the windows with garbage bags means no light coming in.

Thanks again!
>>
>>927849
Awesome. I'm happy for you, anon. I've been trying to raise those along with sage and verbena hybrida from seed using the a damp tissue and fridge method. Got a few verbena to sprout, but the tops got mysteriously eaten. My echinacea purpurea, snowland chrysanthemums and calendula fared better. Where you at and how'd you plant your chamomile?
>>
>>927864
>from seed using the a damp tissue and fridge method
Keep me posted on that, I would love to raise chamomile from seed.
What time of year would you have to plant the seed tho?

>Where you at
Melbourne, Australia
>how'd you plant your chamomile
I bought it from a store while it was still small, and then pretty much just transplanted it into the garden.
The store didn't sell the actual seeds, but I'm hoping to get seeds from either this chamomile plant or the other one (which I don't have a photo of)
Have you ever collected seeds from it?

>Got a few verbena to sprout, but the tops got mysteriously eaten.
I assume it was outdoors. Any particular insect you suspect? airborne or something else
>>
>>927861
Don't use heat lamps. Yes, that device will work. You can google your state's/country's average price per kilowatt hour to determine how much your electrical device will cost per hour. That one is 2,000watts=2kw. If the cost per 1kw = $0.10 then it will cost you $0.20 per hour of continuous runtime. One night may have it run on and off a total of say 8 hours which would cost $0.80. 30 days a month at only that rate would be $24.

Thus, you want to do your best to keep the heat inside to prevent the heater from needing to turn on. Thus, lots of thermal mass using the water containers, transparent insulation on the windows using bubble wrap, and as much sunlight entering it as possible.

You can also paint black any surface in the greenhouse to further turn the sun's rays into thermal heat instead of reflecting it. Though, if your plants need more light then you may want some of that ambient light to reflect on the plants themselves.
>>
>>927413
Still looking for advice. I've been reading up a lot, but I'm relatively inexperienced with gardening in general.

>>927857
Would it make sense to use a stronger lamp that you might normally use? Or would that risk burning the plants near the top?

What kind of plants would you recommend for the lower layers?
>>
>>927956
You can just use shop lights. I suggest making a rack that has casters on the bottom so you can roll it out of the way when you need to fool with the plants. They won't burn the plants and you get get them within the 2" zone they need to be near the leaves. It won't matter where you place your plants since the light will be vertical along your wall.
>>
File: P_20170104_161916_MT.jpg (477KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170104_161916_MT.jpg
477KB, 1280x720px
>>927868
The damp tissue method works well for seeds that are bigger than 3mm. The tissue makes it easier to carefully monitor and separate the rooted seedlings. Another way was putting the seeds in a soilless potting medium like cocopeat or sand kept moist via mistings of water mixed with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. I'm using this method for the chamomile now since the tissue method didn't yield results. The verbena hybrida and echinacea purpurea seeds I've sowed via both methods responded well to those and rooted easily after a week or so. My mum kept mistaking the tupperware I used for these germination experiments for something else.

>bought from a store
Aw nice. That sure beats waiting in pins and needles to check if the chamomile seeds have germinated. I got these seeds from a store. This is my first time planting chamomile and other edible flowers. If I ever got these babies established well, the first thing I'm going to do is make loads of chamomile tea to celebrate. The Philippines' tropical weather seems like it would be compatible with chamomile. My calendula and rosemary are having a good time with it. As for my former verbena seedling, I think a bird ate it. My herb garden is sadly limited to two window grills. I think the same culprit chewed on some of my calendula seedlings too. Can't imagine it had a nice time since the calendula leaves are crunchy and bitter. It needs a bit of salad dressing to make it tastier.
>>
File: spirulina.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
spirulina.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
>>927684

Are the anons growing algae still around?
>>
>>927956
Oh, and another question regarding vertical hydroponics, what kind of flow rate should I be looking for in each tower? The numbers I'm seeing online seem to vary pretty wildly.

A vertical hydro tower is basically just NFT, right? So would numbers for NFT be the right thing to use? 30 gph per tower (what I've been seeing for NFT) seems kind of high, but then again I don't know what I'm doing so my intuition is probably useless. I've seen people using what look to be drip emitters on vertical towers, but drip emitters don't have that kind of flow rate.

Also, should I be circulating water 24/7? Or would I be able to put it on a timer without any negative effects?
>>
File: 19IID4-a.jpg (84KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
19IID4-a.jpg
84KB, 500x377px
>>928129

I'm here yes. About 20+ gallon containers of various algae. Currently branching out and doing some animals (tardigrades for example) which eat my algae.

My favorite algae category is red algae because there's no confusing it with anything else and it looks neato. Greens/browns... you have to look at under a microscope, unless it's a big honking seaweed or something.

Would post a pic but all the lights are on timers and are off ATM.
>>
>>928253

Oh, and pic related is still a goal. Going to Salt the shit out of Dunaliella salina, which is doing really well so far... and then let some evaporate in a slanted tray. Was worried it wouldn't do well, but it is doing very well so far.
>>
>>928253
What are you growing algae for? Fun?
>>
File: algae_farm.jpg (162KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
algae_farm.jpg
162KB, 1000x666px
>>928265

Pretty much, yes. Each type has optimal conditions and requirements. You do lots of sterilization between working with different cultures.

It's like growing plants, but without the pests and the upkeep is *mostly* topping off the water and adding more algae food. There's no fussing like "is it going to freeze tonight? is it going to rain? spider mites? something is digging up my plants."

I enjoy it. If people think it's silly, that's OK.
>>
File: hand-sanitizer.jpg (20KB, 385x292px) Image search: [Google]
hand-sanitizer.jpg
20KB, 385x292px
>>928271
>You do lots of sterilization between working with different cultures
you can say that again m8
>>
>>928281

The joke went over my head:) But yes, 70% ethanol ftw. Rub that stuff everywhere.
>>
I'm wanting to plant blueberries on the southside of my house where there is currently grass. Is there any way to lower the PH of the soil without tearing up the lawn? If possible I'd like to just make a tidy circle for the primocanes. I'm fine with the grass dying just would rather not have bare patches.
>>
>>928271
When i first saw your algae posts i thought you ate the algae
>>
>>928474
What is the current pH of the soil to begin with?

Depending of clay soil or aerated one, you could add sulfur or increase organic income. I've often heard it's not a good idea to lower the pH too quickly, regarding soil structure.
>>
Anyone has experience with tea? The plant itself I mean.
>>
>>928476

Yeah, I think I mentioned you could eat some of them, which you can. I don't currently, though. It's not a terrible idea... it would give the cultures more turnover so they don't population crash.

I grow one culture of spirulina, which is often used as a nutritional supplement. You can google it. It is stupid easy to grow. I also grow chlorella, which is very similar in difficulty and people eat that too.
>>
>>928492

It's got clay in it, its north carolina. If its not a good idea to lower the PH too quickly, what should I do?
>>
>>928519
-0.5 in pH in one year should not be a problem
how much clay are we talking about?
>>
>>928525
I don't know how to quantify it.
>>
>>928530
https://www.rain.org/global-garden/soil-types-and-testing.htm
the quickest would be to do a "rope test" if you can, you may ctrl+f it on this site to get an idea
>>
>>928505
>I grow one culture of spirulina, which is often used as a nutritional supplement. You can google it. It is stupid easy to grow. I also grow chlorella, which is very similar in difficulty and people eat that too.
Teach me senpai. I got a 250L aquarium just standing here, empty. Would that be sufficient?
>>
>>928253

I wanted to ask you about your setup, I've read that spirulina makes a good liquid fertilizer and I'd like to try growing it

But searching with google I didn't find anything substantial about how:
1) how do you filter the algae when you want to harvest them?
2) if the temperature drops under 25°C they go into stasis but don't die, right?
3) how do you measure how much algae you got in a certain volume (e.g. 1L)?
>>
File: ParameciumChlorel33.jpg (17KB, 334x240px) Image search: [Google]
ParameciumChlorel33.jpg
17KB, 334x240px
>>928553

Absolutely. No problem. I don't think you need or want a filter in place. I turn my cultures with airstones to keep them from settling at the bottom of my jugs.

(You can culture much of this stuff in less than a cup of water.)

Getting a little more serious- You just need bottles of PH up and PH down, testing strips, F2 algae food and salt like "instant ocean." Bleach and ethanol hand sanitizer if working with more than 1 culture. For diatoms, you may want a silica supplement. For symbionts, you may want to supplement with something like a couple garden peas. For saline solutions, there's a simple optic tool that will tell you the exact salinity.

Spirulina is really easy and so is chlorella/// I rate them really good beginner algae, and they just happen to be popular nutrient supplements as well which is great.
>>
File: spirlina_resize.jpg (197KB, 419x277px) Image search: [Google]
spirlina_resize.jpg
197KB, 419x277px
>>928563
>But searching with google I didn't find anything substantial about how:
>1) how do you filter the algae when you want to harvest them?

Filters similar to coffee filters. Very small holes and then patience while it drains through. Spirulina at its prime is almost jelly-like, so you may need to fuss with the filter to keep it running. Some companies make strainers for it.

>2) if the temperature drops under 25°C they go into stasis but don't die, right?

Some might. But 77F is above my usual culture temps. I don't have notes on any having trouble with that. I keep 2/4 of them on heat pads with thermostats, set at 85F which keep the jars around 77F.

>3) how do you measure how much algae you got in a certain volume (e.g. 1L)?

They make a plastic tool for sort-of measuring that. I own but don't use it (so far). But I mostly just depend on visual inspection. If the spirulina jar seems to be crashing, I let out half the water, add nutrients, alkaline stuff if needed, and fresh distilled water. Sorry I'm not able to be more scientific with the answer.
>>
>>928569
>I turn my cultures with airstones
Constant, only during the day, or?

>F2 algae food
What does the F2 stand for in this context? I'm an herpetologist, so for me it refers to how many molts an invertebrate has made.. Haha

Also, would you mind posting a pic of (one of?) your setups?
>>
File: J0lOXsX[1].jpg (1024KB, 2938x2203px) Image search: [Google]
J0lOXsX[1].jpg
1024KB, 2938x2203px
I intend to emulate this setup except only having 1 grow bed and 1 fish tank to start with.

I read these stock tanks can crack, anybody have any experience with them?

What size pump should I shoot for?

How many feeder goldfish can I cram into a 100g tank with a 50g grow bed?

Am I going to screw myself over by not starting with a sump? I'd rather not have to house a third tank. I figure I can always add it later if needed.
>>
>>928581

i assume you keep them indoor, do you know if they can stay outdoor and in the winter forget about them?

I'm in northern italy near the sea, so we go under 0°C maybe 15 nights a year (not consecutively ofc)
>>
>>928627
This is what bothers me about aquaponics (and people keeping fish in general). Cramming as many fish as you can into a tub is extremely unhealthy for the fish. Even if you don't care about the fish themselves, you've still got to consider that those fish are going to likely become diseased, have stunted growth, and pretty high die off rates.

Hell, a single fancy goldfish should have like 20 gallons if you plan on keeping it as a pet. Sure you can cut that down if you don't give a shit, but you can't cut it down that much if you plan on having even remotely healthy fish.

And for all the time and money you spend buying fish and fish food, you might as well just buy some liquid/powdered nutrient for the plants. It just all seems really really pointless unless you plan on doing actual aquaculture and raising fish for food. But then obviously you really want healthy fish and you'll be using larger tanks/ponds anyway.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>>928569
>>I turn my cultures with airstones
>Constant, only during the day, or?

All day all night. Not all cultures do well with that- i'm learning as I go. Some algae have no mechanism to swim or float and will just settle to the bottom if you don't churn the water.

>>F2 algae food
>What does the F2 stand for in this context? I'm an herpetologist, so for me it refers to how many molts an invertebrate has made.. Haha

Heh. It's a/the standard algae food. If you look it up on amazon you should see the two part solution. I have extra supplements, such as silica for things like diatoms.

Utex has a nice algae medium site:
https://utex.org/products/soilwater-gr-plus-medium

>Also, would you mind posting a pic of (one of?) your setups?

I don't mind but I'm running out of time before an appointment today. It's 6+ jugs per bucket which has an airfilter and carbon filter on top- So they get very fresh air running through their tanks. The air gets routed to the tanks and I make the airstones sink with tungsten putty. Lights are refugium lights (blue and purple and white mostly),. With algae that don't like bright light, I keep them further away or even covered. I do some plastic grid type material in each tank for the organisms to grab onto if they don't like the glass ( it has so far been handly for seaweeds.)

>>928659

Yes, they're all indoors. There's a lot of electrical doohickeys that would make outdoor an ordeal..

Lots of algae will survive winter . Chlorella would be fine in a sufficiently sized tub.
>>
>>928713

thanks for all the info so far!
I googled some more and it seems that at least with 3°C the spirulina will not die, so outdoor is still a possibility when the time will come

Just a few more question and i'm done:
1) After you filtrated the spirulina, does it still have a very noticeable taste of salty or not?
If yes, are there some ulterior filters to remove salt that are not too expensive?
2) I read that every 24/40 hours if maintened correctly (temperature, pH, etc) the spirulina will double in quantity.
Let's say i wanted to have 100 Kg per week of spirulina in the summer (temperature almost always over 30°C in full sunlight) to add in the water to fertilize my big ass orchard (I read somewhere that the ratio of water and spirulina is 10:1 for liquid fertilizer).
How many gallons of water would i need to have 100kg/week in your opinion?
>>
File: minimum_3.jpg (24KB, 340x306px) Image search: [Google]
minimum_3.jpg
24KB, 340x306px
>>928762

The spirulina is salty, but I'd say it's less salty than a potato chip. There isn't much taste otherwise. I don't find a need to desalinate it further.

Uh, oh, math. It's very quick to multiply. I'll be up front with you and say I'm not sure about the answer. It's really easy to culture, so you could probably get a test batch going strong for under $50 US and answer some of your own questions. Worst case is you have algae culture experience under your belt.
>>
>>928665

Its an excuse to mix two of my hobbies, fishkeeping and growing plants.

Plus it's really hard to overwinter 100 gallons of talapia/catfish, but I can keep 6 medium goldfish in a 20 gallon long.
>>
File: 14841886470822068132982.jpg (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
14841886470822068132982.jpg
1MB, 2048x2048px
So my lemon is thickening out but it stopped growing up. Should I try a different light?
>>
>>928627
is that california?
>>
>>928935
yea, the sun
>>
File: LightEffects.png (146KB, 921x874px) Image search: [Google]
LightEffects.png
146KB, 921x874px
>>928935
Cover 1/2 - 2/3 of the blue LEDs
>>
I built a very small double layered greenhouse made out of cut up clear garbage bags and pallets back in november for protection in zone 8a for a pepper plant in the ground and a potted tomato plant. Used multpile 5 gallon buckets inside filled with water for temp regulation and covered the structure with a big pile of leaves when it dropped below 32 degrees. Dropped to 16 degrees during our atlanta icestorm last week and didn't think it would survive but it did. Will post pictures tomorrow
>>
>>929011
sounds rad
>>
File: 1480422466517.png (236KB, 611x687px) Image search: [Google]
1480422466517.png
236KB, 611x687px
Algae-anon, what DO you grow algae for?
Because of you I've been reading up and it seems that Spirulina would be a great plant fertilizer, perhaps a supplement/replacement for seaweed.

Speaking of fertilizers, what do you guys use?
Currently I dry seaweed, then blitz it into a fine powder along with eggshells, Zinc supplement, used dried coffee and tea grounds, hair from my brushes and Epsom salt.
That's my "powdered" fertilizer which I keep separate from my compost.
I reuse my cooking water and collect rainwater which I water my plants with.
I take a large spoonful of the powdered fertilizer and add it to the rain+cooking water in a 2L soda bottle - which I then water my plants with.

I mostly grow tomato varieties and bell peppers and they grow well and fruit a lot.
>>
>>929106
Correction, I mean 3L soda bottle. Typo.
I use a 5L watering can so I dilute it a bit further too.
>>
How do I go about germinating a coconut?
>>
>>928976
I can actually turn the blue light down and leave the UV one normal
>>
>>928966
It's January at the 46th parallel.
>>
>>929106

I asked algae anon about spirulina as fertilizer just yesterday, also why he grows them as already been asked and answered.
Read the thread
>>
>>929125
>>929106

and stop putting hair in your blender
>>
>>929125
You could have just linked it. Like someone who isn't a cunt.
>>
>>929110
Do you live in the tropics? Otherwise forget about coconut palms
>>
>>929141

It's in THIS fucking thread, lurk moar cunt
>>
>>929169
Yes. I know. How hard is it to refer to the post count? I tried ctrl + f'ing "what do" and "why" and the post you say is here didn't show up. I'm not the guy who asked by the way.
>>
>>929169
see
>>929171

^see how easy that it. Try it, faggot.
>>
>>929144
I live in Ontario
>>
>>929201
So unless you want to bother with giving it a place that has >25°C year-round and at least 12 hours of daylight equivalent illumination, I wouldn't even start one. Just go with a good old trachy instead
>>
>>929204
>trachy
What's this? I only wanted to try germinating one to see what happens desu but i just read it takes over a year to get a shoot
>>
>>929212
Chinese windmill palm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei), the most popular palm in temperate climates I'd say, does well in not too hot summers and can be planted outside year-round in 8a, with some protection maybe 7b
>>
>>929214
We get -25C winters
No palms here. Thanks for the info tho
>>
>>929214
>>929212
Also if you want to start by seed, they should be readily available in online stores. But yeah germinating palm seeds in general takes quite some time and requires some preparation (google for detailed instructions), like scarcification (scratching the seed shells), constant high temp (use pot+plastic bag+heater method) and ideally some precautiounary anti-fungal treatment.
Haven't done any palms from seed myself though
>>929216
OK, but they're nice even when potted because like I said they don't need very hot summers, plus tolerate semi-shade. For winters you want to put them in a cool garage though, not a 20°C heated indoors (too dark)
>>
File: 1484248524691-1097711529.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
1484248524691-1097711529.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
IT'S HAPPENING.
>>
>>929225
Wassit?
>>
>>929262
Tomato
>>
>>929225
>>929281
>not growing pumpkin inside
>>
Shit, my posts are stuck in the thread where the OP fucked up.

>>929424
>>929425
>>
so i'm trying to start a worm farm but i'm beginning the composting whilst waiting for it to warm up so the worms don't freeze to death

whilst raking up leaves i get a little bit of my dog's poop in there and she eats a ton of vegetables and even though it says don't give the worms the dog poop would it be okay for a tiny bit? i don't really want to sift out shit
>>
>>928665

That's why you research about the fish you keep and how to keep them. I have about 15 bream (sunfish, bluegill) in a 150g tank similar to that pic in the other post. They are all extremely healthy and growing like mad. I'm feeding medium cichlid pellets once a day. My system is CHOP system with a 5g radial flow filter and a 5g moving bed biofilter (3.5g of Kaldnes) between the fish tank and grow bed so it is overfiltered - perfectly balanced and the plants in the two 50g grow beds eat the nitrates.

I've lost exactly three fish in a year. I caught them locally (public waters) and they were stocked at different times. Of the three that died, one died in the tank most likely from the trauma from being caught (it look sketchy) and the other two jumped out of the tank within the day they were stocked. The rest have thrived and during the hot months, they breed and successfully hatch fry (use a tray with gravel).

This is pretty much an experiment for a larger operation when I move to some land and for my son and myself to learn a few things.

CHOP System
150g fish tank
100g sump
2x50g grow beds
Hydroton grow media
800gph pump set to about 600gph
Bell siphon - flood and drain
>>
>>928627

This guy >>929522 btw...

These tanks are very strong and I haven't had a problem. The 100g+ will have a bulkhead fitting at the bottom. I recommend taking this bulkhead off and lightly sanding the tank where the bulkhead O-ring seat with 400+ grit. Then put a thin layer of silicone on the inside and outside (again, where the o-ring seats....there's an o-ring on the inside and outside) and where the o-rings contact the bulkhead. Finally, unscrew the fitting in the middle of the bulkhead and teflon tape it and screw it back in. My problem was with these leaking and what I wrote here solved it. These bulkheads are ABS plastic and that is a weak point. Siliconing them up and tefloning them is a good idea - and don't ever mess with them again after that.

The 50g grow beds in your pic need more grow media. A 50g Rubbermaid stock tank will take...or needs to have ~4.25 40L bags of Hydroton. In the grow beds, I used ABS slip bulkheads to attach the stand pipes. For any pipes protruding from the sides of the tanks, I used the appropriate sized uniseals. Standard hole saws for the holes and you will need a razor (box knife will do) to cut away the excess plastic after drilling and you will need some 320+ grit sand paper to sand down any burs and smooth out the holes before placing the bulkheads or uniseals.
>>
>>929527

Super great advice, thanks!

Any experience using other media besides hydroton? Like water-neutral pea gravel?
>>
File: DSC_3370.jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3370.jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
Is there something wrong with these garlic plants?
>>
>>929807
Not enough light that's why they're all spindly
>>
pepper plants: small leaves with browning tips and stunted overall growth

how do i fix this
>>
>>929605

Sure! I've done little test systems with the growstone, shale, lava rock. They all work but the growstone and lava rock are hard on the hands and roots if you have to dig around while growing is going.

The pebbles will be heavy but I think those 50g tubs can hold it...just make sure your stand is good.

If you're looking to save some costs, expanded shale is a very good grow media but you have to buy from a garden center or dirt/stone place. You can get a yard of it for under $100 depending on where you live (Houston here). However, the pieces *may* be a little smaller if you don't mind dealing with that (3mm - 10mm on average)...but that's roughly what you would have with the pH-neutral rock/gravel. I would go with that before pebbles if you can find it. And note that hydro-shops will sale expanded shale in bags (Viastone usually) but the pieces are much larger (8mm - 18mm) as they've been sifted and as a result it costs considerably more than what you find on a garden or dirt lot.
>>
>>930017

Duly noted! Thanks for all your input! Any pics of what you currently or previously have/had set up

I'm in Kansas, so I'd have to go with Kansas or Missouri river rock. It might be worth it to just by hydroton to not have to mess with too much water chemistry, plus I'll get that authentic look. Although it's no trouble to see what a backhoe scoop of riverrock will go for.

Hoping to spend $500 on all of it. $175 for tubs, $150 for media, $50 for a pump and the rest for lumber and PVC pipe.
>>
>>929855
Oh no! Thank you so much!
>>
is hydrogen peroxide safe to add to the water for my plants in order to kill fungus gnat larvae?
>>
>>930081
If diluted enough it wouldn't harm the plant (like 3mL/L at 10-volume). I'm not sure it would hurt the gnats either.
Did you try to water less frequently, or by the bottom of the pot? Or simply adding sand or clay beads on the surface?
>>
>>928253
Have you ever consider farming algae for biofuel?
>>
>>930081

No, that doesn't work. Incidentally hydrogen peroxide treatments are generally over-hyped in the gardening arena.
>>
>>930294
Why not use nutrients and keep it simple?
>>
>>930294

Definitely! I've only checked premade stuff and it's like $1000+. I've been heavily considering doing a huge spirulina tub out back, because it blooms and then crashes... and then you have to tend to it, and I'd love to put the half gallon I have to remove into a tub or something outside. I don't have the shelf space for a million jars of spirulina. (I'm doing 24+ different cultures... they take up space.)
>>
>>930306
Do you think this would be a good source of independent fuel source or is it simply too much cost for not enough product?
>>
>>930307

For me it would take too much time. Cost and reward aren't an issue because I'd love to do it.

I'm also not educated on alternative fuels, like driving your car using french fry out or whatever. :)
>>
File: FEGJY9ZGGPETG97.LARGE.jpg (93KB, 1024x770px) Image search: [Google]
FEGJY9ZGGPETG97.LARGE.jpg
93KB, 1024x770px
>>930309

*oil
>>
>>930309
I understand one of the process is basically spinning out oils within the algae to harvets it, from what ive researched on it but admitably didnt get very far.

I am wondering because i plan on building a Hydro electric plant with pools of water. I was thinking I could also get biofuel out of the algae growing in my reservoirs but obviously have no professional knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>930081
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=804

Get some nematodes m8
>>
>>930169
I don't water until the plants begin to wilt. I've put a trap with apple cider vinegar and dish soap that has caught a few but there are a lot more
>>
File: 2054.jpg.thumb_350x350[1].jpg (15KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
2054.jpg.thumb_350x350[1].jpg
15KB, 350x350px
>>930377

Fungus gnats will ignore cider vinegar. They aren't fruit flies.

>>930081
Let me save you a lot of trouble. Peroxide doesn't work, not watering will kill your plants, sand looks ugly and clay beads still allow access to the soil.

Go out and buy a bottle of this permethrin dust, pictured. Water your plants really well and then puff it over the entire surface of the soil. A thin coat is all you need. Then either puff more into the drain hole(s) OR keep the drain holes completely submerged in water by topping off the saucer regularly.

A lot of people will only treat the top of the soil, but the gnats will happily lay eggs in the bottom too. I had a SUPER bad fungus gnat problem, but a week after treating HALF the potted plants in my house, not a fly in sight. I kept treating just to be sure I beat their life cycle.

I didn't treat any of my herbs or anything I might eat one day like my pineapple, lemon, or avocado. As the gnats travel from plant to plant, they'll eventually contact the permethrin.
>>
>>930383
Is it not safe for use on fruiting plants? Because that's what I have
>>
>>930385

Heres the label, dunno what you're growing
>>
>>930377
As the other person said, soils of all the plants must be dry in the same time. It could be very tricky to do if you have a lot of plant of different sizes, and I understand how this could be a hassle. Watering from the bottom helps a lot if you've got standard pots and plates (aphids may sometimes lay eggs between pots and plates, but avoid it if they have easiest ways of access).

Clay beads do let access to the soil, THOUGH it lower it a lot and somehow discourage aphids to go into it if they got other sources of easy-access humidity. So, if you do this while laying traps for adults, it's a good way to control the population.

I've made trap with just soapy water in a yellow cup.
The key thing for me was to illuminate it while the rest of the room was dark (with a little light on top of the cup). Aphids are strongly attracted to light, the reflection in the water get them in.

It's quick enough to significantly reduce their numbers (I mean : getting from dozens of them flying around in the room every time, to one or two occasionally flying besides pots)
And once again watering by the bottom, because they rather lay eggs on the top.

For permethrin, I tried it once, and it was very effective short term. Though you're obliged to give it another round when eggs hatch, and I don't know what is the kinetic of permethrin regarding fruits if you want to keep it edible.
>>
>>930433
Sorry, said "aphids", I obviously mean "scarids"
>>
File: P7260342.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P7260342.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>928627
good luck and have fun this summer! I started 2 years ago with aquaponics and it dominated my free time ever since. I would recommend using IBC containers because they are cheap, made to hold liquids in all conditions and very modular.
You just have to know what it was used for or buy it new. Backyard aquaponics has a nice free book about this. www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/IBCofAquaponics1.pdf .

The minimum size of your pomp shut be determent by the volume of water. for a good functioning system you should be able to circulate all the water at least 1 an hour.

My setup is 1 fish tank (900L/238g), 2 growbeds (total of 1.05m3/277g) and 1 sumptank. This year i have grown 30 jade perch. They where +/-100gr when I bought them and i raised them till they where +/-450gr over a period of 4 months.
I used 21kg of fish feed for this. (location = Belgium)
>>
File: 1484504220765.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1484504220765.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
1of3 lemon plants grew from seed. It's 60°F and I'm kinda nervous if my plants will come out of dormancy to soon.
>>
File: 1484504263627.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1484504263627.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
2of3 lemon plant. Unknown chili to the left. Avocado tree stalk on the right . Been growing for 3years.
>>
File: 1484504298240.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1484504298240.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
3 of 3rd lemon plant. Aloe Vera plant next to it.
>>
>>930907
spider mites!!!!
>>
>>930915
Yep. Not really affecting the plant except the new growth which I'm not worried about right now.
>>
File: 20170115_145052.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_145052.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
So I have these three plants which are doing great, nice and bushy, good size leaves,
>>
File: 20170115_145251.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_145251.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>930948
And then there's these shits with small leaves and stunted growth. Same environment for both sets of plants. How do I fix this?
>>
>>930948
>>930958
Are they the same species? My cayennes usually have narrower leaves than my habaneros.
Inter-node seems narrower on the second set, and they seem to be flowering a lot more.
Did you try to remove flower buds as soon as they appear, to favorite growth rather than fruit?
If these are different species, that may simply be due to different species growing paces (thus it would be expected that giving them the same environment would not lead to the same development)

Also, you're saying this is the same environment for both sets, does that mean you're watering them the same, or do you adapt the watering considering the plant? The wilting leaves make me think of a water problem. Since leaves are smaller on the second set, isn't it possible they have an overall bigger leaf surface, thus needing more water?

Anyway you have beautiful plant given the pots' size, don't you think it would be time for a repotting? Maybe the general yellowing on the second set is related to root bound.
>>
>>930974
the top picture has 2 cayennes (right) and 1 carolina reaper. bottom picture is thai bird's eye, but some of my cayennes are similar to the thai with the small leaves and stuntiness.

been removing a lot of the flowers and they aren't wilting, the leaves just hang low like that. the leaves are pretty firm and i usually wait for the leaves to get soft and flimsy before i water.

don't really have any room to report unless i throw out some plants unfortunately.
>>
>>930907
How long did it take to germinate the avocado? I just gave up on a pit but I'll start another lne
>>
>>931016
Not the same guy, but it took 2 and a half months to see the taproot leave the crack in the seed. Still hasn't had a sprout out the top
>>
I'm also a gardening virgin, and while I intend to ask the people at the local Home Depot on how to set shit up, I don't know what to grow. I'm looking into peppers, but really I'm interested in anything that grows quick and is harvested rather than something that looks pretty.

I was thinking of green chiles and jalapenos, and maybe tomatoes (if only because my niece wants to see tomatoes grow), but I'm open to suggestions as to what I should try for my first attempt at bringing life to a backyard full of sand and rocks.
>>
I have an indoor pot containing a snake plant.
I don't want to over water it (I have done it before). The pot is sitting on one of those trays that holds excess water. Instead of watering from the top, could I water it from the bottom by filling that tray?
I figure if I stick to only doing that bottom area every couple days I wont have as much chance of over-watering as when I just dump water randomly on top whenever sticking my finger into the soil feels dry.
>>
>>931117
Considering it's in sphagum moss, I don't think capillary action will work
>>
Anyone else growing ginseng? I have 15 seeds that I sunk in the ground this fall
>>
>>931085

Sweet potato grows big leafy vines that are very handsome.

Tomatos and peppers are standard. Herbs are hard to kill too.

I try and grow things that I can easily make into a dish, like peppers, tomatos, onion and cilantro for garden salsa.

or tomatoes and basil to add to some fresh mozzarella for an italian appetizer salad.
>>
>>931146
That is not mine, mine is in dirt. Just grabbed a random pic off google to show what I meant by tray at the bottom.
>>
>>931048
Okay maybe I'll stick with this pit then
>>
>>931393
Best thing to do with avocado pits is to do more than one, like three or four.
If all start to root, you could sell/gift the rest.
>>
File: 1468369382451.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1468369382451.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>931016
Over 3 months for that one (my first). The other 2 took a couple of months .

Here are some pics from last year.
>>
>>928627
Those water tanks are the same thing that I use for horses. They're practically indestructible.
>>
File: IMG_20140808_083329.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140808_083329.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>931531
And starting out maybe 4yrs ago-ish.
>>
>>931085
Go to some of your local nurseries. In my experience, they'll be more knowledgeable, and they're often very keen on helping people get started.

First things first: You are probably going to need to amend your soil. I like this guy's philosophy when it comes to soil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho5tciuYyKE

Second, different crops can be planted at different times. Things like Spinach and lettuce can be planted earlier (for direct sowing than things like tomatoes and peppers, though you can start tomatoes and peppers indoors and transplant later. I live near Albuquerque, NM, (for climate reference purposes when I start tossing out dates) and it is generally accepted that you can plant your salad garden around Feb 15, and I've had a salad garden overwinter quite well.

Peppers and tomatoes can't take a mild frost, so I definitely like to wait until at least mid April to plant if I'm direct sowing. Maybe later if I'm starting them indoors and transplanting. A 40f-50f temperature swing from day to night is not uncommon here, so my soil can still get warm enough to germinate seeds even though they're at risk of frost. You have to know things like that about your climate when gardening.

Potatoes are another option for you if you don't mind a bit of digging. Don't forget onions and garlic, they're easy too, though garlic is best sown in the fall. Spring planted will work though.

For peppers, don't be afraid to go for other varieties. The NuMex varieties can be sometimes difficult to get established when direct sowing, but once established, they're tough plants.

Another thing is that many new gardeners like to over water their plants. This can drown the roots and actually stop the plant from taking water up, and it will wilt like you're not giving it enough water. I have a fairly heavy clay soil, and did not water my tomatoes once throughout the month of August and well into September last year.
>>
>>931553
>>931180
Thanks for the advice.

I forgot to mention that I live in Southern California. The High Desert area, specifically. So it's not like we get snow, but it still gets cold at night. And it's also very, very dry. Which is why I wanted to start with peppers, because I've been told that peppers almost thrive in desert conditions when other plants need to be babied constantly.

Is there something specific to desert gardening to keep in mind? I'll try not to over water, and make sure to actually make a proper bed of soil for any plants because I don't think anything besides tumbleweed likes straight sand, ha.
>>
>>930870

Awesome, dude. My setup started to deteriorate a little because of the amount of time that I spend at work, but I'm getting better at keeping it automated instead of constantly putting out fires. I'm building a second bed and have learned a lot.
>>
File: 1483387092666.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1483387092666.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>>930918
Get that shit taken care of right now before it gets out of hand.
>>
File: 1484492480121.jpg (122KB, 372x445px) Image search: [Google]
1484492480121.jpg
122KB, 372x445px
>>927684
I want to start some san pedro torch cactus seeds under a light here soon. Should I put the seeds in a normal small plant starter or should I mix up my own soil mix to get them going in that?
>>
>>931783

I'm high desert as well. 5k feet is my altitude, and we average about 8.5" of rain per year. If that is the case, you really ought to look into the NuMex cultivars of peppers. (We call them chiles here, not chilis, for whatever reason.) Down in Hatch, which does have large temperature swings from day to night, but also gets hotter than hell in the middle of the summer, they might water them once per week if there is no precipitation. Basically, if they're not drooping before 11AM, they probably don't need water, and that's using agriculture practices that I think are reckless with water use.

Plants of the Southwest (a local nursery for me, they're good people to do business with) and nativeseeds.org (Tuscon based) are two places that you can get the NuMex cultivars from. You will also find other high desert plants at both of those places.

Another issue that we both share is water. I know, you're going to have people telling you to plant in raised beds and it is all the rage, but you live in a desert. You want to capture and preserve as much water as possible. All of my beds are lower than everything around them for this reason. Don't ignore onions and other alliums. I pulled some bunching onions that had bolted this summer and threw them on the compost pile. A few weeks later, I looked, and they had continued to go to seed, with their roots hanging out in the air. Onions don't need a lot of water either. In fact, onions and peppers make good companions to plant with each other.

I found another video that you might be interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNMdWnfjs8s

It's actually the first in a 10 part series, so you will want to put a few hours aside before delving into that one. It is very interesting, because they start with the same principle of imitating nature, like the Geoff Lawton video I posted above, yet they arrive at some different conclusions. IMO, both have some good reasoning for doing what they do.
>>
>>932316
Does soap and water work? Hydrogen peroxide and water?
>>
>>932860
Soapy water work, spraying time to time with water also helps to deter them.
At this stage I would manually remove most of it (doing it far away of the other plants) and give it a good shower
>>
>>932550
leave them on top of the soil the light helps them germinate
they pop really easy too, ive got 12 bridgesii seedlings that I started in solo cups with a little saran wrap over the top for the first 2 weeks.
>>
>>927849
Nice I didnt get any last year when I tried. My chamomiles ended up being a fuckpad for aphids so I trashed them. I fucking hate aphids those green cunts just blend right in and before you know it theyre packed together under every leaf.
>>
I want to plant some fruit trees/nut trees next spring but I'm not sure what to get yet. Hardiness zone is 8, Cf on the Köppen classification.

In my grandma's garden there are some old varietes of apples which I want to get. She also has medlars wich I'm considering
>>
>>933561
Seems like you can do a lot, but be advised that for example walnuts will take decades before developing their full potential (there may be some grafts that are somewhat faster, but still)
You can do the most common temperate zone stuff such as cherries, plums, apples, pears, quinces, peaches, apricots, mulberries etc etc, but you might also be able to do subtropicals such as figs, pomegranates, kakis, strawberry trees, and some of the hardier citrus, but the latter usually don't taste that great
Any of those, including the temperate zone ones, will need full sun though
>>
>>931924
I know the feeling. My first setup was a total disaster. It didnt even survived its first year.
>>
>>933568
American chestnuts mature very fast. And They have some hybrid seeds now that look like they might be blight resistant.
>>
>>928271
You can't lie to me, that's a white trash moses.
>>
>>933568
How do well pomogranates deal with rain? Because it rains quite a bit here and I always imagine pomogranites growing in the dryer areas of the Middle East
>>
Hi, I have a question. I made a cold frame and am trying to keep in warmer. I was going to put a light inside the frame, and turn it on at night to help keep the temperature up. I'm wondering if the plants being exposed to light at night time would have any negative affect on them. Would they get confused and upset? Are they sensitive to day-night cycles like animals?
>>
>>933647
What plants are they?
>>
>>933647
That depends on the plants.
Just go buy a ceramic reptile heater. They plug into lamp sockets.

I light on can screw up plenty of types of fruiting plants. But leafy greens should be alright.
>>
File: weather.png (91KB, 1510x306px) Image search: [Google]
weather.png
91KB, 1510x306px
>>933578
You mean Juglans nigra? If so, then a downside of them are their tank-like shells which need an industrial grade vice to crack open
>>933600
It usually rains here a lot in summer too, plus it's very cool (see climate chart) but one of my pomegranate seedlings (sprouted on New Year 2016) that I planted in my heavy clay soil has been doing very well so far, wouldn't be surprised to see first flowers and fruits in 2018 or even 17
>>
>>933653
>>933674

Theyre all leafy greens or herbs, I figured that's all that would grow in the cold. I'm in 6a-6b in murrica. It's really overcast as well, so I was thinking some added light might help. Reptile heater sounds like a good idea too, I'll have to price them. Thanks guys.
>>
Could I keep a pepper plant alive indefinitely if I keep over wintering it inside? This is my second winter with it inside and It's starting to look like shit
>>
>>933686
good luck!

>>933704
post pics?
>>
Okay, so pepper season #3. I live in Memphis so planting time should be late March/early April. The long range forecast indicates warmer than usual weather so I'm optimistic about getting started early.

Last year I used 3 gallon buckets for my plants... not big enough! I'm going large this year. Should I go ten gallon or just use grow bags?
>>
File: 20170108_215305.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_215305.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>933738
Here
>>
>>933704
They're technically a perennial when grown in an area that doesn't get below freezing. I put some inside this year that I dug up from the ground and potted, and they looked like shit for a while due to the trauma I caused to the roots. They're still a bit big for the pots, but I pruned them, and any dropped any leaves that their reduced root system couldn't support, and have finally started putting on new growth within the past month. There will be a bit of trauma when I put them into the ground this spring, and I expect them to start looking really good once their roots reestablish themselves.
>>
>>933777
My pepper is all woody stalk now
>>
>>933776
Looks good to me, quite yellowish but I suppose it lacks some light during indoor winters
Did you top a little it when getting it indoors? It could reduce its needs to fuel too much leaves when there's too little sun
>>
File: DSC_3371.jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3371.jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
Does /out/ like the lighting setup I built?
>>
>>934112
Do they burn coal in your state?
>>
>>934125
I think there's some coal fired plants around, why?
>>
>>934134
Those lights look energy intensive
>>
>>934145
They're LED. Each array has 6 LED's that provide 2K lumens. That averages out to $2.57 in electricity per array per year.

I can run four arrays like this non stop for $9 a year
>>
>>934112
>>934150
Nice. Since it's LED, you can bring them much closer to the plants without damaging them. There you "lose" a lot of light (lumens are inversely proportional to the square of the distance : 1000 lumens at 1 meter means 250 lumens at 2 meters)
Also, did you put some heat shrink around these connections?
>>
>>934164
No heat shrink, only electrical tape. It's more flexible if I want to move it/ add wire. Once I have a good config for long term, shrink wrap

I tested the light at various points. The plants that need more light (garlic) are closer, getting more lumens, the ones that need less (leek, ginger) are farther away.

I like where your mind is at though
>>
>>934171
Fine then! Anyway you'll see quickly how your plants respond to light, and if adjustments are needed or not.
Good luck with your growing.
>>
File: DSCN7317a.jpg (155KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7317a.jpg
155KB, 1024x768px
>>934112
Nice what are you growing?

I've nothing in but lamb's quarter and garlic, both for greens.
>>
>>927684
hi is this the marijuana thread
>>
>>934387
Thank you! I'll definitely be back for the communities advice

>>934446
Garlic, lemon, avocado, shallots, ginger, ginseng, seabuckthorn, leek, Schisandra chinensis, lavander, sage, mint

Half of what I've listed is germinating, the other half growing happily in the basement :)

What are you using for lining in your setup?
>>
>>934450
That's a lot of stuff.

>What are you using for lining in your setup?

The shiny walls are just aluminum foil. In the end of February I'll be sprouting main garden crops for outside. Then the walls will be aluminum foil glued to cardboard panels using 1 part water & 1 wood glue/Elmer's glue mixture.
>>
>>934458
Most only need little amounts of light, which makes it easier. I bought 6, 32 quart storage bins and filled them with dirt. Cost mayyybe 30$ for a bin large enough to grow a large amount of whatever
>>
>>934449
It could be. This is considered as a plant, so i'd imagine that would fall in the category of outdoors.
>>
>>934449
>>934470
No, try 420chan or any of the weed growing boards. Historically, the weedfags have always completely shit up these threads whenever they post. Don't bring them in.
>>
Growing some Numex Twilight in containers using a combination of a peat pellet and coir.
Right now the surface is dry and lower down there's a tiny hint of moisture.

Should I let them dry out today and water them tomorrow?
Also, should I use some diluted fertilizer if I have fed them some 5-6 days ago or should I just wait till after the next watering?

Thanks.
>>
>>934630
Hi,

If this is not a seedling and if there's moisture under 2 inches, don't water. Watering too frequently will promote only surface roots, and your plant will be sensitive to dryness (because surface soil dries faster than deep soil).

Quick question : are you using only peat and coir as a growing medium? Why not "normal" soil with it? Peat and coir lack any nutrients, they are mostly structure elements.

For fertilizer, usually you have to water at least one time without it or you may burn the roots. But in a good growing medium you don't to fertilize a lot (I do only once per month max), hence my question about the growing medium
>>
>>934656
They've started to grow their first proper leaves, I usually water every two or three days so far.
I watered them normally until the seed leaves were fully developed then fed them some ferts.
They're sitting in nested solo cups right now, the inner one is perforated so that water drains to the lower cup. This should help encourage the roots to grow down but I can't rely on this as a feeding mechanism till I see some roots down there.

As for the medium it was mostly to save space.
I live in a tiny ass apartment and didn't want to have opened bags of soil sitting around so I opted to buy pellets and dried bricks of coir.

Once they're ready to transplant I'll put them into proper soil.

I think I'll give them a teeny bit of water right on the pellet, leave them till Monday then fert them.
>>
>>934630
NuMex is for New Mexico. If it thrives in New Mexico, it doesn't need a lot of water. It's not in the ground, so it will need more water than you would think for an in-ground plant, but farmers here will make sure that there is enough water for seeds to germinate, then they won't water for 2-4 weeks after they emerge. Next year, I should be to the point where I might water mine maybe 3-4 times throughout the year after they have been put in the ground, and I am in New Mexico. Modern ag methods would have people watering about once per week in triple digit (fahrenheit) temps with no precipitation.

Basically, with NuMex cultivars, if it looks water stressed, it may not need water. If it doesn't look water stressed, it certainly doesn't need water. I won't water mine if they're not drooping before about 11AM.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-21-20-58-52.jpg (419KB, 1440x1503px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-21-20-58-52.jpg
419KB, 1440x1503px
How is this for a few small plants?
>>
>>935109
i have the 24w version, seems to do pretty well but i also have it paired up with 2 75w CFLs
>>
File: chilli1.jpg (196KB, 1063x744px) Image search: [Google]
chilli1.jpg
196KB, 1063x744px
Woke up to find one of the Asian Caysan Chillies go from Green to Red overnight, neat. Trinidad Scorpion plant on the other hand is fucking useless, it's grown around 30 flowers thus far and despite trying to pollinate them they all just drop off and die.
>>
>>935113
How big of a difference are these measurements?
>>
anybody ever had multiple peppers growing from one flower before? i have a single plant where every flower has multiple peppers trying to grow from it and it's all fucked up
>>
>>935115
CFLs produce ~50 lumens per watt, and LEDs produce ~113 lumens per watt according to some infographic i googled.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1000x1350px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1000x1350px
>>
>>935119
>>935120
Thanks for the graph. I never knew LEDs were so pure!
>>
File: Kamilica02.jpg (56KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Kamilica02.jpg
56KB, 720x1280px
First time growing chamomile.
I've picked some flowers and started drying them. And after about 2 days of drying I've noticed these little things dropping out of one or two of the flowers.

What are they? Are they chamomile seeds?
I didn't grow the plant from seed, so I have no idea what they look like. These are fucking tiny.
>>
>>935114
How do you pollinate them?

Are you growing these in pine bark? Soil is quite dark but leaves are yellowing
>>
>>935116
You should post a pic. I've had a couple of retard mutant peppers where it looked like two peppers, but it was some Siamese twin shit, but never what you're talking about.

>>935114
The super hots are notoriously finicky, from germination to production. It's probably some retarded little detail that you're missing that doesn't matter for other peppers. Most peppers will self pollinate if nothing else.
>>
File: IMG_20170121_001047~01.jpg (3MB, 4368x3348px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_001047~01.jpg
3MB, 4368x3348px
In my recently acquired house there is an apple tree. But all the apples appear bitten or rotten.
Is this brown rot? How can I make this tree great again?
>>
>>935193
>chamomile seeds

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chamomile+seeds&iax=1&ia=images
>>
Would this be okay for pomegranate seedlings, lavender and spinach? I don't have too much space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8NZIGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8utHybZ53DJP0
>>
File: 20170122_194629.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170122_194629.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>935286
This is the only one that has actually started growing,the rest of the flowers just fall off
>>
File: IMG_20170123_124332.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_124332.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
So when I sowed my spring onions I accidentally spilled half the seeds in the row I made. I didn't think they'd all take but they've grown through a lot bushier than I was expecting. Should I thin them to maximise growth or move some of them? They seem pretty fragile so I'm not sure how or if I should move them.

Also I made a trellis for my beans, which is maybe about half a meter tall? My beans have already reached the top, is it worth making a taller one or should they stop climbing soon?
>>
File: IMG_20170123_124350.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_124350.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>935651
Pic of the beans and trellis.
>>
File: Cthulhu.jpg (60KB, 404x550px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu.jpg
60KB, 404x550px
>>935585
MFW

>>935651
>>935654
Cull the very smallest and closest spring onions if you want, but they don't need too much room.

Beans like to climb, especially if healthy. otherwise they'll start falling over themselves and reducing circulation between foliage, which'll mean a sick plant sooner or later.
>>
>>935204
I get an cotton swab and just gently rub each plant. They're growing in generic store bought garden soil, no idea why it's yellowing as it has been fine every single day until yesterday, haven't changed anything from the norm.

>>935286
Not doing anything different compared to the other plant, no idea why it won't grow anything.
>>
>>935729
If I was going to make a structure to support the beans for their lifetime, how tall should I make it? Rather not have them fall over each other, like you said.
>>
>>935799
>o idea why it's yellowing as it has been fine every single day until yesterday

It looks like it needs some nitrogen. Buy some fertilizer or pour some cold coffee into it.
>>
>>935585
Huh. Never seen anything like that. I guess the next question is, do they taste good?
>>
>>935389
It's probably out of season. Where do you live?
>>
>>935895
Way ahead of you there, first thing I did.
>>
File: 2243-960x960[1].jpg (119KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
2243-960x960[1].jpg
119KB, 800x800px
Anyone experienced with dwarf trees?

I'm planning on sprouting some orange seeds to get some shrub in my small winter garden. The garden is cemented and I don't own the house so I can just break the floor to plant the tree. I have a 0.03 m^3 pot and I want to know if it is enough to keep a dwarf orange. Would I eventually need to donate the tree to someone who can plant it in the ground?
>>
>>935729
>>935973
dunno. i trashed the plant because it doesnt seem like i'll get much out of it once it goes outside. needed the space anyway
>>
>>936046
No, you can keep it dwarf. You're gonna have to search some infos about it though, to keep it healthy. Search about bonsais if you can.
Though keep in mind that the fruit size isn't linked to the tree size. If you want dwarf fruits you're gonna have to search specific varieties.
>>
>>935389

Do you live in the land down under?
>>
>>936231
Where women glow and men plunder
>>
>>936028
>>936231
Los Angeles County.
I'm full retard thanks to the smog so I'm definitely under something.
>>
>>936248
In the Midwest, they're in season roughly August to November. Just get ready to treat it right so it can produce.
>>
>>936241
can you hear, can you hear, can you hear the thunder?
>>
>>936380
You better run you better take cover
>>
>>936248
Los Angeles county is a large area m8, do you live by the beach or back in the hills?

Apple season is typically in the fall
>>
>>936513
You're wrong. Not enough new videos. He needs to get outta the muff and into the /out/
>>
>>935389

While it's always possible they are rotting for other reasons,if you see them actively growing mold or there is mummified fruit then yes,it is brown rot.

Any bad or rotting fruit should be removed and destroyed. Do not throw it in a compost bin or something. Also any damaged limbs.

Copper fungicides will work,as will other things like Immunox used preventatively throughout the season. Going to be honest,find a pesticide too that you don't mind using. Most places you basically will HAVE to unless you want things like codling moths.
>>
>>936248

just prune the shit out of that apple tree, i did it to mine today

although if your apple tree still has that many green leaves that may be problematic for the plant
>>
Hello /homegrown/

I have a small succulent (Hawarthia Attenuata) that I keep on my desk. Since he doesn't need much water, usually I just give him a little bit of water out of glass every now and then. Not too often-I've had him about a year, and I water him every week to two weeks.

Today, however, I was drinking Welch's grape juice and I absentmindedly gave him a big old drink of that. Will he die?
>>
>>937504
The soil could become moldy
>>
>>937530
Would a rinse with water be worth trying? I'm worried about flooding him out.
>>
>>937537
Got a couple of them too, and those things are hardy! I always water completely once they're dry, so that it comes out the holes at the bottom, then throw that excess in the saucer out a few minutes later, something you should do generally instead of just a few drops at a time.
So you can easily do an "extensive flush" to wash out the juice, placing it in a bath tub/sink and then water multiple times, a few minutes apart each
>>
>>937539
This. You are better off watering less often, but watering deeply when you do water.
>>
File: mad.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
Just ended pruning my Sour Cherries
mfw so much to prune on so little trees
>>
Last year all my house plants got mites, really badly.
I was thinking about just growing plants inside propagator from now on to prevent things spreading between them.
What plants are small enough to grow in a propagator indefinitely?
>>
File: ramps.jpg (44KB, 520x347px) Image search: [Google]
ramps.jpg
44KB, 520x347px
Has anyone tried growing wild leeks on their property? My Aunt and Uncle have a monstrous plot with lots of good soil and they have offered to let me use some of their land to grow stuff. I want to try starting a population of ramps somewhere in the forested part of their property, but not if they end up being too persnickety or for other reasons, difficult to grow.

Any advice appreciated.
>>
File: 1467923174272.jpg (408KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1467923174272.jpg
408KB, 900x1200px
>>927684
Where can I get coca seeds? Can I order them online?
>>
>>938419
I can send you some. Just email me your name and address.

t. Not the FBI
>>
File: pear-tree.jpg (18KB, 297x450px) Image search: [Google]
pear-tree.jpg
18KB, 297x450px
>>938367
You should see the pair tree that I have that wasn't pruned for several years until I started taking care of it ~3 years ago. Water shoot city! It looks like Don King!

Seriously though, I am going to wait as long as I can to prune my trees to discourage early budding. About every other year, it gets warm early, the trees bud out, and BAM! We get a very hard freeze.
>>
>>938932
Pear, dammit!
>>
File: miracle-berry-fruit-450w.jpg (71KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
miracle-berry-fruit-450w.jpg
71KB, 450x450px
Anyone here ever grow miracle berries?
>>
If I bury a human bean in the earth will it produce new human beans?
>>
File: IMG_1083.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1083.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
This lemon seedling got too much sun, is it gonna die or can it recover?
>>
>>938367
Learn how to propagate trees using your cuttings. You'll have 100s of little trees in no time. You can keep them or sell them after a year or two of growth. I've been doing that with my mulberry trees and peach trees for years now.
>>
>>939230
Looks like only the cotyledon was sun scalded. It should pull out of it.
>>
>>939451

i know already, but i got two plant nurseries (is it even the right english translation?) very near me

The competition is just too much to try to sell anything
>>
File: IMG_0663.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0663.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Jalapeno plant I've been keeping alive though winter isn't doing to great, last time I was recommended to trim it back a bit to where it's doing well, anyone want to lay some eyes on it and tell me where to cut back to so I don't end up killing the thing?

Also, the yellow leaves are from nitrogen issues from what I can tell, I've been giving it foam nitrogen fertilizer regularly since like November and it's stayed alive at least.
>>
File: 20170128_230936.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_230936.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Any idea what these peps are? It's supposed to be cayenne but those aren't cayenne peppers like I've ever seen before.
>>
File: 20170128_231016.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_231016.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Wondering if I should top my reaper again? He's got four nice branches but I'm not sure if I want to top the 3 outer ones or not.
>>
File: 20170128_231117.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_231117.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Again, thought this was cayenne but it looks more like a Thai birds eye with the upward growing peps.
>>
File: 20170128_231206.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_231206.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Actual for certain cayenne here
>>
>>939740
Personally, I wouldn't trim it anymore.
It's indeed not in very good shape. Does it have good lighting?
I doubt it to be nitrogen. You've been supplementing it, the soil is a good dark color and the pot is quite big.
I would rather look on the water side (too much water). The soil is damp, full of mushrooms, leaves are dropping, etc. Does it have a draining hole at the bottom of the pot?

Anyway you can force buds on nodes with good lighting and hope for a better growth.
>>
>>940154
I would top it again, but if you like it this way it's up to you.
If you top it you could select which branches you'll keep, to avoid them being packed in the middle.
>>
>>940166
I've got 2 purple fluorescent lights that run 12hr a day on it, soil stays pretty damp and it has a draining hole, no mushrooms or mold or anything though. Has lost very few leaves too. I'll lay off the watering a bit and see where that gets me
>>
>>940440
I thought the orange things on the soil were mushrooms, but looking again it indeed rather looks like perlite.
Try to let the soil dry for real between two waterings, to see how it changes?
>>
Are all peppers edible? I have a plant that yields generously and looks like >>940148 >>940154 >>940156 >>940158 but I am no expert.
>>
>>940549
yes
>>
>>938985

thanks for the info, i'll see if i can get some seeds from internet

interesting plant
>>
Can you suggest me some plant for my bathroom?
I had some random fern (Probably some Asplenium scolopendrium variant, if my wiki skills are correct), but after 2 years, I finally killed it.
Because:
>moist, during a shower
>hot, during a shower
>cold (currently way below freezing outside) and drafty, when I open the window after a shower
>cool most of the time, because the room has no real heating
>dark, because the window is very small and points in a small, dark courtyard and has some blinds on it, because I dont want my neighbours to see my reproductive organs

What could survive, or even like those conditions?
Bonus points if I can eat it.
>>
>>941230
just get a fern
>>
>>941264
That was indeed my first idea, but maybe there is something "better", whatever "better" might be.
Also, I already tried to get one, but all the shops I was at (only 3, to be fair) did not have any.
>>
File: 20170130_104219.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_104219.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Hey /out/, my seedlings are finally coming up. Here is my dark opal basil sprouts.
>>
File: 20170130_104554.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_104554.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>941404
And the first 2 okra coming up. 8 more to go
>>
File: 20170130_104813.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_104813.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>941406
Annd heres 2 surviving golden honeydew melon plants from the november seeding. Not bad for indoor
>>
File: 20170130_104652.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_104652.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>941410
And last but not least, brussel sprouts.
>>
>>938985
>>940834

anyone knows if Synsepalum dulcificum can grow in Southern Europe?
>>
>>931531
not bad at all looks pretty healthy
>>
>>936046
you can keep citrus in pots for a long long time, as long as the medium the climate and the nutrition is right.
>>
>>938985
yes on the ground, underneath my pine tree. Very interesting fruit it kind of freaks people out
>>
>>941566

Where are you growing it?
Do you know if in southern europe it could grow?
>>
>>941554
From what I can see, it must be a place where it literally never drops below about 5°C, so maybe coastal southern Portugal?
>>
>>941587
in southern california, where in southern europe?, with micro climates you can really push the limits of your zone
>>
Finally some action with my avocado pit! It's split open and I can see some roots growing from the centre of the split.

I still have it suspended in water right now, when should I put it in a pot?
>>
File: ponics.jpg (4MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
ponics.jpg
4MB, 2610x4640px
>>928627 here

now what
>>
File: Untitled.png (43KB, 316x278px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
43KB, 316x278px
Does anybody have the 400+ pdf books on gardening mentioned in the pastebin? The link is KAT which no longer exists.
>>
>>941884
I found another link, nevermind.
>>
>>941591

Well fug then, we almost never go under 0°C here ib Liguria, but under 5 is half the winter

Too bad, i would have really liked to try it
Thanks anon
>>
I wake up to find my seedlings not being straight.
How can I encourage them to grow straight? I've had them under a directly above light source for almost a week
>>
>>941889
Could you post the link? Assuming it's not all malware
>>
>>942132
>I wake up to find my seedlings not being straight.
>How can I encourage them to grow straight?
Whoa man check your privilege.
>>
>>942132
turn them 180 degrees from the light source
>>
>>942026
You might still give it a try, it's just an estimation not an absolute, maybe it will only get some leaf damage in winter which it can recover from. Or have it potted
>>
File: 1485688330711.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485688330711.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
>>927684
I want to start a small propagation/nursery business in New Hampshire, I got a few pretty good LED lights. What plants do you think would be the most profitable?
>>
>>942253
Weed
>>
>>942253
Organic herbs for herbal "tea" and salad greens. Like Mints, Echinacea, Chamomile, etc [ https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/hgen/herbal-tea-plants.htm ] For salad greens, watercress, baby spinach, chickweed, lambs quarter, various lettuce, swiss chard, arugula, etc.
>>
File: 1347291224125.jpg (15KB, 336x229px) Image search: [Google]
1347291224125.jpg
15KB, 336x229px
>Window box
>Mustard sprouting, growing strong
>Cress sprouting, growing strong
>About to plant seeds again so I have a continuous crop
>Parsley still hasn't grown

I know it takes a few weeks to start sprouting but jeez.
>>
>>942333
>I know it takes a few weeks to start sprouting but jeez.

Parsley is pretty easy to care for indoors because of the growth habit, so I wouldn't get worked up over it.
>>
>>942026
>Parsley
Oh it's such a sissy when you try to grow it. Mine I started indoors the previous winter got fungus gnatted away heavily, and the outside one I started in April or so heavily suffered from the slight summer "heat" and "drought" we got here (by German standards hence the quotes) - but the one that self-seeded from somehow in a more shady place which I never cared for at all did extremely well for some reason. Lesson learned - this time I'll intentionally grow it in semi-shade instead of full "sun"
>>
>>942345

If you do it indoors, i find it does good under strong lights after potting it up one size. It's agreeably better outside (it lasts two years- leaf year, then flower year, then dead.) I have more trouble with cilantro... I don't know why it's considered mexican by many since it bitches the fuck out in hot weather.
>>
TFW first spring as a gardener is approaching

What size buckets should I move my peppers into for the summer? Also I've just been using miracle grow soil, is there something else should look into?
>>
>>942134
Unfortunately the link I found had no seeds.
>>
File: seed.png (178KB, 616x364px) Image search: [Google]
seed.png
178KB, 616x364px
>>942714
>Unfortunately the link I found had no seeds.
>>
I got a chleome with the best smelling leaves i rub them and sniff my fingers,makes me want to do an essential oil extraction.
>>
I need some cheap/free toy ideas for my chickens to try and keep them from yelling every morning. Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>943554
Tripfags aren't welcome
>>
I have a 55 gallon fish tank that I've set up for growing, grow light and everything. I'm looking to fill it with some ferns but I don't know what type or a good place together spores. I'm looking for something under 2 feet that would grow indoors in the mid Atlantic. Light isn't an issue I can adjust it to suit whatever it needs. Anyone have recommendations?
>>
File: tripfag.jpg (90KB, 425x312px) Image search: [Google]
tripfag.jpg
90KB, 425x312px
>>943620
>>
>harvest the first chilli off the asian caysan
>literally no heat at all

Well that was a waste of time. I let it sit on the plant for a week after it turned red, did I wait too long or something?
>>
>>943958
>>943958
I don't think so, they're already hot when green. Maybe it's a variety without heat?
I heard that putting the plant into watering stress some times before the harvest makes them hotter. I don't really know if that's true,I don't water my peppers before they're wilting anyway.
>>
>>943958

cayenne can vary on the side of not hot

you didn't wait too long

I'd do habaneros and other Capsicum chinense varieties if you want a better shot at it (though some people have made mild strains.)
>>
>>943967
Only one other chilli on it that's still green, might harvest it to see if it's any better. It was a store bought seedling so could possibly be a shit variety. I give them a 3 second splash of water from the watering can every morning, would that be too much you reckon?

>>943981
Also have a trinidad scorpion that grew a shit ton of flowers but never produced anything.
>>
>>943998
I wouldn't water them daily, but what are your growing conditions? (particularly temperature, indoor or not, pot or not)
Like >>943981 said it sometimes happens. I've got an habanero which once gave me hot ones, and one sweet.

If you want flowers to fruit and there are no pollinator nor wind, rub your finger into the flower. If there's powder (it's pollen) that might be enough to fecundate (the purpose is to lay pollen on the pistil). You can also shake the flower stem with something vibrating, like an electric toothbrush.
>>
>>944018
Growing outside in pots, it's summer here in 'straya, but a really bizarrely cold one, normally take them out from where they sit under a shadecloth so they can get some sun but I don't bother if it's cloudy. Tried the pollinating trick too, it grew around 20 flowers and now nothing.
>>
>>944041
Then if you can water them less given the current weather try to do that. Normally you can let a pepper wilted during a week and once watered it's all back to normal, they're really tough.
For the flower, they must be opened and pollinating, I think it's about a 4 days time window. When they're "fresh" there's no pollen, when too old they don't get fecundated.
>>
TFW didn't label my cups and now I have no idea what is what
>>
Does anyone know how long/far I should let my seeds germinate before putting them in a pot?
>im growing hot peppers if that helps
>>
File: 2017-02-04_15-09-13.jpg (570KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-04_15-09-13.jpg
570KB, 1200x800px
Starting my peppers a bit earlier this year too, because last year they were still tiny upon transplanting to the garden in late April. 12 California Wonder bell peppers, 12 of some unnamed Hungarian bell variety, 12 regular Cayenne hot peppers (having some additional backups of each left in the germinating box)
I like how they fit almost perfectly inside the grow box
>>
File: 1486220847081.jpg (950KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1486220847081.jpg
950KB, 2560x1440px
My citrus plant (not sure if lemon or orange).

Ate a Meyer lemon for breakfast and planted the seeds in some pots to give it a go.
>>
To the people who live where it snows, what do you do about oregano, thyme and other herbs?

Do you grow them as annuals? Or do you grow them in pots and bring them inside ?
>>
File: alcantarea-giant-bromeliad.jpg (629KB, 848x1135px) Image search: [Google]
alcantarea-giant-bromeliad.jpg
629KB, 848x1135px
>>944275

Oregano survives snow. At least as high north in the US as Pennsylvania. Parsley does too, but it's a biennial so you need to refresh it every 1 or 2 years anyway. Fennel survives as a perennial. Rosemary survives. Lovage survives, but it may look like it died off during winter. Sorrel survives. Lemon Verbena survives.
Here's a list of herbs if you have a question about others-
http://extension.illinois.edu/herbs/directory.cfm

I bring in some things.... mostly bromeliads and succulents. My current project is planting hardy gingers which are hardy, very dramatic and edible.
>>
>>944284
Crazy, I'm just a newb who has never lived where it snows, just assumed everything dies, woops
>>
File: hardiness-zone-map-transparent.png (304KB, 1440x800px) Image search: [Google]
hardiness-zone-map-transparent.png
304KB, 1440x800px
>>944287

It depends on your climate too (ie how cold it gets and for how long.)
There's a pretty good interactive site for this-
http://www.plantmaps.com/

It'll give you a map, your USDA zone and the low temps that tend to be reached. You can then google the herbs for their recommended low temps or USDA zones.
>>
What happens to plants who go in vegetative lethargy (e.g. peaches) when you plant them at the equator?

Do they always stay "awake" and with leaves?
>>
>>944275
My thyme, rosemary and oregano are just fine, and it got down to -9.5°C a couple weeks ago (and that without any potentially protecting snow cover). Lust the bay laurel has some slight leaf damage, but it will grow out easily
>>
>>944275
>>944313
Oh and I shall add that I'm growing them in the ground, frost sensitivity in pots is much higher, as the cold can attack from all sides, while when planting in-ground the soil won't get that cold
>>
>>944292
They do. But its for a much shorter time.
>>
I just get me some new alcohol at the supermarket because I emptied a few bottles and now have some quite nice, empty whiskey and gin bottles.

Now I do use them as vases, but well, they see a flower every two years or so, so I probably shouldn't bother.

So I just had a brainfart:
Can I use them as hydroponics container?
Is there any single stalk plant that I can grow in a bottle full of water with a few drops of fertilizer?

I dont have any clue about hydroponics (if that is not obvious already…), I'm more of a dirt guy, so maybe you can help.

Issues I have identified so far:
>Probably impossible to pot, once the roots grow to big, unless I smash the bottle or wreck the roots, but unless I dont become too attached to both, the plant and the bottle, this is not a big issue
>light on roots might not be too god. Could be reduced by using a dark glass bottle
>algae (related to the light issue, I guess)
>smell?
>>
File: 1486232637204.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1486232637204.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>944273
Avocado w/ my Slr107.
>>
other than the dank yields, what is the favorite part of your garden?

I enjoy watching and listening to the hummingbirds buzz each other and fight over resources
>>
>>929106
>put your own hair in compost
>breaks down
>plants absorb your hairs nutrients
>you eat plants
>you eat yourself
>>
>>944391
Always wondered if you could feed a VFT some nail clippings or callous skin cuts, so you could literally have a man eating plant
>>
File: 1486146024252.jpg (41KB, 389x386px) Image search: [Google]
1486146024252.jpg
41KB, 389x386px
>>944368
>Paying that much money for an inferior rifle platform
>>
>>941404
>>941406
>>941410
How are you keeping them watered without a tray under them?
>>
>>944177
This
>>
>>944368

nigger clean your house
>>
>>944388
Growing pumpkins indoors
>>
>>933685
Juglans nigra is black Walnut not chestnut. American chestnut is Castanea Americana I think.
>>
>>935114
Try adding calcium. I know that tomatoes sometimes don't fruit because of blossom end "rot" which is really just a symptom of calcium deficiency.
>>
>>936439
I met a man named Brussels!
>>
File: 1477465354585.jpg (27KB, 414x508px) Image search: [Google]
1477465354585.jpg
27KB, 414x508px
>>944577

> he doesn't know the lyrics
>>
>>943554
Get bucket, a rope, and a sturdy wooden stick. PUT the stick firmly in ground of your coop, tie rope onto the top, tie bucket on other end of rope. Put bug food in bucket (dung, rotten fish, rotten veggies) and now your chooks can catch flies all day long.
>>
>>944388
Seeing different bugs and birds (even the ones that have to be killed)
>>
>>944581
Six foot four! And Full Of muscle!
>>
>>944484
What's the problem?
>>
>>944570
Apparently there's several American species: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans#Systematics
>>
File: Mules.jpg (77KB, 900x602px) Image search: [Google]
Mules.jpg
77KB, 900x602px
>>944690

being an ass, just ignore
>>
I am searching for books by Eliot Coleman
Also if anyone wants it, I can offer advice on homesteading
>>
>>944832
>BEING AN ASS

FOR THE PAST DAY YOU GAVE ME A FUCKIN COMPLEX ABOUT MY APT AND I'M THINKING THERE ARE WORSE ROOMS POSTED ON HERE WAAAY WORSE! MAYBE ITS THE DUST ON THE LAMP?? SO WHAT DO I DO, I DUST THE WHOLE FREAKIN APT SINCE 10AM, VACUUM, MOP, SWEEP DUST WEBS, DUST CEILING FAN AND HAVE TIME TO WASH A LOAD AND PLANT A FEW SEEDS OF MYERS LEMON SEEDS!

DAMN IT THANK U FOR MAKIN A PRODUCTIVE DAY WITHIN THE PAST 4HRS ANON. THANKS

seriously thanks...
>>
NEW THREAD: >>944669
>>
>>944237
first pair of true leaves should be enough. You could also grow them directly in small pots if they germinate well, cutting those you don't want
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.