[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homesteadanons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

Your homestead stories or advice.

Ranging from tips on making money with your land -to- bragging.

Also welcome: urban gardeners.
>>
File: nature.png (205KB, 1260x970px) Image search: [Google]
nature.png
205KB, 1260x970px
how to acquire a /homestead/gf?
>>
>>924723
Basic social skills
>>
>>924710
>making money with your land
that is called farming. homesteading is idiots planting beets and raising chickens on a quarter acre.
>>
>>924761
If you sell a portion of your produce at a farmers market you can consider it a business in which case you can take advantage of huge tax write offs, especially if you spend more money than you make. Solid retirement plan imo
>>
>>924785
I have a business degree, so I took accounting. unless you are making iver 5.5k, it is a hobby. and what exactly are you making money on? deductions on horse shit expenditures?

you don't know a thing about farming and even less about taxes. go back to gearfagging meme stoves.
>>
>>924797
You dont know anything about accounting with your fucking meme degree so stfu and strap yourself into your gearfag gearbox and ill show you how to deduct your mora knife as a business expense faggot
>>
>>924800
anyone can deduct a mora, but it isn't legal or ethical. making a meme garden takes time which is not deductible no matter what and horse shit. and I am sure the figure has changed since I took accounting 201 but unless you make5.5k it is aa hobby, not a business.

now there could be massive property tax deductions for claiming your home as agriculture, but that is state by state.

and, just fyi, accounting degrees are business degrees. bba. you fucking clueless retard.
>>
>>924803

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at an Ivy League university, and I’ve been involved in numerous accounting classes, and I have over 300 hours training in deduction. I am trained in t budgets and I’m the top student in my entire year. You are nothing to me but just another meme degree. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.
>>
>>924811
t account: credit
>>
>>924811
Topkek
>>
>>924710
I run a small farm. The biggest thing to do is get rid of all your debt and don't use credit cards. After you are debt free, everything is a cake walk.

>>924797
It depends on what state you live in. Where I live, you only need to raise $2k worth of animal, flowers, vegetables, etc to get the "small farm" kickbacks for both taxes and farm subsidies. Most people own a couple goats/horses and raise a garden or let their field be baled for hay and straw all of which are over $2k. They do it specifically for the kickbacks. You don't even need to sell anything at all to get it. I get it because it is something extra for doing what I already do as a way of life.
>>
>>924829
but that is state agricultural shit. it has nothing to do with federal deductions.

I had a client when I was in school. big fucking company. and theyhad.a pen with 4 cows on every peice of property they owned. why? because their giant business parks got taxed at agriculture levels.

but we never tried to deduct the hay prices because at the profitcenter level they were not legitimate businesses.

your fucking chicken coop and alfalfa garden is not a legitamite business to the federal tax man unless you sold 5.5k worth of alfalfa.
>>
>>924834
>federal tax

Eh, you mean federal income tax or corporate tax? That is separate and doesn't apply to a non-corporate business. Here the small farm tax is a business tax here and you pay it quarterly. I have a separate business too and that also uses quarterlies for taxation. None of which have anything to do with federal income tax or corporate tax. No one here is talking about corporations except you it seems which has nothing to do with the OP's thread about homesteading.
>>
>>924838
do you really rhink that the feds only tax corporations?

you have a smart accountant but legally only corporations must report quarterly. and that is not even really a tax law, but the irs uses it.

you, if you are a single owner farmer, must report yearly. and your tractor.is deductible, along with your horse shit.

if a company owns your farm and you are a modern sharecropper/slave then yes, you have to report quarterly. but yous best just do what massa says.
>>
>>924838
also, even most churches report taxes quarterly, even they owe no taxes. anyone with a paid accountant reports them quarterly. otherwise your accountant wouldn't have anything to do in july.

it is too late now, but the mjor tax houses do training every uear for like 50 bucks. it is recruiting for their tax preparers, but even if you don't want the job taking it once is pretty eye opening to taxes.
>>
>>924841
I'm sorry if taxes are different than mine where you live, but I'll take my attorney's advice over yours.
>>
>>924844
lol. you incorporated and have an attorney for your quarter acre alfalfa farm?

yea. no actually call him up and ask.
>>
File: 213213a.png (243KB, 920x319px) Image search: [Google]
213213a.png
243KB, 920x319px
>>924845
An "attorney" is a "lawyer" and most people check with one, every few years, when setting up their taxes. It is a thing grown ups do. Your Home Education teacher should tell you about it once you are in high school.
>>
>>924844
get yor attourney to explain the nuances of federal vs state law pertaining to your beet farden.

that is actually a 300 dollar deductible expense.
>>
>>924846
I have never once paid for an attorney or an accountant. knowing anout the accountant feild and having many attourney friends I am aware that they charge 200 dollars per hour for filling out forms you can get online for free.

the tax laws qre published.
>>
>>924851
It is deductible, kid.
>>
>>924854
do you even know what a deductible is? after the obamacare fiasco I think most americans have no idea.

ok.so in tax terms. a deductible is essentially a loss that you get to exclude from your earnings. that is as simple as i can put it.
>>
File: 1472554916671.jpg (15KB, 236x219px) Image search: [Google]
1472554916671.jpg
15KB, 236x219px
>>924856
I get paid money when I do my taxes due to deductions and kickbacks.
>>
>>924856
>a deductible is essentially a loss that you get to exclude from your earnings.

Tax deduction you mong.
>>
>>924861
you are defrauding the government. your personal time is non deductible.

I reported this thread to the irs.
>>
>>924862
what the fuck did you think I was talking about? you are so fucking clueless. anyone who ever filled out their own full foem 1040 should recognize that as the actual definiton of a tax deduction.
>>
>>924710
Get chickens, they'll pay for themselves with eggs, they are fun to watch, trainable, and keep themselves surprisingly clear.

Cons: can get annoying, will try to eat any and everything, will find ways into everything, shits everywhere, hides eggs, medium-high mortality rate as you/they learn.
>>
>>924870
yes pls fo this. as your portland neighbors grow.to hage you, you will still end up buying 5 dollar "organic" eggs from whole foods.
>>
>>924870
>the one comment not derailing the homesteading thread with tax shit

Thanks m8
>>
>>924875
oh for fucks sake you moronic hippie, buy a shit ton of chickens.
>>
>>924876
Not OP and can't stand chickens. Great talk though.
>>
>>924870
This.

I am expanding to 40 chickens and 2 roosters this spring. They literally print money. Their crap is amazing for fertilizer. I can't sell enough eggs as it is. But, you need proper and clean nest boxes so they will use that instead.

The only ones with mortality rates like that are the cornish x rock which will have a heart attack in the first year if you don't butcher them They are a terrible breed really. The other breeds last years and years.
>>
File: 1481820387911.jpg (68KB, 805x935px) Image search: [Google]
1481820387911.jpg
68KB, 805x935px
>>924811
>>
>>924884
I pray that your neighbirs murder you.
>>
>>924870
Any experience with ducks? I've heard they're easier to care for and cleaner than chickens and produce larger eggs.
>>
Learn what grows good in your area, I grew up in central Texas, so peppers, squash, zucchini, okra, tomatos, beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts are surprisingly hardy, radishes, garlic, onions. Sorghum was planted in the fields around us so corn never took off, and we haven't had any luck with potatoes.

The way we had our garden set up was, rows 1 1/2 - 2ft apart for drainage, easier pickings, re-mounding, and grow space. Row setup was: east to west, corn (as shade and a wind break), tomatos, peppers, other peppers, radishes/ sprouts, squash/ zucchini, okra, and asparagus.
>>
>>924887
They have more chickens and farm animals than I will ever have.
>>
>>924889
Ducks have a season for laying eggs and that season is extremely short for most breeds. You'll need to train them to go in a shelter at night if you don't have a pond and it isn't frozen over. Or, a good electric fence that predators can't get through. Chickens are a bit easier to train to go into a shelter at night than ducks. I keep a padlock on my coop so racoons don't jimmy it open after feed.
>>
>>924884
Well our first two batches of birds were cornish, rock, new england reds, and ideals, so our luck might have been skewed, also coyotes.

>>924892 thing I forgot to add to this, ground cover, we had this clover like covering growing on and between the rows, it helped keep the ground from drying out as quickl, and choked out the grass/weeds where it was.
>>
>>924864
Do they have a partyvan?
>>
>>924723
Get a horse and go to Gymkhanas, rodeos and barrel races
>>
>>924889
DEFINITELY not cleaner than chickens. That's the main reason I hate keeping them, at least in a coop. When they eat food they require water to wash it down immediately, which means their water source will get extremely dirty as soon as they use it. They also love swimming in water, naturally, so if their source of water is big enough for them to stand/swim in, they will do it. Everything in the area will turn to mud. I don't want to bash ducks, though. Just want to get it across that they're very messy animals. They're also more vulnerable to predators than chickens are (unless they've got a body of water to escape to).

There are many upsides too, however. They can lay larger eggs than chickens if you don't get an especially small breed. Their eggs are also way more delicious (in my opinion). And they can lay more eggs than chickens. If you're in it for eggs, though, make sure you get the right breed. Runner ducks are the best layers. Laying more eggs on average annually than even leghorn chickens. I think khaki Campbells are good too and some other breeds you can choose from.

Ducks and chickens both have pros and cons. I prefer chickens. If my setup were different I might prefer ducks. It's all situational and comes down to personal preference and ability.
>>
File: tumblr_nt3ko5rO9R1tj1uzko1_500.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt3ko5rO9R1tj1uzko1_500.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
I want to make money with my homestead, but I don't want to talk to people.

I just want it to be like halloween or garbage pick up. I leave something on the front step, they pick it up ... but they leave some shekels behind.

However I don't want them on my property either.

I free roam my pigs, provide/spend nothing but water and shelter. I'm proud of that.
>>
>>927706
Can you get us pics of your setup anon?
>>
>>927706
I'd find someone to sell your stuff for you at a farmers market depending on your location to town. That way he buys your stuff cheap you make some money and don't have to socialize.
Better to have to talk to a single person than potentially talk to dozens
>>
>>924843
gimmie the deets anonkun, i will catch it next year if i have to
>>
itt a twelve year old and two adults discuss taxes, and some chicken talk.
>>
>>924803
>isn't legal or ethical

>taxation
>ethical

hahahahhahahahahah, fuck me. Best laugh I've had all day, cheers mate.
>>
I was throwing around the idea of a mixed orchard/Grove of sorts utilizing about an acre of land. In this Grove would be oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, peaches, plums, walnut, pecan a few oak trees and a few blackberry bushes and a beehive. I figured two to four trees per type.

It's in Florida so abundant rain in the summer and mild winters. Mostly I just wanted to do something with the land and if I'm planting trees I might as well plant fruit/nut bearing trees to promote wildlife and invite friends and family to pick fruit or nuts when in season

Any constructive thoughts?
>>
>>924723
They don't exist. At least, not in first world countries
>>
>>927976

>you, lives in Florida where anything can grow
>me, lives in canada where i could die from being snowed in

You're a whiny sonivabitch. How's that for constructive criticism.

Kidding.

What's the growth time before they can bear fruit?
Just make sure you have a guide on effective pruning.

The bees sound like a fun experiment if you've never done it before. That honey might be more valuable than the fruits.

Beehive would be something I'd like to try way down the road... or maybe set up natural one to see how they do without any maintenence.
>>
>>928102

Plenty "free spirits" exist. The same ones that romantasize being homeless. They soon realize that they like being pampered and leave back to the city life and lights.

Unless she's part native american, you're not going to find a QT.
>>
>>924710
Fuck yeah urban gardening! My gf and I have two squarefoot gardens; one of them is currently full of garlic hopefully growing huge and awesome for the spring.
>>
File: 1483594287961.png (81KB, 297x326px) Image search: [Google]
1483594287961.png
81KB, 297x326px
>see this thread
>oh neat
>this could be interesting
>expecting people sharing stories and offering advice
>it's a bunch of autists yelling at each other over inane details
>everyone's calling the other retarded

I hate all of you
>>
>>929183
But do you deduct your taxes?
>>
>>929185
I about to deduct myself from life
>>
>>924797
can easily earn 1K per market (1 -2 markets per week per growing season)
>>
>>924710
check out silvopasture techniques, low impact/no till farming to improve yield to input ratio

maybe watch a curtis stone talk about how he earns his living on 1/2 acre of rotational quick seed to harvest greens and a local network of sales.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.