[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoor tents/bivy sacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1480132165530.jpg (398KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1480132165530.jpg
398KB, 1600x1000px
What does /out/ like or use when it comes to tents or sleeping gear when out on a 2-3 day venture. I looking at rei for something I can carry into a backpack that will be warm and useful.

Taking suggestions.
>>
>>925294
normally I hust build a shelter. I take a gerber serated knifeand baton down a few trees. this saves me over 2 pounds.

whatever you do don't listen to those asshat "salesman" clowns at rei.

you should probably just go to amazon and type "tent" if the delivery is over a week that is how you know it is foreign quality.
>>
>>925299
Gotcha. I was looking on line anyways.

What's the thing about season specifics? When shopping it said 3 season, 4 season and 3-4 season. Does that have to do with warmth and protection from weather?
>>
>>925306
no it has to do with the color. all tents are pretty much the same when you get out of wallmqrt teir. and even those only suck from their poles.

just buy the absolute lightest chinese made tent on amazon it will be fine in february. but bring a knife just in case.
>>
>>925322
Roger that. Looking at some nice little 2 person backpacking tents.

I always have a small buck knife on me and in my pack I have a 7" kabar utility knife. Used it a few times to split wood.

thank you for your help anon
>>
Difference on 3 season tents and 4 seasons usually comes down to Structure, poles and snow environment use. For example, a 4 season tent is useful if you expect heavy snowfall and are using a tent longterm in wet, windy, snowy condition. It will take longer to set up due to the amount of poles and tie-offs to ensure it has good longevity.
>>
File: uvumamyp.jpg (162KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
uvumamyp.jpg
162KB, 1024x768px
>>925294
I use a polish lavuu, cheap and durable but on the heavy/bulky side, if you can take the extra weight it's an excellent shelter for a short expedition
>>
>>925299
I wouldn't listen to this guy if I were you OP. Building a shelter is time and energy consuming, and even the best built natural shelters aren't going to rival a tent (unless you go Primitive Technology and spend days and days building it with tons of care).

It also will attract heat/attention from people if they see you going all paul bunion on public lands. If I saw you batonning trees and building some sort of shelter, I'd probably ask if you were ok and if you were lost.

>>925294
As for shelters, you've got a ton of options. I like stringing up a poncho for a tarp, and using a cheap sheet of plastic as a ground sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZXECBI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl_encoding=UTF8&colid=2DFV5W3HJ2WN3&coliid=IPAQLGGK70I6V

I have a few ponchos like this, and they work well.

If it's going to rain hard, or if there's going to be a ton of bugs, I'd get a tent. That comes down to budget really. REI half-domes are pretty legit for the price, but shitty Walmart tents can be serviceable if you read up on condensation, how to modify tents to be slightly better, and maybe pitch a tarp over the tent.

Bivies are cheap (ish) and fun, but they do have a fair amount of condensation. They work nicely in tandem with ponchos.
>>
The acu army issue bivvy is golden if you have an air mat to slide in it. Completely water proof and it holds the heat in. My buddy slept in a thunderstorm with one and came out dry, expect for condensation.
>>
Couple good tarps and some paracord will get you a long way
If you want an actual pole tent then I found this little Eureaka thing at Cabela's, it's a one man that weighs like fucking nothing, something like 3lbs total, stakes and everything
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.