[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Storm's a-brewin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (180KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
180KB, 1600x1066px
So it's pre-tornado season where I am, and I'm looking to get into... Not really storm chasing, but rather storm watching for my area. Just being on the lookout if shit goes down, warning people, and helping anyone affected. So, I guess following the storm and picking up after it as much as possible. We get hit March-ish through July, usually, so there is a bit of time but I wanna be prepared beforehand.

I am doing my research, and I have several questions. Mainly, if you are able to provide care for an injured person, are you able to do so without a license/authority? I'm getting my CPR license soon, but I'm not sure I can go through EMT training. Are you protected by the Good Samaritan law in this situation?

Also, would just a cell phone and a radar be enough, or should I invest in a HAM radio? I'm not an idiot, and I'm not going to get up this thing's ass, but is it worth it to call something in on the radio or just stick to the phone? I love weather, and I'd love to study and do more with tornadoes and especially ice storms, but right now I'm not equipped or experienced enough.

Other than that, general extreme storm thread, I guess. Share stories and whatnot. If you're a chaser, what equipment do you use? Or do you think it's a bullshit fad?
>>
>>927115
Hold on, slow down.

First thing is you should try to join the Skywarn program as a spotter. They'll help get you up to speed and send you alerts.

Second thing is you're gonna need to start learning meteorology, and lots of it. The weather services don't bother themselves with exactly where a tornado is going to touch down, so you'll need to learn how to find and interpret weather maps to pinpoint likely funnel clouds.

As for the legal question, IANAL, but first, what state are you in?
>>
>>927129
Will do. I'm all for learning as much as I can about meteorology.

The area I'm looking to cover is in north-central (ish) Texas. Dallas/Ft. Worth program on Skywarn. Montague and Cooke county, mostly. It's not a very big area, but it's home. A good portion of it is countryside. I know the roads like the back of my hand, so I could navigate if I was in a team.
>>
i would look into ham radio. Spre cell battery and put it in ziploc bag. Ham will without cell towers and there are teams of volonteur ham operators who practice for, and help in case of natural disasters, but there is a lot to learn and is illegal if you dont have a licence. for exam you can learn online. there is also channel on yt called commsprepper
>>
File: 1444835702783.png (138KB, 4167x4167px) Image search: [Google]
1444835702783.png
138KB, 4167x4167px
If you're interested in helping people, join your local fire dept as a volunteer.

Just driving around trying to help people, you won't accomplish much. Even if you did find someone to help, without any training, you can't do much. To be honest, even an EMT by himself can't really do that much. The skills an EMT has aren't that useful without having an ambulance, with equipment, and a way to transport an injured person.

I've been a paramedic for 13 years now, and even if I was driving around after a bad storm trying to help, I wouldn't be much use. I was in New Orleans shortly after Hurricane Katrina, and even with an ambulance full of equipment, and 2 full crews of people (2 EMTs 2 paramedics), I felt I wasn't much help half the time.

If you join your local fire dept, or ambulance, you can actually help people day to day, and not just after a disaster. They can provide training to show you what to do in an emergency. You cant really just expect to help people 2-3 times a year after a storm, you need practice, training, and honing your skills.

Also fyi, it's not a CPR licence, it's a certification. EMTs and paramedics have certifications as well, it's technically not a license, although for an EMT or paramedic the term license and certification means nearly the same thing.

Good luck though sc/out/, sounds like you could do some pretty cool things in the near future.
>>
Honestly most ham radio spotter reports get relayed via cellphone up here to the NWS anyway. (northern Indiana) Literally I got my license to be skywarn spotter and we activate maybe one or two out of 20 or so potential storms that could cause serious damage. It really wasn't worth it just for the skywarn aspect, however if you like radios and electronics its great hobby. Mind you some people are cunts, a majority of ops are cunts. Just get yourself a couple cell batteries and a land line that requires no power (old rotary phones still work.) If power goes out you still have phone but not power. If you want to do spotting and not chasing you really don't need the metric ton of stuff derp up there is gonna make you learn (nor do you need a radar. the NWS has an excellent webpage) go to spotter training provided by the local forecast office usually around this time of year. they will give you what you /need/ to know. what you learn from there is up to you.

As a spotter you are a pin prick on a map of hundreds of others forming a web, you are the eyes of the National Weather Service on the ground. If you can't see one part of the storm someone else can. I have yet to see a spotter in a team in my area but we are hills land and there maybe 4 of us that actually devote a ton of time to spot and between the 4 of us and our Net Control(when he feels like it) cover a good portion of the county.

Just my opinions on it from being a spotter going on 4 years now, after being told a bunch of things to expect only to have them shattered by a subpar county that can't take anything serious.

tl;dr Get yourself spare batteries and a rotary phone, but make sure to talk to your local skywarn before deciding to go ham or not. You can deal with Net Control and 30 others talking over him or just dial the special number the NWS gives you and be on your way.
>>
File: IMG_20170109_144338496-L.jpg (75KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170109_144338496-L.jpg
75KB, 799x450px
>>927115
Go for it.
>warning people
I wouldn't worry about "warning people" ... systems already in place for that (sirens, SAME). Not worth your time.
>care for injured person
>CPR license
As a non-professional, you're generally protected by good-samaritan laws, and you're not bound by duty-to-act. Depends on the state. Not really a "license", just that you've been trained on first aid and how to perform CPR correctly. And if that's something you're serious about, consider WFR instead.
>ham radio
Yes, also look into skywarn.
Having a phone should be a given.

>>927129
This, and
>>927138
is excellent advice.

Can't really help you with tornadoes or ice storms. I prefer snow.
>pic related, drove through here this afternoon
>>
>>927687
Those warning systems rely HEAVILY on storm spotters you know.
Being another link the chain helps improve warning times.
>>
>>927129
>The weather services don't bother themselves with exactly where a tornado is going to touch down
Nobody can predict EXACTLY where a tornado is going to touch down. Why is it that all of your posts just seem to be stupid as fuck?
>>
>>927982
>says the faggot who contributes nothing to the thread

I was gonna mention ham and skywarn, but fp beat me to it. So before you start furiously mashing cheetos and chicken tendies into your keyboard, perhaps you should take a moment and ask yourself if you have anything of value to add to the thread. If not, lurk moar.
>>
>>928006
Calling out retarded tripfags is plenty valuable
If you can't see that you're probably one yourself
>>
>>927687
This anon is right, without spotters those sirens do not go off at all.
>>
File: i-5rRkmJc-L.jpg (122KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-5rRkmJc-L.jpg
122KB, 799x450px
>>927955
>>928141
Reading (OP)'s post, I was picturing in my mind some autist with a baofeng knocking on doors telling people in a frankie-mcdonald voice that there's a "hyuuuuggeee stooorm comin!!!1!!@".

Skywarn or other NWS-sanctioned channels are the appropriate ways to get information to the right people, who will then inform "the people" using tools in place like SAME, sirens, broadcast, mobile emergency-alerts, etc etc etc.

>tfw in the middle of a "historic" winter storm
>>
>>928222
>Reading (OP)'s post, I was picturing in my mind some autist with a baofeng knocking on doors telling people in a frankie-mcdonald voice that there's a "hyuuuuggeee stooorm comin!!!1!!@".

Got a nice hearty kek outta that one.

>tfw in the middle of a "historic" winter storm

Yeah my area has been getting slammed with straight line winds all day knocked out lots of the power lines in town. You guys got snow we got rain and bad winds.
>>
>>928303
And all I got was some rain, ice pellets, and a crappy T-shirt.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.