[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Caveman project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: vllkyt1h1komem98p8.a0e3a790.jpg (47KB, 654x368px) Image search: [Google]
vllkyt1h1komem98p8.a0e3a790.jpg
47KB, 654x368px
I have a national park 6 hours drive from where I live where I love to go hiking. This year I'm planning on making a permanent settlement there, off the beaten track and hidden from rangers. It's going to be as unnoticeable as possible to avoid curious souls from creeping about. I'm thinking about using a natural cave formation and widen it out using rocks to create walls, then cover it with moss so it looks natural and becomes as stable as possible.

I will also make depots around the park where I place dry goods and spices as a backup in case my place gets raided by people or animals, or if I get stuck in bad weather while out hiking.

If I can get the place set up in time I plan to winter there and attempt to do some fur trapping and use the paleolithic fall pits to hunt reindeer.

The thing that worries me is not if I can succeed or not. I've done several similar projects (although all of them during the summer season). I'm worried that I'll be prosecuted later on if I decide to write a book or make a film about the project. How likely is it that the park officials will react, and how should I deal with it or prevent it? Any ideas?
>>
>cave

There is a reason for the caveman dragging a woman by the hair back to his cave meme.

Enjoy sexing yourself for a year.
>>
>>926444
if you;re worried about prosecution my suggestion would be to NOT change the physical construct of this cave. Building 'walls' sounds a retarded way to get yourself buried alive. Not sure what your moss comment is about either.
>>
>>926467
>moss mortar

>>926444
>hidden from rangers

How you gonna hide the smoke from your fire?

Or you going to cold camp all winter?
>>
>>926467
The walls is to close off a bit of the entrance, to prevent it being too open and drafty, not to make a building or anything like that. The moss I'm adding is a whole moss carpet I'm going to peel off the ground and put over it since the roots close off gaps in the wall and keeps the stones from moving after it settles properly. It happens quickly but i want to do it very early in season so the moss layer has the whole summer to grow and thrive. The moss will also make it more difficult to see the cave from afar. On the inside of the wall I want to put opp some support beams made of steel. I considered cement but I don't want to leave a permanent trace to the area.
>>
>>926473
Do you have any advice on how to hide the smoke? There's not a not of rangers, especially in winter, but there's always a risk.
>>
>>926476
*lot
>>
>>926476
Dry as hell wood.
>>
File: 20161227_112510.jpg (1003KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161227_112510.jpg
1003KB, 2560x1536px
>>926476
A "smoke free" or low smoke fire relies upon efficient combustion of well seasoned, very dry wood.

A true rocket stove is extremely effective for efficient combustion and burns very hot.

There are many utube instrusctables on diy rocket stoves.
>>
>>926543
No problem there. I'm planning to bring in loads of firewood for winter storage.
>>
File: 100CBS.png (285KB, 800x730px) Image search: [Google]
100CBS.png
285KB, 800x730px
>>926558
Thank you! I was planning on using an old wood stove I had lying around. Pic related is similar. Are you familiar with the type? How good/bad are they for efficient combustion?
>>
File: 1483369446995.jpg (67KB, 420x275px) Image search: [Google]
1483369446995.jpg
67KB, 420x275px
>>926444
why not just do it in a national forest thereby avoid the risk of prosecution?
>>
>>926563
That's a nice stove, but the boz is so tall?

I heated my log cabin for three years using a similar, but lower hight cast iron wood burner.

I also used a kerosene heater quite a bit that worked very well!

The wood burner had ~18foot flue with a 6" pipe on it with an internal damper about 2 feet up from the stove. Would not burn proper without the damper!

Even burning my favorite low smoke wood, Shaggy Bark Juniper, there was still some smoke, both to be seen and smelled.

Some wood types smoke more than others. This can be abated by burning a mix of woods. I.E. cedar with pinion, ect.

You will have to experiment with the prevalent wood types in your area. But it HAS to "season" or sit after cutting. Months is good cut wood for Sept in April, wood for Jan in July.

Cut on Sunday, burn on Monday only works with dead and down wood that's been dead for months.

Cutting standing dead wood is not permitted in my area, ymmv.

Protip, get a chainsaw, you will need it if wood is your primary heat. Though a cave should hold heat well, except for the mouth.
>>
>>926582
Not him, but 2 weeks then move on for the USNF, and I'm sensing he's a Euro.
>>
>>926582
All the national forest here is either protected ecosystems or commercially grown sitka spruce.
>>
>>926588
Thank you so much! I mainly use birch and it's what I have more readily available. Do you have any advice on what I can combine it with to minimize smoke output? I agree with you on the storage. All the wood I use is from last year's season.
>>
>>926591
Nope, no advice. Birch is not common to my area.

I can tell you I avoid Ponderosa Pine and Aspen, both would be the last wood on my pile.
>>
>>926444
>Fall traps
Is there some way you can signpost them or something because I imagine it'll fuck your plans a bit if someone wanders into a trap and snaps their ankle.
>>
>>926590
Mothafucka are you telling me a "protected ecosystem" is more stringent than a notional park?
>>
>>926612
Thanks

>>926834
There national parks, nature reserves, and the third category of protected ecosystems, the last being where they protect the fauna spesifically. Those are the categories I know of. I guess the biggest difference is who is in charge of taking care of it, and the size of the things. The protected ecosystems can be kinda small.

>>926805
They are pits dug out in the mountains with two protectors or walls on each side. The theory is that in paleolithic times they chased herds or reindeers into them, the walls forced the animals to run into the pits and break legs and necks. Simple and effective. It's no threat to people.
>>
>>926444
op what you are describing is going to be incredibly hard to do unnoticed, or at least would be in most areas of the US. Id suggest not setting up a permanent site and instead switching camps as much as possible. The longer you live anyplace the more obvious its going to become.
>>
>>926591
Birch burns quick leaves lots of ash and doesn't produce much heat, it is great for getting a fire going but you'll need a lot of logs to maintain it.
Find some nice dry fir/oak/maple if possible, it's best to burn hardwoods for heat/time, avoid poplar/pine/tannarak(lots of sparks)
>>
If you aren't planning to fly around I would be very much concerned about the tracks left behind the snow and leading to the camp.
>>
>>926444
I would use a kind of natural mortar or earthbricks for your walls, and put your chimney on the cave entrance wall with the opening leading outside.

Depending on the amount of rainfall the area gets, your tracks are going to become noticeable as hell. I went camping solo for a week off trail once and within 2 days it looked like 50 people were at my campsite. The human foot has a way of making big areas of foliage turn into super noticeable trails that will lead a ranger right to your camp. Obviously stepping on rocks and blocking a path with foliage can help against it, but it's a risk.

Find a good portable solar powered charger that works fast. I found that the charger I used took all day just to charge a phone to 50%. Totally inefficient and leaves you cut off from current events for the majority of the day.

I'd try to keep cookware simple. Stainless steel cups and pots for boiling water, with a sponge and Dawn dish soap (or biodegradable if you prefer) for easy cleanup. Foods are up to you, but soups and rices are probably easiest. Raise rabbits if you manage to catch some, but those will not sustain you, so supplement with bird and fish.

Collecting wood will become harder and harder unless you plan on cutting down trees which is kind of fucked up and will get you raided easier.

As far as cave design, look for something with a raised area you can sleep on in case of rain, and make sure you have adequate ventilation and light. You could add double doors to you artificial wall, and drape mosquito netting over it to keep pests out during the day. I'd add some kind of flooring such as woven twigs or even river rock if you can justify the labor. A big galvanized steel bin for washing will make life easier, and you may want a few water collection barrels and a way to filter it.

Also figure out what you want to do with your waste. Squatting gets old fast, I just picked up a folding seat with a hole in the bottom so that I can actually sit down.
>>
>>928372
Waste gets difficult to hide near camp if you do it too often. I'd partition a few areas as (excuse the meme) designated shitting spots, and rotate them when you feel the last spot has degraded enough. Use a shovel for this. Make sure you don't intend to eat anything from the soil in those areas, and don't do this near a water source.

Crops can be done on a small scale. Think fibrous quick growing microgreens for supplementing your diet, and things like carrots, sweet potato, and radishes for your longer term grows.

Using the hide from your game kills will also be a game changer, so find out how to do this well. You can line your interior cave walls with furs to help against the cold obviously, just be weary about using it as a floor unless you have something under it first to cushion it against wear and tear.

Research guides and equipment on how to make your own soaps and candles from animal fats, and make a whole shit load of them.

Do you plan on making weekly or monthly supply runs, or are you doing this off grid style?
>>
>>928372
Are there any solar chargers worth investing in? All I found were of the same type as yours. My plan is to go completely off grid unless I decide to do some filming. Bringing spare batteries might be easier.

As far as the environment goes it's pretty barren so I'm bringing all my firewood. It's high up so I have to descend to find any material if I need to replenish supplies. collecting dry dung is also an alternative for fuel, depending on how close the reindeer herds trek. Could also use my own if it dried fast enough.

Your double door idea. How would the design look? It sounds very interesting. Bugs are a real problem. I'm planning to burn some herbs to keep them out but it's never enough.

>>928376
Seeing how slow stuff decomposes in the area I was thinking of drying my turds (see fuel idea above) because I don't want to mess up the landscape too much. The altitude also makes crops out of the question, which is unfortunate. I'm planning on bringing enough dry supplies to last over winter and supplement with game and fish. I will also collect some herbs and berries and dry them but I won't rely on it. I think I'll bring supplements to avoid deficiencies even if I dislike the idea.

I've done some tanning before and I'm planning on using animal skins to store and collect water. No idea if it will work long term but there's no water shortage if not (loads of snow in winter and several rivers in the area during summer. Good glacier water)

White ash is what I'm planning on using for soap and water purifier. You got any experience with it?

Thanks for the thorough reply, anon. I appreciate it.

>>927077
Thanks

>>927427
True. I'm planning on using snowshoes in winter but I'm worried the snow outside my cave will get polluted and visible.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-12-21-20-48-1.png (247KB, 1080x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-12-21-20-48-1.png
247KB, 1080x1130px
>>926476
Low smoke relies on complete combustion, as >>926558 stated. This means using dry wood, as well as good airflow. You may want to build a small bellows to get your fire hot enough in wet conditions or with new wood.
>>
>>926476
I also found an article about the Dakota fire pit, seems like exactly what you need.

http://survivial-training.wonderhowto.com/how-to/build-hide-campfire-from-your-enemies-dakota-fire-pit-0116303/
>>
File: cazlvKs..jpg (373KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cazlvKs..jpg
373KB, 1024x768px
>>929418
>>
>>929416
Dry and hot. Check.

>>929418
>>929464
Thank you. I like how they also mention animal dung as fuel. Will animal dung burn smoke free you think?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.