[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /out/ like Scuba diving?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2107.jpg (97KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2107.jpg
97KB, 1024x683px
Does /out/ like Scuba diving?
>>
>>926691
>Holidays in some island resort
>"hey I would like to do scuba diving and swim with the sharks"
>"do you have any experience"
>"no, but I'm in good shape and I accept the risks"
>"sorry anon we can't let you do it"
I'm still mad even though it's their rules
>>
>>926691
just got back from grand cayman. did two days of dives and then some snorkeling and diving the rest of the week. live in PNW though, so im still figuring out where to go to see life and not get washed out to sea or eaten by sharks...north end of juan de fuca and the sound seem good...wish i lived in florida though. portland sucks for diving....
>>
File: IMG_2108.png (219KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2108.png
219KB, 480x360px
Never dove before. Signed up for padi certification courses.

Any advice for new diver?
>>
>>926870
>advice

Tying ribeyes to your fins helps you swim faster.
>>
>>926870
stay calm obviously. breathe normal, not too fast or too deep. and don't hold your breath between respiration, just inhale-exhale-pause. it's easier to dive that way and helps you to relax.

and learn some ear clearing methods beforehand. valsava or even frenzel.

and take a piss before diving
>>
>>926870
>>927110
>take a piss before diving
Then what's a wetsuit for?
But like this guy said, learn how to clear your ears easily and gently, learn how to control your body in the water. Practice with fins, get a mask and practice taking it on and off underwater. It's amazing how many new scuba divers can't swim for shit.
Have fun with it man, be safe.
>>
>>926870
Also, not shilling but if you havnt already paid for your course look into NAUI certs, they have a better program.
>>
>>926702
This fool don't know what goes into diving.
>>
>>926702
you're an idiot play a record
>>
>>926870
stay close to your dive buddy. And you and your buddy should try to stay close to the group.
learn how to get out of some sticky situations. Like, if you go over a cliff and get caught in a downward current, you need to swim out away from the cliff instead of trying to fight the current up.
>>
>>926691

not after seeing that pic
>>
>>926870
don't hold your breath
don't kick up a bunch of silt like some sort of asshole
>>
>>928424
99% of sharks aren't even spoopy
>>
>>927178
>>927390
Yeah I'm sure you need to have 10k hours of training before being able to dive huehue.
Even if they didn't wanted me to dive per se they cold just me let go on the boat and borrow me a fucking snorkel. Easy money for them without the risk, but I guess island niggers can't into capitalism.
>>
>>926771
I've always heard Florida has shitty diving tho
>>
>>928446
Realistically, most people who aren't fucking retarded could do, like, a 6 hour class and have the basics down enough to go (ideally with a buddy), it's just there's a couple weird as shit things that you gotta take a little bit to get used to, like maneuvering with the suit, how to deal with the hoses, and convincing your monkey brain that it's okay to breathe underwater. I had a bit of trouble with that when I was taking the classes. Body was just saying 'no you fool' when I tried to inhale from the breather. So you gotta get past that shit or you're fucked if something weird happens.

Also, since you mentioned it, renting a snorkel from a snorkel rental place is not hard
>>
>>928482
no way. florida has the best diving in the US. they just have alot of people. key largo, jupiter, st. pete beach, key west. florida doesn't have lots of shore diving, this is true but its got some decent spots. its alot of boat diving but catch the gulf stream side in the keys and you will see big critters...
>>
>>928598
Maybe the people I heard from were talking about shore diving.
>>
>>927162

Taking a piss before diving is essential because your body will try to get rid of water pressure on the kidneys due to localized pooling of blood from the "reduced gravity" in water. Plus the body tries to get rid of excess nitrogen in the bloodstream by producing more urine too.

Besides, it can be very difficult to urinate with the water pressure plus the neoprene exerting force on your peter. I've had bad moments where it felt like my bladder was about to explode.
>>
>>928944
concur. taking a whiz 80ft below the surface is a pain in the ass. even in swim trunks....
>>
>>926691

I did the exact same dive at stuart coves a couple of years ago :)
>>
>>926691
learn a little about what to do if it goes tits up, because it can go very wrong very quick and the amount of people i see panic and dart to the surface when it does is incredible
>>
>>926691
NAW NIGGA I AINT GOIN NO COOBA DIVIN
>>
>yfw a great white shark decides to shadow you during your drive

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJilFvxMQE0&feature=youtu.be
>>
How fit do you have to be to scuba dive?
>>
>>926691
That shark looks like he has seen some shit.
>>
>>931894
To dive? Not very. Of course if you aren't cardiovascularly fit then your bottom time will likely suffer.

To get certified though you will likely have to tread water for 5 to 10 minutes and swim a couple hundred meters.

Uhhhh.. Yea nah once you're certified its easy though. You just inflate your BCD all the way and float-swim to your dive spot (if shore diving).
>>
>>931894
you have to be mentally fit. most divers ive met eat like shit and smoke cigarettes up on the surface. its not necessarily a "sport" which requires fitness. my dive instructor was tubby as hell, ate burger king all the time, built like jack black. as soon as he was in his wet suit, he became another map. he was like a fat ass penquin. but man, he made diving look so easy. really. its all about buoyancy control, and minimal movements, learning to conserve energy. think of yourself an underwater goodyear blimp. if you do a 45 minute dive and you come up with 600 psi, your working too hard. relax and just go slow. breath deep but let oxygen out slowly. its like meditation, but you know, with sharks and spearguns too. have fun!
>>
I don't get the breathing trouble meme
On my very first dive I had no problem breathing steadily underwater
>>
>>931041
Jesus fuck that's horrifying
What do you even do in that situation? How do you get back to the boat?
>>
Dive for a living.
Love it.
>>
>>926691
no /out/ HATES anything underwater, go away.
>>
File: aquariusexterior.jpg (176KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
aquariusexterior.jpg
176KB, 600x900px
>>926691

It's ok. I wish there were places I could go to scuba dive from underwater though. Seems like that should exist by now.
>>
>>934593

Sharks are actually pretty cool. Sure thy could eat humans but they're not usually on the menu haha
>>
>>935308
>t. Shark
>>
>>935065
How does one make a career out of diving? And how much experience would you need before getting into professional stuff
>>
File: SpookyRedux.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
SpookyRedux.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>>928428
>>
>>935759
Trainer, diving shop worker, photographer, underwater welding, zoo work, marine biology, geology, archaeology, treasure hunter
>>
>>935759
I'm a marine biologist, so diving is part of the job
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99KB, 1920x1080px
>>928529
>>928446
>>927178
>>927390
Don't listen to them anon, I learned when i was 12 and forgot almost everything about it. Still don't have the benz for maybe three reasons and I dive 3-6 times a year.
-Breath slowly, rise slowly, dive slowly
-time halves as you go deaper think 1/2 the time at 100 feet deep
-most rigs have a boyancy regulator that you release air from or pump air into in order to rise or dive

That's it, I still have no idea why the hell people worry about this shit. It's so easy a 12 year old can do it. Just don't do anything crazy like deep dive or cave dive and you'll be good.
>>
>>935124

Pic related nearly got defunded a few years back. And that's with it staying in one spot in the Keys, not being moved around like it was initially designed to.

Plus they have the Navy divers and surface support staff there constantly to bring supplies up and down, and in case of emergency since everyone staying down there is basically narc'd the whole time.

It would be really, really expensive to run and go to a place like that, and you get 8 hours of diving in like a 150 yd radius around the base since the liability of giving you scooters and letting you go farther while narc'd is ridiculous.
>>
>>935933
see my comment about mental fitness...some people are afraid of water, large open spaces, sharks, and let their phobias take over.....to the other anon. you are more likely to die on the surface from some retard in another boat then from a dive equipment malfunction...
>>
>>926691
Swimming's for fish.
>>
>>926870
Go for a back-inflate BCD. Trim is so much better than with a jacket-inflate.
>>
File: download.jpg (73KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
73KB, 600x398px
>>928482
I really enjoyed the diving I did in FL. Granted I didn't go ocean diving.

It was pretty touristy, but Blue Grotto was great in FL. They said it's normally 100 ft dive and it's a natural spring (cold) but I went apparently when the water was up and we hit 126 ft.

Pic related.
>>
>>926870
One thing that helped me was learning that if you can't clear one ear, tilt that ear towards the surface then try to blow through a plugged nose. It elongates the ear canals and makes them easier to clear.
>>
>>926702
It's not bad, but if you've never done it before the risk of you panicking and doing something stupid is higher.

I got certified through a college course so I was doing it in a pool once a week for an entire semester. I had 4-5 dives under my belt then went to do a grotto dive and even though I knew I wouldn't lose sight of the surface, something freaked me out a bit and I could feel my heart rate rise substantially. You don't want that happening to a brand new diver! They'll hold that BC inflate shoot to the surface like a fucking cork.

To me the training is less about the rules and MUCH more about the exposure. It's an ODD feeling breathing underwater.
>>
>>935759
There's a lot of different aspects, depends if you're trying to do scuba or commercial hard hat diving otherwise known commonly as "underwater welding". Even though that's a very small part of the industry.
I went to dive school, been out in the industry for about a year. Most people don't make it very long though
>>
>>935090
>>935999
>Doesn't know how to swim
Kek
>>
>>935998
How do you get over fears like that? Im going to go snorkeling as much as possible for the rest of summer to get ready to go for scuba cert next spring, but getting close to rocks and seaweed always makes me irrational and panic.
>>
>>936328
close to rocks make you panicky? are you afraid of what might be behind them? thats an interesting one. maybe your claustrophobic and might do better diving places with a sandy bottom or good sight lines. i dunno, usually its the other way around, fear of large open places or being deep under water. i used to think 50 ft was really deep until i start doing more wall dive in 100 ft of water. once your at 70 ft, 30 more is no big deal. start in clear water i guess and see how it goes. scuba is fun but most of the life you are going to see is within 40 ft of the surface. maybe freediving is calling you. i live in the PNW so unless you have a boat, or a dry suit and really good system for your gear on shore, its kind of a pain in the ass. do you live someplace warm that has alot of boat charters? thats the easiest way to get into it. valet dives where they set up your gear and you just flop off a boat. i like free diving because it splits the difference between snorkeling and scuba. you can still get down to see critters but you dont have a shit ton of gear you have to transport and dissemble every time you go out. you can freedive all day or at least until you are tired. unless you have a dive shop close to your site, or a boat set up with extra tanks, shore diving is pretty much a one or two tank occasion and then your done for the day. get certified though. diving is about the funnest thing ive ever done next to skateboarding in a pool or snowboarding. if different. its a more sublime experience. that moment when you jump off the back of a boat and descend is the best. its like slow motion sky diving. your completely weightless just cruising over rocks and coral...so much fun...
>>
>>936390
I live in Australia, so I spent my childhood learning about all the ultra venomous things that live behind rocks/in shallows. I know logically the odds of any of those animals attacking me are tiny unless I fuck with them but I still get paranoid as fuck whenever im in the water, even sheltered coves. Then again my dream in life is to do have some sort of marine career, biology or something exploring the sea, so go figure.
>>
>>936482
Not surprising. Fear can be a good source of curiosity.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.