[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thru hiking thread AT, PCT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 31

File: hikes.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
hikes.jpg
1B, 486x500px
---AT Information---
Step by Step PDF: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/ATC-StepByStep.pdf

Trail Planner Website:
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/index.html

Purchase your AT Guide:
http://www.shop.theatguide.com/

Appalachian Trail Map:
http://www.postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3

---PCT Information---
Planner:
http://www.planyourhike.com/

PCT Overall Map:
http://www.postholer.com/google-map/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1

Detailed Maps:
https://www.pctmap.net/maps/

Post questions, answers, stories, and help relating to thru hiking in America.
>>
>>926915
How can I let ultralight homosexuals know I'm not one of their kind while also keeping a light pack weight myself?
>>
>>927175
Facial tattoos, greasy hair and a really awful fashion sense.
>>
>>926915
bump
>>
>>927175
Stop being insecure.
>>
I'm doing the North Country trail as soon as I get the chance.
>>
>>927175
wear multicam, it gets me hard.
>>
File: fat.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
fat.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>928193
Brave anon, do you have all the gear, and if so can you post pics?
>>
>>927175
Go with whats efficient for you, ultra light shit degrades and isn't durable generally speaking.. Hitch wherever you please and pretend you are just part of the herd the whole time.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (1B, 486x500px)
Clipboard01.png
1B, 486x500px
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT
>>
>>928260
>Homestar Beanner
>>
File: OEOtLOm.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
OEOtLOm.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I'm thru hiking the AT Feb 25th. I start at Amicalola falls doing the approach trail, here's my gear.

Only thing that has changed is i'm not bringing the cook set, going stoveless.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
fuck.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>928745
>>
>>928745
>>928752
Nice anon, what backpack is that and what sleeping bag are you taking?

best of luck and quick travels to you
>>
>>928822
It's a Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack, the Windrider. I'm using an Enlightened Equipment quilt with a sleeping bag liner. I regret getting a quilt because cold air gets in when you move around, but getting a liner fixed that problem
>>
>>928845
I was just about to buy a quilt to replace my perfectly fine bag, thanks for letting me know that
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
unnamed.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>928752
These are the trail runners i'm starting with, Wildcats, pretty nice.
>>
>>929004
enjoy the blown out mesh on the sides faggot
>>
File: IMG_0953.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0953.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Anyone interested in the great western trail? I've been reading about it and it seems pretty gnarly.
>>
>>929007
wow
>>
>>929007
yeah after like, 900 miles. These trail runners last longer than most do. Jealous you can't thru hike? Gotta stick to your rigid work schedule?
>>
>>929008
I'm interested in it sure, I'd probably do the CDT first bc I don't want to die if I'm unprepared
>>
File: NewJersey.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
NewJersey.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>928745
I would suggest you get a different headlamp—unless Black Diamond tweaked the design since last year. No one I've met who's had to use one of those has had anything good to say about it. The on/off mechanism invariably craps out after like a week of use, or just never really works that well to begin with. This could potentially put you in a really bad spot.

I actually think the rest of Black Diamond's headlamps are pretty good (and some of them are even pretty cheap) just not that one.
>>
Been hiking sections of the PNT the last couple years and am gonna quit my job and hike the whole thing this year. I've been planning all my side trips and scouted alternates last year, excited to do ONP mostly off-trail
>>
>>929329
Make sure you leave your job on a good note, please don't shit on your boss's desk. It's nice to get them to recommend you
>>
Could I use a bivy in hiking the PCT?
>>
>>928274
Heard of Robic?

Ultralight clothing isn't good for bushwacking, but trail trolling is the only thing that makes sense. Ultralight shelters are as functionslly cspable, albeit minimalistic, as anything else. Other than cuben fiber, everything is durable fine.
>>
>>928745
Stoveless is great. It removes the single chore when thru hiking. Dunno why people feel such a need to heat up pre-cooked food.
>>
>>928260
By get the chance, I mean probably years from now, or never. It's not like it's happening in 2 weeks or anything.

I do have some gear, nothing interesting though. Nothing suitable for something like that.
>>
>>930346
You definitely can in most of CA, but if you get caught in days of rain up north without a tarp you'll regret it.
>>
>>930346
No sleeping mat? That snow is gonna melt, and he's gonna get froze
>>
>>926915
Thank you for the post anon, found a great trail near me!
>>
>>926915
Can someone rate these trails from best to worst?
>>
>>931250

1. CDT
2. PCT
3. Ice Age
4. North Country
5. Natchez Trace
6. AT
7. Potomac
8. FT
>>
>>931255
I agree with this list
>>
>>926915
Looking at buying a personal gps and a long range radio as an alternative to satellite phone. Also where can I find/buy solar pannels for charging shit?
>>
>>932074
>solar pannels for charging shit
too heavy for thru hiking.
>>
>>932074
get a delorme inreach and a 10,000 mah anker battery
>>
>>930600
It tastes better warm than cold
>>
>>932294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_xWrhZ8yI
>>
>>931250
>>931255

AT is best for new hikers. It's the most supported. Alot of these trails aren't even fully put together, and have little to no support along the way.

The side of a highway for 50 miles is not a "trail".
>>
>>932336
I was ranking them best to worst, not from most support for newbies to least
>>
>>
>>928745
AT passport
>>
>>932668
forgot how normie the AT is
>>
>>933414
>>932668
I thought it was funny
>>
>>932889
what of it
>>
i think u might need one
>>
>>928745
hi joe
>>
File: 20170109_204659.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20170109_204659.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>926915
Here is my quilt that i made for my 2017 pct through hike. Just ordered mats to make my backpack.
>>
>>934056
oops heres the resize. sorry for large file
>>
>>926915
Probably going to start the ice age trail in a couple weeks. Weekend warrior it as I'm a local. Hopefully it can give me a taste for doing bigger trails.
>>
>>931147

I always put my sleeping mat in the bivy so I
can't roll off it
>>
>>934128
I do this too, I bought a nice OR bivy and I found that condensation is a huge problem. My US army sleep system bivy works much better in the cold weather.
>>
>>926915
What trail should I do if I'm used to hiking in Texas?
>>
>>931255
edgy
>>
>>934737

An easy one
>>
>>935118
ok
>>
>>934737
what kind of environment do you hike in in texas and do you want something different or similar?
>>
How can a non US thru hike the AT? Can I get a visa for that amount of time?
>>
>>928745
What are the crinkly stuff sacks?
>>
>>935748
I want something similar, I'm used to hiking in 100F sunny weather and being in the cold beyond like 40 degrees is extremely uncomfortable. I'm fine with mountains.
>>
>>935884

La migra won't catch you in the mountains.
>>
>>936051
Ouachita trail is 240 miles and nearby.
>>
>>931255
>not listing the AZT

hmph.
>>
>>929317
if it's the "Spot" headlamp then i believe they have fixed it. i've used one for week stretches about twice a month for 9 months and have not had a problem yet.
>>
>>934135
if its the OR Advanced bivy, the pole system is kinda shitty IMO, unless they have fixed it. i usually just sleep with it open and unzipped unless its unbearably buggy then i dont get a condensation problem
>>
>>928745
i went stoveless for 1400 miles
I would consider starting with it, and mailing it home when it gets warmer

hot food is so good in the cold, even if it's just chocolate and oatmeal
>>
>>935884
you just gotta do it in under 6 months
which isn't that hard if you are disciplined
>>
>>936506
I agree with you, the mesh is nice for buggy Texas camping
>>
I see so many peoples set ups, almost all who make them public are carrying ultralight packs. I can imagine they are great and all, however some of them look like trash bags with shoulder straps. I don't see any of those kind of packs lasting long in terms of durability. Why is there so much hate towards traditional yet still modern, heavier packs. Not even external frame packs, but everyone seems to be shitting on regular packs if they aren't ultra lightweight (less than 2.5lbs). Maybe some people want a fucking pack that will last years longer than a trashbag with string attatched to it and are willing to ruck and extra few cunt-fucked pounds. NIGGERS!
>>
File: relax.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
relax.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>937114
Chill, buddy. Not everyone has to have the same opinion and do the same things as you. Besides, not everyone is ultralight, just the people who are obsessed enough to spend all day taking pictures and talking about it on the tubenets. Gotta be obsessed to start weighing all your shit.
>>
>>937119
Youre right. it just seems like every single person who is thru hiking anywhere this year has an ultralight pack and would scoff at anything that doesnt have a frame support
>>
>>928745
>unlabeled bags
Good choice Anon, that's exactly what I was going to recommend.

>>930346
I've used a bivvy all the way down the west coast no problem. Most of that wasn't on the trail though. Once I started actually doing the PCT, I realized what a joke it was.

>>931250
1 Where you want to go
2 The same trail everyone else is hiking.

>>932074
I picked up a folding 7W online, I think it was $25. Get a rechargeable battery pack though; it won't always put out the amperage to charge a device, but the battery will take a charge in low light.

>>934128
Same. It also makes rolling up the whole thing together a lot easier than packing everything separately.

>>935884
I met a guy on the trail last year that was from Aus. He didn't have any trouble getting a visa for hiking.

>>937114
Those are mostly people who've never gone /out/ before and "prepared" by walking twenty miles per day on a treadmill. You're better off with sturdy gear if you plan on walking more than six inches off the trail to camp/cook/piss.

>Finally
Thru-hikes are NOT for people who enjoy casually strolling through nature, they're for people who want to add another line to their resume that says "Determined individual who follows the pack." All you'll do for several months is push out miles and resupply, it's not fun, it's work.
>>
Anyone here hike the Ice Age Trail? Even just sections? I'm curious about planning for it this spring but don't really know where to start.
>>
>>937182
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but I found a small blog for you.

http://wisconsin-explorer.blogspot.com/2016/09/hiking-ice-age-trail-st-croix-falls.html
>>
>>937182
>>937187
hey anon I found u something

http://www.iceagetrail.org/trail-maps-guidebooks/
>>
>>937187
>>937189
Cool!
>>
>>937131
>>unlabeled bags
>Good choice Anon, that's exactly what I was going to recommend.
I know what's in each stuff sack. Why the hell would they need labels...
>>
>>937114
I can't speak for all ulralight packs, but Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs are bombproof, the material is so much stronger than your traditional backpack materials. As well as being 100% waterproof, it's resistant to uv light degradation, is 15 times stronger than steel on a weight for weight basis, and of course is lightweight.
>>
>>937213
You posted a picture on the internet. No one else knows what's in them.

>>937214
It's still more fun to hike without an itinerary than with one.
>>
AT Nobo 17 March 1st here. Doing the AT with a pack just under 40lbs. Joining the military this year after my thru hike.
>>
>>937231
Hyperlite was the only lightweight pack company that Ive seen that looks pretty good, i dont doubt them
>>
>>937131
what are you on about i use ul gear and am offtrail more often than not
>>
>>937300
>thinks carrying 20% of his body weight all day for 6 months wont have long term negative impact on his body
>>
>>936812
>hot food is so good in the cold

COULD make all the difference between succumbing to hypothermia and not.

i know no one ever thinks it can happen to them, BUT...
>>
>>935935
cuben fiber
>>
>>937300
>40lbs
have fun not finishing. rats off to ya though for trying
>>
>>937300
It'll be a lot lighter than that when you finish. Be prepared to mail stuff home.
>>
>>937131
I'm training right now so I can pull 30's on the PCT this year just to spite people like you.
Campo to Manning Park in ~100 days and I'm going to be enjoying the nature and the views every step of the way.
>>
File: out_feels_guy.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
out_feels_guy.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>929317
If it's the Storm, then I'd swear by it. I recently bought a backup one because I loved my first one so much
>>
File: campsite_tgc.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
campsite_tgc.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>930346
Bivvy bro!
>>
>>937114
Osprey has a lifetime warranty. My AG will last
>>
File: fullmap.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
fullmap.jpg
1B, 486x500px
OP may as well be a feminist for including all these faggot trails for trust funders and poseurs.

This thread is shit. See pic related for a man's trail
>>
>>939206
what trail is that anon it looks neat
>>
>>939845
Centennial trail
http://idahocentennialtrail.blogspot.com
>>
Has anyone here hiked the Lone Star Trail?
I'm planning on hiking it when I'm off school this coming spring break. I've got my guidebook and all the gear I would need now. Anyone have anything to say about it?
>>
>>939206
I think the great western loop, ice age trail, and CDT aren't that bad
>>
File: american_trails.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
american_trails.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>926915
>>
>>937131
> Thru-hikes are NOT for people who enjoy casually strolling through nature, they're for people who want to add another line to their resume that says "Determined individual who follows the pack." All you'll do for several months is push out miles and resupply, it's not fun, it's work.

This seemed to be the experience of people who weren't in shape. Hiking 7 to 7 every day, minimal breaks. When you're fast, you can take breaks all the time and briskly walk with light breathing to make up the time. One guy I met would spend hours sitting at lakes, jumping into rivers naked. He did a 122 day hike (three weeks faster than average) because he had trained on another long distance trail just before.

People who have never trained for endurance don't get that for a higher level of cardio ability, a person can move at the same pace (as someone with less ability) while expending less effort. But endurance takes time to develop.
>>
>>941119
Also honestly, 70% of the terrain is bland and repetitive. If you're fast, you can budget your time to speed through the boring parts, and relax in awesome ones.
>>
>>936814
Ok cool, seems I'd need to apply for a three month visa outside the US then as soon as I arrive extend it to 6 months.

>>937131
Don't suppose if you can remember if he did what I mention above?

>>938151
Nice, have heard a few people mention that stuff. Is it strong? I am sick of stuff bags that things push through all the time.
>>
Final boss of trails.
>>
>>941101
11/43 worth hiking
>>
Are the national trails that crowded? I love going out and one of the best parts is not seeing people for days at a time.

I will be hiking the Cohos trail, and the Northville-lake placid trail, as well as the AT between the two. I know the AT will be busy, but what about the Cohos trail and the NP trail?
>>
>>941456
>Is it strong
Not really, but Dyneema fibers are, they're the strongest fibers in the world, that's what my pack is made of. Cuben is thin, waterproof, and ultralight, that's the appeal. You wouldn't want to abuse the material too much
>>
>>941459
I think the great western loop would be harder if you would count that.
>>
>>941736
Googling the appalachian trail brings up hundreds of thousands of blogs, articles, postings, forums, etc. Basically you can kinda judge how popular it would be from it's online footprint.
>>
>>929014
They should be fine, I ended up hiking ~600 miles of the AT in 25 dollar wal-mart shoes and they worked fine
>>
>>935107
i've hiked 3 of those and I would say it is fairly accurate
>>
What trail would be best if I wanted to (hypothetically I'm not a criminal fuck off feds) live off the forest? I mean I'm not saying I have any intention of poaching, illegally fishing, and foraging food, but if I DID what would be the best trail.
>>
Looking forward to all the people dying in the snow on the PCT this year
>>
File: 1456647835490.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1456647835490.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>943357
Is it especially severe this year or something?
>>
>>943165
don't do that.
>>
>>943550
yes
the west coast got ass raped by mutha nachure this year
>>
>>943550
Snowpack is currently way over average. No telling if it'll stay that way until spring but if it still looks like this in March or April the Sierras are going to be covered way later than typical thruhiker season. IIRC the last over average year was 2010 and that was before the trail's popularity really exploded. People who are planning to hike now have been reading blogs and watching videos of people in the drought years and a lot of them won't be prepared for what they find out there.
>>
>>943600
>>943577
hehe hopes up lads
>>
File: outmap2.png (1B, 486x500px)
outmap2.png
1B, 486x500px
This may help you decide on the best trail for you
>>
>>928745
Don't forget to get your AT hang tag for your backpack. fag
>>
>>944336
I already have it, thanks.
>>
File: cuck.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
cuck.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>943165
probably the WCGT here is the weastern terminus. have fun
>>
>>943621
This is the stupidest fucking thing
>>
>>928745
Why buy the toaks spoon when the optimus is the exact same thing but cheaper? buying anything from zpacks. Is that a full roll of toilet paper next to the guide book?
>>
>>943357
I wonder when this ice cube with sandals is gonna thaw outhttp://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/kris-fowler-was-last-seen-near-white-pass-on-oct/article_a2916b54-b46a-11e6-86eb-af6401c5d6c6.html
>>
>>945170
Jesus. Profoundly bad decision making. When I had to flip down and do NorCal in October, I had an active GPS beacon plus I played it safe with the weather. Once I setup camp at 12 noon just because it was so cold and stormy. A lot of people don't seem to realize how quickly emergent situations develops in the wilderness.

Also, I remember in FB some people were suggesting consulting a psychic to track him down. Wtf?
>>
>>945123
Optimus weights more. Zpacks gear is good, you just can't afford it so you imply it's shit. No not a full roll, I have dried out wet wipes stuffed in there.
>>
>>944336
Are you jealous you can't thru hike?
>>
>>945270

>Optimus weights more.
They're the same spoon made by this company. http://kingsoundtitanium.en.china.cn/selling-leads/detail,1077317440,sell-titanium-spoon.html

>Zpacks gear is good, you just can't afford it so you imply it's shit.
Until the packs start to fall apart around VT. Or get holes when you put a full pack on a rock.
The bear bags are flimsy too. They'll stretch out.
Zpacks says not to use a ground cloth but I've seen a lot of tents that get holes and the floors are made of thicker cuben fiber than the walls.
If you make it past PA if not sooner other hikers will tell you how shit they are.
The prices with the little weight savings and lack of durability they're just not worth it.
>>
>>943600
So maybe a late May starting date for NOBOs?
>>
>>928745

Watch out for the weaponized assault ponies
>>
>>945903
anyone else gonna poach the ponies in VA? good eatin
>>
>>945731
Only if you're fast. Don't forget that there is a fall constraint of finishing before oct 1 (sep 15 preferably) to avoid winter conditions in the cascades
>>
>>945731
It doesn't really matter. Start regular time, enjoy the desert, bomb through the Sierra/Oregon/Washington to beat the snow.
>>
>>940612
bumping this
>>
>>935884
im australian and did a fiar chunk of the AT last year. also met a chinese guy doing it, and a spanish guy who did it in two sections on holiday visas. unless trump ruins shit australians can do a application for a 1 year travel visa and go to an interview at a consulate. a bit time consuming and a small cost but pretty easy.
>>
File: IMG_20170118_120205345.jpg (5MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170118_120205345.jpg
5MB, 4320x2432px
>>940612
I never thru hiked the Lone Star Trail but I do take some day hikes there.
The trail there are not as well kept as others (wilderness and kelly sections) so expect either some vine-like thorny plant that lies across the trail, a lot of foliage, or both. Also you'll encounter that thorny plant many times, especially if you veer off trail to avoid a big puddle. Its not that sharp to make a huge cut on your legs, but you'll get many scratches if you wear shorts and the sound of fabric getting ripped if you wear pants.
I don't know about the spring but in the summer I had issues with spiders making their spider webs at head height (5'11); one day I knocked down 12 spider webs. Spiders, ticks, and mosquitoes are pretty bad in the summer, but they might be dead in the spring. I didn't see any late January of this year.
There are a decent number of creek crossings, usually you just jump across. The bridge in the Magnolia section is down but was replaced with a rotten log last summer, so you may have to cross it if it gave way. If it rains the trail has a good chance to be shoe-deep, but that's usually how it is. Also elevation is flat.
Pic related is the Lake Conroe section late January
>>
File: IMG_20160618_093051613.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160618_093051613.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>949009
Wilderness section in the summer
>>
>>949009
>>949010

Thanks for the info anon. You think I should bring a collapsing fishing pole? Is the fishing on lake Conroe any good?
>>
File: 20170122_165146.jpg (2MB, 1861x1474px) Image search: [Google]
20170122_165146.jpg
2MB, 1861x1474px
>>941101
Nice. The only reference I've seen, besides pic related.
>>
Holy shit, i think i will ride a motorcycle through the continental divide trail this summer :o
>>
>>949248
it's a trail u aren't allowed to fuck it up with your motorcycle + it would be extremely hard and dangerous
>>
>>949185
I don't go fishing so I can't say. I did see 14 or so people fishing on the bridge in the stubblefield section/campground, but I don't know anything else after that.
>>
>>949185
>>949267

To go with this, does anyone here have experience fishing while hiking?

https://www.amazon.com/Sougayilang-Telescopic-Accessories-Saltwater-Freshwater/dp/B01I57SHZO/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1486827677&sr=1-19&keywords=portable%2Bfishing%2Bpole&th=1&psc=1

I'm thinking of buying this with a reel, anyone know anything?
>>
>>949268
>$53 down from $400

Sounds legit.
>>
>>949263

https://sites.google.com/site/gpskevin/adventurerides/great-continental-divide-ride

You outdoorsman are such faggots im going to litter as much as possible when i do it
>>
>>949330
Those are not outdoorsmen, they are not even men, but vitrtue signalling cucks who forgot they are on an anonymous board.
>>
https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/baxter-state-park-places-limits-thru-hiker-permits/
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/pdf/hiking/ATHikerRegistrationCardAnnounce_Final.pdf

You're too slow this year and can't summit mt katahdin
>>
>>949436
can't you just say youre a dayhiker when you arrive at baxter?
>>
>>949443
I've only done the PCT before but it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a thru hiker and a day hiker just by outward appearance.
>>
>>949436
Not true at all. You just have to enter the park as a day hiker. If the park is full of day hikers that day then you have to wait for them to leave and then you can summit the next.
>>
>>949443
If they're out of permits then yes they will let thru hikers enter as a day hiker
>>
File: 20170213_153935 (1).jpg (918KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_153935 (1).jpg
918KB, 1440x2560px
well i'm all packed and ready to leave Wednesday for the AT. Decided to get going a little early. For people that care about weight, fully loaded i'm at 18 pounds
>>
>>950143
Nice anon, stay safe, aware, and clean!
>>
Was looking at taking a 3-day weekend on the Ice Age trail. Regulations for camping are absolutely retarded for the entire southern section. You are required to stay at a campground or reserve one of ~dozen "shelters". I guess either we're changing it up to do part of the NCT or headed north to the less regulated part of the IAT.
>>
>>952316
camping regulations suck and only exist because of retards that trash up places :'[

>>949330
>>
>>950143
icu favour the long spoon. nice move anon ;)
>>
As a experienced canoe camper, I am wondering some of the logistics of a hiking trip I am planning.
How many miles can I expect to cover a day on foot?
How many hours do you spend on the move?
Is there a good resource for backpacking internationally? Especially a review of trails?
I am planning on hiking a section of the Tokaido (Or somewhere else in Japan) within the next year. Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>952460
Not true, they exist because there are too many people. Our government has been run for decades to grow as fast as possible with no regard for the well-being of the common man.

More people = more regulations and pollution and trashed campgrounds.

If you are one of a few people camping on a river you can shit in it and it doesn't matter, whereas at Muir woods they have a trail thru the trees and it's totally artificial
>>
>>931255
is FT the florida national trail? I live really close to pensacola and am considering doing the first leg of it since it can't be too challenging terrain wise and i've never done extended hiking trips
>>
File: IMG_0886.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0886.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>952987
>As a experienced canoe camper, I am wondering some of the logistics of a hiking trip I am planning.
Depends on a lot of factors. You physical shape, when you start, how much elevation change, how long you plan to walk each day, etc. I'm young and fit and average about 2 mph in Appalachian terrain. In the Rockies, I drop to just above 1 mph. Flat terrain I can fly.

>How many hours do you spend on the move?
I try to break my backpacking trips into 15 mile sections, which is about 8 hours of hiking (with a lunch break).

>Is there a good resource for backpacking internationally? Especially a review of trails?
I also do a lot of international backpacking, but haven't found any superb sites that have good info on everywhere, but I'll get an idea in my head and research the shit out of it before I go. For instance, I'm heading to Norway in May, but couldn't find any awesome trails just from Googling. So I started searching for iconic places and then strung together a few trails to get my 150 miles target.

>I am planning on hiking a section of the Tokaido (Or somewhere else in Japan) within the next year. Anyone got any suggestions?
I've never been to Asia, so can't help you there
>>
>>952316
Starting to realize how shit Wisconsin is for /out/ings unless you have your own land. Regs up the wazoo. Might be time to relocate.
>>
>>953444
>2 mph
thanks for being honest about this. too many people i know (who aren't even in shape) like to think they can hike the AT like they're strolling through a park
>>
>>952987
In regard to backpacking in Japan check out "The Roads to Sata." It's not a mountain climbing book, but a great travel story about a man who backpacked the full length of Japan. Great read!
>>
Natchez Trace is the best MS has to offer. Comfiest spot near the rez
>>
>>944336
For what reason?
>>
Any T2 diabetics hiked the trail? What food did you eat?
>>
is this thread active I have a lot of questions.
>>
Sierra snowpack is up to 244% of average.
What do.
>>
Anybody thru hiked with a dog? I have a working breed dog (border collie) in good health. Would board her while hiking sections where dogs aren't allowed. Did you enjoy it? Run into any issues?
>>
>>955764
yes ask your questions
>>
File: 20170222_204311.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20170222_204311.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
>>
>>955925
268% I'm starting at the end of April. I have a feeling lots of people will be waiting for snow to melt at Kennedy meadows
>>
Here's a nice video for PCT hikers by a nice guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj_IVO32ONo
>>
File: lsht-overview.png (453KB, 3001x2250px) Image search: [Google]
lsht-overview.png
453KB, 3001x2250px
Okay Anons I've decided to thru-hike the Lone Star Trail during my spring break. My base weight is 15lbs. I depart on the 12th and I hope to finish on the 17th averaging ~20 miles a day.
>>
>>959153
Good luck! Take pics for us.
>>
>>960127
I will, If you guys can keep the thread long enough I'll post them here :]
>>
>>955953
have you hiked with your dog before? does your dog like hiking long distances?
>>
Leavin' for the PCT on March 15th. Did it in '15 but bailed out at Cascade Locks at the Oregon/Washington border.
Yeah, I know, snow. Honestly don't give a shit. I live in the Sierra anyways so I know what to expect.
>>
>>961314
No, the most we've walked is 2 miles. I'm gonna have to condition her (and me) to longer walks. There are some longish trails here.

We live in Florida so we can only practice on flat ground. No hills around.
>>
>>926915
Description
>>
I'm thinking I'll leave from the Mexican border in late May/early June and aim to hit Kennedy Meadows in early July. Then try to average 27.5 miles/day or so to make it the rest of the way on time. Depending on how the snow melts I might be able to move the starting date back to give myself more time. If I allow for three rest days in California and one rest day each for Oregon and Washington I think I can do it. I've done one 1,000-mile section and one 500-mile section before.
>>
I just wanted to tell you anons that my mom is an Army Dietician with 26+ years service and she would be happy to critique meal plans for your thru hikes (at least in nutritional value)
>>
>>962643
Ramen, weed,tall boys, ice cream, snickers, deactivated almonds, avocado
>>
>>962643
instant ramen, instant rice, instant mashed potatoes, instant oatmeal, Mountain House freeze dried meals, tuna fish, Clif bars, trail mix, flour tortillas, sharp cheddar cheese, summer sausage, instant coffee, multi-vitamins
>>
>>962690
>deactivated almonds

how do you do this? all my almonds are too active and I've lost control of my kitchen
>>
>>962690
And Mountain Dew.

>>965733
Heh.
>>
>>962785
This is good, it depends how long a hike you will be sustaining yourself for.
>>
Im leaving tomorrow!
>>
I'm hiking Zugspitze in May. We're taking the longer route which is just a simple hike with no mountaineering/climbing involved.

For boots, would a mid-height hiking boot be sufficient or should I get a heavier high boot anyways?

I won't be using crampons or anything, just a standard hike. I'm leaning towards a mid-high boot for the sake of weight and since the hike won't be anything crazy.
>>
i'm supposed to be camping along the berkshire section next (24-26) weekend. one of them has only camped maybe two times in his life and wore jeans on the last rain camping we did and the other takes a lot of LSD.

should i old off on account of snow and cold or will it be mostly gone by then?

anyone on there right now that can give me some idea of what its looking like?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (235KB, 706x941px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
235KB, 706x941px
>>960486
>>960127
I have pictures but they are all high res, it wasn't very pretty but I had an alright time. If anons genuine want to see what the trail was like I can upload them to mega or something.
>>
>>971243
I'd be interested. I was down around the Big Creek Scenic Area last weekend and was wondering if any of the parked vehicles were yours. The only people I saw were three guys birdwatching and I figured that probably wasn't you..
>>
>>950143
God's speed!
>fully loaded i'm at 18 pounds
Is this with food and fuel?
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.