[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mushrooms thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 29

File: image.jpg (345KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
345KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone tried Amanita muscaria? And if so where and how did you get it?

What was it like?

Mushroom thread
>>
>>926135
Those are poisonous OP!
>>
>fucking druggies evar time!
>>
>>926135
fly agaric will make you sick.

buy some books, do some research
>>
OP here,
No not a druggy,

Im studying viking culture

Apprently the berserkers
Brewed Amanita muscaria into tea

Im just wondering if anyone could give me insight into how this has affected you if anyone has ever done it, thank you guys
>>
>retard who can't even Google wanting to mushroom
Find them all the time innawoods in the one, ignore them because other psychedelics are plentiful as fuckif I wanted to be a degenerate and don't want to spend time dryingng and boiling these things while still risking the chance of shitting my brains out for a week.

Spend a day or two learning which psychedelics are native to your area and how to identify them, shits not that hard but you are probably some degenerate cunt and probably dumb enough you would get yourself killed.
>>
>>926156
>some super nigger cant read a post

Nice
>>
speaking of food mushrooms I like to sautee puffballs with chicken and then eat it with pasta.
>>
>>926150
If you were actually studying you would know most of what we have from Vikings is still of questionable certainty.

There's plenty of psychedelics that aren't heavily stated to cause fairly bad intestinal issues.
>>
so... is the thread ruined or are there folk here who want to discuss their mushroom findings?
haven't seen a mushroom thread in a while

>pic related
some honey fungus I picked up last year
also, has anyone successfully foraged for morels? haven't found any yet, wondering where to look for them in spring.
>>
File: IMG_20161028_105149.jpg (227KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161028_105149.jpg
227KB, 597x597px
Yes OP, theyre great. Had 3 this season, picked them myself in stevens pass washington in october. Dont ask /out/s opinion on anything but gear. These fags are all so /in/ its actually hilarious that they think so highly of themselves. Anything that deviates from the norm around here is some fantasy that will just kill you if you try it irl.

If you wanna eat the muscaria, dry it out all the way first. This converts the ibotenic acid that gives you nausea to micimol which is what makes you trip. I did it by wrapping them in paper towels and letting them sit on the defrost vent in my car all day while i drove. You can bake them too, or dry them however the fuck else you want. They actually taste pretty good for a mushroom. Like a dirty potato. You can smoke them too if you want. The trip is great, just go for it.
>>
>>926498
what he said.
Wa fag here too. I picked some just before it got cold here. I ended up getting norovirus later that night and didn't dry them out so they got trashed. Ill have to wait till next year to try them now.
Check out this doc about doing them. Dudes seemed to have a good time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3S6Ktj1Nk
>>
>>926135
>>926150

Yes, it is not hard to find them in Oregon. They pop up under evergreen trees around here all the time in like November to December. They taste pretty bad when they are dried and the trip isn't remarkable. I just saw the ring on my speakers fly off into space and turn different colors and my friend thought a dog poster on my wall was some sort of demon thing. They also give you some pretty bad nausea
>>
Is there a way to grow chantrelles in a sort of garden? I have a massive patch of them that grow on my land every year and I thought it would be neat if I could cultivate them
>>
>>926515
>>926498
When is the best time to find mushrooms in the Bay Area? Research says fall and winter, but I was having more success in November than I am now.
>>
do you actually NEED a mushroom knife?
>>
File: .jpg (2MB, 3450x2300px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
2MB, 3450x2300px
Mushrooms!
I like them, but afraid to pick stuff by myself.
>>
>>926637
no you dont, anything that cuts is literally fine,
unless of course you are cutting something super toxic/poisonous which in case you should be using gloves,

but thats supposed to be a given at all times anyway
>>
Try once more:

https://youtu.be/cKo4FMzt_hM
>>
>>926648
Want to learn more? Read Mushrooms Demystified! It's essentially the mushroom hunter's bible
>>
>>926629
Mushrooms grow in every season. Just pick 1 or 2 species of mushrooms, know them very well, and then pick them. For example, many puff balls grow in the spring or summer months
>>
File: IMG_2746.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2746.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>926648
Start with the easy stuff
Chanetrell I picked last year.
>>
>>926674
Chanterelle is not an easily first edible. It can be mistaken for Jack O Lantern mushrooms, a poisonous species. However, from what I hear, it'd definitely a superior edible, behind only the truffles.
>>
File: chantvsjack.jpg (146KB, 625x360px) Image search: [Google]
chantvsjack.jpg
146KB, 625x360px
>>926734
Yes it is. It's one of the first things edible mushroom book teach.
>>
File: unnamed (23).jpg (28KB, 376x503px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (23).jpg
28KB, 376x503px
>>926135
any hunters in the sierras? just ordered the book mentioned above and wonder what i can find around here
>>
>>926778
You have to be reading some meme book if it's telling you a good beginner mushroom is something that has a poisonous look-a-like that is not very difficult to mistake. A good beginner mushroom is something like the Indigo Milk Cap, which does not have many (if any really) look-a-likes, all of them similar mushrooms are easy to tell apart, and the similar mushrooms are not poisonous
>>
File: 1459196536585.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1459196536585.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>926629
Yo. North Bay forager here. What part of the bay area are you in?

I'm in Santa Rosa and I'm still finding shit. You can usually count on there being mushrooms up somewhere from the first major rain of the fall season all the way though mid spring. Understand that mushrooms fruit in flushes. A variety of environmental conditions will determine when a species fruits-- and different species fruit in different conditions. Everything has its peak season, but you can usually find a given species' before and after it peak. Understanding and exploiting topography / microclimate will help you find stuff all year round: you can find chanterelles in august along the coast where there's abundant fog drip.
Lately I've been fining candy caps (lots!), chanterelles (C. californicus and subalbidus), pigs ears, black trumpets, and Hericium. Your best bet this time of year is hunting under coast live oak or tanoak. I don't have any mature doug fir in my area, but it's probably good right now too; I made a trip to point reyes a couple weeks ago and it was poppin'.
This storm we're having should bring lots more out in the coming weeks. Black trumpets especially. Good luck!
>>
>>926623
No easy way to cultivate chanterelles. They're a mycorrhizal species that associates with a tree / trees. They can't be grown like a plant or transplanted like decomposers.
>>
>>926659
>>926648
Mushrooms demystified is the mushroom bible, alright-- but it's thick, heavy, and difficult for a beginner to use. Find a region-specific guide. If you're the in western half of the USA, Mushroom's Demystified has an associated pocket guide called All That the Rain Promises and More (also by David Aurora) that's by far the best book for beginners.
>>
File: 20170101_131348.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170101_131348.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Waxy cap-- probably in the genus Hygrocybe
>>
File: 20161229_161623.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161229_161623.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Candy cap ( Lactarius rubidus) the size of my palm. Found this with Bishop Pine, an uncommon association. Oddly, most of the candy caps I found with bishop pine were solitary and above average in cap size. I wonder if there's connection.
>>
File: 20161229_142219.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161229_142219.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Gratuitous candy cap shot. That was a good day. Bagged 2+ pounds of em in about 3 hours
>>
File: IMG_20170111_112353.jpg (2MB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170111_112353.jpg
2MB, 1564x1564px
Misc finds. Only have very tentative, general IDs on these
>>
File: IMG_20170111_112649.jpg (2MB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170111_112649.jpg
2MB, 1564x1564px
Hygrophorus russula. I've only ever found this once. Pic doesn't do it justice, the red patches were a much richer shade
>>
>>926778
If you come across a fake Chanetrell, just open the stem. If it's pithy and meaty inside, you got an edible one. If it's hollow, don't swallow.
>>
>>926978
RP fag here. Point Ryes is awesome, never been mushrooming there though.
There's a small redwood grove just west of Glen Ellen. Found some pretty good stuff there around this time of year.
>>
>>926135
Have a friend who tried eating some raw once when he was younger. He said that he felt sick and threw up and got a mild high. Totally not worth it. He also had a bad stomach that evening
>>
>>926150
/his/ fag here, beserkers were not crazy people, berserker meant champion as in a man who would preform duels for his master/king.
Another thing, there were some accounts of people going charging out and going on a killing spree but they did not use mushrooms and were sane at the time, just lusting for a kill.
>>
>>926971
Depends if the look alikes even appear in the region
>>
>>928701
Pro-tip: very few edibles will be found with redwood. Your time in better spent elsewhere.
>>
>>926150
>studying viking culture
>calls it viking culture
ISHYGGYDYGGYDO
>>
File: witsen_shaman_wikipedia.jpg (158KB, 537x398px) Image search: [Google]
witsen_shaman_wikipedia.jpg
158KB, 537x398px
>>926150
>Apprently the berserkers
Brewed Amanita muscaria into tea

Hoo boy, you're in for it... While the aesthetic warriors of the beserkers were primarily professional champions and teachers as mentioned by >>928747, we should also make it clear how they consumed mushrooms for ceremonies.

As >>926142 says, it will make you sick. Very sick. You will be puking and shitting yourself for hours if consumed directly. Its fairly well accepted that, much like many other Nordic, Urgic and Germanic peoples, the mushrooms were processed and consumed in form of urine- Most likely goat or a volunteer (though the Sami use reindeer).

If you want to do shrooms, get a Psilocybin from someone who knows what they are growing. Have a friend to babysit you, who knows whats going on.
>>
>>926734
Chanterelles are really easy to identify if you take the time to properly look them up and the differences with their poisonous look alikes. Anyone not willing to take the time to do the research to feel confident they know what they have should never fucking bother picking mushrooms.

Easiest is probably lobster and hedgehogs for novices though.

I'm not finding a god damn thing on the Oregon coast this winter except for dead mushrooms.
>>
>>928661
I feel nervous trying to find candy caps. Still quite a novice, only found lobsters chanterelles and hedgehogs on my own thus far.
>>
>>926136
>>926142
Just about every mushroom will make you sick unless you prepare it the right way.

>>926135
Read up on how to properly consume it. Don't quote me, but I believe you can make tea out of it, to lessen the side effects.
>>
File: 0__DSC3654.jpg (216KB, 536x800px) Image search: [Google]
0__DSC3654.jpg
216KB, 536x800px
>>928668
bottom right one could be either Sarcoscypha coccinea or Sarcoscypha austriaca. both are edible.
>>
File: IMG_1009.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1009.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I think this is chick-of-the-woods but I'm not 100% sure.
>>
>>931823
Yeah. It's Laetiporus Cincinnatus.
>>
>>926492
I found about a dozen Morels last spring and probably twenty some Slippery Jacks in the fall, I find a ton of small puffballs too, but I'm extremely cautious about them if they're under three inches wide, so I rarely pick any.

The Morels were incredible, sauteed in butter and poured over grilled chicken, the taste and texture was a little like clams. The Slips were pretty good, they tasted almost exactly like Shiitake (nutty), but are a lot harder to prepare, because you have to skin and de-pore them. Puffs are nearly flavorless, and shrink down to about a third of their size if you fry them, so if you sautee them in butter, you basically get a rubbery piece of butter; I hear they're better in soups, so I'm planning on trying that once fungi hunting season begins.
>>
>>930644
Crimini (White button/Portobello) is the only shroom I can think of that can be safely eaten raw.
>>
>>931823
cut your nails
>>
Anyone from Norcal here? Is the foraging good there? Want to visit soon cause I live in a desert :(
>>
>>932258

I just spent a week inna woods gimme a break.
>>
File: Giftskogen.jpg (189KB, 1600x858px) Image search: [Google]
Giftskogen.jpg
189KB, 1600x858px
>>932446
ayyy whaddup my dude
Santa Rosa / Arcata Here. It's towards the end of the season, but there still loads to be found.

I take it you're from SoCal...
>>
>>932766
Ya guessed it. It's a little nicer now 'cause of the rainfall at least but the new sprouting mushrooms are drying up quickly already.

I know the drought affects all of California, "the grass is greener on the other side" etc. but I'm still envious of the tasty edibles available up there; candy caps, prince shrooms, morels, parasols, plus the more frequent rain. Do you have a favorite national forest?
>>
File: thumbnail_IMG_0991.jpg (30KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_IMG_0991.jpg
30KB, 320x240px
>>932797
And to contribute to the thread, a little purple guy I found next to the sidewalk.
>>
File: RAN293.jpg (194KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
RAN293.jpg
194KB, 1280x1280px
>>926135
I'm going on my first mushroom forage soon, I bought pic related and plan on going out when it rains again. What gear am I gonna need? I plan on getting one of those mushroom knives with the brush on it, and some kind of basket/bag. If I'm supposed to keep the different mushrooms separate, do I need several smaller bags?
>>
File: 20160925_122604.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160925_122604.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>932810
>>932810
>one of those mushroom knives with the brush on it
No. A regular knife will do. I had a friend who insisted on using a broken plastic knife for a season, and it worked well enough. I recommend using an old toothbrush or your fingers to clean mushrooms in the field (and I strongly recommend cleaning your edibles BEFORE you bag them).
>some kind of basket/bag
Avoid plastic, especially produce bags. Mushrooms 'breath' and will get nasty if kept in plastic too long. Not necessarily a concern for short periods, but good practices dictate the avoidance of plastic. I mostly use a canvas grocery bag or similar. Wicker baskets are good too.
>keep the different mushrooms separate
Depends on what I find. I keep two or three canvas bags stashed in my backpack just in case. For small specimens you want to ID, a tackle / craft box like this [http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pZMdtGWmbv4/VZaLO0lsljI/AAAAAAAATEM/hSicdnuzlzk/s400/IMG_8845.jpg] works great.
>>
>>932798
>>932797
Shasta - Trinity National forest is great, but most of my best patches are on private timber land. I've never hunted south of Monterey, so about the only advice I can give you is to look under coast live oak. Loads of edibles associate with 'em or live in the leaf litter.
Can't positively ID your pic, but it might be a blewit-- they love live oak litter. Look for mature trees with a decent carpet of dead leaves, minimal understory, and just a little grass peeking through. Some people say the cut stems smell like orange juice concentrate. Found shitloads of blewits this year. Shame they don't take well to preservation.
>>
>>933308
It would be appreciated by the community at large if you used a mesh bag of some sort. Most shrooms reproduce through spore drops, and mesh bags help spread spores and increase yields in the following years.

>I once had a nightmare that Morels went extinct; I woke up crying.
>>
>>926135
Hello, yes I have tried them. They were dried.

Within the first half an hour, my thoughts became very hard to control and I heard a shrill ring, and I could not focus elsewhere. It became more and more difficult and then I passed out.

When I woke up I was in an intense fear and I thought I would die. I was scared to hell. I prayed and prayed to God. Soon, I was in comedic bliss. I loved my family extremely. I was free. Hard-wired thoughts escaped me. I was dancing because I felt I had to dance.

Extremely intense. Be prepared.
>>
>>926135
I've always wanted to go Morel hunting but there is extremely slim picking where I'm at. Agaricus placomyces comes in plentiful, but other than that it simply does rain and shine enough to get any of the lovely species.

That, or I'm just REALLY bad at finding cool mushrooms.
>>
>>933370
*Simply doesn't
>>
>>933370
Go looking where there's been fires between 2-3 years ago, especially on southern facing hillsides where there's a lot of fallen trees. The trick I found that works best for me is to not look for Morels, look for pinecones that are standing straight up, about half of those will be mushrooms.
>>
POST MUSHROOM KNIVES
>>
File: it even has a little face.jpg (78KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
it even has a little face.jpg
78KB, 720x960px
>>932210
I'm not overly keen on puffballs, they don't taste of much. I only pick them out of principle when I have a slow foraging day and don't want to go home empty-handed

pic related is a Lepista Personata I found two years ago, before I knew they were edible. haven't found them since but they're meant to be really good
>>
>>926492
Dark side of a polar ridge is where to look my man.
>>
>>926492
>>933634
Poplar, damn autocorrect can't into trees
>>
File: IMG_0464.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0464.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Can anyone help me identify these mushrooms? Found them out back, live in Los Angeles. Pretty sure they're rotting, couldn't get a spore print. Should I remove all the rotting mushrooms to make room for new ones?

made another thread about it
>>>934252
>>
>>934261
I'm not familiar with them, but I'd speculate that they're not edible (mostly just because very few gilled mushrooms are). Even if they are, they're probably too soggy at this point to be palatable.

Props on putting a quarter in the picture though!
>>
>>934295
I'm less interested in eating them and more interested in simply identifying them, as I'm new to mushroom hunting and am trying to practice.

My bigger question is should I remove the rotting mushrooms to foster new growth?
>>
>>934261
they look like some type of honey fungus, but there's too many lookalikes to be sure.
wet and decaying mushrooms are nearly impossible to identify. just bin them and check that spot later to see if any new, identifiable ones have grown.
>>
>>926150
Here's some relevant academic articles I had on hand that talk about beserkers.

>http://www.medievalists.net/2016/01/berserk-for-berserkir/

>http://www.medievalists.net/2016/01/berserkir-a-re-examination-of-the-phenomenon-in-literature-and-life/
>>
>>934337
Personally, I'd remove them if they can be identified as not edible so they don't spread any more than they already have. I wouldn't want them spreading to a neighbors' yard, especially if they have kids.

On the other hand, if they are edible, you may be able to cultivate them further; typically all that takes is driving splinters of your host wood into logs, soaking and stacking them.

The main things you're going to want to look for is season, location, type of medium it's growing on, gills or pores, sheath presence, size and print shape and color. Most good books on mycology will include a list of poisonous look-alikes, so if you find one you think is right, check all of those and see what it's most similar to. When you're absolutely convinced that you've positively identified it, ask a local mycologist to identify it (they'll need a sample, not a picture). Once you both agree on every mushroom you bring them you're probably ready to go out on your own.

Personally, my only interest in it is edibles; I stick predominantly to Morels, various Bolettes and puffballs. Even the most skilled mycologists have died from misidentification, and remember, only one mushroom in the basket has to be poisonous to turn a whole stew into a toxic meal.
>>
>>926135
Was delicious, just a little bite to the flavor. Enjoy op, see ya never.
>>
File: HP-64 plastik saklama kabi.png (292KB, 770x483px) Image search: [Google]
HP-64 plastik saklama kabi.png
292KB, 770x483px
Is this thread for growing mushrooms as well?

I've been thinking of trying to grow shiitakes on a log. However, as I live in a highrise I have no access to keeping the logs outside. So i've been thinking if it is possible to do inside?
I have access to freshcut oak logs, so that should be fine.

My plan would be to innoculate the logs, then keep them in a clear plastic box like pic related.
To ensure air flow, I'd cut some holes in the lid and cover them with fine, sterile gauze.

I'd keep the box at room temperature on a shelf/in a corner in my office.

Is this idea pantsu on headu retarded, or could it work? I haven't been able to find anything online about using an enclosed box like that inside.
>>
File: bubbleshelter.jpg (14KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
bubbleshelter.jpg
14KB, 320x180px
>>935209

An old roomie of mine grows shrooms in a lake near the apartment complex I used to live at. He found these tutorials on Youtube to make a thing that traps a huge bubble of air underwater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLYst8G4b0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o7K7HNf_7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phj3lLEtWlk

Even this kid made a shitty one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prakf1cuKio

So it's apparently not hard. We're in Florida so the temp even underwater is suitable except in winter, and the humidity is high since it's open to water on the bottom. Basically perfect shroom grow conditions.

He started doing this because the new complex owner finds excuses to send maintenance guys he thinks are snooping in peoples' rooms looking for illegal shit, and there's not enough room to grow on the scale he wanted to (he sells)

He just scuba dives down there in the dead of night once a month which is apparently how long it takes for them to be ready to harvest.

Even if he is busted for some small amount there is no way in hell cops ever find the mother lode he is hiding down there
>>
>>935223
While having my very own Shroom-Rapture would probably be great fun, I live in a place where it would be prohibitively cold for that. The lakes are currently all close to freezing over.

And while I can see it working for high-value crops, shiitake for my frying pan is probably a bit overkill.
>>
>>935223

Friend should set up a camera, if they do go snooping, he can file a giant lawsuit.
>>
>>935264

I've suggested this but he doesn't want to draw that kind of attention to himself when he's growing a fucking lake full of shrooms nearby
>>
>>935209
Depends on the fungi. Some don't even need logs, you can grow them right on sawdust or straw (as long as you don't move them so much that you break the mycelium. You'll probably want to bleach the containers between uses and bake fresh medium each time, but other that that, it's just spores, medium and water.
>>
Any recommended reads for some who wants to get in to mushrooms
>>
>>935223
that looks so needlessly complicated senpai
>>
>>935356
Never tried straw or sawdust, but I've read that your need to sterilise that. I don't have the equipment for that, but I got access to a decent supply of fresh oak logs, hence my interest in doing it that way.
>>
>>935378

It's a bunch of clear plastic bags of trapped air tied down to a couple 5 gallon buckets of concrete. This isn't the Apollo program
>>
>>926135
Just abuse Benadryl instead, you'll have a shitty terrifying time but probably won't die.
>>
>>935466
You don't have some bleach and an oven?
>>
>>926136

Mild chance of hallucinations
Mild risk of diarrhea
>>
>>935356
Good ones for this are oyster, King Stropharia, and even morels. At my college we have a club where we do this
>>
>>938601
High risk of kidney failure
>>
File: rhizopus.jpg (2MB, 2144x3808px) Image search: [Google]
rhizopus.jpg
2MB, 2144x3808px
Here's some rhizopus microsporus I harvested from corn, wouldn't recommend eating it
>>
>>933370
Pine forests with lots of deadfall and needles, they thrive on the acids. I wish i had pics of the trashbags of morels i harvested last year
>>
>>926135
theyre super good. sweet and nutty. read this first though.

http://davidarora.com/uploads/rubel_arora_muscaria_revised.pdf

>>926136
morels are poisonous if eaten raw. you just gotta cook em right. same with A. muscaria.

>>926150 vikings didnt use it. siberians did. theyd drink reindeer or peasant piss to isolate the toxin that makes you feel like youre on valium (nobody is going to berserk on that shit) it makes you sleepy like you just drank a couple beers and really relaxed (its not that great desu)

if you wanted to isolate that toxin and remove the other toxin (which makes you throw up a lot) youd dry the mushroom and then toast it and eat it like a cracker

since i eat these as a food a lot (parboiling and tossing both water soluble toxins) my partner and i saved all of the toxic tea once to try. hella people came over. warned them they might throw up all night and that they wouldnt trip. 12 people tried it. 2 felt something. 5 threw up all night. 5 people didnt feel shit.
>>
>>926629
september till like feb or march. candy caps are out. Amanita velosa are starting to pop. The Helvella are out. Still finding random porcini here and there. Black trumpets will be out in the bay in a few weeks but not like the numbers youd find north and south of here. chanterelles are popping like crazy. pulled like 40lbs out of the east bay a few days ago.
>>
>>926734
nope. its one of the "fool proof four"

if you are confusing gills (individual separate blades on the cap underside)

and the ridges and folds of a chanterelle

you might be retarded.

non of the "false chanterelles" have any real morphologic similarity to true chanterelles other than color.
>>
>>926826
under pine

>>926980
true. i delude myself by feeding scraps to the trees in my back yard (the wrong mycorrhizal host mind you) in the hopes that theyll grow

they wont. you need an entire ecosystem.

though some people have allegedly done this method and got fruiting bodies in as little as five years.

>>928658
interesting.

>>928747
this is accurate. vikings did not shroom nor did they have spikey helmets.

>>928887
true

>>929067
"If you want to do shrooms, get a Psilocybin" <- this

though the woodchip species are way stronger than the cubensis your buddy grows

>>930139
this. yeah whats yall got snow your season for edibles was kind of fucked. theyll be a few weirdos growing in the snow. but youll have to wait till spring/morel season to go hunt again.

>>930140
thats the first wild mushroom i learned to id. just follow the keys. theyre really helpful. you want to hit all the identifying features. if any are off dont eat it.

>>930644
a thousand times this.

>>932210
try drying the Suilis and using them as spice

>>932218
wrong. they are poisonous raw. coccora, porcini, and beefsteak can be eaten raw. tons of people eat raw buttons but i wouldnt recommend it. eat enough of em and youll shit and puke your brains out. i wouldnt even put them raw on a pizza. id cook em then add em on.

>>932810
if youre hunting where its illegal dont bring a basket. backpack with hella empty bags in it.

>>933308
"Avoid plastic, especially produce bags." <- a thousand times this

>>933312
"look under coast live oak." <- yes

>>933370
you might live in a shitty spot. go drive somewhere else and look in those woods.

>>934847
"Personally, I'd remove them if they can be identified as not edible so they don't spread any more than they already have. I wouldn't want them spreading to a neighbors' yard, especially if they have kids."

this has absolutely no scientific basis and does not account for mushroom reproductive cycles/function. fungi are not plants.
>>
>>935548
Maybe a stupid question, but can you simply microwave the substrate to sterilise?
>>
>>941397
I don't think so.
The easiest way to do it, if you're putting the substrate in jars, would be to steam sterilize them in a large pot.
>>
Advice for a novice mushroom cultivator? My roommate and I are interested in cultivating oyster mushrooms using the bag method. I got pic related from the library and have been reading through it. My roommate is very gung ho and basically wants to just go ahead with it in the simplest way possible, while I'm a bit more hesitant, wanting to do more research before starting. What methods & materials would you recommend for a simple, small-scale first attempt?
>>
>>942609
pf tek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHJQrsZFQdE
>>
Just found a Facebook group that's pretty active with postings in my area, really stoked since we're a month out from the season starting again.
>>
File: IMAG0209.jpg (2MB, 3808x2144px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0209.jpg
2MB, 3808x2144px
No idea what it is but its neat
>>
File: IMAG0165.jpg (3MB, 2144x3808px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0165.jpg
3MB, 2144x3808px
>>943455
This one too
>>
>>942609
Get a mentor. There are bound to be some mushroom pickers in your area, and people who enjoy niche hobbies are always thrilled to pass on their knowledge.
>>
>>943455
Jack O'Lantern mushroom (poisonous)
>>943456
Coral Mushroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE-takEBLyA

Don't eat random shit unless you want to an hero.
>>
>>943481
>crown tip coral
Very cool, that one in my pic is about 14 inches across ill have to try eating some
>>
>>941211
holy fuck this response

who else here is from /psy/
>>
File: Mushrooms in my backyard.jpg (1MB, 1296x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Mushrooms in my backyard.jpg
1MB, 1296x1944px
I found these in my backyard this morning.
They're probably nothing interesting though.
>>
>>943461
I'm thinking about doing that this year. Honestly thinking about finding groups for out hobbies I like, maybe meet some grills, if not at least plenty of mycology information.

Honestly it's been really odd feeling this excited to learn about something, ever since discovering my first edible mushroom I can't stop learning about fungus in general, might even pursue a career.
>>
>>943488
Looks like common ink caps. Don't consume and drink alcohol for 48 hours.
>>
>>926135
i've done these weird little fuckers three times, one dried mushroom each fall. it's always been a great experience. no discomfort whatsoever in small doses (3-5g). provides a strange mental clarity, fucks with perception of time in a somewhat dissociative manner and is mildly stimulating. lasts for about 3-5 hours. i won't do any larger doses, as the drying leaves a whole lot of ibotenic acid uncarboxylated, despite what internet faggots tell you. and this poisons you a bit, but you have to do really heroic doses (15+ g) to be in any real danger.
>>
>>934847
>Even the most skilled mycologists have died from misidentification

That's pretty spooky.
I've started foraging casually with a couple of friends maybe 2 years ago. We make sure not to touch anything we haven't previously studied carefully.

So we usually stick to amanitas cesareas and chantarelles as we've had most luck with those.
But your post gave me the scares now.

I'm pretty certain I won't confuse these two with any other. And I've read online of people supposedly confusing amanita cesarea with amanita phalloides which I find weird since they are different color, both the gills and the cap.

I'm being a little paranoid. Should I be?
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.