[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get into hunting as an adult? I live in FL and I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

File: IMAG0472_1.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0472_1.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
How do you get into hunting as an adult?

I live in FL and I've grown up on the beach doing beach things, but I've always been really interested in hunting, particularly hogs, gator and coyote. The thing is that I'm not really sure where to go or what to do, or how to really get started. Everybody i know who hunts has been doing it since childhood, and any time i ask about it i just get vague answers. Any tips or advice?
>>
Not a hunter but I can tell you what i know. Just googling hunting for beginners or hunting 101 will explain you the basics. You should be able to find a hunting course near you also by googling it, as you must pass hunting safety course before you get your licence.
>>
>>925702
Also, my biggest fear with hunting (or most /out/ activities for that matter, but especially the ones involving weapons) is being hunted. I'm not white, and I don't want to get miles out innawoods only to get shot at by some supremacist redneck who could easily claim he thought I was a deer (assuming they ever find me.)

How do I overcome this? It's seriously restricting my enjoyment for almost all /out/ things that don't take place in the public eye.
>>
>>925704
What comes after these courses? So you know your safety and you have a license... But what are you supposed to do with it from that point?
>>
>>925707
. . . shoot shit
>>
>>925705

Always wear something bright orange (so no one can reasonably claim it was an accident) and always tell someone where you're going and when you expect to get back. That's about all you can do.

Oh yeah, and arm yourself. But if you're hunting you'll already have a firearm, and I don't know how you could become the hunted if you have a way to shoot back.
>>
>>925714
Idk I just kinda see myself getting picked off out of the blue from some fat fuck in a tree stand some place.

Is it safe to hunt alone? I notice a trend of group hunts around here, I understand the concept of strength in numbers but I'd rather be alone than surrounded by strangers who might find my company distasteful.
>>
>>925712
Can't just go out and start laying waste to creatures indescriminately. How are you supposed to know where it's okay to shoot shit and where it isn't? Is all of that stuff covered in the hunting safety course?
>>
>>925705
what the fuck that is the most irrational fear i've ever heard. You been watching too much mainstream media champ
>>
>>925742
Lmao. I won't argue that it sounds a little off, but I promise you it's not media influenced. I'd wager you could ask most blacks in the south why they don't go innawoods and they'd probably give you similar responses.

My fear developed from kayaking in PA with my aunt, when bullets were flying in our direction. I won't say that they were shooting at us, because I don't believe that was the case, I think they were just a couple guys enjoying the outdoors while shooting at shit with no consciousness of what was behind it.

But it definitely made me think, had that been down south and they were anything less than friendly, it could've gone very different.
>>
>>925745
If you're that worried carry an AR and shoot back, it'll make them think.

Or be a nogunz faggot, just sayin'
>>
>>925757
>Noguns faggot
>Jamal with Glock 40 problem solver.

Either way, I just can't win with you people.
>>
People in florida are more friendly than you think. I met a naked guy in his trailer watching nascar that gave me $20 when my car broke down in bumblefuck.

I'd be more afraid of people up north back in PA.
>>
>>925702
Well hunting gator is an expensive venture.. The licence for it is a lottery to begin with, then if you're lucky enough to get tags, you're gonna need a boat. Then once you kill the gator you gotta know how to skin an butcher it or know someone who can (more money) and tanning gator hide isn't an easy job either.. There are company's who will tan them for you. But will cost you big money for just a couple of hides...

-source florida native.
>>
>>925897
PA was a surprisingly racist experience, I'll give you that. Grew up in FL tho, I've experienced the good and bad. I have to say I don't find your story to be surprising in the slightest lol. But on the other side of that, I've sat in campfire rings where they shared stories of that one time they chucked the remains of a stupid nigger whore in the fire. No offense to me of course...
>>
>>925934
This is good information. Idk why I had the misconception that at a certain time of year there was a "bag as many as you can" policy. Would hogs be a better beginner's venture?

Also, is there a coyote season here? I've seen them in Ocala and that immediate area enough, that's kind of where I got the idea to hunt them.
>>
>live in florida
>want to hunt
Buy the cheapest pump action 12ga shotgun you can and a handful of slugs. Now go blast pigs. That's practically all you have to do.
>>
>>925951
Well hog is year round. And definitely easier to start out with. Yes. So is rabbit is also year round. I love rabbit pelts because the fur is a great leather to work with and the skin side is super thin like a cotton dress shirt. So it can be used in a regular sewing machine for crafts. I'm unsure about coyote if you check myfwc website it will tell you all the seasons per zones. I live in the green swamp area and its kinda an odd ball zone compared to most of florida. Turkey and duck are easy to start off with too. And squirrel has nice pelts for wallets. Snake and large bullfrog for exotic leathers and are pretty easy to tan once you get a good setup going.

Deer is popular but deer fags just piss me off. Baiting and sitting in tree stands for 2 days so you can shoot one to feel more like a man is just cringey. If you hunt deer. Find a nice zone and track them and use a bushgun for hunting them. It leaves you with a more proud feeling and you know in your heart you didn't take the easy route of killing the creature. You should feel proud and respect towards your hunt. Its what separates you from the Psychopaths.
>>
>>925971
>Be me in canoe exploring intracoastal waterway channels
>Boar runs out of bushes into the water solely to ram canoe
>Proceed to beat boar in the face with wooden oar about 8 times
>Boar gives no fucks
> Start jabbing at his eyes
> He runs off in the opposite direction
>Throw canoe on truck and drive straight to the gun store
>"Do you guys have a semi that'll pierce a boars skull?"
>Walk out with Glock 29

I haven't had to shoot anything with it yet, but are you even allowed to hunt with pistols here? The guy behind the counter didn't seem to question it, but I never hear of anybody using them.

Mine is chambered in 10mm, Will it actually work?
>>
>>925973
I feel you. When an animal is year round do you still need tags for it? Like do I have to pay somebody for each hog or can I literally just go hunt some down whenever I feel like it?
>>
File: LOL ITS ONLY 10mm.jpg (41KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
LOL ITS ONLY 10mm.jpg
41KB, 750x600px
>>925979
>10mm
>>
>>925951
Hogs, coyotes and rabbits are all non-native to Florida and are classified as "noxious nuisances"
That means no closed seasons and no bag limits. Hogs you can even hunt at night with lights so long as it's on private property, if memory serves.
>>
>>925985
No tags, but you do need a hunting license to hunt them on public land.
If it's private land, you don't even need that-all you need is permission from the landowner and you're good to go.
>>
>>925951
Here's the PDF of FL's current game seasons and bag limits
http://www.myfwc.com/media/2147435/seasondates.pdf
>>
>>925705

I grew up learning to hunt with my folks in backwoods Mississippi amd we were about as black and country as could ben and we never ever encountered any racist white supremacist hunter/murderers. All encounters with white people were cordial.

Hell, being a minority and a competent hunter/fisherman/outdoorsman is actually a pretty quick way to get into the good (relatively speaking) graces of even the most seemingly bigoted good ol' boy. It gives you some common ground, a willingness to get your hands dirty, and shows some measure of self sufficiency- which is shit they're all about.
>>
>>925973

Dunno. The effort it takes to cultivate the right area, sit and wait for days, pass up multiple opportunities all in order to harvest a single specific animal as cleanly as possible does take some impressive patience/skill.

I mean, I grew up hunting by walking around in the bushes with a shotgun and shooting one of the few legal deer that jumped out, bit I'm not going to act like that kind of hunting requires more effort or gives me any kind of moral high ground.
>>
>>925702
I'd take a hunter safety course first. You'll need one to get a hunting license anyway. They teach a LOT of stuff about how to be safe with guns in outdoor situations (for obvious reasons) for a few days, and usually end up at a shooting range where people get a basic introduction to guns and marksmanship instruction.

Second is getting said hunting license. They can be picked up at most any sporting goods section of any store or online. License fees for in-state residents who want to hunt generally isn't much, usually around $20 or so. I'd also pick up a free yearly manual with the current hunting regs that is usually kept by the sales counter. That will answer A LOT of the specific questions you've been asking in this thread.

Third is getting a vest or something in blaze orange. FL requires hunters to wear at least 500 square inches of BO (about the size of a vest) when innawoods with guns (most game animals can't see the color, but humans can, and from quite far away). You can get mesh BO vests in the sporting goods section of Walmart for less than $10, so getting legal is cheap and works for most of the weather in FL. If you want your BO to come with comfort, warmth, and pockets (or even full BO camo) you'll be paying more.
Fourth is your gun. Lots of rabbit holes you can go down here, so I would STRONGLY recommend buying something with readily available ammo sizes.
Rifles in calibers like 223, 243, 308, 30-30, and 30-06 as well as shotguns in 12 gauge are all suitable for what you want to do. All have ammo that can be bought at Walmart as well, often at prices below $1 per round.
>>
>>925719
That's where the blaze orange comes in.
If you're wearing it, they can't reasonably claim that they thought you were a deer or didn't know you were there (deer season is when most hunters are in the woods-and when most accidents happen). And if you're shot in a tree stand, it's going to be a murder charge for them-deer and hogs don't live in trees.

As for groups of people all going out hunting together, the way my family does it is like this:
There are a bunch of large-ish areas that are all spread out across the property we use and all have a few treestands in them. Each of us announces where we're going to go, picks a different spot spread out for safety, and then we go out to hunt. Each day has two hunts, morning (sunup to about 10AM) and afternoon (about 3PM to sundown). If you don't show up when that hunt ends, you'll get a text. If you don't respond to that, they start looking for you.
It doesn't happen often, but accidents do happen. One of the older guys went into a diabetic coma and fell out of his treestand, breaking three ribs when he landed flat on his gun. We found him late in the morning and had him airlifted to the hospital. So that, plus cooking, field dressing and socializing is when the group is handy. But when we're all actually hunting from blinds or stands, everyone is alone in their own spot.
>>
>>925766
>you people
Noted

Anyway, it's like the military says about all plans for battle-they are valid until first contact with the enemy. Most people aren't out to get you. If they were, they'd pick a much better time to do it than when you were standing near them with a loaded gun. As for it happening innawoods, they're usually quite quiet. You'll easily be able to hear even small critters moving around you, so an
Lambush is unlikely. If you're in camo, up in a stand and don't fidget, you'll be silent and not very noticeable. Just trust your senses and stay aware and things will work out fine.
>>
>>925702
What part of Fl are you in? I'm in the same situation and am desperately trying to find someone to go out and get some hogs with. I'm not black but have the same fear of getting shot by some hick with a twitchy trigger finger
>>
>>925705
Trevon, is that you?
>>
>>925949
Grew up in FL too. One of the redneck infested parts.

For the most part, most of your fears are coming from venturing away from your comfort zone to do something you've never done before.
That's completely normal.
As with the inner city, the vast majority of people there are actually decent. It's just that one or two in a hundred who are unstable and dangerous.
With experience and a little awareness you'll quickly learn who you can relax around and who you can't.
>>
>>925719
>Is it safe to hunt alone?

I don't consider it to be. Not because someone else might shoot you, but the statistically more likely event that you might shoot yourself, break a limb or suffer some kind of injury, be attacked by an animal, etc.

My brother (black, 6'5, 300lbs) usually hunts with someone else. Couple of years ago, he went hunting by himself in southern Mississippi and fell while climbing into a tree stand. Broke his leg in 2 places. He did the 3 shots into the air thing. No cell phone signal. Still, he waited there for an hour and a half until another guy (a white guy) happened upon him and helped him out.

At the very least, make sure you tell people where you'll be and when to expect you back so that somebody comes to investigate if your're missing.
>>
>>926058
Doesn't this apply to all firearms?

>>926060
>>926066
This is good to know, so the same rules that apply to hogs apply to coyote? Also, is there any restrictions on what firearms or calibers you're allowed to use on these two animals specifically? Or some umbrella laws that cover all hunting in the state?
>>
>>926068
Supposed I should've read this firs, This is super helpful. Do these rules and dates change frequently or can I use this as a solid reference for years to come?

Also, .22lr seems a bit weak for a raccoon, and it exemplifies .22 Magnum. What other calibers could I use? Or is .22lr pretty much the only option.
>>
Get some friends that do it. Preferably a friend who is a know it all and needs to be appreciated.
Or hire a guide and tell him straight away how new are you and what to do?.
>>
>>925979
10mm is good for pigs, when loaded hot and heavy. Problem with the G29 (which btw, I lust for heavily) is the short bbl.
In a short bbl 10mm, it's tough to get the powder all burnt before the projectile leaves the muzzle. Also sight radius bullshit blah blah blah go ask /k/.

A longer bbl than the G29 (3.875"??) allows the 10mm to develop the velocity it was designed for.
>>
>>925719
Ive been innawods for almost 40 years. I've almost shot people doing stupisld shit. I've seen people get DickCheney'd. Always because of stupidass hunting partners. I will go sit in someone else's duckboat, but innawods, I'm alone. And wearing as little orange as I legally can. I'm hunting, not socializing.
>>
>>926794
Look at the regs-they're talking about what guns you have to use when hunting at night, mostly for noise reasons.
But I wouldn't worry too much-raccoons are easy to kill. Just use hollow point ammo and maybe a semi-auto like a River 10/22 or Marlin 60-you'll be golden.
>>
>>926794
>Do these rules and dates change frequently or can I use this as a solid reference for years to come?
They change the regs yearly.
Most of the time it doesn't change that much, but occasionally bag limits change due to shifts in animal populations, wildlife management strategy or political considerations. It's free to access the regs anyway (if you want to obey the law by hunting legally, they will let you), so you might as well stay current with a web search every so often.
>>
>>926427
Not OP, but same. Greater Orlando area here.
>>
>>926327
>>926414
>>926419
>>926434
>>926513
>>926815

Thanks guys, this is really reassuring :^)
I don't intend to go the tree blind route, maybe when I'm older and working the field takes a toll on me. Also, I'd rather invest in good gear that has orange on it opposed to buying a cheap vest.

More on the "alone or in a group" debate though, since it seems like that's a matter of personal preference, do you guys have any tips for hunting alone? I'm still leaning that way.
>>
>>926813
The barrel falls out pretty easily, would a longer one fit in there? I really like the idea of using a pistol to hunt.
>>926966
Yeah, I read it wrong the first time around. You can use anything but "at night" it's restricted to those two types. .22 probably makes The most sense regardless, do to minimal damage to the pelt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>926972
Okay, good to know. And I'll be able to find everything I need to know at myfwc?
>>
Also, any recommendations for hunting gear? Like a general list of items I'd need or are nice to have? Also shilleries to avoid
>>
Avid hunter here, in fact I shot a deer yesterday and it is aging in the ice chest.

Saying teach me about hunting, is like saying teach me about cooking. There is so much to learn.

Here are a few tips for hunting hogs.

Generally hogs are active only in the twilight time and at night. In some places you can hunt them at night, not in others. Hunting at night is more complex and not recommended for beginners.

If baiting is legal, the best way to kill hogs is to get them coming to bait, and then ambush them.

If you use a small caliber, you need to shoot for the head, in the ear hole. I don't recommend this unless you are sniper good. If you use a bigger caliber, aim low chest. The same goes with a bow, very low and as close to the front leg as possible.

Hogs don't see that well, you can get by wearing almost anything that breaks up your outline. They also make a bunch of noise, so you can get by with noise as well. You often hear pigs before you see them. Their main defense is their sense of smell. If the pigs smell you they are gone. ALWAYS. You must hunt pigs with the wind in your favor.

In my opinion the best pigs to eat are the small to medium size ones. I like ones between 70 and a 100 lbs. Big boars are stinky and smell like urine. They will taste like that as well. I will almost never shoot a big boar.

If you want to stalk a pig, and not hunt over bait or a water hole, move slowly into the wind. Listen for pig noises and the smell of pigs. If you see one, there are probably others very close by. If there is only one, it will be big and a boar.

You know pigs are in the area, because they root up the ground. It will look like someone came through with a rototiller. Their tracks are like a deer, but parallel and not a V.

Pigs almost never hold still, even when they are on your bait they are always moving, making the shot a bit more difficult.

If you have shot a pig, there may not be a lot of blood. If they are fat, it will sometimes block the hole.
>>
cont.

If you have made a good killing shot on the pig, and it didn't drop in it's tracks...it will be within 200 yards. If you track it 300 yards and the blood trail is still going, you didn't kill it.

If you don't have a blood trail and are just doing a grid search for your pig, make sure you look in every think spot, clump of brush, wood pile, etc... they will hide and die on occasion.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit, good luck. If you were here in Texas, I would take you out.
>>
>>925766
Better to be Jamal on da block widda Glock than be a pussy ass loser
>>
>>927227
>>927232

Really good info here. Wish somebody would drop some info like this for coyote haha. Question though, how come a smaller bullet should go for the head but a bigger for the chest? Why not put a bigger bullet through his head? I'm sure you have your reasons, but I'm just curious. And would you say 10mm is enough to do the job? My cousin has a Ruger chambered in 7.62x39 that he was trying to get rid of, I was thinking of using that if my pistol hunting doesn't go so well. I've heard people say it's similar to a 30-30, is that enough to kill a pig? I'm willing to bet it'll kill a yote, but after my run in with hogs I'm heavily concerned with the ability to drop them with a single shot.

Also, I've heard you're supposed to cut the balls off the male's asap, is this true?
>>
Okay, let me try and explain, sorry that wasn't more clear.

If you hit the brain or the heart with ANY bullet, you have killed the animal, damn quick. No question. Any size in the brain, big small, doesn't matter.

If let's say you only have a .22, while not legal for deer, you can shoot hogs with it here in Texas. If you shoot at the chest, and punch a tiny hole through the animal, you may only hit one lung or the liver, or whatever. You will probably not recover that pig. He might take several hours or even days to die. He might even survive.

You shoot at the chest because it gives you the highest margin of error and still kill cleanly. You just want to use a big enough bullet that it expands and does huge trauma.

I don't recommend handguns for hunting, because honestly....most people just don't shoot them well enough. If you are someone who is good enough, hey, good on you.

If you are using a handgun, 10 mm is a great caliber, that will do the most damage out side of a .50 like a Desert Eagle or something. Even more than the .45 1911, I carry as my side arm.

I own 4 Glocks, including a 10mm, I think they are great tools and belong in every bugout bag, but do not find them super accurate, like some other platforms.
>>
The balls on a pig do not hang outside of the body like a lot of animals, they are sort of made into the back of the pig. I have never cut them off (out) first.

It is a good idea to skin your pig soon after you find it, and get the meat cooled down. If you shoot a boar, the balls will go with the skin.

While I have killed hundreds and hundreds of hogs, I can count the coyotes on one hand. I am no expert on hunting them, mostly because I eat what I shoot on most occasions, and I am not hungry enough to eat a coyote...yet.

One last thing on hogs. A hog will not attack you unless it is wounded or trapped. A healthy hog will always escape if it can. They are pretty blind and when they get spooked they often run the direction they are pointed. Some people misinterpret this as a "charge".

If you have a wounded one trapped with no escape, it will fight to the death, but for the most part, you never have to worry about being attacked by hogs.
>>
File: SlutsWithJavalinas.jpg (246KB, 1120x632px) Image search: [Google]
SlutsWithJavalinas.jpg
246KB, 1120x632px
As far as using handguns for hunting. Back when I lived in Arizona I used to hunt Javelina with a scoped .357 magnum and it worked fine.
>>
File: 1470010623446.jpg (221KB, 1015x737px) Image search: [Google]
1470010623446.jpg
221KB, 1015x737px
friendly reminder
>>
File: IMG_6648.png (783KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6648.png
783KB, 750x1334px
>>927416
I don't know about "most powerful", but you've definitely got "strangest" nailed down.
>>
>>927030
>I'll be able to find everything I need to know at myfwc?
Yes. That's the official website. You can even buy hunting and fishing licenses online there.
>>
>>927356
So... Could you field dress a pig right then and there or do you mean "get it back to the truck asap and do it when you get home?" Also, what kind of knife would you use?" I'll be looking up the proper way to skin one, but they usually leave that information out.

Are coyote bad eating? I always figured they'd be really good for some reason. Would I be viewed as some sort of barbarian if I ate them? Same question applies for raccoon and rabbit.
>>
>>927348
Thanks anon, you've been a great help! Part of the reason I like /out/ so much is that you guys are always bros.
>>
>>927629
Just use a hunting knife. And yes, the fresher the kill when you put it on ice, the better the meat will be on the back end.

Raccoon and rabbit are very good eating, as any true country boy can attest to. Coyote...is not, but it is both invasive and predatory to other game species. Their pelts are also worth decent money ($30 each for prime examples), so they've got that going for them.
>>
>>927672
Good to know, how do I find somebody to buy them? Do you than the pelts yourself or pay somebody else to do it for you? I'm assuming board hide is virtually worthless
>>
>>927691
I imagine raccoon pelts are valuable to some degree too, could be wrong tho.
>>
>>927691
>>927693
You just prep the hides yourself. They don't need to be tanned, just stretched out and defleshed.
Raccoon pelts are also pretty valuable. Just how valuable is up to the market, however.
Just go and do and you can make a little money.
>>
File: 1480059123138.jpg (38KB, 570x539px) Image search: [Google]
1480059123138.jpg
38KB, 570x539px
>>925705

holy kek as an asian who had my share of racism (mostly from gun-hating liberals, mind you) I secretly wondered the same thing. I don't want to be hunting alone and get raped by a roving band of rednecks Deliverance style

speaking of hunting alone, the most likely danger is yourself. Most accidents are people being retarded - shooting themselves, falling off something and breaking a bone, not taking proper precautions. It's unlikely that some hick will shoot at you, especially if you're wearing orange and carrying a loaded problem-solver.

Taking a hunting course and then get a mentor. Hunt with others first. Pretty retarded to be a noob with a weapon out alone in the woods anyway.
>>
>>927630
Yes, you can clean a pig with just about anything sharp. My first choice would be a 3 or 4 inch tear drop blade. You do not need a long blade, but can make one work.

Here is a tip for you. Hog hair is very course and it will dull a knife like nobodies business. You have to cut through the hair at first, but then run your knife from the inside out.

In other words slide the blade between the hide and the body and cut outward. This will reduce the amount of hair you cut.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating a coyote, I think it is more of a social concept of eating a dog. The same reason we don't eat horses...at least in the U.S.

I am glad I could help some in this thread. I like passing down this tradition, and get way more out of helping others these days.
>>
>>925705
Whiteface and you'll be fine
>>
>>925979
Holy fuck thats the most American story I've ever heard. Here in Canada I had to take a course, fill out a bunch of paperwork, which included 3 long time references and submit a picture, just to apply for a gun license. It's been 2 months and I'm still waiting for it in the mail...

Now if I want a handgun, It's another seperate course and application. Then if I buy a pistol, I'm only allowed to take it to the range and back..
>>
>>927738
canada sounds nice
>>
>>927738
To be fair I had to fill out a form and wait around for 5 minutes.
>>
>>927747
They needed 5 minutes to verify your FREEDOM
>>
>>927751
Yeah, that's actually exactly what happened. Made sure I wasn't a felon and that was that. Freedom feels really nice.
>>
>>927629
>Same question applies for raccoon and rabbit.

Be careful with rabbit. If you get them at the wrong time of year they can be filled with parasites. One time I pulled the pelt off a rabbit and there were these long white worm looking parasites squirming around under the pelt. Needless to say I didn't eat that rabbit.

I also remember once my uncle was talking about how he shot a deer once and when he walked up to it he saw that its whole body was covered with ticks, like ticks shoulder to shoulder just covering it. Nature can be nasty.
>>
>>928032
I've seen piles of ticks on every deer I've ever seen come out of the woods down South.
If you're worried about catching Lyme Disease from the deer meat, don't be. LD attacks the nerve tissues, so as long as you don't eat the deer's brain, you'll be fine.
>>
>>925702
Most if not all states require the completion of a hunter ed course. This is usually just basic stuff like "Don't put the muzzle of the gun up your ass with the safety off." You can find more info about that on the website for your state's department of natural resources or department of fish and game. Once you get that you can buy licenses and permits. Most states have it set to where you buy a general hunting license each year and then additional permits for each species you want to hunt. So for example, my state will charge a resident $20 for a license and then $30 for a deer permit(which generally allows for more than one kill.) The next step is to find a place to hunt. You can hunt on public land and private land. So either find a friend who has land that he'll let you hunt on, or locate a nearby Wildlife Management area or park and look up their rules for hunting. Then, after completing education, buying licenses and permits,and finding a place to hunt, you just show up on opening day and go at it.
>>
>>925702
why do you get into freediving and learn to spearfish. thats twice as manly as sitting in a tree stand waiting for something to walk by and kill it.
>>
>>929290
Thanks anon.
>>929432
If you read the thread you'd know I have no interest in tree stands and would prefer to work the field with pistol & blade.

That said, I like your recommendation and just might look into that. Plan to master Land first though, I'll get to sea and air in good time, assuming I don't end up dead some place.
>>
>>925705
>>925719
>>925745
>>925766
>>925949
>>926327
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.f77bddba56a7

For all you guys talking about the racist thing, white majority countries are actually the least racist in the world along with SA countries. So you're probably good. Shit is way overblown by the media.
>>
>>927319
Ruger chambered in Russian round, now I'm intrigued. What is it?
>>
>>929953

It's not about other countries having more issues with racism in White majority countries. It's racism in the South. Just like how American/European economy is way stronger than the vast majority of other countries, but the economy is still an issue for people in the Mid-west and saying, "But at least the NATO alliance is doing better economically than XYZ" isn't really addressing it.

Even then, I still think it's not so bad that people in the south need to worry about getting shot up while hunting.
>>
Hunting is very safe. There are accidents every year where people get hurt or even killed. Most of the time they do it to themselves, like falling out of a tree or turning over a boat while duck hunting.

Some times an idiot will shoot at something he is not sure what it is, a movement or a sound and shoot someone else. Or the idiot will accidently shoot himself.

Racism is not a player here. Hunters are not backwoods hillbillies, with a jug of moonshine and a double barrel shotgun.

If you are worried about that, you pay a lease or trespass fee so that you have the private rights to hunt a property. You and perhaps a few friends. Then you will not encounter anyone else and have the woods to yourself.

If you can't afford that, you may be forced to hunt on public land, but you are more likely to run into; mountain bikers, hikers, horseback riders, bird watchers, etc....than anyone dangerous.
>>
>>925705
And I'm worried about going into the city and being mugged by a gang of Jamals but that doesn't stop me from getting out.
>>
>>930322
>And I'm worried about going into the city and being mugged by a gang of Jamals but that doesn't stop me from getting out.

>Implying tons of people don't legitimately have this fear and that they don't avoid specific places/people as a result
>>
Minority anon here. Grew up in the burbs and didn't start hunting till after age 25. The racism bit isn't really a thing. The only Hicks I ever ran into were real chill, one even helped me gut my first deer. Just be chill, most other hunters get it and have been there. It is a dying activity and they are glad to see new people taking up the sport. The number of hunters nowadays is a fraction of what it was before. The more people getting into it the better.
>>
>>926327
I didn't think blacks were a minority in Mississippi?
>mfw I stepped off the plane in SC and I was the only white person for miles.
>>
>>926419
>so an Lambush is unlikely

I looked it up:
A Lambush is when a herd of sheep pounces on you out of nowhere and forces you to purchase a mattress.

>>927691
Boar pelts make decent footballs, but are also sometimes fried and eaten by some cultures, I understand this to be a delicacy call pork "rinds".
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.